Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

Bad Genius (2017)

Thai film with a clever plot and looks very entertaining. Major box office hit in various asian countries like HK, taiwan, malaysia and vietnam. This will be shown in Philippine cinemas starting october 18. Let's see if the hype is real.

Comments

• anantraanantra PEx Rookie ⭐
    Yes, it is a very dramatic movie, you will be exciting from start to finish.
    IMDb 8.3
    100% for Rotten tomatoes

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6788942/
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bad_genius/

Award

New York Asian Film Festival
    -Best Feature film
    -lead actress Chutimon received International Rising Star Asia

Fantasia Film Festival
    -Award for Best Director
    -S?quences Award for Best Film
    (gold prize in two Audience Awards)
    -Best Asian Feature Film
    -Most Innovative Feature Film

Fukuoka International Film Festival
    -won the Audience Award

Fantastic Fest 2017
    -Best Thriller Feature
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/bad-genius-chalat-kem-kong-1018115

'Bad Genius' ('Chalat Kem Kong'): Film Review
    12:04 PM PDT 6/30/2017 by Clarence Tsui
    FACEBOOK
    TWITTER
    EMAIL ME
    PRINT
    COMMENTS

Courtesy of GDH 559/Jorkwang Films
    'Bad Genius'
    A cleverly executed thriller that passes the test. TWITTER

Nattawut Poonpiriya’s caper, about a ring of teenage exam scammers, opens the New York Asian Film Festival after scoring high at the Thai box office in May.
    Four years after making his debut with the New York-set horror flick Countdown — in which three Thai teens get more than they wish for from a goateed drug dealer called Jesus — 36-year-old helmer Nattawut Poonpiriya manages to turn a comparable premise into a relentless, high-octane caper with nods to Hollywood heist flicks past and present.

Based on recent revelations about real-life scandals in the international college-admission Scholastic Assessment Tests (SAT), Bad Genius scores high marks as a ceaselessly entertaining thriller that cedes little ground to the cheap comedy and sentimentality of recent Thai hits. Nattawut admitted he watched The Conversation and All the Presidents' Men for inspiration, and it shows as the film flourishes through its simple narrative and taut editing.

With exams now basically an essential part of modern life, Bad Genius could easily resonate across various demographics — and even qualify as a mildly worded social critique, with its allusions to the inequality and corruption engulfing the young Thai protagonists. And just like his characters, Nattawut has turned his exam scams into big business: The May 3 release topped the Thai box office during its opening weekend and now stands as the highest-grossing homegrown title in Thailand this year, with takings of nearly U.S.$3.3 million. The film opens the New York Asian Film Festival on June 30, and it wouldn’t be a surprise if someone snaps up remake rights after that.

Masato Tsujioka in 'Suffering of Ninko'
    READ MORE
    'Suffering of Ninko' ('Ninkô no junan'): Film Review
    The titular heroine (or anti-heroine) here is straight-A student Lynn (played by model Chutimon Chuengcharoensukying in her first screen role), who, as the film begins, has just enrolled in an elite school. Hailing from a lower middle-class background — her father (1980s pop singer-producer Thaneth Warakulnukroh) is a plain, recently divorced schoolteacher — the teenager discovers, much to her chagrin, that fraud is endemic in her new surroundings. While the school charges students "tea money," teachers leak exam papers to students in return for "tutoring fees."

Watching her father scavenge money for her tuition, the good girl soon turns bad as she develops a plan to earn a quick buck. Egged on by the beautiful but dim-witted Grace (Eisaya Hosuwan) and her rich but equally dense boyfriend Pat (Teeradon Supapunpinyo), Lynn devises a system by which she can relay answers to them — and anyone who's willing to pay — during tests. Beginning with a small-scale experiment in a classroom, Lynn's operation eventually balloons into a derring-do venture with a bigger test taking place in the school hall, as she scrambles to beat a cheat-proof device in the exam papers.

