Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

THE DARKEST MINDS (2018)

forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator

“THE DARKEST MINDS” TRAILER DEBUT

via press release

From the producers of “Stranger Things” comes the latest YA book-to-movie “The Darkest Minds” based on the book by author Alexandra Bracken and directed by Jennifer Yuh Nelson (Kung Fu Panda 1&3).    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGyrqOIMp-Q&t=1s   

“The Darkest Minds” breaks out when teens mysteriously develop powerful new abilities, they are declared a threat by the government and detained. Sixteen-year-old Ruby (Amandla Stenberg), one of the most powerful young people anyone has encountered, escapes her camp and joins a group of runaway teens seeking safe haven. Soon this newfound family realizes that, in a world in which the adults in power have betrayed them, running is not enough and they must wage a resistance, using their collective power to take back control of their future.

“What blew me away about the story was the amazing, emotional core.  It was what made the book so resonant and memorable.  The characters are not soft-peddled, but show strength far beyond their years. This is a story about friendship and love in the face of a terrible threat… that even if the world falls apart around you, the strange adopted family of your closest friends can see you through. The actors felt that on set, and it was wonderful seeing their bond grow so tight.  This is a story of finding that light in the darkness, and the real reasons we have to fight,” says director Nelson.

Likewise, producer Shawn Levy shares, “The Darkest Minds sits alongside our movie Arrival and TV show Stranger Things in being a sci-fi drama that’s strongly rooted in character.  My colleagues at 21 Laps and I fell in love with Alexandra’s novel several years ago, and its theme— of young people with powers coming to embrace their collective power — is more resonant now than ever before.  The fact that Jen Nelson’s film communicated this rich theme within an action-packed thrill ride that’s as poignant as it is fun – well, that’s exactly the kind of movie I love to see and help make.”

“The Darkest Minds” also stars Mandy Moore, Gwendolyn Christie, Harris Dickinson, Patrick Gibson, Skylan Brooks and Miya Cech.  The movie opens August 2018 from 20th Century Fox.

Comments

• forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    Opens Aug. 1, 2018

STRANGER THINGS PRODUCERS ADAPT BEST-SELLING BOOK “THE DARKEST MINDS” TO FILM   

From the best-selling book of the same title by Alexandra Bracken and the first in YA trilogy, “The Darkest Minds” brings the latest powerful pack of young adults who survived an incurable virus set in a turbulent America where 98% of the children’s population has died of a mysteries disease, deeming the 2% of the surviving children enemies of the state and forcing them on the run.

Producing “The Darkest Minds” are Fox-based 21 Laps’ (Stranger Things, Arrival) Shawn Levy and Dan Levine along with Dan Cohen and John Starke.  “‘The Darkest Minds’ has been an interesting journey because we got the rights to the book five years ago and that was when as a company, 21 Laps, was known predominantly as a comedy or tent pole family film kind of company,” says Shawn Levy, whose company 21 Laps is producing the film. “But I always knew we wanted to move into this different space; a space that is what I would I call ‘character-anchored genre’,”

“I think this story had a timeless theme,” adds the film’s producer Dan Levine. “And it’s so universal, in that it’s about kids growing up into teenagers and discovering that they they’re different, which people don’t understand, especially adults and the government. So they’re thrown into camps. And the story follows these children becoming young adults and learning to stand up for themselves and protect themselves. I think the fear of fitting in and the search for acceptance often follows us into adulthood.”

“There are number of themes that kind of run through the spine of the movie,” says Levy. “It’s very much a film about belonging and in that regards, this movie happens to be about kids with some powers, but there’s no one who’s ever lived who hasn’t wrestled with that search for identity.  It’s a search that is often at its most heightened in adolescence, and so that’s the focus of our film.”

“It is ultimately about a small group of kids with powers, super-human powers, that they don’t yet fully understand, who find each other by being collectively on the run from the authorities.  And it’s about the way in which they rely on and connect with each other as they search for others like them. It might be dealing with intense themes and events, but the movie is fundamentally really hopeful.  It’s hopeful about the possibility of connection and the possibility of acceptance, says Levy.

