PCCL National Collegiate Championships

CaptainCharismaCaptainCharisma Moderator PEx Moderator
February 2-11, 2018

Comments

• inghinyeroinghinyero Member PEx Legend ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    Sino ba ang nakakasali dito? Sana pasok UP hahaha
  • BLACKSEDANBLACKSEDAN Member PEx Legend ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    Wishful thinking about UP if indeed the tournament is limited to 8 teams. The top 4 teams is reserved for ADMU, DLSU, SBC Lyceum. You can bet that organizers will invite the CESAFI champions University of VISAYAS. Who the other 3 teams are still a mystery.
  • CaptainCharismaCaptainCharisma Moderator PEx Moderator
    Luzon champs: Naga City Foundation (NCF) Tigers

Mindanao champs: TBD (Mindanao final round between champions of Davao, CDO, Zamboanga, Pagadian, GenSan)

I’m guessing +1 wildcard team
  • redferrariredferrari Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Luzon champs: Naga City Foundation (NCF) Tigers

Mindanao champs: TBD (Mindanao final round between champions of Davao, CDO, Zamboanga, Pagadian, GenSan)

I’m guessing +1 wildcard team

Will this be televised sa S&A?
    redferrari wrote: »
    Will this be televised sa S&A?

I’m guessing it will be, if not fail marketing na naman, but I guess they don’t wanna promote this tournament sa UAAP broadcast
    I’m guessing it will be, if not fail marketing na naman, but I guess they don’t wanna promote this tournament sa UAAP broadcast

Sayang naman kung ganun. ABS should hype up PCCL more, ito yung parang US NCAA Elite Eight in the sense that the best 8 teams all over the country will be battling for the collegiate national title, it would be fun to see DLSU / Ateneo go against battle-tested squads in VisMin

Any chance they will play the games (at least semis / finals) in MOA / Araneta?
    I do not think a school outside of metro Manila has won the tournament. Not the CESAFI teams that had Fajardo, Slaughter or the SWU team of Mbala. The Manila teams simply overwhelmed the Cebu teams with their bench depth.
    BLACKSEDAN wrote: »
    I do not think a school outside of metro Manila has won the tournament. Not the CESAFI teams that had Fajardo, Slaughter or the SWU team of Mbala. The Manila teams simply overwhelmed the Cebu teams with their bench depth.

That's true. The Manila schools are loaded with blue-chippers coming off the bench. :rotflmao:

But to be the best, you still have to beat the best. The VisMin teams will be motivated to dethrone the Manila schools, will the latter fall become complacent and yield the throne to VisMin?
    Aside from beating the Manila schools, CESAFI players get the opportunity to showcase their talent for Manila schools. Slaughter, Mbala, Akomo, Santillan, Manzo and Baclao are just few of the players who eventually transferred to Manila.
    Sayang naman kung ganun. ABS should hype up PCCL more, ito yung parang US NCAA Elite Eight in the sense that the best 8 teams all over the country will be battling for the collegiate national title, it would be fun to see DLSU / Ateneo go against battle-tested squads in VisMin

Any chance they will play the games (at least semis / finals) in MOA / Araneta?

unless the UAAP and NCAA actually promotes this, it won't get traction, imagine after the finals or final four that the losing teams could still bounce back and win the national title, but it is simply against the established leagues' interests to have a tournament be considered more prestigious than theirs

as I said, last decade I watched an Ateneo-La Salle PCCL Final in Araneta and it was more nilalangaw than a typical PBA play date today, maybe a move they could make is to take this tournament to the schools' gymnasiums, that would surely drum up passion and the actual students can actually get access to the best seats in the house, though it might be costly for teams in Vis/Min, a knockout format wouldn't hurt as much as a league format, make the homecourt advantage a random draw

imagine UAAP Schools coming to the smaller schools and getting a rowdy reception, or a small school coming to the Blue Eagle Gym hungry for the upset against a partisan crowd, it could certainly generate a more lively atmosphere than the usual scene we see in other offseason tournaments
    BLACKSEDAN wrote: »
    Aside from beating the Manila schools, CESAFI players get the opportunity to showcase their talent for Manila schools. Slaughter, Mbala, Akomo, Santillan, Manzo and Baclao are just few of the players who eventually transferred to Manila.

this actually works two-ways, sad for the Cebu schools that their best talent gets consistently pirated but it's also for the better since Manila is the prime basketball hub for players with professional aspirations
    unless the UAAP and NCAA actually promotes this, it won't get traction, imagine after the finals or final four that the losing teams could still bounce back and win the national title, but it is simply against the established leagues' interests to have a tournament be considered more prestigious than theirs

as I said, last decade I watched an Ateneo-La Salle PCCL Final in Araneta and it was more nilalangaw than a typical PBA play date today, maybe a move they could make is to take this tournament to the schools' gymnasiums, that would surely drum up passion and the actual students can actually get access to the best seats in the house, though it might be costly for teams in Vis/Min, a knockout format wouldn't hurt as much as a league format, make the homecourt advantage a random draw

imagine UAAP Schools coming to the smaller schools and getting a rowdy reception, or a small school coming to the Blue Eagle Gym hungry for the upset against a partisan crowd, it could certainly generate a more lively atmosphere than the usual scene we see in other offseason tournaments

An option would be for SBP (or whoever is the governing body of Philippine college basketball) is to formally re-organize college hoops like the US NCAA, wherein the UAAP, NCAA, CESAFI and others would be considered sub-leagues of the PCCL (similar to the ACC and Pac-12) with their respective knockout and playoff stages), and the PCCL would be formally recognized as the March Madness type playoff tournament.

