UAAP "All-Time" Teams

CaptainCharismaCaptainCharisma Moderator PEx Moderator
Since it's the off-season, it's a good time for a topic that lends historical perspective. Inspired by 2K18's "all-time teams" for franchises, who are your school's best fantasy line-ups? I understand it might be hard for most to gauge players from the previous eras so you can also do it by decade, up to you if it's a 5, 10, 12 or even 16-man line-up

Ateneo

(2010-present)

Greg Slaughter/Isaac Go/Justin Chua
Nico Salva/Vince Tolentino
Thirdy Ravena/Ryan Buenafe/Chris Newsome
Kiefer Ravena/Von Pessumal/Kirk Long
Matt Nieto/Juami Tiongson/Emman Monfort

2000-2009
Enrico Villanueva/Rabeh Al-Hussaini
Rich Alvarez/Nonoy Baclao
Wesley Gonzales/JC Intal
Larry Fonacier/Chris Tiu/Eric Salamat
LA Tenorio/Jai Reyes

1990-1999 (I guess peeps like RuckuS could elaborate more on this era)
Gabby Cui
Ryan Pamintuan
John Verayo
Ritchie Ticzon
Olsen Racela

1980-1989
Danny Francisco
Eric Reyes
Jett Nieto
Chot Reyes
Gilbert "Jun" Reyes

1970-1979
Steve Watson

All-Time?

Comments

• rabbaddalrabbaddal Westchester Ranger PExer
    Was Steve Watson in the UAAP or NCAA? If you meant general collegiate teams, I would say the La Salle-NCC NCAA program of the 80s that included Ricardo Brown, Dignadice, Yturri, Valenciano, Almario, Uichico and Elmer Reyes. Ron Jacobs was the de facto coach. Now that was some kind of program La Salle had back then. They never intersected with Ateneo though, because the Eagles had already migrated to the UAAP by then.
  • CaptainCharismaCaptainCharisma Moderator PEx Moderator
    rabbaddal wrote: »
    Was Steve Watson in the UAAP or NCAA? If you meant general collegiate teams, I would say the La Salle-NCC NCAA program of the 80s that included Ricardo Brown, Dignadice, Yturri, Valenciano, Almario, Uichico and Elmer Reyes. Ron Jacobs was the de facto coach. Now that was some kind of program La Salle had back then. They never intersected with Ateneo though, because the Eagles had already migrated to the UAAP by then.

Oo nga pala, Watson played for the NCAA Eagles

Shame that the NCC Archers were “leagueless” from the time they left the NCAA to when they “finally” got admitted to the UAAP (DLSU owes a big thanks to FEU for that)
  • tamarawz_14tamarawz_14 Member PEx Guru ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    FEU 2010-present
    Ramos/Escoto/Orizu
    Cervantes/Jose/Cruz
    Cawaling/Sanga/Belo
    Pogoy/Dennison/Tolomia/Exciminiano
    Romeo/Garcia/Barroca

2000-2009
    Castro/Jones/Isip
    Santos/Roldan/Baracael/Pingris
    Catli/Rizada/Bacani
    Chan/Avenido/Fernandez
    Miranda/Villanueva/Cruz

1990-1999
    Manabat/Otto/Punsalan/Nicdao
    Pablo/Magtulis/Victoria
    Echano/Padaong
    Adriano/Chaneco/Gascon
    Mendoza/Abarrientos
  • Larry LegendLarry Legend Member PEx Legend ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    Since it's the off-season, it's a good time for a topic that lends historical perspective. Inspired by 2K18's "all-time teams" for franchises, who are your school's best fantasy line-ups? I understand it might be hard for most to gauge players from the previous eras so you can also do it by decade, up to you if it's a 5, 10, 12 or even 16-man line-up

1990-1999 (I guess peeps like RuckuS could elaborate more on this era)
    Gabby Cui
    Ryan Pamintuan
    John Verayo
    Ritchie Ticzon
    Olsen Racela

1990-1999

Gabby Cui/Ryan Pamintuan
    Brandon Sison/John Verayo/Brian Sison
    Vince Hizon/Rainier Sison/Gabby Severino
    Richie Ticzon/Sandy Arespacochaga/Andrew Cruz
    Olsen Racela/Paul Tan-Chi

