Home PEx Family and Society Buhay Pinoy

Is Pinoy food classless?

FrigidFrigid PEx Rookie ⭐
Can pinoy food be considered classy or sosyal?

I think not.

Talagang pambahay o pang turo-turo lang siya.

Bakit proud na proud daw yung mga pinoy sa adobo, yan daw yung pinaka ultimate pinoy dish

kaluluto ko lang kanina hindi naman ako nasarapan.

pati yung sinigang parang sobrang simple lang ng lasa sobarang boring

pati yung kare kare sobrang boring din

pinoy food hindi siya compatible sa magandang restaurant.
Para kasi syang caveman food eh very basic and very primitive

Comments

• gotta lick itgotta lick it PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    he he ...... bakit dito ka rin magpost??? grabe ang higpit dun sa F&B forum noh?

classless, YES.

Filipino cuisine is peasant food.
  • nikkilovenikkilove PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    syempre, laitn ba naman mismo ng mga taong kumakain nito, natural magiging classless.

whats so classy with raw fish, and breaded shrimp like tempura,

or roast beef, pot roast and steamed veggies na alang lasa?

or chicken sandwich...

we have tuna, lapu lapu, crabs and lobsters,

we have heirloom vegetables and Filipino greens and salads.

minsan presentation din kasi, but if pinoy food has good presentation, ok naman.
  • despisePappusdespisePappus 👁 PBB Loyalist
    Classless ba? Debatable.

Unhealthy? Diyan baka mag-agree pa ako. :lol: Usually, talaga unhealthy but it suits my taste. So, ang hirap. :glee:

Appreciative ako sa pagkain at hindi ako nanghuhusga kung ano ang may class at kung ano ang hindi. Basta makakain ko, ok ako.

Ayaw ko lang talaga ng mga exotic at di ako kumakain ng mga di ko kilala. Di rin lahat ng meat kinakain ko. Hanngang baboy, manok at baka lang. I have tried duck and I didn't like it. I have tried other birds also (yung nahuhuli during hunting sa lugar namin) and I didn't like them also. Anyhow, kahit anong veggies yata kaya kong kainin or seafood (wag lang siguro eel, octopus).
  • crocopiecrocopie PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Frigid wrote: »

I think not.

Bakit proud na proud daw yung mga pinoy sa adobo, yan daw yung pinaka ultimate pinoy dish

In the meantime, classless Jollibee has expanded its operations to parts in the US, Middle East, and the culinary mecca...*gasp* Italy!

The owner can afford to eat at Ducasse and Rubochon easily.

E ikaw, can you eat at Rubochon's? Mas mahal pa appetizer niya sa buhay mo.
  • FrigidFrigid PEx Rookie ⭐
    Yung pinoy food kasi either sobrang alat o sobrang asim o sobrang tamis o sobrang pait wala yung nasa gitna

Eto mukhang magaganda yung food sa spain
  • crocopiecrocopie PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    he he ...... bakit dito ka rin magpost??? grabe ang higpit dun sa F&B forum noh?

classless, YES.

Filipino cuisine is peasant food.

Italian food is peasant food too. French dishes like Ratatouille are peasant dishes as well. But nobody calls them classless. Instead, they are celebrated, even in posh restaurants.

May colonial mentality issue ka lang, tulad n Frigid.
    show proof Ratatouille is served at fine dining restaurants.

peasant food is peasant food. it is not served to royalty. a nation's cuisine is divided by region and class. peasant food is classless served without standard and presentation. if there are some which made it into a fine dining menu, it is not the original recipe and served differently as a fusion dish.

let us take adobo for example, most fusion recipes end up with braised pork drizzled with a reduced soy sauce. and, they have the audacity to call it adobo. there is this show in CNN called Culinary Journeys, where top rated chefs would go out looking for peasant food and end up with another fusion recipe just to hype their home grown dish. i was not able to see one who tried to cook it exactly as it was meant to be.

they had a Filipino segment. the dishes featured were tskolata, fresh lumpia and kilawin. what a combination, hot chocolate with fresh vegetable spring rolls.

the Filipina host stayed with the original recipe and ended up with simple dishes. they actually squeezed and strained calamansi by hand over the salad. good thing, they did not use the hands to mix raw fish pickled salad because the setting at an isolated with no running water just like in rice paddies. the end results were dishes served without arrangement and presentation. the recipe was also meant for an entire barangay. now, that is Filipino cuisine or Filipino peasant food.

kudos to chef Margarita Flores for staying true.
    crocopie wrote: »
    Italian food is peasant food too. French dishes like Ratatouille are peasant dishes as well. But nobody calls them classless. Instead, they are celebrated, even in posh restaurants.