READ MORE
    'Flower and Sword' ('Hana Ikusa'): Film Review | Shanghai 2017
    Having somehow passed the test on that one — a mission Nattawut conveys very impressively via a mise-en-scene resembling that of a heist more than a high-school comedy — Lynn’s fortune-making enterprise grinds to a halt because of a complaint lodged by her impoverished, equally talented but much more scrupulous rival, Bank (Chanon Santinatornkul). Soon enough, however, Lynn finds bigger fish to fry. Asked by Grace and Pat for her help in their efforts to score decent results at the STIC tests — a fictional equivalent of the SAT — she comes up with a more elaborate and profitable venture, one that would require more logistics, a trip to Australia and, most problematically, Bank’s help.

Devoid of the fantastical gadgets that many a 21st century media-savvy maverick would conveniently throw in, Bad Genius is as markedly low-tech as its unassuming title: here, the scammers operate with consumer-grade smartphones, pencils and old-school printing presses, table-tapping fingers, strategically timed bathroom breaks and extreme ways of feigning sickness. Nattawut has managed to make all this work (glossing over a few problems in the plotting) with his dynamic storytelling, thanks to Phaklao Jiraungkoonkun’s camerawork and Chonlasit Upanigikit’s cutting.

While allowing just enough of a glimpse of the internal anguish of Lynn and Bank, the director — here helped by engaging turns from Chutimon and Chamon — refrains from expanding that emotion into cliched melodrama. In an audacious move, he denies Bank a chance at redemption, as the boy emerges from his ordeal with his values utterly and dismayingly transformed. Perhaps to avoid being accused of advocating that crime pays, Nattawut has Lynn repent on her misdeeds. But he keeps that note brief and devoid of moralizing or high drama. Bad Genius ultimately is more about the escapade than its consequences, showing that bad things continue to happen in this crooked world.

Production companies: GDH 559, Jokwang Films

Cast: Chutimon Chuengcharoensukying, Eisaya Hosuwan, Teeradon Supapunpinyo, Chanon Santinatornkul
    Director: Nattawut Poonpiriya
    Screenwriters: Tanida Hantaweewatana, VasudhornPiyaromna, NattawutPoonpiriya, Timothy Teo
    Producers: Jira Maligool, Vanridee Ponsittisak, Chenchonnee Soonthonsaratul, Weerachai Yaikwawong
    Executive producers: Paiboon Damrongchaitham, Boosaba Daorueng, Jina Osothsilp
    Director of photography: Phaklao Jiraungkoonkun
    Production designer: Patchara Lertkai
    Music: Vichaya Vatanasapt
    Editor: Chonlasit Upanigikit

In Thai and English
    130 minutes
    http://nerdist.com/the-must-see-movie-of-2017-is-the-playful-high-school-heist-bad-genius-fantasia-review/

THE MUST-SEE MOVIE OF 2017 IS THE PLAYFUL HIGH SCHOOL HEIST BAD GENIUS (FANTASIA REVIEW)

POSTED BY SCOTT BEGGS ON JULY 28, 2017

Bad Genius is an absolute unbridled joy to watch. A nail-biter with its tongue in its cheek, watching it brought on the same fist-pumping elation of seeing Shaun of the Dead for the first time and discovering an impeccable new filmmaking voice with technical skill and fresh creativity. Writer/director Nattawut Poonpiriya has applied the language of heist cinema to high school kids cheating on tests to create a thrilling winner.

The movie opens with math prodigy Lynn (Chutimon Chuengcharoensukying) earning her way into an exclusive, expensive high school with brains and bold moves that leave her father (Thaneth Warakulnukroh) embarrassed but proud (and in far better financial shape). Grace (Eisaya Hosuwan) is the bubbly first friend Lynn makes at her new school, and they decide to use each other’s skills–academics and popularity–to mutual benefit. When Grace gets her boyfriend Pat (Teeradon Supapunpinyo) and his money involved, Lynn launches a small cheating business with an ingenious method for letting her paying classmates copy her answers. Hopefully Lynn’s competition for top of the class, Bank (Chanon Santinatornkul), doesn’t ruin it for everyone.

Bad Genius Main

Bad Genius is a showcase of everything great cinema is capable of. It’s a complex look at young hopes and social status wrapped around a rocket ship of a high concept. Poonpiriya and company have a blast with the cheating scheme, using whip pans and hero shots to elevate the intensity of writing answers down on an eraser and passing it one desk down inside your Mary Janes. Lynn invents a musical code to share answers in plain sight, and it’s eventually treated with the operatic, dream-like style it deserves. The film expertly plays these moments for both comedy and tension, respecting the natural dichotomy of the stakes of cheating on a math test. Either it determines the rest of your life, or it’s silly youthful indiscretion. Or both at the same time.