The '90s Blue Eagles was like a donut, they had a big hole in the middle. They had to compete with Power Forwards forced to play as undersized Centers.
  • Jess24Jess24 1225 PEx Expert ⭐⭐⭐⭐
    90s - Glowing Goldies/Growling Tigers

PG - Bal David/Dale Singson/Patrick Fran
    SG - Udoy Belmonte/Henry Ong/Angelo Velasco
    SF - Rey Evangelista/Gerard Francisco
    PF - Estong Ballesteros/Edmund Reyes/Richard Yee
    C - Dennis Espino/Chris Cantonjos/Marvin Ortiguerra

Suffice to say, the 90s UST squads was stacked to the roof. I even had to leave out guys like Bethune 'Siot' Tanquincen, Gilbert Lao, Aris Dimaunahan, Mel Latoreno, Emerson Oreta and Derrick Hubalde, though these players had stellar college careers.

2000 - 2009

PG - Japs Cuan/June Cortez
    SG - Cyrus Baguio/Nino Gelig/Jemal Vizcarra
    SF - Dylan Ababou/Jojo Duncil/Allein Maliksi
    PF - Jervy Cruz/Christian Luanzon/Allan Evangelista/Khazim Mirza
    C - Alwyn Espiritu/Mark Canlas

2010 - present

PG - Jeric Fortuna/Ed Dacquiaog
    SG - Jeric Teng/Clark Bautista/Marvin Lee
    SF - Kevin Ferrer/Louie Vigil
    PF - Aljon Mariano/Chris Camus
    C - Karim Abdul/Steve Akomo/Jeepy Faundo
  • Milo96Milo96 Member PEx Guru ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    My all time favorite is the 2010 three-peat Ateneo Blue Eagles.

Nothing beats the feeling to winning a crown by way of upset.

My 2nd and 3rd favorite are the following tied:
    - the 2017 blue eagles since I've always considered La Salle as the favorite this year.
    - the 2002 blue eagles which floundered midway through the season and La Salle favored to 5-peat.
  • maroonmartianmaroonmartian Member PEx Guru ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    UP Fighting Maroons. Might only remember the 2000s since that is when I started following the team

2010 - present

PG- Manzo, Mikee Reyes
    SG- Lao, Juan Gomez De Liano
    SF- Paul Desiderio
    PF- Javi Gomez De Liano, JR Gallarza
    C- Ouatarra, Soyud

2000-2009

PG- Marvin Cruz, Mike Gamboa, Arvin Braganza
    SG- Toti Almeda, Mike Bravo
    SF- Josant Cervantes, Jireh Ibaes
    PF-Nestor David, Jay Agbayani
    C- Abby Santos
    UP Fighting Maroons. Might only remember the 2000s since that is when I started following the team

2010 - present

PG- Manzo, Mikee Reyes
    SG- Lao, Juan Gomez De Liano
    SF- Paul Desiderio
    PF- Javi Gomez De Liano, JR Gallarza
    C- Ouatarra, Soyud

2000-2009

PG- Marvin Cruz, Mike Gamboa, Arvin Braganza
    SG- Toti Almeda, Mike Bravo
    SF- Josant Cervantes, Jireh Ibaes
    PF-Nestor David, Jay Agbayani
    C- Abby Santos

You forgot Jett Manuel in this decade’s team

In the 00s I would add Woody Co, Bornancin and Jay-R Reyes

90s definitely
    Ogie Gumatay
    Paolo Mendoza
    Bryan Gahol +

Jenkins Mesina
    Choochoo Serrano
    Edrick Ferrer
    Gamboa bros?

Who else?
  • Lazy BearLazy Bear Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    FYI, Watson was in the NCAA. And if you're counting all time bests, then Watson plus Francis Arnaiz are a must for the 1970s.
  • princepaul21princepaul21 Moderator PEx Moderator
    Dagdag natin 'to.

Sa past 4 champion teams sa past seasons, sino sa tingin nyo ang Top 2?

