UPCAT 2018 and the UPG. Also, experiences on blanks

Hi!

I'm a 12th grader who took the UPCAT last October... and it was the hardest out of all the exams I took: ACET, DCAT, and USTET. I actually had 24 blanks - 9 in Science and 15 in Math. What sucks too is how even though I answered some, I'm still unsure that my answers are correct. Now I am really scared.

Choices
UPD (first two are quota and the other are non quota; yes we were given four options) - BAA; BA; Sociology; Public Ad

UPLB - I actually forgot what I chose haha.

I calculated my grades from 9-11 and my average is at 94.4567... I'm about the top 2 or 3. I really don't know what my Form 2 says.

Albeit I'm from a small private school, I was exempted for paying the fee because my family's annual income's really low and my dad is the sole breadwinner, so I included his ITR.

For the ACET, even though I had nine blanks due to time constraints and guessed at 22 numbers, I still got into the honors program of my second choice (AB-MA POS). For DCAT, I got into my first choice of the BA Major in Econ and BS Accountancy. I'm still waiting for my USTET results.

Right now, I'm really worried about my UPCAT results. I'm just aiming to get into Diliman, but of course I know I've done poorly. I'm hoping that if I don't pass Diliman, hopefully I can get into LB, or have a UPG high enough for UPM's reconsideration since I prefer to be around Manila than LB, even if I live in southern NCR which is really near CALABARZON.

For my batchmates... please tell me I'm not the only one who had a hard time with the UPCAT 2018 HAHA. For those who are in UP, how were your experiences especially with the UPG and leaving blanks. I'm really worried about my impending percentile scores, and I'm just holding on to my HS grades HAHA.

PS Don't tell me "you shouldn't have left blanks" BECAUSE NAGAWA KO NA AND I AM CRYING OKAY.

Hoping for your responses and stories. Thank you

Comments

• hi!

I'm a 12th grader who took the upcat last october... And it was the hardest out of all the exams i took: Acet, dcat, and ustet. I actually had 24 blanks - 9 in science and 15 in math. What sucks too is how even though i answered some, i'm still unsure that my answers are correct. Now i am really scared.

Choices
    upd (first two are quota and the other are non quota; yes we were given four options) - baa; ba; sociology; public ad

uplb - i actually forgot what i chose haha.

I calculated my grades from 9-11 and my average is at 96.4567... I'm about the top 2 or 3. I really don't know what my form 2 says.

Albeit i'm from a small private school, i was exempted for paying the fee because my family's annual income's really low and my dad is the sole breadwinner, so i included his itr.

For the acet, even though i had nine blanks due to time constraints and guessed at 22 numbers, i still got into the honors program of my second choice (ab-ma pos). For dcat, i got into my first choice of the ba major in econ and bs accountancy. I'm still waiting for my ustet results.

Right now, i'm really worried about my upcat results. I'm just aiming to get into diliman, but of course i know i've done poorly. I'm hoping that if i don't pass diliman, hopefully i can get into lb, or have a upg high enough for upm's reconsideration since i prefer to be around manila than lb, even if i live in southern ncr which is really near calabarzon.

For my batchmates... Please tell me i'm not the only one who had a hard time with the upcat 2018 haha. For those who are in up, how were your experiences especially with the upg and leaving blanks. I'm really worried about my impending percentile scores, and i'm just holding on to my hs grades haha.

Ps don't tell me "you shouldn't have left blanks" because nagawa ko na and i am crying okay.

Hoping for your responses and stories. Thank you

correction hehe my hs average from 9-11 is 94.4567
  • You will pass UPD. Don't worry too much.

My G9-G11 GWA is 94.5.
    I took ACET, DCAT, and USTET.
    Passed BS LegMa, BS ComEng, and PolSci (Rank 10) in the above schools respectively.

You are accepted in an Honors course. Huge feat already. You do not have to worry since it means you are ahead of other takers. You topped ACET because you are one of the 15% brightest passers.

You will pass. Basta. I feel it. Keep asking the same question for half a year na hehe.
  • 320-24-20 (let's say)= 276
    If the "leaked equation" really works,
    Your upg will be roughly 89% which will give you a upg transmuted bullcrap of 1.XXX. Haha. This will adjust based on the national average.

You will pass. Haha
  • hondurashonduras Member PExer
    Batchmate here.

Had a similar experience as you did and the thought of it fills me with anxiety too. Barely slept the night before and walked into my test room a nervous wreck. I felt like dying after the test and still carry that same feeling 5 months after.

I guess lots of our batchmates feel the same way as well.

(Not to mention: results are near. Cross your fingers and hope for the best man.)
  • I left 10 blanks in science and 11 in math
    I'm crying😭
    My HS grades were not even that high😭

I was shocked how the question especially in science were unfamiliar. Some were basic topics but the questions are difficult to understand.
    And most of the lessons I reviewed did not even appear!
    The english and readinh comp was fine for me
    But the hell math and science are confusing!

