Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

Blockers (2018)

forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
SEX COMEDY “BLOCKERS” REVEALS TWO TRAILERS
via press release

Universal Pictures has just unveiled two trailers for its upcoming adult comedy, Blockers, starring John Cena, Leslie Mann and Ike Barinholtz as as a trio of parents who spend prom night trying to stop their teenage kids from having sex.

Check out the trailers and watch Blockers in Philippine cinemas this May 2018.

When three parents stumble upon their daughters’ pact to lose their virginity at prom, they launch a covert one-night operation to stop the teens from sealing the deal. Leslie Mann (Knocked Up), Ike Barinholtz (Suicide Squad) and John Cena (Trainwreck) star in Blockers, the directorial debut of Kay Cannon (writer of the Pitch Perfect series).

The comedy is produced by Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg and James Weaver, under their Point Grey Pictures banner (Neighbors, This Is the End), alongside Jon Hurwitz & Hayden Schlossberg (Harold & Kumar series) and DMG Entertainment’s Chris Fenton (47 Ronin).

Good Universe’s Nathan Kahane and Joseph Drake (Don’t Breathe, Juno) executive produce with Chris Cowles (Collide) of DMG and Josh Fagen, Dave Stassen and Jonathan McCoy. The film is written by brothers Brian & Jim Kehoe, Hurwitz & Schlossberg and Eben Russell.

Blockers is distributed in the Philippines by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures.

Comments

• forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    edited April 2018 #2

'BLOCKERS' UPENDS DOUBLE-STANDARD IN RITE OF ​PASSAGE COMEDY

via press release

For decades, beginning with the groundbreaking Porky’s and extending to modern classics from Superbad to American Pie, guys have watched on-screen versions of guys like them boldly and bawdily celebrate the first time they have sex.

It’s time the ladies have their shot to celebrate the story of their first time, in Universal Pictures' new comedy Blockers (in Philippine cinemas May 02).

With her directorial debut, director Kay Cannon (writer of the Pitch Perfect series) has created a timely coming-of-age comedy that takes one of the most relatable rites of passages and hilariously upends a long-held double standard. One of only a handful of women ever to direct an R-rated comedy for a big studio, Cannon shares a story about that one milestone none of us ever forget.

When three parents discover their daughters’ pact to lose their virginity at prom, they launch a covert one-night operation to stop the teens from sealing the deal. As nonstop helicoptering struggles with awkwardly letting go, the well-meaning trio shares in the raucous comedy that accompanies their kids’ biggest step into adulthood.

Lisa (Leslie Mann), Mitchell (John Cena) and Hunter (Ike Barinholtz) are thrown together by fate—or rather their daughters becoming fast friends on the first day of kindergarten. As their inseparable girls grow into ride-or-die young adults, the trio of parents becomes de facto commiserates, sharing in their kids’ special moments, from birthdays and teen heartaches to first dances and now prom.

Their personalities are as different as their parenting styles: Single mom Lisa and daughter Julie (Kathryn Newton) are more like besties who share everything with each other. Hard-core athlete and doting dad Mitchell puts in his blood, sweat and tears into rearing Kayla (Geraldine Viswanathan) with wife Marcie (Sarayu Blue) and keeping Kayla on the right track. After an ugly divorce, slightly unhinged Hunter dips in and out of life with daughter Sam (Gideon Adlon)…only to crash her prom night with the goal of making her evening epic.

After stumbling upon a series of suggestive text messages that reveal a sex pact among the young women, the unlikely trio joins forces on a misguided mission to keep their daughters from making what they believe is the biggest mistake of their lives. But over the course of a wild night of car chases, butt-chugging contests and party crashing, they begin to see their daughters as the smart, determined and empowered young women they knew they’d become all along.

Blockers is distributed in the Philippines by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures.

PARENTS VS DAUGHTERS IN NEW “BLOCKERS” POSTER

Teens out to have fun. Parents out to stop it. Universal Pictures has just launched the new one-sheet art for its upcoming adult comedy, Blockers, starring John Cena, Leslie Mann and Ike Barinholtz as as a trio of parents who spend prom night trying to stop their teenage kids from losing their virginity.

Check out the poster below and watch Blockers in Philippine cinemas May 02.

