Home PEx International Entertainment International TV

[NETFLIX] One Day at a Time (starring Rita Moreno)

sweetyCsweetyC PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
SEASON 1 TRAILER

SEASON 2 TRAILER

In a reimagining of the TV classic, a newly single Latina mother raises her teen daughter and tween son with the "help" of her old-school mom.

This show is highly recommended! Rita Moreno is divine. I love her character so much! :bounce: Season 2 was released last January. Watch this show! :cheerleader:

Comments

• forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    I love this show, nakakatawa si Rita Moreno! The way she says "Cuba" natatawa na ako :lol: Also great mix of drama and comedy. The coming out storyline of S1 was well done

Currently binging Season 2, Episode 8: What Happened is terffic. Nakakaiyak :mecry: And episode 9 about Penelope and the anti-depressants was so moving as well
  • sweetyCsweetyC PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    forg wrote: »
    I love this show, nakakatawa si Rita Moreno! The way she says "Cuba" natatawa na ako :lol: Also great mix of drama and comedy. The coming out storyline of S1 was well done

Currently binging Season 2, Episode 8: What Happened is terffic. Nakakaiyak :mecry: And episode 9 about Penelope and the anti-depressants was so moving as well

Right?! The amount of representation in this show is mind-blowing! I super love it! :bop: Si Lydia talaga ang super favorite ko sa kanila! :bounce: One of my favorite scenes yung kinantahan nya ng Happy Birthday to jew si Leslie sa 1x05 :rotflmao: Iyak ako sa S1 finale eh, pero malala rin ang finale ng S2 :bawling:

ETA: Super favorite ko rin yung Latinx scene! Susmiyo :rotflmao:
    The season 2 finale! Grabe :mecry: Napa cheer din ako kasabay ng audience when Lydia siad "not yet"!
    ^ SAME! Ganda ng script ng last ep, lalo na yung mga individual dialogues. Sobrang heartbreaking yung kay Penelope at Schneider :shedtears:

And same regarding the "not yet" part! For a few secs akala ko talaga sasama na sya kay Berto! Wheeew!

Speaking of Berto, ganda ng chemistry nung actor with Rita. Super spot-on ang casting sa show na ito :bop:
  • AppleBeeGeeAppleBeeGee PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

Emmy Snubs for Rita Moreno, ‘One Day at a Time,’ ‘Superstore’ Reveal the TV Academy’s Latinx Blindspot (Column)

Michael Schneider
    August 20, 2020, 11:00 PM GMT+8·4 mins read

There are plenty of superstars on television, but only a few icons. Let’s make it clear: Rita Moreno is one of those icons. For kids of my generation, we first knew her as the lady who screamed “Hey you guys!” at the start of PBS’ “The Electric Company.” My parents, of course, knew her as the spitfire in 1961’s “West Side Story.” Now, my kids know her as Lydia, the outspoken grandmother on “One Day at a Time.”

I’ve known Rita Moreno as a legend since the moment I knew what the word meant. Yet that didn’t prepare me for the raucous phone call I had with her early in the COVID-19 pandemic. With production halted on “One Day,” Moreno was back at her house in the Bay Area when I called to get her picks for Variety’s “TV Guilty Pleasure” feature.

More from Variety

Moreno is 88, and was smartly in quarantine during those stay-at-home times. (By the way, that’s as smart of a move now as it was five months ago.) But Rita Moreno can’t be contained, and the confinement was getting to her.

How was she faring in the pandemic? “I can’t get out of the f—ing kitchen,” she proclaimed. “I have to eat, right? I’m not a neat cooker. I always leave a trail of spots and stains. And I’m one of those people who loves a beautiful, bright, clean kitchen. So I’m in the f—ing kitchen constantly!”

I told you: Legend.

A careful Moreno has also been washing everything. “I just finished scrubbing some bottles of beer,” she told me. “I don’t drink the hard stuff but now and then an icy cold beer, you just can’t replace anything like that.”

Seriously, live your quarantine like EGOT winner Rita Moreno. But here’s the rub: Moreno should be cracking open one of those beers right now to celebrate an Emmy nod for “One Day at a Time,” which sadly didn’t come. Moreno has two Emmys — one for individual performance in a variety or music program for “The Muppet Show” in 1977 and for drama guest actress on “The Rockford Files” in 1978. Moreno hasn’t been nominated for a Primetime Emmy since 1983, when she was in the comedy lead actress race for the brief TV adaptation of “9 to 5” — and that’s a shame.

But it goes beyond that. The new “One Day at a Time” has been virtually ignored by Emmy voters, save an annual nomination in the multi-camera picture editing for a comedy series category (where the competition is limited anyway, since there aren’t many multi-cam shows out there). The Television Academy Honors at least smartly recognized the show in 2018 with its “television with a conscience” award. Critics have bestowed much love on the series, and fan support kept the show alive when Netflix canceled it, spurring a move to Pop TV.