“The Darkest Minds” Amandla Stenberg (The Hunger Games) as “Ruby Daly”, Harris Dickinson (Beach Rats), as “Liam Stewart”, Miya Cech (American Horror Story) as “Zu”, Skylan Brooks (Southpaw),  as “Chubs”, Mandy Moore (This Is Us) as “Cate”, Patrick Gibson (The OA) as “Clancy Gray”, Lidya Jewett (Hidden Figures)  as “Young Ruby” and Gwendoline Christie (Game of Thrones) as “Lady Jane”.

“The Darkest Minds” opens August 1 in PH cinemas nationwide from 20th Century Fox. 

HUNGER GAMES CHILD STAR AMANDLA STENBERG LEADS LATEST YA ACTION THRILLER “THE DARKEST MINDS”

The latest YA thrilling road trip movie “The Darkest Minds” trails surviving children who have been locked up in rehabilitation camps and are regarded as enemies of the state.  Starring in this bestselling book adaptation from author Alexandra Bracken are Hollywood’s up and coming exciting young actors – Amandla Stenberg (Hunger Games, Everything, Everything), Harris Dickinson (Beach Rats), , Miya Cech (American Horror Story), Skylan Brooks (Southpaw),  along with Mandy Moore (This Is Us), Patrick Gibson (The OA), Lidya Jewett (Hidden Figures)  and Gwendoline Christie (Game of Thrones).  

Set in a dystopian America, Ruby (Stenberg) woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that’s killed most of America’s children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.   When the truth comes out upon turning sixteen, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. She soon joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam (Dickinson), their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close.

“This story is about a world that is not very different from ours,” observes Amandla Stenberg, who stars as Ruby Daly. “But some really drastic things have happened.  The majority of the population of children has died.  And the kids who are left have developed these mental abilities that are inexplicable.  And so, because of these abilities, the adults are afraid of them and they put them into camps.  And so, this particular story focuses on this girl who escapes from one of these camps and what happens when she finds a family of her own on the outside,”.

“Casting Ruby was kind of the make-or-break decision on this film.  She’s in almost every frame and I confess, I’ve known Amandla for several years because she happened to have gone to the same school as my older daughters.  And so I would see Amandla in school plays.  And even when she was fourteen, it was very evident that this young woman was special.  She’s not only very commanding on a stage and on a screen, as Rue in ‘Hunger Games’, I saw her as a Teen Idol singing “Beauty School Dropout” in “Grease” and she was awesome as that, too!” says producer Shawn Levy. 

“The character of Ruby is pretty tough,” says Stenberg. “And she’s also kind of introverted, the way that she’s written in the book.  And so in bringing her to life on the screen, we thought about things that we can do to show all facets of her, because we’re unable to read into her mind like you can when you read the book. I think she is really passionate.  She stands her ground.  She knows what she wants. That’s what I like a lot about her.  But she’s also really thoughtful and kind of keeps to herself. I think she’s a lot like me.”

In discussing what drew her to the project, Stenberg says, “The storyline and the meaning of the storyline was something that immediately excited me about this project. I think there are some parallels between this story and the world we’re living in today.”

From 20th Century Fox, road trip with the squad starts August 1 when “The Darkest Mind” opens in PH cinemas nationwide. 

SURVIVAL OF STRONG AND POWERFUL KIDS THREATENED IN “THE DARKEST MINDS”

The latest engrossing book-to-film adaptation “The Darkest Minds” is set in a very near future society where most of the nation’s children have perished – all victims of a terrible disease. The surviving children are considered to be dangerous Enemies of the State because they possess extraordinary powers and therefore pose a threat to the government.

