Ben Mbala as an import in the PBA

CaptainCharismaCaptainCharisma Moderator PEx Moderator
Can it happen? Feasible?

Surely he’s a better option than some of the lemon imports of recent times? He might be on the radar of NBA scouts too

+ He’s already accustomed to the Philippine style of play, and dominant (albeit collegiate-wise, but if there was any doubt that he can hang with pro players, he was a beast in FIBA Afrobasket)

He can play all frontcourt positions and is still developing

I know it’s too much but his ties to SMC through DLSU just made me wonder his probable fit with SMB, imagine a JMF-CS-Mbala frontcourt

Just like the experiment regarding Asian imports, maybe a concession could be made regarding the hiring of previous “student athlete” African imports during one of the reinforced conferences limited to teams in the bottom four of the AFC perhaps, these players who are “supposedly” helping the “development” of local big men through competition just fall of the map completely after their collegiate careers anyway

Comments

• darknight10darknight10 Member ✭✭✭
    What's his height? I think he's only like 6'5 considering Ateneo's Ikeh is 6'7 and looks much taller than him.

He's too good for college basketball and I think will just right in the PBA. However, I don't think we'll see him dominate like an Allen Durham. He'll be a very good player though if he is a local. M5 candidate. Unless a team is desperate to get a center in Governor's Cup, I don't see him playing in the PBA.
  • CaptainCharismaCaptainCharisma Moderator PEx Moderator
    What's his height? I think he's only like 6'5 considering Ateneo's Ikeh is 6'7 and looks much taller than him.

He's too good for college basketball and I think will just right in the PBA. However, I don't think we'll see him dominate like an Allen Durham. He'll be a very good player though if he is a local. M5 candidate. Unless a team is desperate to get a center in Governor's Cup, I don't see him playing in the PBA.

He’s listed at 6’8” so probably 6’6 or 7” or baka 5” knowing PBA’s tape measure, he’s not a true center, just forces to play there because it’s college, he’s probably a natural 4 or maybe even 3, he might be of good use for teams with already towering frontlines maybe as a Brownlee type (i.e. SMB, BGK)
  • KevinDurantKevinDurant Member ✭✭✭
    Might be better for him. In the UAAP because of his huge advantage in athleticism he tends to forget the basics like boxing out, rotations on defense etc.

But I don't see him dominating in the PBA as an import. He's athletic but I'd say a poor man's version of Gabe Freeman.
  • BestintheworldWJBestintheworldWJ best Pexer ever! ✭✭✭
    Teka napanuod niyo ba siya sa Fiba Africa? Dominating siya doon, kahit papano puro negro at mas malalaki kalaban niya pero dominating siya.

SMB can tap Big Ben to play 3 or 4 spot. Malakas si Big Ben. Hindi lang yan pang UAAP.
  • BestintheworldWJBestintheworldWJ best Pexer ever! ✭✭✭
    Hindi hearsay lang. Here's the data just open the link: http://www.fiba.basketball/afrobasket/2017/Benoit-Mbala
  • Jess24Jess24 1225 ✭✭✭✭
    Mbala is a natural combo forward. In the FIBA Africa, he was draining 3 pointers on a consistent basis and was his team's best scorer. Hinde naman malamya competition sa FIBA Africa, may legit NBA talents na naglalaro dun. I think he can definitely play in the PBA.
  • renaissance11renaissance11 for the better ✭✭✭
    No way he is 6'8... ilang beses ko na siya nakita. I think mas accurate kung 6'5 lang siya. Di ako nalakihan at manipis.

Same country sila ni si trust the process. I doubt he stays in ph. Madami magagaling na player sa bansa nila like mbah a moute. Although mas mataas philippines sa fiba ranking???
  • Jess24Jess24 1225 ✭✭✭✭
    No way Ben is 6'8. Papi Sarr looks taller than him and he is only listed as 6'6" :lol:

Cameroon is ranked #52, Philippines is #30 sa FIBA rankings. Im sure Ben can play in the PBA, but to say he will dominate, that's a stretch.
  • latundanlatundan Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 16
    Eh mapapacheer pala si LOLOLOLOLOL sa purefoods. hahahahahah

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file