Home PEx Lifestyle Travel and Leisure
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

can u go to boracay on a budget?

i've never been to boracay and i want to go there before summer of 2002 ends. however, i've spent so much these days and i'm not willing to splurge on an expensive vacation.

any tips on how i can save up and still enjoy boracay? is the ferry to boracay safe? where should i stay?

Comments

• sinner_notsaintsinner_notsaint PEx Rookie ⭐
    it's quite expensive if you book through travel agencies, so i suggest you make your own plans.

try the super ferry to dumaguit (aklan) from manila. they have a thrice weekly schedule - manila to dumaguit (mondays, wednesdays, saturdays), and back (tuesdays, thursdays, and sundays). that would cost around 2200. that's 3400 cheaper than when you take the plane. roundtrip airfare to kalibo is now 5600.

then take the shuttle service to caticlan that would cost 100/person. there are vans waiting sa dumaguit pier na mismo. or even cheaper if you ride ceres buses from kalibo.

ferry from caticlan to boracay would be 20 pesos/person.

where to stay? if you want yung sa beachfront na mismo, try chez de paris, which is about 20 walks away from boat station 2 and right beside le soleil. their aircon rooms for two costs 2000 pesos during peak season and they have garden fan rooms which costs php 1000 for two persons.

also sa beachfront but quite far from the boat stations is bamboo bungalows. their room for two costs php 1000 and php 2000 for a family of four. thse are fan rooms.

or try michelle's bungalows in one of the alleys near boat staion 3. their room for two would cost php 700.

sa pagkain naman, you can eat at some stalls inside talipapa. meals for two would cost php200. busog na kayo nun.
  • sinner_notsaintsinner_notsaint PEx Rookie ⭐
    it would be helpful if you have aklanon friends or at least speak the dialect. kasi pwede ka tumawad when renting boats or motorcycles. mas malaki ang tawad pag sa mga locals.
  • sneezysneezy PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    kung marami kayo, try cocomangas. ang lapit sa beach and its at station 1.

P5500/night. kasya siguro 10-15 people. may kitchen pa para if u want to cook. may cable and the banyo is ok.

malinis and comfortable.
  • NerfyNerfy PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Im not sure what your budget is, but mine was 8000 php all included (trip, room, food, etc)... during the Holy Week season (peak season). This was back in the year 2000. It was a 5 day stay.

This is what my barkada did:

Took the SuperFerry from Manila to Aklan. Get the slightly higher fare so that you are in one of the airconditioned rooms. We took Cebu Pacific on the way back. A little more expensive than taking the ferry back, but we were pressed for time.

Booked our room in advance through the internet. We stayed in the north area, near Willys Rock. I personally think this is the best area of the stretch of the beach because it isnt as crowded as the south part, and all the nightspots are here too (no need to take the tricycle). 2-3 people can stay in one room (except of course, the couples, which should get their own room :D).

Brought canned goods. Spam, Corned Beef, Viena Sausage, etc. Some restaurants charge a small fee for cooking canned goods... definitely cheaper than buying their food (we just bought rice). Konting usap lang yan sa cook o sa waitress.

Brought our own liquor. Not beer, but the hard stuff, like Tequila and Vodka.

Brought our own bottled water!

All of this extra heavy stuff (canned goods, water, etc) can all fit into one large duffel that people can take turns bringing.