The plot that results is like Ocean’s Eleven if Ocean’s Eleven had any real risks. If you were ever actually worried that smooth George Clooney and Friends wouldn’t pull it off in the end. Lynn is excellent at math, but she’s not a superhero, and when she sets a scheme in motion to get her friends scholarships and entry to schools outside of Thailand by scamming an international version of the SATs, a dozen obstacles emerge. Then a dozen more. And a dozen more. And a dozen more for good measure.

As soon as you think they’re in as deep as they can go, another brick gets added to the pile.

Bad Genius

Each of them digs your nails further into the armrest and forces you to hold your breath, but Bad Genius isn’t satisfied with loose ends or convoluted outs. It puts its clever, imperfect characters into genuine danger and offers realistic, applause-worthy escape routes. The script and editing are airtight and incendiary, but the movie–despite making audiences break out in a sweat–never feels too heavy. The caper offers the pressure and fun; the characters offer the heart and soul.

All of them are written as Breakfast Club tropes who, like the library-bound kids of the John Hughes classic, deepen and round out as the story and the cheating intensify. Relationships are challenged and reshaped, and the futures for these young minds come into clear focus. Chuengcharoensukying is an outstanding talent whose Lynn is the explosive engine of this film, a young woman with intelligence, charisma, and a lot of doors still closed to her.

Bad Genius Thai

The yin to her yang his Bank, the other scholarship student in her class who’s trying his hardest to succeed so his working class mother won’t have to scrub her hands raw when the washing machine at their cleaning business breaks for the third time in a week. He begins earnest and uptight, yet street smart, which makes his journey into darker territory as compelling as Lynn’s. The rest of the surrounding young cast is excellent, dropping punch lines like seasoned pros and making the stakes of the escapade sing.

It has the humanity and complexity of Catch Me If You Can as well as style and construction that would make Edgar Wright salivate. Every element is sheer perfection. The script, the vision, the tone, and the actors who wrap it in a neat, adrenaline-soaked bow. All of it works. None of it is wasted. Bad Genius is literally flawless.

5 out of 5 piano-coded burritos
    Bad Genius: Movie Reviews from Malaysia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbTzGoAR9r4
    bad genius movie in Westerner after watching

https://letterboxd.com/film/bad-genius/reviews/

Wilson
    ★★★★★ Watched by Wilson 29 Aug, 2017 2
    What can I say, I'm a sucker for heist movies about smart asians making bank and ****ing over the system at the same time.

EDIT: I feel like I need to elaborate because this film currently sits atop my Best of 2017 list that includes both American indies and Hollywood blockbusters. Bad Genius is your typical post 2010 Asian popcorn movie. But year after year, Asian blockbusters have achieved so much more in terms of storytelling and coherency than the US.

Bad Genius is a film that is held up by a base made up of four simple and strong things
    1 - a compelling and fun premise
    2 - memorable and extremely well acted lead characters
    3 - a distinct and well thought out visual style
    4 - a balanced and well paced plot

These things never falter throughout the course of the movie, and is what leads this film to greatness. It's hard to find a major or annoying fault in a film that has such a strong base. I can easily say that this was also the most fun I've had in a movie theatre all year.

Hollywood, take notes.

Danastri Nabilah
    ★★★★★ Watched by Danastri Nabilah 28 Aug, 2017
    I don't have many references on heist-thriller film, but lemme say this Thailand's piece IS SUPER FRESH & FREAKIN' AWESOME! they build the tense & mood perfectly through beauty cinematography, bold-dynamic editing, & intense scoring. am 100% impressed. a must watch!

Aquila
    ★★★★ Watched by Aquila 26 Jul, 2017
    I loved every minute of this brilliant, polished, edge of your seat thriller about sitting exams. Great casting and perfect pacing: see this version before Hollywood remakes it

Ian Anderson
    ★★★★½ Watched by Ian Anderson 11 Aug, 2017
    Thrillers normally involve threats to life. But the Thai thriller Bad Genius involves issues that are much more relevant to young people. Pressure to succeed, in this case, succeed at exams and other pressures from the education system, parents, and other students.

