Home PEx Campus De La Salle University

DLSU BS Human Biology 2018

Hi! The results of DCAT 2018 just came in and luckily, I qualified for BS Human Biology. I'm just not quite sure if I will pursue this, since I am not that confident that I can cope up with the high demands of the course. I also read that most students of the course are from science highschools and are very smart. I would admit that I am smart compared to my classmates, but I doubt that I could catch up with the future students of this course. In one post, a former student told that from a particular batch, only less than half survived to pursue med school in dasma. Anyone who could enlighten me (how difficult the program is)? Any qualifiers from the current batch of exam takers?

Comments

• Same sentiments. I'm also from the current batch of passers. Considering that this is an accelerated program gains a plus in me choosing this. The thought of pursuing Med is enticing as well, but really, with all the money, brainpower and time it takes to achieve that, taking NMAT, residency and all, I'm not so sure if I'll think the same way after 3 years. What career opportunities are out there if ever halfway one decides not to continue to med and just get a HumBio degree? What happens then if you want to transfer to another med school like St. Lukes or PGH or UST after dlsu-humbio?

I would want to know beforehand
    how difficult this course is as well
    to weigh my options with other schools and courses
    Since some say that maybe getting a degree from another pre-med course may be better bc of better career opportunities if ever one decides to not continue to med and if ever you would pursue med you still can
  • hobycanasahobycanasa PEx Rookie ⭐
    Congratulations to the both of you and to all passers as well!

I was just granted my shift of course into BS Human Biology. If anyone could tell me what are the foundation courses that the program lacks? (I'm not sure if I'm using the right terms). I come from a very lax high school relative to academics. I want to ensure that I know how to prepare myself this summer especially on Physics, which would be 4 units on the third semester of our first year. Although I come from the STEM strand, I am not proficient in the subject.

Also, are there any Human Bio students that could tell me which buildings do you have most of your classes in? Is it mostly in the College of Science? DLSU is a large campus, and I want to live as close as possible to minimize walking time.

Thank you in advance!
    Always Strive And Prosper
  • hobycanasahobycanasa PEx Rookie ⭐
    elamae said:
    Same sentiments. I'm also from the current batch of passers. Considering that this is an accelerated program gains a plus in me choosing this. The thought of pursuing Med is enticing as well, but really, with all the money, brainpower and time it takes to achieve that, taking NMAT, residency and all, I'm not so sure if I'll think the same way after 3 years. What career opportunities are out there if ever halfway one decides not to continue to med and just get a HumBio degree? What happens then if you want to transfer to another med school like St. Lukes or PGH or UST after dlsu-humbio?

Since some say that maybe getting a degree from another pre-med course may be better bc of better career opportunities if ever one decides to not continue to med and if ever you would pursue med you still can
    You can acquire your undergraduate degree after your 3rd year, so you would have to study at least 1 year in DLS-HSI. After that, you could try to apply to another med school. My relative informed me of this option if someone does not want to study medicine in DLS-HSI.
  • Hello! I hope someone could answer this since CETs are approaching.   :s Anyway, I'm not that smart, just an average student. Since I want to pursue med, I wanted to ask of it's hard to get into BS Hum-Bio? Is it also a quota course? 
  • I consider myself average as well, but I don't know why I passed. Maybe, I just did well during the DCAT. I would assume, med  aspiring students who took the DCAT put Human Biology as their first choice, for it is considered the flagship science course of DLSU. They say, it's hard to get into the course (a quota/honors program), since they only take 20-40 students a year. So, just take your chances and good luck on your exams.
  • elamae said:
    Same sentiments. I'm also from the current batch of passers. Considering that this is an accelerated program gains a plus in me choosing this. The thought of pursuing Med is enticing as well, but really, with all the money, brainpower and time it takes to achieve that, taking NMAT, residency and all, I'm not so sure if I'll think the same way after 3 years. What career opportunities are out there if ever halfway one decides not to continue to med and just get a HumBio degree? What happens then if you want to transfer to another med school like St. Lukes or PGH or UST after dlsu-humbio?

You can acquire your undergraduate degree after your 3rd year, so you would have to study at least 1 year in DLS-HSI. After that, you could try to apply to another med school. My relative informed me of this option if someone does not want to study medicine in DLS-HSI.
    Just to add: If your really don't want to study at DLS-HSI, almost all med schools in manila do not accept incoming second year med students. Meaning, you will have to repeat the first year of medicine in your chosen school. But, just to say, DLS-HSI is already an impressive school. One of the biggest advantages for me is their facilities, since other universities still rely on traditional teaching methods, despite the need for technological literacy for the future doctors. Sabi nga nila, you really get what you pay for. And it's not about the school, it's always on the student. After all, when you take your oath as a doctor, you would all consider yourselves as Filipino doctors and not Lasallian or Thomasian or Isko/a doctors.
  • Hi Guys. Tingin nyo tumatangap sila ng Transferee for Human Bio sa Lasalle Taft or sa Medbio ng Lasalle Dasma?
  • Eaywin said:
    Hi Guys. Tingin nyo tumatangap sila ng Transferee for Human Bio sa Lasalle Taft or sa Medbio ng Lasalle Dasma?
    Hi Eaywin! Well, I can only speak for DLSU Manila, since I'm not familiar with the admission system of DLSU Dasma. What I know is that DLSU does not allow shifting in BS Human Biology if you were previously enrolled in another program. However, if you decide to shift into HUMBIO before enrollment, it is still possible if there are still available slots gained from the qualified students who opted for another program or school.
  • Hello guysss I need help. So I take the DCAT this year and I passed. I just want to know if when can I find out if I pass into the BS Human Bio program. Because in the results given, it just indicated that I was able to pass Medical Biology, but it did not say if the Med Bio that I passed into is either the standard one or the BS Human Bio program. Pleasee helpp thanks for answeringg
  • Hi Shiro, it  means you didn't passed the BS Human Bio if it's your first choice.
  • Any tips for incoming Human Bio students? What are the benefits and disadvantages of the 6-year med course ?
  • Any tips for incoming Human Bio students? What are the benefits and disadvantages of the 6-year med course ?