Home PEx Campus The Academe

Masters in Public Health

Sino po nagMPH dito or magMPH pa lang?
Pwede po ba pahingi ng insights? :))) Plan ko po kasi mag MPH in UPM. Mahirap po ba makapasok?
Thank you po!!

Comments

• ach_chooach_choo PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I have a friend who took BS PH at UP Manila. His experience: PH is an excellent course. Heavy on research and deterministic analysis (at least 20 units of tough chemistry subjects.) It's also a very lucrative course as research grants and projects are always being offered; by the Government, the private sector, and by foreign bodies.

The problem: PH majors at UPM are second-class citizens even in their own school (this was way back, I'm not sure now.) Research grants always favored MD's, even over those with Masters in PH degrees.

So my friend left in disgust, and took medicine. After he graduated and passed the board, he want back to take his masters. I guess he wanted to settle a score. While he was taking medicine, I always greeted him: "'Musta ang first-class citizen?"

Tivia: the late senator Juan M. Flavier was an MD and MPH, both at UP.
  • Thank you! Plan ko talaga mas masters kaso nalilito pa ako. I was planning if mag medicine na lang din muna ako then masters. Sabi kasi nila mahirap daw yung masters? plan ko sana itake *** Comprehensive Exam ng MPH. Kaso baka strict sila sa pagpili ng students.
  • ach_chooach_choo PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Ermmmm... better to take medicine? Take after my friend. Once you become a doctor, you can take any other course. Another friend of mine took law after nearly 20 years of working as a surgeon at St. Lukes. Now he's a trial lawyer but still practicing medicine.
  • Oh :O Wow!
    Pero hindi po ba magandang plan yung medicine then masters?
  • extranjeroextranjero PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Medicine... then MPH is actually the usual route. I don't know anyone who did it the other way around. Maybe perhaps, getting MPH already gives you access to job offers requiring public health degree...

If you really are into public health, then you could perhaps take PhD after your masters. The landscape of research in the Philippines is currently changing right now. For now, MDs are really getting the most research grants... kasi kulang ang PhDs. Pero lumalaki na rin ang demand for PhD... and perhaps, in the future, may demand na for PhD than MDs in research. And with PhD, you can work abroad, or do collaborative work with other people abroad din.

I'm not saying you cannot do collaborative work abroad with MD. You can. Pero super daming MD sa Pilipinas, so getting a PhD will set you apart.

Good luck! Public health is a rewarding career!

(And with regards to second class citizens, medyo true yun. Lahat ng alumni ng College of Public Health, alumni din ng College of Medicine. Pero mas nagdodonate sila sa College of Medicine... )
  • Grabe. Thank you po sa info!!!! 😀
    Based on your own experience po ba to?