UAAP 77 Champs - NU
    UAAP 78 Champs - FEU
    UAAP 79 Champs - DLSU
    UAAP 80 Champs - ADMU

Parang for me, FEU and ADMU since balance ang offense nila and a great defensive team nung season nila.
    1990-1999

Gabby Cui/Ryan Pamintuan
    Brandon Sison/John Verayo/Brian Sison
    Vince Hizon/Rainier Sison/Gabby Severino
    Richie Ticzon/Sandy Arespacochaga/Andrew Cruz
    Olsen Racela/Paul Tan-Chi

The '90s Blue Eagles was like a donut, they had a big hole in the middle. They had to compete with Power Forwards forced to play as undersized Centers.

old but gold :lol:

Bam Aquino @ 1:11:31? :lol:

nakakamiss etong Joaqui Trillo-Jimmy Javier combo, sana pag Ateneo-La Salle rivals din ang commentators
    Dagdag natin 'to.

Sa past 4 champion teams sa past seasons, sino sa tingin nyo ang Top 2?

UAAP 77 Champs - NU
    UAAP 78 Champs - FEU
    UAAP 79 Champs - DLSU
    UAAP 80 Champs - ADMU

Parang for me, FEU and ADMU since balance ang offense nila and a great defensive team nung season nila.

I think if magharap etong apat, parang final four format

NU vs. DLSU
    FEU vs. ADMU

I think it will be the dominant teams of '16 DLSU and '17 ADMU in a toss-up, '14 NU and '15 FEU can and is more than capable of springing a surprise in this hypothetical final four

mas maganda i-rank lahat ng champion teams of the final four era from 1994-2017, wag na isama 1993 UST kasi acknowledged na #1 na sila because of the sweep

Hah! I just rewatched that recently. I was at that game and we were expecting the usual loss to La Salle even prior to the game even starting. That's how big the disparity between the two teams were. Nandun na lang kami para mang-asar. Lol! But it rained threes that day and there was no let up until the last buzzer!

I also was in the same Psych 101 class as Bam Aquino back in college!
  • karahasankarahasan Member 🦅 Eagle Squad🏅

Ang bata pa ni Coach Sandy , with full mane of hair hahahaha!
    Hah! I just rewatched that recently. I was at that game and we were expecting the usual loss to La Salle even prior to the game even starting. That's how big the disparity between the two teams were. Nandun na lang kami para mang-asar. Lol! But it rained threes that day and there was no let up until the last buzzer!

I rewatched this before Game 2 and I thought with the fiery start we had that it was gonna be the second coming of the raining threes game, but lo and behold, it just made the story more worth it :)

Halimaw daw yang si Bam? ME na, summa cum laude pa

Sayang itong 1996 season, we had a fighting chance of making the final four, kinapos lang sa huli, lakas ng UP this time naalala ko
    karahasan wrote: »
    Ang bata pa ni Coach Sandy , with full mane of hair hahahaha!

and coach Gabby, he still has a full mane of hair now, gray hair :lol:
  • combo-ratin-todocombo-ratin-todo Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    DLSU all-time (in my humble opinion)

Ben Mbala - this needs no explanation and should be in any DLSU list that starts with "all-time..."

Jun Limpot - Limpot already had a developed low post game while in the UAAP. He also shot a respectable clip from mid-range and knew how to get to the stripe when they needed a basket. His signature move was the multiple-multiple pump fake :)

Mac Cardona - for me, it was actually a toss up between him and Jerong Teng. I chose him not only because he was a terrific two-way player (with the most awful looking go-to move) but choosing him was also paying tribute to the handful of DLSU players in history who were tough as nails and always played like it was the last minutes of a championship game - "yung kayang makipag palitan ng mukha para manalo". Here's looking at you: Cali Orfrecio, Mon Jose, Cholo Villanueva, Willie Wilson and Kib Montalbo.

Ren-ren Ritualo - many remember him as DLSU's sweet shooting 2-guard for all the 4-peat championships but i remember him best as an unstoppable slasher during his Red Cub days up until his UAAP rookie year. The reason he came to be the shooter that he is, was because defenders wanted to take out the driving lane away first. This made him a nightmare on the pnr and ran double screen plays for him a la Reggie Miller for the corner 3. The slashing prowess distinguishes him from UP's Mike Bravo who was also a terrific spot-up shooter but offered nothing else.

Mike Cortez - i am aware of the infamy that surrounded Mike Cortez back in 2002 where he allegedly threw a championship game for 2M. Whether it was true or not, his talent remains undeniable. He was a dominant scoring PG who languished his peak PBA years under a system that wasn't a fit for his style of play. The triangle under Cone required a true PG (i.e. Abarrientos, Tenorio). While in college, he already had a pro-ready body and PBA-ready range from the perimeter, not to mention incredible upper body strength to finish in the lane.

