How do you define Minimalism?

sushihunk26sushihunk26 Rendezvous ✭✭✭
Minimalism is not focused on material things, clutter-free lifestyle. Well, here are a few things to consider:

1. If you are trying to pay your debts, then you might be a minimalist.

2. If your needs are more than what you want, then you might be a minimalist.

3. If you prefer to use a bike than a car, then you might be a minimalist.

4. If you're trying to have less than 100 things in the apartment, then you might be a minimalist.

5. If you don't talk about getting rich all the time, then you might be a minimalist.

6. If you stick with your ancient mobile phone, then you might be a minimalist.

7. If earning more is a plan because charity work interests you in the near future, then you might be a minimalist.

8. If you're satisfied with just one girlfriend or boyfriend, then you might be a minimalist.

What is minimalism to you?

Comments

• MahoneMahone Member ✭✭
    Nice. It could be. You can join our group for more discussion.

Lets support the movement of Minimalism in the Philippines and join our group:www.facebook.com/groups/MINIMALISTA01/
  • gotta lick itgotta lick it Member ✭✭✭
    are a minimalist, if you are a nudist?
  • F-A SoldierF-A Soldier Your Personal Jesus
    My problem with general people's 'understanding' of minimalism is that it's so...shallow.

They use 'numbers' to quantify 'minimalism'. That's at least sorta accurate. But worse is stuff like these (I got this from the other PEX threads about minimalism before): "I like minimalist architecture/interior design, I pass for minimalism". :glee: When inside their houses it's cluttered to the brim with clothes and BS. :glee:

Also minimalism shouldn't have anything to do with suffering (ie asceticism like monks)...wherein they purposely punish themselves. Languishing IMHO = no purpose. Unless you're Jesus, suffering on the cross have little purpose. :glee:

I hate to dictate other people how other should see philosophy, but come on folks think about how shallow these definitions are.

It shouldn't be a fashion style (totally opposite, because if you dress something on the outside to broadcast to people what you are, when you're really not practicing it on anything else, you're a fcking fake), it's not a religion (that there's a set ritual and dogmas we all have to follow) etc...

Minimalism is a lifestyle outlook.

IMHO it only has a few general rules:

1. Being deliberate how you think, act, and live your life.
    2. You make your values align with your actions.
    3. You set priorities.

It might not sound 'minimalistic', but let me explain.

If you really think about (constantly, because your priorities might change depending on a given situation) why you keep buying the things you buy, keeping the things you have, spending time with people you do...if you are deliberate you would easily fill in the gaps, no more no less.

Sabi mo minimalist ka, bili ka (inutang mo pa) mga drones, ginamit mo lang isang beses para magyabang...tapos end up sa closet mo lang yon after a week. Not only did you waste money on that drone you never use, naubos pa pera mo with interest :glee:

If you do the things you say are important to you, you will not acquire more or use more time than you ought to. You will always mirror good amount of effort to reflect your necessity. You would use the fck out of things until they reach maximum use and then you discard it (not just throw it away, but put it ie give it to someone who can use it more/better).

Setting priorities, what is really is important to you vs. your perception of it as such. Do you spend more time doing things that aren't important in the long run vs. those things you neglect today that might be? Do you spend more time and energy trying to impress people that don't really matter to you in the long run?

Dave Ramsey's famous quote: "...we buy things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people we don't like..."

In short: minimalism isn't about numbers. It isn't even about what you have. Not because it's about quantity but because it's about quality. It's different for each individual (some might need more, some less).

The best measurement of you're really a minimalist, is not how many things you have, it is that you gave thought about the true value of everything you have, the actions that you do, and dreams you aspire. Once you really think about these, things like 'buying less', 'getting rid of things', 'making more time for important stuff' will come in place.

Don't just measure the quantity, truly measure the quality of what you have first, the true value it brings to your life, and how it can get you to the important goals in life.

:glee:

[#]LovePeopleUseThings[/#] [#]OppositeDontWork[/#]
  • eto ba yung plain & simple?
  • Para sa akin iyong minimalism ay paraan ng pamumuhay kung saan pag-aari ko lang ang mga gamit na aking kailangan.