Balancing the tension of the exam room, blackmail, betrayal and secrets with humour this is teen thriller tempts us to root for cheaters while not losing sight of the moral implications in a thriller that is as entertaining as its more violent cousins.

viviancfan
    ★★★★★ Watched by viviancfan 12 Aug, 2017
    a thrilling character-driven film

more intense than Dunkirk

Andrew Cozens
    ★★★★ Watched by Andrew Cozens 25 Jul, 2017
    NZIFF #12 of 34

Counting the days till the Hollywood remake

Annie
    ★★★★ Watched by Annie 21 Jul, 2017
    Not perfect (in the sense there are some forced situations/tropes), but a great crowd pleaser. The lead is very engaging. Interesting use of titles within the scenes and the chase is thrilling (although this test supervisor is way too motivated). The score also enhances the experience. Will fare very well with its audience and it exceeded my expectations. Look forward to the inevitably lousy american remake.

Brian Tallerico
    ★★★★ Watched by Brian Tallerico 20 Jul, 2017
    A total blast. Imagine if Aaron Sorkin wrote a heist/caper movie but then made it about kids taking the SATs. I know that sounds impossible but trust me, it works. And the American remake is as inevitable as anything I've ever seen. It will be a HIT.

Malnivek
    ★★★★½ Watched by Malnivek 28 Sep, 2017
    Fantastic Fest 2017
    This turned out to be way better than I expected. I loved the story, all the actors/actresses, and the characters. Premise is about a super smart but poor girl who is pretty straight edged who then starts letting others cheat off her for money. Scheming escalates into cheating for STIC test which is world wide for even more money and plenty of interlaced drama in between. This is like a heist movie but its just cheating on tests and more depth in the plot and characters.
    The most interesting part of this movie was Bank's character arc which gets kind of dark. I loved how he was also like the protagonist Lynn in being straight edged and a top of the line student who eventually turns bad. The struggle Lynn has with the whole arc of turning to cheating then back out then back in only to accomplish her goal but realizing even with the money it wasnt worth it ruining Bank and driving him down a path that ultimately changes him for the worse. Not to mention her struggle of home life with her single father and Chutimon Chuengcharoensukying does an amazing job portraying all this.

Just a great movie all around and very enjoyable to watch.

nguyendanhkhoa
    ★★★★ Added by nguyendanhkhoa 03 Oct, 2017
    This is a movie that I can relate to as a student studied in a South East Asian country.
    The character development is great for both main characters: Lynn and Bank.
    The movie gives me thrills when they are doing something dangerous, keeping me on the edge of my seat!

I really enjoyed this movie!

Brahski
    ★★★★½ Watched by Brahski 28 Sep, 2017
    ****ing intense! Had me on the edge of my seat over there being two sets of tests. ****ing hear palpitations over texting fast enough. Jeez.

(Half a star docked for the ending. It just felt like they were trying to teach me something, and I do NOT appreciate that!)

Shannon Hubbell
    Watched by Shannon Hubbell 22 Sep, 2017
    This film has apparently been a gigantic hit throughout Asia, and it’s not hard to see why. Starting off as a straight-forward teen dramedy, it follows academic overachiever (aka “genius”) Lynn as she transfers to an expensive high school on scholarship. After she turns softy and helps her new best buddy with cheating on an exam, she accidentally stumbles into a lucrative business: helping half of her absurdly rich classmates cheat on theirs. As Lynn’s schemes become more complicated, the film transforms into a straight up heist picture. It’s funny and exciting and, while it could use trimming down, it’s undoubtedly the most nail-biting Scantron-centric movie you’ll ever see.

William Lindus
    ★★★★ Watched by William Lindus 28 Sep, 2017
    Fantastic Fest 2017

A group of Thai students, lead by a super genius, plan a heist to make a ton of money helping other students cheat on their college entrance exams in 'Bad Genius.' This flick is soooo much fun. It plays out like a typical heist film, but with a very different 'prize' and a lead who feels more developed than most heist film protagonists. This movie is a freaking

Josh
    ★★★★ Watched by Josh 28 Sep, 2017
    Fantastic Fest 2017 film #42:

Exhilarating and way way better then the plot synopsis would lead you to believe. Up there with the best caper movies you'll ever see and definitely one of the most exciting ones this year.