May colonial mentality issue ka lang, tulad n Frigid.

we do have classy Filipino dishes. our confectionery cakes and pastries are served with a certain standard and presentation but you wont find these dishes in the rice fields. and, im not taking about steamed rice cake.
  • Ok naman yung mga pagkaing pinoy ha and yes agree ako kay t.s pang nahay at turo turo lang sya pero kahit paano may dating pa rin, nataon lang kasi na pinoy ang kumakain kaya para sa iba mababang tingnan
  • oraorajoestaroraorajoestar PEx Rookie ⭐
    Frigid wrote: »

I think not.

I managed to experience eating there during my visit at Sentosa and it was just fine. Of course given na very pricey ang rates nila compared sa ibang restos pero hindi ko magawang ma appreciate mostly sa mga menus nila dahil natabangan ako sa mga pagkain. Nasanay siguro tayo sa bold at full bodied flavor kaya karamihan sa atin di natutuwa sa cuisine sa Europa. Stereotype nga e walang ka lasa lasa ang mga pagkain ng mga taga Europe. Barbarian ba ako, most likely, but most of the Filipino masas up until now are ignorant to foreign food and are very harsh, dismissive and judgmental when they tasted something outside of their usual comfort palettes.
  • LJ_McKanasLJ_McKanas PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I find these dishes classless:

(1) adobo - so boring, so mundane, so tasteless. Its Cavite variant though tastes soooo good. Tinutungang Manok, which is essentially Bicol's version of adobo is good too.

(2) sinigang - same observations.

(3) menudo

(4) kare-kare - except when cooked really well but very rarely do I find it palatable.

Dishes that I find palatable:

(1) Sisig - Kapampangan dish that I rarely eat nowadays because of the cholesterol. But I used to love it when I was still "entitled" to relish it.

(2) Bicol Express - I don't concede that this is a Manila invention as here in Bicol, it has so many variants and my mum herself knows how to cook this dish, which she learned from our grandmother who in turn learned it from our great grandmother whose date of birth precedes the opening of the Manila-based restaurant that allegedly concocted this dish by more than 60 years. Why I find it so palatable is its very distinct taste - a complex combination of spicy, juicy and salty. Here in Bicol, it has so many variants and my favorites are those with pineapple chunks and kamias slices. I remember its unique taste as I'm writing this.

(3) Laing - also another Bicol delicacy. I love it as it never grows old despite its very simple taste. It's just some gabi leaves drenched in coconut milk. Cooking method is so much more complicated than that, of course.

(4) Tinutungang Manok - best adobo version there is, and only one of two that I truly like. Adobo is soooo overrated that I kind of give off a smirk when I hear somebody say that it's sooo goood when it's one of the blandest dishes I've ever tried. This one, on the other hand, is not just different, but damn it is finger-licking good.

(5) Ginataang Santol - Oh my God! Its taste is soooo heavenly. Nobody has yet tried that Cres Snack Inn version which is not just a cut above all ginataang santols but a cut above all dishes I've ever tried. Talk about the right kind of juiciness and creaminess all in one go. I remember the taste while writing this. Cres Snack Inn is a carinderia-type of establishment that caters to both locals and tourists. It is found along Rizal St., Cabagnan, Legazpi City.

***I don't want to conclude anything yet but it appears that I don't find "national" delicacies to be classy - which in a way is an agreement to the OP's proposition. However, local/regional delicacies are something that I won't concede to be something classless as I even find these local delicacies to be at par or even better than foreign dishes.