Kundi ko na kailangan, maaaring:

1. Ibenta
    2. Ipamigay
    3. Itapon

Nang sa ganoon mapakinabangan ng iba at mabawasan ang kalat sa aking buhay! Isa pang lamang ng minimalism ay MAS MATIPID at MENOS GASTOS!
  • scout_yellowscout_yellow Sing! ✭✭✭
    A simple life. Living within your means. Something like that.
  • vicmesarvicmesar Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, minimalism as
    A WAY OF LIFE (lifestyle)
    and
    A TASTE (food, clothings, )

as a WAY OF LIFE:
    I don't treat things with complications.
    I am a trusting person,
    not suspicious
    Hence, I avoid
    talkative people
    cunny
    proud people

AS A TASTE:
    I avoid mixtures like coffee and milk
    (either milk or coffee lang. I want to enjoy
    the taste of one thing in its pure sense);

Fruit juices - I just add ice and/or water (no sugar)

Hot pandesal -freshly baked. i don't need any palaman

I hate food with so many ingredients like kare kare

I avoid sugar - sugar enhances the taste, hence, coffee with sugar taste so different

COLORS - one color at a time; plaint color T-shirt (white or blue but not, blue and white etc.)

PRINTED/LOGO SHIRTS - the smaller the print the better

as to expenses - magastos ako because I always seek the NATURAL INGREDIENTS - pure state ika nga - thus, mas mahal kesa sa may mga halo, e.g., honey bee (mahal pag pure), sabon (i go vegetable oil soap) and the likes
  • JameauxJameaux Half-man half-magician ✭✭✭
    Buying Muji stuff. :lol:
  • J05J05 Don't matter ✭✭
    Hi TS, it was good thread.

In my own opinion as now i'm on my own single life journey.

Thinking Minimal inside and outside:

1. Being frugal,
    2. Living in simple life
    3. Free from financial burdens
    4. Free from "mental stress"
    5. Focus on Health, Family and why not strengthen the relationship with gal friends :)
  • ramblerrambler I wait for You, my Savior. ✭✭✭
    In the Christian context, minimalism means living simply. You may earn much but still you live simply, at ang extra na kinikita mo ay imbes na gastusin sa pansariling kagustuhan, gagamitin mo to help others, help the church, help propagate the gospel. ;)
  • winterfell2013winterfell2013 Member ✭✭
    Minimalism is freedom  :)
  • alchemistofophiralchemistofophir Christian Communist ✭✭✭
    minimalism = poverty. yung mga poor ang mga tunay na minimalist. kayo, wannabes.
  • minimalism = poverty. yung mga poor ang mga tunay na minimalist. kayo, wannabes.
    MALI. Walang kinalaman sa kahirapan ang minimalism!
  • HermesTrismegistusHermesTrismegistus III ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    tama si alchemistofophir.
  • tama si alchemistofophir.
    FACT CHECK: Maraming mahihirap na may sakit na HOARDING!
  • gladyskawaiigladyskawaii Dreamer ✭✭✭
    minimalism = poverty. yung mga poor ang mga tunay na minimalist. kayo, wannabes.
    Minimalism is like living in basics. Poor people don’t even have the basic things that they need
  • JameauxJameaux Half-man half-magician ✭✭✭
    May bagong trend ngayon dahil sa Netflix yung Marie Kondo aka KonMari method. :lol:

Although di naman sya talaga minimalist but about tidying up.

#SparkJoy
  • Kent_210Kent_210 Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24
    I'm now a fan of Marie Kondo. I thought minimalism is hard if you have plenty of kids pero some the couples helped by Marie Kondo were couple with kids din naman, so it could work pa din pala.

Pero kasi, it requires to buy furniture and stuff which i understand. Pero sa case kasi namin we don't wanna buy bulky furniture since there's uncertainty pa about our residency status here.
  • gooseberrygooseberry very loosey 🐯 Tiger Squad🥈
    I'm a skeptic and I have lots of questions. Being a minimalist does a lot of great things. 
  • pong_padourpong_padour Member ✭✭✭
    I don't like clutter in my house. I just buy the stuff I need. Ayoko nung maraming abubot na nakadisplay kahit sa sasakyan. I also don't hoard stuff and just keep them in my stock room.
    I'm not a minimalist when it comes to clothes, perfumes, shoes and gadgets. I just keep everything tidy and organized. Almost all of my things still look brand new, scratch and dent free.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file