I'm hoping for the best but also bracing myself for the worst😭
    I feel like most of us who took the exam are constantly experiencing anxiety since😂😭😭 
  • Also, I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible since I passed DCAT, ACET, USTET, and the DOST scholarship exam. Just waiting for UPCAT

The only worst situation I can think of right now is passing all the other schools except the school I want to study in😣😂😭
  • extranjeroextranjero Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    You will pass, for sure. The mere fact that you have already made it into the honors programs of Ateneo and DLSU already speaks of your caliber.

I left 4 blanks in Maths, 2 in English, 5 in Filipino and 5 in Sciences during my time. But I still managed to get into an "honors" program in UP (secret na lang kung ano, since technically, we don't have "honors" program in UP). And I also got into Merit and Star Scholars of Ateneo and DLSU, respectively. 
  • AdrianKBLoyolaAdrianKBLoyola Member PExer
    okay so it's the end of April and the results are about to come out any day so...
  • edited April 2018
    14,354 lucky students. I hope we're part of those.
    14,354 lucky students. I hope we're part of those.
    How was your UPCAT 2018 experience? HAHA
  • Super sabaw. Hahahahaha. It wasn't really that hard compared to what I expected. But that doesn't assure me na tama mga sagot ko. I had 25 items na di naabot sa time. I decided to shade them. Hahahahaha. Risk taker ako.
  • I JUST PASSED!!!
    I JUST PASSED!!!
    I PASSED AS WELL
    HI GUYS SO I PASSED BSBA IN UPD HUHU
  • Hi I came here cause I did not passed upcat and it's super sad... congrats to the two of you who made it hehe :<
  • Guys.  Since of you took the upcat. Can you give me some tips po. Napepressure na ako ngayon kung paano ko ba sisimulan yung preparation for this up coming upcat 2018. Thank you guys
  • Oo nga po pano po mag-prepare. Meron po kong kaibigan na nag-take at pumasaa siya sa UPB. Sabi niya sakin di mo kailangan ng mga tutoring ganun ganun for entrance examinations kasi parang wala lang din llabas sa mga mock exaaminations nila.

And BTW gusto ko tanong: paano pinipili ng UP kung alin campus ka?

For preparations, I took summer review classes. To be quite frank, medyo wala nga yung tinuturo nila HAHA. What helped were the books they supplied me with. 

The next thing I did after the classes were self/group studies, which really made the difference. I would study everyday from Monday to Sunday eh.

Also, you get to choose your UP campus when you apply. 
  • johnjoseph13johnjoseph13 Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Oo nga po pano po mag-prepare. Meron po kong kaibigan na nag-take at pumasaa siya sa UPB. Sabi niya sakin di mo kailangan ng mga tutoring ganun ganun for entrance examinations kasi parang wala lang din llabas sa mga mock exaaminations nila.

And BTW gusto ko tanong: paano pinipili ng UP kung alin campus ka?

Your UPG is the determinant on which campus you will or won't land. Supposing that Diliman's UPG cut-off is 2.0 (this was during my time) and you got a UPG score of 2.1, definitely, you won't get in Diliman and you will be considered for your second choice of campus. In my time, majority of applicants chose UPLB as their second choice of campus and UPLB that time has a UPG cut-off of 2.8.  So, if you chose LB then you'll get UPLB. Then the process of determining your course also depends on your UPG. Supposing that you chose Civil Engineering as your first choice in LB and LB only has 50 slots, then you better be in the top 50 among applicants who chose CE in UPLB. Otherwise, you will not get CE and automatically you will be ranked against a set of applicants who chose a similar second choice of course. DPWAS is the worst case scenario when UP has ranked you against applicants with similar course choices and yet you still don't have better UPG scores.

In other words, pagandahan lang ng UPG ang labanan sa UPCAT.
  • edited November 2018
    Hi! I am reading this thread to comfort myself while waiting for the result of the recently concluded UPCAT 2019. I am scared not to pass this entrance exam. After the exam, I already knew that I won’t be getting into UP. The exam was so hard. Language and Reading Comp is fine, tho I think I sucked at the latter. I didn’t read all the text. My mind was so exhausted while taking RC, I just read the question first then find the answers from text. Math was really hard. I like math, but this one thrilled me. I have 10 blanks in math at ilang mga hula, 5 in LP dahil wala nang time. At hndi ako sure sa mga sagot ko. Nagtake dn ako ng DOST, pero mas mahirap ang UPCAT. Baka di pa nga ako makapasa ng DOST hehe.

Kahit saang branch ng UP sana, UPD is my first choice and UPLB is my second choice. All the programs that I chose are non quota courses except for my first choice in UPD, Architecture.
    Tapos 100k pa ang nagexam. Paktay na.

My average from G9-G11 is 93. Should this be enough? Looking forward for your responses and upcat stories too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file