In the movie, the nation is in a state of crisis, 98 percent of the children have died. For the few who remain, it’s a fight to stay alive. The kids and teenagers, who all have remarkable powers and abilities, have been taken from their families and sent for brutal ‘rehabilitation’.  Here they are segregated by color according to how dangerous to society they are deemed to be. Amandla Stenberg (“Hunger Games,” “Everything, Everything”) plays Ruby who is an ‘Orange’ – signifying that she is a major threat because she can read minds and manipulate memory. She escapes and meets new friends, young survivors from different camps. Among them is Liam, played by rising British actor Harris Dickinson. There’s an immediate attraction between the two. Also starring in the gifted cast of young actors are Skylan Brooks as Chubs and Miya Cech as Zu. On the road, the kids empower themselves and discover a sense of family.

Directed by Jennifer Yuh Nelson, whose previous hit movies include Kung Fu Panda 2 and 3, “The Darkest Minds” is her impressive first foray into live action. 

“The Darkest Minds” hinged on audiences identifying with the characters’ struggles and being able to see themselves in this nightmare. “We wanted this to feel like a reality that we live in today and recognize,” says Nelson. “It’s what makes the powers unique, they contrast with our otherwise normal reality. You should be able to imagine being able to go out right now and see someone doing these amazing things, so we didn’t want to place this film in some far off time period or futuristic and obscure place. We want audiences to believe this could happen.”

“This movie transcends all ages,” says Nelson. “It’s not just about being a teenager. Everyone has been in that place when they are not completely comfortable with who they are. It’s about facing the things about you that you aren’t happy with, that you consider a flaw, and being able to grow into this place of being able to embrace those things. Being able to access what makes you unique and use it as a strength. This story follows a character that, in the beginning, is powerless and essentially frightened and ashamed of what she is. And by the end, you watch her grow. You watch her become this empowered strong character being able to do things she never thought she could do. Everyone can identify with that journey.”

With a background in animation and a passion for Kung Fu and action films, Nelson was the ideal director to helm this female-starred action adventure.

“’The Darkest Minds’ is going to give audiences a hell of a ride.  It’s going to be a ride that will be thrilling in that it has action, it has adventure, it has super-visual set pieces, battle scenes, powers being used – all of that.  But I think audiences can also expect a deeply emotional experience with this movie because although it’s filled with spectacle and just cool visceral sequences, at its core it’s also really about characters looking for where they belong and discovering ultimately that where they belong is with each other,” vouches producer Shawn Levy.

“The Darkest Minds” opens August 1 in cinemas nationwide from 20th Century Fox. 

EMBRACING DIVERSITY IN THRILLING YA MOVIE “THE DARKEST MINDS”

“The Darkest Minds” is set in a very near future society where most of the nation’s children have perished – victims of a terrible disease. The surviving children are considered to be dangerous Enemies of the State because they possess extraordinary powers and therefore pose a threat to the government. Amandla Stenberg (Hunger Games, Everything Everything) plays Ruby, who escapes from the authorities and teams up with a group of other kids, including Liam, played by Harris Dickinson. They go on the run, using their powers, wits, and friendship to stay alive.

“The whole movie is a quest for this ‘slip kids’ camp,” says producer Shawn Levy. “And for this camp where supposedly kids live free, the character of Clancy [played by Patrick Gibson] is pretty critical because he runs this utopian kind of what could be a ‘Lord Of The Flies’, ‘Maze Runner’, kid-only civilization or outpost, with order, with kindness, with charisma. Travelling on the quest to the slip kids camp with Ruby and Liam are two other characters: Zu, played by Miya Cech and Chubs, played by Skylan Brooks.

“Zu is a nine, ten-year-old girl and Miya is a revelation – she’s this young actress at an age where you rarely find a great actress,” says Levy. “When Miya auditioned, her face was so expressive.  Her character doesn’t talk for ninety-five percent of the movie and that’s not easy.  So you need someone who is articulate without words.  And Miya, who is also crazily professional for such a young age, brings a heart achingly expressive quality to the character of Zu, who we learn, over the course of the movie, has been through real trauma – way more trauma than someone that age should ever have to go through.”

The other travel companion, Chubs brings an additional element to the mix.  “Chubs is not only a dimensional and authentic character the way all of our characters are,” says Levy, “but he brings a certain levity.  He kind of calls it like it is.  When he sees something brewing between Ruby and Liam, he’s going to name it even if it makes people uncomfortable.”