I enjoy savoring local/regional delicacies and there is nothing that can make me change this opinion of mine. I am proud of our regional delicacies because I find them superior and palatable. I think it's just a matter of perception/opinion. And it's much better to be appreciative of what we have here in our home.
  • Stella_NoxFleuretStella_NoxFleuret PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Sa mga filipino food, pinaka gusto ko sinigang na baboy or sinigang na hipon. peking duck (chinese food) is the best or one of the best foods i've ever eaten.. pero ang mahal eh. sa crystal jade, ang peking duck dun mga 1.5k or 2k eh half lang.
    tangalin mo yun Hoisin sauce at tingan natin kung masarap pa rin.

what do you do to the rest of the peking duck which you cant put into the rice wrapper??

LJ_McKanas wrote: »
    I find these dishes classless:

(1) adobo - so boring, so mundane, so tasteless. Its Cavite variant though tastes soooo good. Tinutungang Manok, which is essentially Bicol's version of adobo is good too.

stew (peasant food) - a dish designed not to spoil for a long time.

it is the most popular and well known worldwide. maybe that is reason Filipino cuisine is not on the top list because adobo is sooooo oily.

(2) sinigang - same observations.

stew - ingredients alone will say it is an expensive dish.

foreigners who have tasted this will vouch it is classy and memorable. may MSG kasi.

(3) menudo

stew (peasant food) - made out of innards and offal

personally, i believe menudo is one of the best Filipino dishes. it has the most layering. the dish is made out of chicken, pork, root crops, vegetables, spices, herbs and dont forget the raisins, olives and beans. just imagine how much flavor is mixed in one dish and every bite taste different. if the cook/chef is really creative, he/she does not have to serve it as stew.

pawi na lang niya yun natirang sabaw sa crew kasi ........... sabaw pa lang ng menudo ay ulam na.

(4) kare-kare - except when cooked really well but very rarely do I find it palatable.

stew (peasant food) - made out of innards and offal

without the bagoong and goto (large intestines) this dish is tasteless.
  • HermesTrismegistusHermesTrismegistus PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    lucky me pancit canton for life, *****.
    I didn't mention bulalo and lechon. Both are really really good. Menudo used to be my favorite, but I have lost my palate to it probably because it is quite similar in taste to some dishes.
    Sa mga filipino food, pinaka gusto ko sinigang na baboy or sinigang na hipon. peking duck (chinese food) is the best or one of the best foods i've ever eaten.. pero ang mahal eh. sa crystal jade, ang peking duck dun mga 1.5k or 2k eh half lang.

We ate this 900-peso worth of peking duck at Lucky Fortune Seafood Restaurant. It was soooo good but damn I don't know the names of the sauces - the tastes were so unfamiliar but surprisingly palatable. I like dishes that kind of surprise me. It's gotta be something unique and extraordinary.

Among the cuisines, my favorite now is Korean. Few years back though, it was Thai.
  • pusang_miyawpusang_miyaw PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Ah talaga Frigid walang dating sayo ang Pinoy food. Ok so anong trip mong pagkain? I share mo naman yung very exquisite taste mo.
  • despisePappusdespisePappus 👁 PBB Loyalist
    kittenz wrote: »
    What's the Cavite variant of adobo? I don't know how you guys make adobo. My adobo is not oily. Di ba adobo means you marinade stuff in toyo and vinegar? That's what I do all the time! Then I stir fry it and add worstershire sauce and chicken stock. I adobo my veggies all the time too!

sounds like tuyong adobo o yung adobong walang sabaw? that's how my co-workers from Batanggas and Cavite do their adobo. It's good but not my favorite. Gusto ko talaga yung adobong may sabaw.

Oily nga siya siguro pero di ko mapapansing oily kasi mas naglalaban ang alat at ang asim. Nakakatikim lang ako ng ganitong adobo kapag umuuwi ako sa probinsiya namin o kapag nagluluto nanay ko.
  • pong_padourpong_padour PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    French cuisine is overrated. I would prefer kaldereta or sinigang over their escargot & foie gras anytime.
  • Stella_NoxFleuretStella_NoxFleuret PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Masarap dito kumain.. located sa Serendra BGC lang ito. Meters away from our house lang.. costly nga lang. Ang salary nyo good for 1 week, isang kainan lang eh.

May problema ba ang PEX? bakit most of the time hindi ako makapag post, i am unable to type my post.. kung baga hindi ako pede mag type.. refresh lang ako ng refesh may small chance na bumalik sa normal.. but most of the time ayaw.. i tried sa phone ko ok naman.. hindi kaya pc ko problema o sa pex mismo?