Home PEx Hobbies Anime and Manga

Pokemon: is it bad for the kids?????

I heard it in da news that even in class hours, this kids trade in their pokemon cards, draw pokemon characters and other stuff about pokemon.
in the U.S. they are thinking of banning pokemon from the kids in the usa.
Do you agree?????

Comments

• Hey Y2K-G_21, The Rock definitely doesn't agree with that. Basically what they're doing is like trying to ban the tamagotchis here in the Philippines a few years ago. It's not the kids fault that their teachers can't enforce discipline on them. The teachers just have to be stricter in implementing the rules that do not allow playing of any sort, whether it's Pokemon, Magic the Gathering, action figures or whatever. There's a proper place and time for everything. Even play.

It's true that pokemon is very addicting, hey The Rock enjoys watching it, but discipline is all that the teachewrs should learn to give these kids. It's like how celphones are banned from being used during class hours. If it goes off, confiscate it. Therefore, if the kid trades Pokemon cards, plays with Pokemon on the Game Boy, or draws Pokemon while not paying attention in class, they should be reprimanded.

Kids should be allowed their freedom to play, but there have to be limits within the confines of an educational institution or during study time at home. If you smell what The Rock is cookin!
  • CaRaMBaCaRaMBa Administrator PEx Moderator
    I dont think the question can be answered with an outright 'yes' or 'no'. It's bad for the kids IF the parents and teachers cannot discipline them - if their studies are affected, if their dealings with other kids are affected, and all that. But if the kids are taught and trained to have self-discipline, then there won't be any problem.

Banning Pokemon isn't the solution to the problem, because it doesn't deal with the root of the problem. Even if they ban Pokemon, another Anime or game or whatever can take its place. But if children are disciplined, then there won't be any problem, even with all the tamagochi's and Pokemons and Gameboys. :)
  • Wala namang nangyayari sa akin a! So I guess okay lang yon. :)

I guess this where good parenting comes in. You just can't tell children that this is bad because they probably won't understand it at all. Probably children just have to be told that these things don't have a place in school, but instead there's a proper time for engaging in these activities.
  • IraIra PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    In the same manner that Voltes V, Mazinger Z and all the other robots were accused as being a bad influence on students, Pokemon is, too. But I have personally never heard of a kid killing another one because he saw Pikachu do it on television. Nor do I see warped adults who have grown up with an overdose of robot culture. So what's so bad about Pokemon? Kids will be kids.

These trends with children are just that: trends. It's not bad per se, but like everyone here says, it's up to the adults to guide the children on what is and what is not appropriate. Giving them some leeway on what they consider fun isn't necessarily leading them to a life of evil. But restricting or even banning them from playing with Pokemon even when it's time to play will just make them want to play with Pokemon more.
  • hmm.. so you mean to say... coincidence lang yung pagkakaroon ng epilepsy ng kids who watched POKEMON sa States???

kamangha-mangha!!! (lalim non, ah!)
  • edi bad pala ang NBA???????
    kasi nagtratrade din sila ng cards and big thing sa states yon!
    It shoudn't be banned talaga!
    black: Clarification lang--the seizures were brought about by the television's flashing, not because of Pokemon per se. It would have also happened if they were watching 700 Club for several hours. :)
  • Hi. The seizures caused by the Pokemon anime was made by the combination of colors on the screen. (You can't get seizures by watching TV all day long... although you may get sterile from the radiation by doing so...)

They were trying to experiment a new animation technique... which unfortunately uh, back-fired...

...anyways, it happened in Japan and they have already banned the episode, so the English series playing right now is supposedly safe.
    er...as a matter of fact, if you are prone to seizures, you can get seizures from watching TV all day long. Colors cannot trigger seizures. The flashing lights and flickers of TVs and computers are known trigger factors for convulsions. These seizures are termed "photosensitive epilepsy". That's why we limit our patients with seizures to only 1-2 hours a day in front of the television or the computer.

Apologies to Caramba and Y2K-G_21 for going off-topic.
  • hello! sobrang cute ni pikachu para maging bad no! lol.giflol.giflol.gif
  • I agree what the rock said! ganun din ang sniabi ko dapat! nauna lang sya! :)
  • clawed_outclawed_out PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    evil.gifevil.gif pika Pika! evil.gifevil.gif

it's pretty entertaining...but a little violent
  • Well --- basta't sinabi mong POKEMON --- huwag lang kakalimutan ang N sa dulo --hmmm hmmm hmmm -- OR ELSE IBA NA IYAN! lol.gif
  • clawed_out! hindi ka siguro nanonood ng mga anime no?! one of the most boring na nga yun e!
  • SubwaySubway PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I think it ain't bad, besides, I never heard kids trading pokemon cards, bringing figures to school and bringing gameboys(few). What should be discussed is the rampant fad of TAMIYA and GOKEY mini-4WD's. Some schools are starting to ban them. It needs only moderation.
  • Originally posted by clawed_out
    but a little violent

:lol:
  • I agree with what the moderators said (I don't have to explain na about this, they did it). It's not bad like that it promotes killing or getting people electrocuted somehow and it's just a matter of discipline. They are still kids after all and control for them is harder in the sense of playing.
  • OT: Sometime during the climax of Magic:The Gathering I saw some of my classmates trying to get rid of their opponent's 20/20 life during class hours (while the teacher was discussing some boring lesson).