I hope this helps! :D
  • Nerfy's tip is good.
    But if you were on a real budget and blending in with the crowd was not important to you, first, go there off-season--around Sept to early Oct. Hotel rates are much much lower and the beach is clearer of humanity. While most of it would be sunny, expect some rain.
    Koboy ba kayo? You may try the delapidated,non-aircon (fan lang) cottages near the police station at Station 3 (yata?) near the Tourist Assistance Outpost where they display those poor stuffed sharks and their huge pairs of maxillaries and mandibles (God! I really can't remember the name of the store!!) The Cottage's name I think was Sunny Breeze (the huge signage was destroyed by a storm--it's poorly painted and defeats its purpose, anyway. It's private though and you may cook, bbq, dine in the bermuda yard under the tree shade. Cheap na cheap lang doon. By the way, somebody might tell you na may namboboso doon; wala na yon--nahuli na at pinalayas na ng may-ari. It's safe--near nga sa Police Outpost. Don't worry, pulis probinsiya yun--hindi pulis Manila; hindi kayo mapapahamak d'on.
    SuperFerry is good, as suggested by Nerfy. Secure a round-trip bus booking between the dock and Caticlan, i.e. secure round trip rides. Except for the long trip to and from Manila, you may find boat ride to Aklan OK, but, after the vacation, you might need to fly swiftly back, so budget for a plane ride. Cebu Pacific is OK.
    Right! Bring all your food stuff--mahal ang food sa Boracay. Includig vegies. Medyo baduy, pero its wise. If you're a good homemaker, you'r appreciate it. But weight out the cost of bringing your water supply for the entire trip. You might find it more practical to spare extra pesos for water in Boracay than get burdened by the 1-kg/liter load. Finally, don't get intimidated by the handsome facades of the hotels; you'd be surprised some of them are reasonably--even cheaply--priced. Inquire! If you arrived there late afternoon, it's OK to settle in a first reasonably-priced and safe lodging that you can see so you can retire for the night. But it's ok to move out the following day when you have already inquired around and found your desired lodging. Of course, it's best to ask around muna about lodging in Boracay prior to your trip.
    I hope you enjoy your trip and find Boracay the best beach you have ever been to. It was for me, and been there four times.
  • I bet you can! We're going there 2 weeks from now so far, I'm estimating more or less 8K for 2 persons for 4 days/3 nights.

First, we're going there by boat. We got tickets from MBRS lines - it's the only shipping line with the Manila-Caticlan route. I believe Super Ferry and a couple other shipping lines go through Aklan, which would mean additional hour of land transport.

Tickets cost P1,250/person for cabin one-way. As for the accommodation, a friend of a friend of mine, suggested this place - Cottage Queen . It's not of those you'll see advertised in the web but my friend trusts her friend's judgement and she said it's a good place to stay. Rate is P800/night in a fan room.

Another person who replied in this thread mentioned Michelle's Bungalows. That's where my friend stayed when they went there last year and she said it's also nice. But as I've told you, these places to stay do not compare to resorts like Boracay Regency, Pink Patio, Cocomangas and the like.

If you need tel. nos. of MBRS and/or Cottage Queen, just PM me. Hope this helps! :)
  • aZiaZi PExer
    hi.. i have a question.. for accommodations, mas mabuti pang magpa-reserve na agad via the net or pag dating na lang sa boracay? san kami mas makakatipid?
  • NerfyNerfy PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Definitely reserve your room in advance, either through the internet or by calling them up. That way, you can lock the price of the room... if you decide to look for lodging only when you arrive, you might not find any hotel with rooms, or they might jack up the price, etc.
  • i've never been to boracay and i want to go there before summer of 2002 ends. however, i've spent so much these days and i'm not willing to splurge on an expensive vacation.

any tips on how i can save up and still enjoy boracay? is the ferry to boracay safe? where should i stay?

preho tayo ng problema.. now all the info from peeps here really save my pocket. :) thanks guys!
  • This has really helped me a lot too! thanks a lot guys!!! :)

btw, how long is the boat ride from Manila to Caticlan?
  • thanks for your input guys!!!! big help!!! :)
  • you can save if you take a boat instead of flying. if you take the superferry, the ride from manila to dumaguit takes roughly about 17 hours. i suggest that you book early and ask for a cabin which can either have 2 or 4 beds, a tv and most importantly, your own bathroom. the cabins are taken quite quickly because the vessel is relatively small. we had tourist accomodations (bunks w/ aircon) going to dumaguit and it can get quite noisy in that section. and the communal bathrooms are awful!!! it costs around P950 one way (net of 15% student discount---bring your ID when you buy the ticket) and i think you only have to add around P100-P200 to upgrade to cabin accomodations (it's worth it, believe me!). if you're part of a big group and you're really trying to save, you can get 1 cabin and the rest can stay in tourist, salitan na lang kayo sa pag stay sa cabin. or ok lang naman matulog yun iba sa tourist kung willing sila pero kung may kahit 1 lang kayong cabin, at least may banyo kayo. spread out niyo na lang evenly yung extra cost. in the same light, you can check out the staterooms which cost something like P3500 (for two people na yung price na yun). the only problem is there are only 2 twin beds but its a really big room with a receiving area and a couch, tv (some even come with a bath tub) and so your group can hang out there.