When three parents discover their daughters’ pact to lose their virginity at prom, they launch a covert one-night operation to stop the teens from sealing the deal. As nonstop helicoptering struggles with awkwardly letting go, the well-meaning trio shares in the raucous comedy that accompanies their kids’ biggest step into adulthood.

Leslie Mann (Knocked Up), Ike Barinholtz (Suicide Squad) and John Cena (Trainwreck) star in Blockers, the directorial debut of Kay Cannon (writer of the Pitch Perfectseries).

The comedy is produced by Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg and James Weaver, under their Point Grey Pictures banner (Neighbors, This Is the End), alongside Jon Hurwitz & Hayden Schlossberg (Harold & Kumar series) and DMG Entertainment’s Chris Fenton (47 Ronin).

The film is written by brothers Brian & Jim Kehoe, Hurwitz & Schlossberg and Eben Russell.

edited April 2018 #4

LESLIE MANN, A COOL BUT PROTECTVE MOM IN “BLOCKERS”

via press release

Comedic actress Leslie Mann (How to Be Single, Knocked Up) plays Lisa, a mom who is trying to be cool while still parental and the emotional core of Universal Pictures' new comedy Blockers (in Philippine cinemas May 02.)

In the film, when three parents discover their daughters’ pact to lose their virginity at prom, they launch a covert one-night operation to stop the teens from sealing the deal. As nonstop helicoptering struggles with awkwardly letting go, the well-meaning trio shares in the raucous comedy that accompanies their kids’ biggest step into adulthood.

Lisa (Mann), Mitchell (John Cena) and Hunter (Ike Barinholtz) are thrown together by fate—or rather their daughters becoming fast friends on the first day of kindergarten. As their inseparable girls grow into ride-or-die young adults, the trio of parents becomes de facto commiserates, sharing in their kids’ special moments, from birthdays and teen heartaches to first dances and now prom.

Leslie has built an incredible body of supporting work over the 20 years, and this was the perfect vehicle to let her shine,” says producer James Weaver.

In a case of life imitating art, Mann was offered the role of the soon-to-be empty nester at the same time her own child was headed off to college. “I actually got the call to do the movie while I was dropping my eldest daughter off at school, so it was something that I felt really connected to,” recalls Mann.

For director Kay Cannon, the timing could not have been more ideal. “Lisa and her relationship with Julie are the heart and soul of film,” she explains. “Leslie had just lived through saying goodbye to daughter; it was very fresh and real for her.”

The scenes with Kathryn Newton, her on-screen daughter, eased the real-life separation for Mann. “Thank God for Kathryn during that time,” she relays. “She’s the exact same age as my daughter, so being around her made it a little easier because she’s so sweet and I got to hug her.”

Although Lisa and Julie have a strong mother-daughter relationship, Lisa struggles with the idea of letting go. Her desire to keep things status quo goes to extremes when she thinks her daughter might get hurt.

The actress was thrilled to work alongside Cannon, who kept the set light and loose to inspire the actors to go off script. “Kay comes from improv, so she’d throw out ideas or change up the lines,” Mann recalls. “It was a really fun experience.”

For Cannon, the admiration was mutual. “Leslie is such a comedic talent,” she says. “You can give her a B or B+ joke, and she easily turns it into an A with her natural delivery.”

Working alongside co-stars Barinholtz and Cena made for more laughs on and off camera. “It was nonstop fun with both of them,” Mann says. She dryly adds: “Plus, John gave me some pointers on how to do deadlifts.”

Blockers is distributed in the Philippines by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures. Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/uipmoviesph/; Twitter at https://twitter.com/uipmoviesph and Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/uipmoviesph/

THREE YOUNG WOMEN MAKE A SEX PACT IN “BLOCKERS”

(via press release) The filmmakers of Universal Pictures’ new sex comedy Blockers were looking for fresh voices and a natural chemistry when casting the three young women who forge a pact to lose their virginity on prom night.

“It needed to seem as if they’d known each other most of their lives,” explains director Kay Cannon.  “Fortunately, when the three actresses got together in that week of rehearsals, it felt like they’d been best friends forever.”

When casting Lisa’s (Leslie Mann) sweet, strong daughter Julie, filmmakers immediately turned to Kathryn Newton, whose star is rapidly on the rise following her standout performances in Lady Bird and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.  