Coach: Juno Sauler - it's him or Pumaren...Derrick Pumaren. I know it was Franz who led DLSU to a 4-peat but he has this nasty habit of losing to Ateneo in a Finals series lol :( . I am forever indebted to Franz for the glorious 4-peat but Franz Pumaren basketball needs a revamp. A lot of his system leans heavily on PG play, as you'll notice DLSU went on a decade long spree of loading guards on the roster, easily forgetting that the 4-peat was anchored on big men too (Allado, Sta. Maria, Sharma). Especially now with basketball evolving to having stretch 3's and 4's, hybrid scoring PG's and making the 3-point shot a more frequent viable offensive option.

I chose Sauler because I think he deployed a sustainable system of all of the coaches that I've seen for DLSU. Remember that in his rookie year, Sauler inherited a Pumaren roster that had 8 guards, count 'em: Kib Montalbo, Almond Vosotros, Rob Bolick, Luigi de la Paz, Oda Tampus, Gabby Reyes, LA Revilla and Thomas Torres. Yet still managed to go all the way with a tight 8-man rotation. If I can get a coach outside of the DLSU list, I'd go with Koy Banal, Altamirano and Nash Racela (in that order).

PS: I've never seen Lim Eng Beng play so I can't say how I can put him on my list despite being a highly accomplished professional basketball player. The names above were cagers I've seen play live and on TV. Which means I only chose from the DLSU UAAP player roster as I never got to see the NCAA years.

Honorable mentions: Ayan lalabas na ang edad...Johnedel Cardel, Rafa Dinglasan, Dindo Pumaren, Joey Sta. Maria, Lago brothers, Jason Webb, Mark Telan, Don Allado, Joseph Yeo, Ty Tang and Jerong Teng.
  • boogie_manboogie_man Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

Haha I was at that game too! That was one memorable game! I almost always watched the Ateneo-La Salle games even during the dark ages of Ateneo in the 90's. Since laging talunan ang Ateneo nun, it was fairly easy to get tickets then. If I'm not mistaken, it was during these times that the "win or lose" in our alma mater song was emphasized because we were always losing hehe.
    boogie_man wrote: »
    Haha I was at that game too! That was one memorable game! I almost always watched the Ateneo-La Salle games even during the dark ages of Ateneo in the 90's. Since laging talunan ang Ateneo nun, it was fairly easy to get tickets then. If I'm not mistaken, it was during these times that the "win or lose" in our alma mater song was emphasized because we were always losing hehe.

It got to the point where we joking that the phrase should be changed to 'lose or lose' whenever we played against La Salle coz we always lost. Lol! Buti na lang nagbago ang ihip ng hangin, nag-improve ang recruiting ng Ateneo and the Blue Eagles are now perennial contenders.
    boogie_man wrote: »
    It got to the point where we joking that the phrase should be changed to 'lose or lose' whenever we played against La Salle coz we always lost. Lol! Buti na lang nagbago ang ihip ng hangin, nag-improve ang recruiting ng Ateneo and the Blue Eagles are now perennial contenders.

Sino ba mga coaches nung 1990s? I'm trying to remember but I need your help :lol:

2016-present - Tab Baldwin
    2013-2015 - Bo Perasol
    2005-2012 - Norman Black
    2004 - Alexander Arrespacochaga
    2002-2003 - Joel Banal
    1999-2001 - Joe Lipa

1994 - Cris Calilan

1988 - Fritz Gaston
    1987 - Cris Calilan

fill in the gaps :lol:
  • boogie_manboogie_man Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Sino ba mga coaches nung 1990s? I'm trying to remember but I need your help :lol:

2016-present - Tab Baldwin
    2013-2015 - Bo Perasol
    2005-2012 - Norman Black
    2004 - Alexander Arrespacochaga
    2002-2003 - Joel Banal
    1999-2001 - Joe Lipa

1994 - Cris Calilan

1988 - Fritz Gaston
    1987 - Cris Calilan

fill in the gaps :lol:

If I'm not mistaken, Perry Ronquillo coached for 1 year in the 90s. Sorry can't remember exact year.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file