Josh
    ★★★★ Watched by Josh 28 Sep, 2017
    Fantastic Fest 2017 film #42:

Exhilarating and way way better then the plot synopsis would lead you to believe. Up there with the best caper movies you'll ever see and definitely one of the most exciting ones this year.

Joey Lewandowski
    ★★★★½ Watched by Joey Lewandowski 28 Sep, 2017
    I was more tense watching this test-taking movie than I ever was taking any test in my life. It's almost unimaginable how good this movie is when you hear what it's about.

Khun Lay
    ★★★★½ Watched by Khun Lay 24 Sep, 2017
    One of the best films of 2017. Bad Genius is brilliant.

Stevie Wong
    ★★★★ Watched by Stevie Wong 24 Sep, 2017
    Thailands biggest film of the year is a taut and fun commercial film on standardized test cheating (no really!) With a solid young cast led by the captivating Chutimon Chuengcharoensukying, the fun film succeeds in being perfectly edited leading up to a climatic sequence that has the elements of a heist film. Trust me this is a good one!

SlasherReviews
    ★★★★½ Watched by SlasherReviews 23 Sep, 2017
    BAD GENUS is Thailand's answer to THE SOCIAL NETWORK.

A brilliant heist thriller from Thailand about cheating and trying to make profit on standardize tests. If you thought taking a test was scary then just wait till you see BAD GENIUS. There wasn't a single person who wasn't fully gripping to their seats during this. This is easily one of my favorites (maybe even my favorite) of Fantastic Fest so far. It's extremely smart and keeps itself one step ahead of the audience making it extremely unpredictable. The acting is terrific and the pacing is razor sharp and that's terrific for a film that clocks in at 130 minutes. A BLAST.

dawnkeetley
    ★★★★ Watched by dawnkeetley 22 Sep, 2017
    Brilliant film. Riveting. Amazing performances by the leads. About a cheating ring in Thailand that addresses profound class differences.

Kevin79
    ★★★★½ Watched by Kevin79 22 Sep, 2017
    You'll struggle to discover a more relentlessly entertaining movie this year.

Jay @ FF2017
    ★★★★½ Watched by Jay @ FF2017 22 Sep, 2017 2
    FF2017 Day 2 - Movie 1: BAD GENIUS lives up to the hype. Totally my jam. Love it and this young cast. Terrific score that punctuates the action. Also best Thai university exam heist thriller since Ong Bak.

Kevin Levine
    ★★★★½ Watched by Kevin Levine 22 Sep, 2017
    Fantastic Fest film #3!

BAD GENIUS is an educational thriller from Thailand about standardized testing. Yes, you read that right. More specifically it’s about an Ocean’s 11 level plan to cheat on standardized tests. As a professional educator, I LOVE THIS MOVIE!

Bad Genius is, without a doubt, one of the most stressful and anxiety-inducing films I’ve ever seen. I came close to a heart attack multiple times and almost forgot to breathe. Honestly, this film is brilliant in every aspect. The only reason I’m not giving it 5 stars is because it caused me too much stress haha!

Timothy Evans
    ★★★★ Watched by Timothy Evans 20 Sep, 2017
    LFF #5

Supply, demand and market value made sexy and hip. A stylistic triumph of mischievous visual verve, energetically confident editorial construction and consistently audacious narrative stakes.

The often giddy rush of exhilarating filmmaking gets us so caught up in the thrill of watching four misguided students revenging themselves on the avaristic academia that corrupted them, that just like them, we find ourselves pushing the obvious moral and ethical violations of their entrance exam cheating operation to the back of our minds, instead cheering on their ambition and brains in beating the system.

With strong tonal and musical reverberations of The Social Network in its sleek design, Bad Genius does end up being a lot more conscience-stricken than the antihero of that film and unlike Mark Zuckerberg, all four of the main characters are extremely likable, as well as charismatic. It's the kind of cast a grade-A '90s teen flick would kill for, and as the smartest woman on campus, Chutimon Chuengcharoensukying gives a star-making performance.