Valid point on the UAAP / NCAA objections due to the prestige / ratings / revenue at stake, but with all due respect to the UAAP, winning the UAAP doesn't even technically make you the best school in Manila (the FilOil tournament is a more accurate gauge of this). It would also be in the best interest of the UAAP / NCAA to prove that their top schools are not only the best in Manila, but the cream of the crop of the nation as well. Furthermore the Manila

Implementing this would be difficult and require a lot of time, energy and money, but if the higher-ups realize this and buy in on this vision of raising the level of competition to further improve and develop the players, we should be able to get there eventually.
    ^ Not in my lifetime will it happen. The alumni of the big schools could care less about the PCCL or other preseason tournaments. The FMC and Fil-Oil summer tournament are used by teams to gauge how their team are jelling before the NCAA and UAAP tournament. Nobody remembers who won the summer tournament but the regular season is different.
    An option would be for SBP (or whoever is the governing body of Philippine college basketball) is to formally re-organize college hoops like the US NCAA, wherein the UAAP, NCAA, CESAFI and others would be considered sub-leagues of the PCCL (similar to the ACC and Pac-12) with their respective knockout and playoff stages), and the PCCL would be formally recognized as the March Madness type playoff tournament.

Valid point on the UAAP / NCAA objections due to the prestige / ratings / revenue at stake, but with all due respect to the UAAP, winning the UAAP doesn't even technically make you the best school in Manila (the FilOil tournament is a more accurate gauge of this). It would also be in the best interest of the UAAP / NCAA to prove that their top schools are not only the best in Manila, but the cream of the crop of the nation as well. Furthermore the Manila

Implementing this would be difficult and require a lot of time, energy and money, but if the higher-ups realize this and buy in on this vision of raising the level of competition to further improve and develop the players, we should be able to get there eventually.

MVP and Danding should join forces instead of brandishing multi-million dollar trophies just for show

Another way to spice it up is make the top 6 of the UAAP and NCAA standings qualify in a field of 64, it could make no-bearing games at the tail end of the eliminations matter for those at the 5-8 spots, the standings would actually matter since they have something to play for till the end

I actually consider the UAAP to be similar to the ACC in the way we have Ateneo-La Salle as our Duke-UNC rivalry
    MVP and Danding should join forces instead of brandishing multi-million dollar trophies just for show

Another way to spice it up is make the top 6 of the UAAP and NCAA standings qualify in a field of 64, it could make no-bearing games at the tail end of the eliminations matter for those at the 5-8 spots, the standings would actually matter since they have something to play for till the end

I actually consider the UAAP to be similar to the ACC in the way we have Ateneo-La Salle as our Duke-UNC rivalry

That's an interesting idea also, imagine a Cinderella team like UP or a non-CESAFI VisMin schoolsneaking into the PCCL playoffs and claiming the national championship over a SBC / DLSU / Ateneo?

Nice comparison on UAAP and the ACC (ACC is also still the premier sub-league of the NCAA, so UAAP does not have to lose its luster with a PCCL March Madness playoff), I would consider the NCAA to be similar to ACC since San Beda is so dominant year in / year out ala Kentucky.
  • PEXuserPEXuser Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    If you ask alumni fans which tournament they'd rather have their school win, the PCCL or their mother league, all of them would respond with the latter. Unless that changes you just won't see as much attention or prestige bestowed on the PCCL.

The organizers should start small, have a one game knockout match between the UAAP and NCAA champions for the right to be called national collegiate champions. I think the current Ateneo and San Beda fan bases would be interested in having their team best the champion from the other league. After a couple of years of getting traction and having the tournament mean something, they can expand to add the CESAFI champion and some other leagues. The key here is to cultivate interest first and then building on that instead of simply assuming that there's a ready market.
  • kenilworth12kenilworth12 Go Crimson! Go Maroons! PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I like that idea pero poor organizing has relegated this to a lower tier, I believe.

Although 64 is tad too many to start, I would like to have it up to 16 first (12 MM and 4 provincial teams.)

The 12 MM teams should come from ALL collegiate leagues in existence in this region (I'm calling you NCBL, ISAA and other leagues). Let's just hope the minor collegiate leagues will send their champions to the PCCL should the championship reorganize or expand. :D
  • karahasankarahasan Member 🦅 Eagle Squad🏅

Another source of objection I see (apart from the ones you mentioned) will due to the level of competition of the supposed sub-leagues. In a way, you can consider the UAAP/NCAA/CESAFI as "groups of death", compared to NAASCU or NCAA-South for example. SBP can say, "eh 'di doon kayo sumali sa ibang league", but then the lower-tier schools might object as a result of this (not that the schools will change leagues just because of the PCCL anyway)
  • fordmo47fordmo47 Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    In reality, ito ang pinakaunang pre-season tournament sa Philippine college basketball.
  • silverwhizsilverwhiz Member Next Gen. Tennis Star
    Pa-promote lang po :wave:
    [center-hidden]
    Are you a tennis fan?

Join the 2018 Tennis Top 10 Prediction Challenge!

sjmSF.md.png

Who will make it to the game's elite at the end of 2018?

Get a chance to win exclusive pins and a PEx merch bag.

Submission of picks is open until January 1, 2018 - 11am, PHT.

Check out the official thread for more details!

[/center-hidden]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file