Newton was immediately drawn to the script because Julie is always in the driver’s seat with her boyfriend Austin (Graham Phillips of TV’s The Good Wife), especially when it comes to decisions about sex.  “She feels comfortable in her relationship and confident about taking this next step,” the performer explains.  “This young couple has an honest relationship with clear communication.  It’s all Julie’s idea: She tells Austin she’s ready, and he says he feels ready, too.  It’s funny because Austin is the perfect boyfriend, but Lisa just can’t see that.”

Producers felt newcomer Gideon Adlon, whose credits include TV’s When We Rise and American Crime, was the perfect fit to play Hunter’s (Ike Barinholtz) daughter, Sam, a cool-nerd coming to terms with her sexuality.  

Sam’s deeper storyline appealed to Adlon’s more dramatic background of work, as well as her real-life experiences.  “Sam has to deal with her absentee father just showing up on this important night,” explains the actress.  “It’s funny, but she’s also really hurt by it.  She wants her dad back in her life, and I can relate to those complications.”

To play Kayla—Mitchell’s (John Cena) athletic, tomboy daughter—producers looked no further than Australian actress Geraldine Viswanathan, who jumped at the chance to work with Cannon.  “I’m obsessed with Pitch Perfect, New Girl and 30 Rock,” she says of Cannon’s comedic portfolio.  “I remember being on the plane thinking that I’m going to meet Kay Cannon—one of my idols.  This is my first American role; I was pinching myself.”

Viswanathan also identified with Kayla’s desire to finally cut loose on prom night.  “She’s led this very disciplined, scheduled life, and now that high school is ending, she’s ready to close that chapter,” the performer says.  “For Kayla to lose her virginity is another way to break past these expectations and feel free.”

In Philippine cinemas May 02, Blockers is distributed in the Philippines by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures.  Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/uipmoviesph/; Twitter at https://twitter.com/uipmoviesph and Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/uipmoviesph/

FATHERHOOD BECOMES JOHN CENA IN “BLOCKERS”

(via press release) After demonstrating his scene-stealing comic chops in Trainwreck, actor and WWE Superstar John Cena (FerdinandDaddy’s Home 2) now stars as the straight-laced, overprotective dad, Mitchell, in Universal Pictures' new comedy Blockers (in Philippine cinemas May 02.)   

In the film, when three parents (Cena, Leslie Mann and Ike Barinholtz) discover their daughters’ pact to lose their virginity at prom, they launch a covert one-night operation to stop the teens from sealing the deal.  As nonstop helicoptering struggles with awkwardly letting go, the well-meaning trio shares in the raucous comedy that accompanies their kids’ biggest step into adulthood.   

“I was watching the ESPYS and John Cena was hosting,” recalls director Kay Cannon.  “He has this natural comedic persona, and I knew he should be Mitchell.”

Cena was eager to take on a larger comedic role.  “I’m still new to all this, so I have tremendous faith in Kay and the cast,” the actor says.  “Leslie’s ability to be vulnerable and stir up so much emotion is incredible, and Ike is a non-stop joke machine.”

Though not a parent himself, Cena had no problem delving into dad mode.  He shares: “I was drawn to this character because I see Mitchell as more of a coach, and I’ve had so many amazing coaches in my life.  I feel like Mitchell has a playbook on dad-isms, ‘This is when I give my daughter the pep talk, then…touchdown!’”  

Cannon appreciated that Cena was game for anything.  “He’d call me Coach on set.  Anything I asked him to do, he would say, ‘You got it, Coach,’” she says.  

In addition to the movie’s many funny moments, Cena appreciated the comedy’s emotional pull.  “All the gags and the physical humor are tied to pivotal moments in the story and move the characters forward,” he explains.  “The kids go on a journey, and so do the adults.  My character needs to go on this hilarious ride as testament to his commitment to his daughter and so he can learn to be a better father.”

The stunts were also fun for Cena to shoot.  While on a mad dash for his daughter, some of the teens charge him in the hotel.  “I literally Hulk out on all these guys, and they go flying.  Throwing human bodies around is a specialty of mine,” he says with a smile.

Cena voices the titular role of Ferdinand the Bull in Ferdinand, the Oscar®-nominated film based on the iconic children’s book.  He will next be seen as the antagonist Agent Burns in the Transformers spinoff Bumblebee.  

Blockers is distributed in the Philippines by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures.  Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/uipmoviesph/; Twitter at https://twitter.com/uipmoviesph and Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/uipmoviesph/