Another two very different female characters help round out the cast: Cate, a doctor who tries to help Ruby, and Lady Jane, a bounty hunter who hunts the children down.  “I knew early that we wanted Mandy Moore to play Cate,” says Levy. “We needed someone who had strength, but who also had real, immediately palpable warmth. That’s what we needed for the character of Cate, who is basically a savior of sorts.  And we need to believe in that and, with Mandy we do, instantly.”

“Lady Jane is a bounty hunter and honestly, as soon as Gwendoline Christie came up as an idea, obviously, whether you’ve seen “Game of Thrones” or “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”, Gwendoline has a physical, imposing presence that is formidable and unique, but she’s also got such a range as an actress.”

Excited to sign on to the project, Christie explains, “After reading the script, I felt that it connected very strongly to our times, to our political situation, severe and deeply upsetting and awful refugee situations around the world, and that I think in terms of our media, we’re starting to, I hope, connect more with human beings that are seemingly different from us, and recognize that those differences aren’t so great after all. And that we can recognize, I hope, the humanity in each other, and what it is to need comfort, to need shelter, to need liberty, and of course love,” says Christie.

Based on the first installment of the trilogy by Alexandra Bracken, and infused with thrilling action, “The Darkest Minds” is now showing in theaters nationwide from 20th Century Fox.

• gotta lick itgotta lick it PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    it is a short movie for a book adaptation.

KUNG FU PANDA DIRECTOR JENNIFER YUH NELSON ON HER FIRST LIVE-ACTION

IN “THE DARKEST MINDS”

“The Darkest Minds” will be the first live-action film for director Jennifer Yuh Nelson, best known for her work on the Kung Fu Panda franchise. The movie is an adaptation of the best-selling book by Alexandra Bracken, the first in a YA trilogy (The Darkest Minds, Never Fade, and In the Afterlight).

The engrossing new film takes place in a dystopian society. The nation is in a state of crisis;98 percent of the children have died. For the few who remain, it’s a fight to stay alive. When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. The kids and teenagers, who all have remarkable powers and abilities, have been taken from their families and sent for brutal  ‘rehabilitation’.  Here they are segregated by color according to how dangerous to society they are deemed to be. Ruby is an ‘Orange’ – signifying that she is a major threat because she can read minds and manipulate memory. She escapes and meets new friends, young survivors from different camps. Among them is Liam, played by rising British actor Harris Dickinson. There’s an immediate attraction between the two. Together, all the young fugitives embark on a journey, essentially an exciting and perilous road trip, looking for a safe haven, while simply trying to stay alive.

Also starring in the gifted cast of young actors are Skylan Brooks as Chubs and Miya Cech as Zu. On the road, the kids empower themselves and discover a sense of family. For Jennifer Yuh Nelson, whose previous hit movies include Kung Fu Panda 2 and 3, the film is an impressive first foray into live action.

“This movie transcends all ages,” says Nelson. “It’s not just about being a teenager. Everyone has been in that place when they are not completely comfortable with who they are. It’s about facing the things about you that you aren’t happy with, that you consider a flaw, and being able to grow into this place of being able to embrace those things. Being able to access what makes you unique and use it as a strength. This story follows a character that, in the beginning, is powerless and essentially frightened and ashamed of what she is. And by the end, you watch her grow. You watch her become this empowered strong character being able to do things she never thought she could do. Everyone can identify with that journey.”

“’The Darkest Minds’ is going to give audiences a hell of a ride.  It’s going to be a ride that will be thrilling in that it has action, it has adventure, it has super-visual set pieces, battle scenes, powers being used – all of that.  But I think audiences can also expect a deeply emotional experience with this movie because although it’s filled with spectacle and just cool visceral sequences, at its core it’s also really about characters looking for where they belong and discovering ultimately that where they belong is with each other,” says producer Shawn Levy.

“The Darkest Minds” is now showing in Philippine cinemas nationwide from 20th Century  Fox.