Home PEx Lifestyle Home and Garden
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

Tips in construction planning

As they say, "Quality is never Cheap", but you can always meet halfway. In planning a construction, bear the following in mind:

1. Budget

2. Functionality
You must know the house functionality that you want, i.e. do you love to cook? You can emphasize the manner you want to build your kitchen based on your personal operation. Same goes with other areas of the house.

3. Family size.
Your budget depends on it at times. i.e. how many rooms do you require? Aircon. Units you need? Toilet & bath (t&b) you need? Because in the guide of basic costing, when you say basic liveable finish, you'll only be provided with 1 or 2 rooms, 1 T & B, 1 living room, 4ft. Long kitchen top without cabinets, dining room, no garage, no bedroom cabinets.

4. Consider the location.
Based on our experience as a contractor, Every city or municipality has different process in terms of taxing, permits approval costing etc. Ex. You have 2M for construction, does it already include your budget for documentations (lay-out, blue prints & permits) plus actual construction cost? You must always be clear with your contractor, don't get intimidated with what you do not know vs. What they know? Ask them to inform you well & learn from them.

5. Compare Contractors.
You can compare contractors of course, but you must consider the following:
A. Years of experience
B. Portfolio
C. Sincerity during the first meeting. (Yes, You can discern it.)
D. Logistics.
Tools & power tools they have, company owned service vehicles, etc. Why check on these? Because all these aid construction. Some can bid for lower prices & win the project, but can take you much time to build your project because they don't have these logistical support.
E. Commitment.
Is your contractor fully commited in doing your project for a lower cost and deliver results you agreed upon or he just got the project because he wants the money out of the project?
F. String of projects your contractors have in the list is not always a security on your part.
Why? Some (not all) are doing the "tapal system". Be aggressive enough to know about this, I've known licensed Architects & Engrs. drowned with this problem. It means agreeing on a low cost budget with you, but will just use a part of your budget to pay for their debts from the previous project, worse, use your budget to finish "other current project". In the end, will not deliver what you have agreed upon and ask you to add some amount because of budget shortage (contract plays an important role on this part). At this point you're going to hear "naloko kami ng contractor".
G. Per square costing does not work at all times.
Be interested when your contractor is up for detailed costing. With this, you're going to pay for what you really want and need.
H. Ask for a list of inclusions and exclusions in your project, apart from bill of materials (because it's too technical for a lay-man). i.e. type & size of tiles to be used, brands of materials, no. of air-con. outlets you need, does it include window grilles etc.
I. Sign a contract.
It will provide protection in both ways.

After all, you should be the happiest person after the commencement of your project.

Always remember that "The most successful project is having a happy client".

'Til next time. I hope I helped you in good ways I can.

Please visit our website: designeers.weebly.com

Comments

• Thanks for the information, it will surely help a lot of peoples here.
  • Thanks to these tips. Affordability is my main priority but I have found a company that offers both quality and affordability, FCSI or Flexicore Construction excels in many ways, i can say that after trying several contractors in the country as well.
  • Aldrin16Aldrin16 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    thanks much sa nag post nito, laki help nito...papagawa na kasi ako after 2-5 months =)