Home PEx Chat Small Talk

Is posting your charity/giving help on social media in poor taste?

gladyskawaiigladyskawaii PEx Rookie ⭐
I just read a news this morning about a celebrity who got bashed on socmed because she posted on her account a photo that shows her donating to people in need. Some said she’s just showing off and should just help in silence if her intentions are clean.

Comments

• ameleensyameleensy 🙄 PEx Expert 🎖️
    I think the reaction depends on how people perceive the one doing the kind deed/act if charity. Posting it on social media kasi also helps put forward the advocacy and increase awareness. This works esp. if you have credibility and a good following. 

What I consistently find tacky are posts that go: "Eto si Kuya/Ate.... Nakita ko sya kanina sa... Tinanong ko sya...." and then follows a sob story and then whatever tulong that person gave the subject. Also those posts about good Uber or Grab drivers, etc. 

First of all, do these people even know you're scoring popularity off their life story? Most of the time kasi, I see posts like those as invasion of privacy. They also tend to take away the person's dignity by broadcasting their life story/despair/misery for the entire world to gawk at. All for the purpose of some social media ***** trying to gain some much needed attention. 

• hardrivehardrive PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I think its ok naman
    Kasi nakaka engayo gumawa din ng mabuti
  • ameleensyameleensy 🙄 PEx Expert 🎖️
    edited April 2018 #4
    I think it works if the intention is to promote awareness and gain support for the advocacy. If you have a significant following, that translates to people potentially sharing in your cause.

In the case of this celeb who got bashed, I'm gonna guess hindi kasi sya credible :p I think there are certain people whose integrity and sincerity are PERCEIVED as better than others. Sorry na lang sya, people have always seen her as a social climbing wannabe  :#

What I personally find tacky are those posts about random people (cab drivers, Uber/Grab drivers, old people, old indigents, random kids...)

The posts usually start with a setting, then a sob story, then statements of admiration from the poster, then a litany of "we should count our blessings... I realized I've been so lucky... Sana lahat ng bata ganito..."

When it gets to that part, I start cringing. Kasi first of all: does this person know you are broadcasting his or her life woes and struggles for the world to gawk at? There's a little dignity lost there. If you want to help, you didn't have to score likes and reactions to do that. Basta, it just feels fake and humblebragging to me. We're all so addicted to making ourselves look good and compassionate at the expense of other people. We need to stop congratulating ourselves for being kind — it's the minimum requirement. Parang wowowee lang e.  
  • SamanthaBSamanthaB PEx Rookie ⭐
    edited May 2018 #5
    It's good to see posts of people doing charitable works. Just like what @hardrive said, these kind of posts inspire us to also do good. Regarding the "bashers", we can do nothing about them. They have their own opinions and they are free to voice it out. But it should not stop someone from showing the community some good deed. I'll agree with @ameleensy , posting on social media somehow helps increase awareness and put forward the advocacy.
  • C.I.C.C.IC.I.C.C.I PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    It's Tacky ...