“One Day at a Time” boasts a predominantly Latinx cast, and sadly such shows still aren’t getting their due at the Emmys. In a year where African American performers and shows with Black leads saw a boost in representation at the Emmy nominations, there wasn’t room for similar strides among Latinx, Asian American and other groups. Such an omission is a bit mystifying, particularly as the Imagen Awards — which also just announced their nominations — demonstrated there’s no shortage of Latinx contenders.

In comedy, this year that included “One Day at a Time,” “Vida,” “Gentefied” and “Little America,” and stars such as Justina Machado (“One Day”), Mishel Prada (“Vida”) and, yes, Moreno. According to Imagen, this year’s awards submissions increased by 55% from 2019.

And although it wasn’t nominated this year at Imagen (as it has in the past), among the comedies I would add to that list is the always funny “Superstore,” starring America Ferrara, who is also a co-executive producer. “Superstore” consistently impresses me as one of the most well-crafted workplace comedies, perhaps ever. And much of that has to do with the cast of characters, all of who are well-defined and come with unique, original stories. In particular, characters I don’t see enough anywhere on TV such as Nico Santos as Mateo, a Filipino American whose status as an undocumented immigrant becomes a plot line on the show; and Kaliko Kauahi as Sandra, a very rare example of a Hawaiian/Pacific Islander character on a TV show not set in Hawaii.

Comedies like “One Day at a Time” and “Superstore” shouldn’t be overlooked by TV Academy voters if they’re serious about improving representation. And let’s start by getting Rita Moreno out of her f—ing house and back on an Emmy stage.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/emmy-snubs-rita-moreno-one-150013154.html

Rita Moreno deserves an Emmy nomination naman talaga for this role, she's so funny
  • AppleBeeGeeAppleBeeGee PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

One Day At A Time Creator Urges Fans To Watch Season 4 When It Airs On CBS

One Day at a Time showrunner Gloria Kellett wants fans to watch its season 4 rerun on CBS, says it is essential for it to be renewed for season 5

One Day at a Time season 4 is heading to CBS this fall, and its showrunner Gloria Calderón Kellett is urging fans to rewatch it for a crucial reason. Serving as a Hispanic reimagination of Norman Lear's eponymous yesteryear sitcom, One Day at a Time depicts the story Penelope Alvarez (Justina Machado), a US Army Nurse Corps veteran, who is single-handedly raising her two kids, Alex (Marcel Ruiz) and Elena (Isabella Gomez) while dealing with her own mental and personal issues. The show also features Rita Moreno as Penelope's god-fearing mother Lydia, while Todd Grinnell stars as Schneider, Penelope's landlord, and close friend. Although it's a hard-core multi-camera family sitcom, One Day at a Time has been praised for its bold and responsible portrayal of PTSD, sexual identity, immigration, racism, sexual assault, and sexism.

One Day at a Time debuted on Netflix in January 2017. There, the popular show was renewed through season 3 before being canceled in March 2019. Its cancellation, however, sparked off a campaign from creators and ardent fans, who pushed for the show to be rescued. Finally, following rigorous arbitrations, One Day at a Time was renewed by Pop TV in June 2019. The show premiered its season 4 on its new network in March 2020. But in April, after airing only 6 episodes, the show ended abruptly due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Despite the truncation, however, One Day at a Time ingeniously managed to telecast new content; the show collaborated with Canadian animator Smiley Guy Studios to produce an animated special that aired in June.

One Day at a Time's showrunner Gloria Calderón Kellett posted to Twitter about the rerun of her show's season 4 on CBS. In her post, she appealed to fans to rewatch the show on the new network to save it from cancellation. One Day at a Time's recent distributor, Pop TV, has faced hard times during the pandemic. Part of their executive team has been laid off, and the network is at a dearth of scripted content. These unfortunate circumstances have yet again held the future of One Day at a Time up in the air. And the show will only be revived for season 5 if its rerun generates satisfactory viewership at CBS (a network also owned by ViacomCBS, like Pop TV).

As it was recently announced, CBS has filled its fall schedule with originals from across ViacomCBS brands. Star Trek: Discovery season 1One Day at a Time season 4 (premieres Oct. 12, 9 p.m.), and Manhunt: Deadly Games are poised to fill in for scripted content at the network and reality-shows like Big Brother and Love Island have also been extended into the fall. While CBS expects to air fresh episodes of new and returning series in November, the same cannot be said for One Day at a Time. The sitcom's production has likely been delayed until 2021, and it will only resume if the show gets renewed.

While it cannot be denied that One Day at a Time is on the brink of cancellation, the fact that CBS has decided to stick to its commitment of airing the show in 2020 inspires a lot of hope. The network has manifested its faith in the show by touting it as the main attraction of its fall lineup when it could have easily syndicated other prestigious shows like The Good Wife. It is, hence, clear that CBS wants to give the show a fair opportunity to survive. Loyal fans have redeemed One Day at a Time from the doom of cancellation before, so getting the show renewed for season 5 shouldn't really be a mammoth task for them.

https://screenrant.com/one-day-time-season-4-cbs-rerun-gloria-kellett/