Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature

Graphic Novel/Manga

F-A SoldierF-A Soldier PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
I think PEX erased my old thread. Here's a new one.

List favorite graphic novels (good story + art) or manga.

5581037-21.jpg
Vagabond (Inoue) - historical fiction story of Musashi Miyamoto's life and journey (also Kojiro Sasaki). Gory + distinct Japanese style despite trying to curb the anime feels with more realistic art style, retains sparse horny Japanese nerdy men easter eggs (like t!ts and azzes here and there).

28261.jpg

Elfquest (Pinis) it's like fantasy with kinda cutesy drawings...but the storyline is serious ASF. I read parts of it when I was younger, I bought it as reprinted in a giant volume by Dark Horse (worth it).

2-LOBO.jpg

Lone Wolf and Cub (Koike/Kojima)---it's like if Akira Kurosawa + Frank Miller + 1970's kungfu movie writers, created a graphic novel this would be it.

Akira_Volume_1_Cover_Japanese_Version_%28Manga%29.jpg

Akira (Otomo) Need I say more? One of the best cyberpunk stories ever told ie if Blade Runner had a Japanese bastard son + Cowboy Beebop's real cool brother :glee: Art is straight up 80's avant punk + science fiction.

TheAutumnlands_Vol1-1.png

Autumnlands (Busiek)- still ongoing so...gotta wait for more volumes. Storyline essentially: World of humanoid animals + slavery + catastrophic event + Moses leading the exodus to promised land (complete with author's obvious slight sarcasm similar to narrator in the Bible as if asking "Do these mothafacks really deserve to be saved?" a commentary on modern society) + Main character that goes something like Denver The Last Dinosaur (or if Encino Man + Jesus + Ser Gregor Clegane + Vegeta was put in a blender and summoned by magic) on crack or super saiyan mode over 5000 = fantasy world with scifi feels.

fist-of-the-north-star-1007019.jpg

Fist of the Northstar (Buronson/Hara)- Imagine Japanesey Mad Max protagonist (if Mad Max + Ryu from Street Fighter + Bruce Lee)+ post apocalyptic dystopia (The Road + Mad Max) + 1970's gung fu movies + Dragong Ball Z speed fighting + revenge story + gore galore + violent sexual sadistic themes and scenes.

:blowsmoke:

[#]DarkHorseComics[/#]

Comments

• gotta lick itgotta lick it PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    honestly, manga ............ you know how to read niphongo?
  • F-A SoldierF-A Soldier PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    No. Matagal nang translated to English. As you can see Lone Wolf and Cub at the bottom it says "Dark Horse Comics" because they published it here in English (founded by Frank Miller and the publisher of 300, Hellboy, Sin City, etc)

The first item I ever sold for profit online was special edition of the Fist of the Northstar, right now I have 4 different manga series I'm about to ship to sell online. :glee:

Most US bookstores siguro since beginning of early 2000 at least may isang row ng manga (of course in English).

Manga_at_Barnes__Noble_Colma.jpg

Two or three sometimes, and at least one or two of American/international graphic novels aisles.

Sa mga US public libraries marami na din.

Dami daming mangas translated to English, even when I was kid in the PI, meron na.

:glee:

[#]Mangoes[/#]
  • silvereyedwitchsilvereyedwitch PEx Rookie ⭐
    Recommended local comic books/graphic novels:
    • After Eden - Arnold Arre
    • Mythology Class - Arnold Arre
    • Trese series - Budjette Tan & Kajo Baldissimo
    • Tabi Po series - Mervin Malonzo