boracay is such a great place and what's even better is that ity doesn't have to burn a hole in your pocket. we stayed for 5 days and 4 nights and i only spent P8000 including fare. at hindi pa ako nagtipid nun ha! (except on the superferry).

ay, at saka very helpful nga kapag may kasama kayong Ilonggo (or marunong mag-Ilonggo) because the prices of the things you buy can go lower.
  • hi there!

i've been to boracay with my friends last summer.
    and i can say that when it comes to accomodations
    you can save by visiting this website. www.mbungalows.com
    the room rates are from 700pesos and up
    no air con though but its ok since mahangin naman dun eh!
    pero when it comes to food medyo dun ka mapapagastos
    so bring food since eating in a restaurant comes expensive.
    hope you could go to boracay! you'll love it there!
  • Guys in this time of economic crisis instead of staying in a high-priced resort may we humbly suggest our place in Boracay at Station 2? Vacation place ko to when I'm there and thought of having it rented when I'm back here in Cebu. 2 rooms lang siya with dining area at the front. Aircon, Hot Shower, Cable TV, and 24-hour security. Pics of the place http://friendster.com/travelnandos Please call Frances 09237112179 landline (036) 2884456 for bookings. My email: [email protected]. My fax: (032) 4129707. We are giving it very cheap at 1k a night for 2 pax. Here's an independent review of the place: http://www.backpackingphilippines.com/2008/04/boracay-dtalipapa-fresh-seafood-market.html1274167
  • almirafealmirafe PEx Rookie ⭐
    hi guys! newbie here... ask *** po ko kc just booked a flight from zestair going to kalibo this july 23-25. ano po bang mga modes of transportation that we have to take to get to boracay shores... and ano po *** mga fee na kelangan pang bayaran when we get to kalibo? thanks po!
    Hi! your suggestion sounds great for those on budget! thanks!
    orano wrote: »
    I bet you can! We're going there 2 weeks from now so far, I'm estimating more or less 8K for 2 persons for 4 days/3 nights.

First, we're going there by boat. We got tickets from MBRS lines - it's the only shipping line with the Manila-Caticlan route. I believe Super Ferry and a couple other shipping lines go through Aklan, which would mean additional hour of land transport.

Tickets cost P1,250/person for cabin one-way. As for the accommodation, a friend of a friend of mine, suggested this place - Cottage Queen . It's not of those you'll see advertised in the web but my friend trusts her friend's judgement and she said it's a good place to stay. Rate is P800/night in a fan room.

Another person who replied in this thread mentioned Michelle's Bungalows. That's where my friend stayed when they went there last year and she said it's also nice. But as I've told you, these places to stay do not compare to resorts like Boracay Regency, Pink Patio, Cocomangas and the like.

If you need tel. nos. of MBRS and/or Cottage Queen, just PM me. Hope this helps! :)

Hi! your suggestion really helps! Thank you!
  • istarbaksistarbaks PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    of course.... lalo na kung isang milyung piso ang budget mo...
  • palaboysxpalaboysx PEx Rookie ⭐
    OO naman pwedeng budget sa boracay.... Ive been there with only 2,000 budget for 2 nights 3 days
  • almirafe wrote: »
    hi guys! newbie here... ask *** po ko kc just booked a flight from zestair going to kalibo this july 23-25. ano po bang mga modes of transportation that we have to take to get to boracay shores... and ano po *** mga fee na kelangan pang bayaran when we get to kalibo? thanks po!

Pag ka galing mo ng kalibo may mga van dun going to caticlan. bali 200/person singil dun. 1 hr. drive yun. tas pag ka baba mo sa caticlan terminal bile ka ng tiket pa bora.175 per person yun (env fee, term fee, boat fee )