Kristina Winters
    ★★★★½ Watched by Kristina Winters 30 Jun, 2017
    NYAFF JURY AWARD BEST FEATURE: BAD GENIUS

Re-envisions the heist movie with grades instead of gold. Proves commercial films can still be innovative and reminds us why we love movies. With a complex plot, relentless pacing, driven editing, and strong performances that resonate across generations and cultures, it makes test-taking exciting and had us on the edge of our seats.
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/culture/2017-10/13/content_33203489.htm

Thai movie 'Bad Genius' hits Chinese screens

chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2017-10-13 14:04
    The Thai movie Bad Genius hit the screens in China on Oct 13. [Photo/Xinhua]

Thai movie Bad Genius was officially screened in China today. The production team also released several posters and materials behind the scene on the same day.

Bad Genius's performance at box office on the first day was very good. It is expected to raise another film frenzy after Golden Week national holiday. Before the first show in Chinese mainland, the film was shown in Thailand, China's Hong Kong and Taiwan with no negative feedback.

After topping the annual box office in Thailand, the film has set a new record by Thai films in Taiwan and topped the box office for two consecutive weeks in Hong Kong. It has also got good ratings on major film review websites, such as 100 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, 8.3 points on IMDb and 8.5 points on China's douban. The movie has been called "a must-see film in October" by internet users and film critics.

Bad Genius, which is based on a sensational cheating case of 2014, tells a story of how talented people exploit their skills to help others cheat in exams and get high profits.

The film's theme and conception together with social and educational issues are presented in a totally new way. Some audiences even said that the film was better than any Hollywood film they had ever seen.
    http://english.entgroup.cn/boxoffice/cn/daily/

China box office "Bad Genius" has got 112 million RMB(17 M USD) within 3 days? It has created the highest records for Thai movies in HK,TW,CN.Msia,vn

[img-custom_width=200]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DML9lUiVoAA3Gdf.jpg[/img-custom_width]
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/happy-death-day-scares-off-blade-runner-at-box-office/2017/10/15/454ca480-b1e0-11e7-9b93-b97043e57a22_story.html?utm_term=.5aa2bb1ee4ed

http://www.publicnow.com/view/8B2A55429796EBE203DE6EA81E07AA3D610CA725?2017-10-15-21%3A30%3A08%2001%3A00-xxx9545

The top 12 worldwide weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, October 15, are below.

1. Blade Runner 2049 - Sony - $44.4M
    2. Happy Death Day - Universal - $31.5M
    3. Never Say Die - Multiple - $30.0M
    4. Kingsman: The Golden Circle - 20th Century Fox - $20.9M
    5. Foreigner, The - Multiple - $18.0M
    6. Bad Genius - Multiple - $16.9M
    7. It - Warner Bros. - $16.4M
    8. Lego Ninjago Movie, The - Warner Bros. - $13.8M
    9. Mountain Between Us, The - 20th Century Fox - $9.8M
    10. Geostorm - Warner Bros. - $9.1M
    11. Snowman, The - Universal - $9.0M
    12. My Little Pony: The Movie - Lionsgate - $8.9M

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at international theaters (excluding the U.S. and Canada), according to comScore:

1. “Never Say Die,” $30 million.

2. “Blade Runner 2049,” $29.3 million.

3. “Bad Genius,” $16.9 million.

4. “Kingsman: The Golden Circle,” $15.6 million.

5. “It,” $10.4 million.

6. “The Lego Ninjago Movie,” $9.5 million.

7. “Geostorm,” $9.1 million.

8. “The Snowman,” $9 million.

9. “The Outlaws,” $8.3 million.

10. “Chasing the Dragon,” $7.7 million.
    In Focus: 5 Things To Watch Out For In The Thai Blockbuster Film 'Bad Genius'

Oct 16, 2017 05:00 PM

Chalk Magazine
    Share: facebooktwitterpintumblremailprintplus close
    SAVE

By Crisyl Ursabia
    Chalk Campus Correspondent

Asia’s biggest international movie hit Bad Genius is finally hitting Philippine cinemas! Bad Genius is a Thai film inspired by true events about an exam-cheating business led by Lynn, a straight-A student. Lynn and her friends devised a plan to leak the STIC exam answers for their schoolmates from whom they collected millions of money. Whether their plan will work or not is something the viewers will be very excited to find out.

This film has received critical and commercial success during their screenings in different film festivals around the globe. Bad Genius is the first Southeast Asian film that won Best Feature in the 16th New York Asian Film Festival. The film also won Best Film, Best Director, Best Asian Feature Film, and Best Innovative Feature Film at the Fantasia International Film Festival. On top of all that, it is hailed as the #1 highest grossing Asian film in Taiwan, Cambodia, Hong Kong, and Malaysia.

And as if the plot and these achievements aren't enough to convince you, here are a few more things to look forward to!

1. Relatability

The characters in the movie are not someone we’re not. Since the events and characters are based on a true story, they’re not too good to be true. At some point in our lives, we have been like them—selfish, greedy, and dishonest. But just like in the movie, this way of thinking comes with a lot of consequences, and we have to face it, not run from it.

2. Thrill and action

Aside from the mentioned awards above, Fantastic Fest just recently announced that Bad Genius won this year’s Best Thriller Feature. The movie isn’t just all about cheating. It has a lot of action-packed scenes that will make you cover your eyes and be on the edge of your seats.

3. The value of family and friends

The movie has its subtle but sincere way of reminding its viewers the value of family and friends. It may not be the primary lesson the film tries to send across, but you'll appreciate how the film incorporates the importance of honesty when we're dealing with our loved ones.

4. Life lessons

From the trailer, we saw how Lynn, Bank, Grace, and Pat tried to make a huge business out of the STIC exam through cheating. In hindsight, the movie teaches us that all forms of cheating are wrong and honesty is still the best policy. But there's more to the movie in terms of the life lessons it tries to impart to its audience. This is why the movie has garnered positive reviews not only from the student community but also from different award-giving bodies.

5. The thrilling ending

We can't stress enough how you should brace yourself for the twist at the end of the film. It's unpredictable, unexpected, and very realistic. During the movie premiere, no one left to go to the comfort room in the whole duration of the movie. We were all glued to our seats waiting for what will happen next especially towards the end.

Don't miss this chance to watch Bad Genius! It will be shown in Philippine cinemas starting this October 18.

For more info, you may visit https://www.facebook.com/badgeniusmovieph or follow [#]BadGeniusMoviePH[/#]. Everyone is also encouraged to use the hashtag when posting on their social media accounts!

http://lifestyle.abs-cbn.com/articles/5699/in-focus-5-things-to-watch-out-for-in-the-thai-blockbuster-film-bad-genius/
    'Bad Genius' Q&A | NYAFF17

what is your rating on bad genius. if you watched already

22552880_1099139663550929_2944875852040442698_n.jpg?oh=34c7fe15f089e16fc46a55a0f3592d98&oe=5A3CB3A8

22310616_1099139676884261_2598968941701405325_n.jpg?oh=48a8334438d5e1a3fcece62de4e32063&oe=5A75542D

22519540_1099139703550925_1512369162258160691_n.jpg?oh=c3c950213f35bb1fc65d0bb5bd3d2174&oe=5A7348A3
  • dj_sensuidj_sensui PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Ang ganda ng movie na to.
    No dull moments.
  • I enjoyed this film a lot.

Eto yung Pelikulang never magagawa ng Pilipinas esp. with the cheap Pinoy teens
    Thailand's Bad Genius, earned $7.6 million in second weekend, its total to $32.9 million. on china box office

it's global total 42.35 M USD (Excluding phil msia vn s-pore indo-sia cambo )

The top 12 worldwide weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, October 22, are below.

1.Kingsman: The Golden Circle - 20th Century Fox - $51.7M
    2.Geostorm - Warner Bros. - $49.7M
    3.Tyler Perry's Boo 2! A Madea Halloween - Lionsgate - $21.6M
    4.Blade Runner 2049 - Sony - $21.5M
    5.It - Warner Bros. - $16.3M
    6.Happy Death Day - Universal - $15.9M
    7.Never Say Die - Multiple - $15.0M
    8.Snowman, The - Universal - $10.0M
    9.Foreigner, The - STX Entertainment - $8.2M
    10.Bad Genius - Multiple - $7.6M
    11.Lego Ninjago Movie, The - Warner Bros. - $6.8M
    12.Outlaws, The - Megabox - $6.8M

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/comscore-announces-official-worldwide-box-office-results-for-weekend-of-october-22-2017-300540932.html
    Thai teen flick Bad Genius wows critics in China

Bad Genius has become the highest-grossing Thailand film in China of all time.

20171023-badgenius.jpg?itok=obet-zDd

PHOTO: China Daily/Asia News Network
    XU FAN
    CHINA DAILY/ASIA NEWS NETWORK Oct 23, 2017
    FacebookTwitterGoogle+Email

With its box office mounting to 170 million yuan (S$34.9 million) in its opening week, Bad Genius has just risen to become the highest-grossing Thai movie in China of all time.

Directed by the 1981-born filmmaker Nattawut Poonpiriya, the movie revolves around two straight-A students, who plan to cheat in an international exam to make money and find their lives altered immeasurably by the mistakes they make.

The movie opened on the Chinese mainland on Oct 13 and has so far been awarded 8.3 out of 10 by film review site Douban.com, a barometer of popularity.

As well as proving a hit with Chinese netizens, local movie critics also lavished praise on the Thai production.

Zhang Boqing of Beijing-based research group Online Film Market, and honorary chairman of the China Film Critics Association, says the movie also explored social concerns as well as entertaining viewers.

He says the movie reflected the growing imbalance between rich and poor, and the unfair allocation of educational resources.

Rao Shuguang, secretary-general of the China Film Association, says the most alluring aspect of the film for him was the twisting storyline, which elevates the coming-of-age tale into a stylish crime thriller.

"The characters are also very impressive. Chinese filmmakers could learn a thing or two from their foreign counterparts," says Rao.

http://www.asiaone.com/entertainment/thai-teen-flick-bad-genius-wows-critics-china
    Thailand movie ‘Bad Genius’ wins big in China

Source:Global Times Published: 2017/10/23 17:53:39

0b4d1575-9823-4e80-943c-66e3810729ae.jpeg

Actress Chutimon Chuengcharoensukying (center) and actor Chanon Santinatornkul (right) Photo: IC

Currently the highest-earning Thailand-produced film in China, Bad Genius has brought in more than 221 million yuan ($33.3 million) after only 11 days in the Chinese mainland, the world's second largest movie market, according to the box-office site cbooo.cn on Monday.

The previous highest-earning Thai film was The Protector 2, which earned 11.5 million yuan at the mainland box office in 2014.

The film's success in the mainland was even greater than in its home market, where it earned $3.29 million.

This has led many Chinese movie critics and film industry analysts to predict that Bad Genius may follow in the footsteps of Aamir Khan's successful Indian sports film Dangal, which earned nearly 1.3 billion yuan in the mainland to become the highest-earning Indian film in China.

Dangal's earnings in China also outpaced the $77 million it earned in India.

In addition to its impressive box-office take, the film has also earned itself a good reputation by winning the hearts of Chinese audiences. The film currently has an 8.3 out of 10 on Chinese movie sites Douban and Mtime.

The story follows Lynn, a poor but genius high school student who makes a living by helping students from rich families cheat on tests.

She and her classmates are hired to take the international STIC (SAT) exam in Sydney, Australia, and send the answers back to Thailand where the exam is set to take place hours later.

The scenes where the students cheat on the test and pass answers to each other are shot similar to a spy movie, a style choice that has captured the interest of Chinese audiences, many of whom have memories of taking dozens of exams during high school including the crucial gaokao, the national college entrance examinations.

In the hopes of promoting the film's continued success, three of the film's main cast members, actor Teeradon Supapunpinyo, model and actress Chutimon Chuengcharoensukying and actor Chanon Santinatornkul attended a promotional event in Beijing on Saturday.

Chutimon Chuengcharoensukying said she was nervous about acting in the film, as it was her first film. Fortunately, she was able to pull through with the help of her friends. She also revealed that while acting may be a focus for her in the future, she will not be giving up her modeling career.

Newspaper headline: ‘Bad Genius’ wins big in China

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1071552.shtml
    i gave rating this movie 7.5 / 10

1.entertain and thrilling 10
    2. Even a little plot but efficiency 9
    3. acting 8
    4. the scene for ending 6
    5. total all 7.5