ALAB PILIPINAS - The Jimmy Alapag Era

KevinDurantKevinDurant Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2018 in PBA
Winner in every level he’s been in, Jimmy Alapag will take that champion mentality as the head coach of Alab Pilipinas this upcoming 2018 ASEAN Basketball League season.

The 39-year-old legend has taken over the lead mentor job while Mac Cuan slides into the role of assistant for Alab’s second season.

“It has a new ring to it. It’s really an exciting opportunity and I’m just really thankful for Alab for bringing me on,” said Alapag on Saturday when Alab Pilipinas made his signing official.

Bagong laban, bagong [#]pALABan[/#]! ALAB PILIPINAS welcomes new Head Coach JIMMY “The Mighty Mouse” ALAPAG! 🔥🔥🔥 Official signing in a bit! pic.twitter.com/zwGWzxn8DZ

— Alab Pilipinas (@AlabPilipinas) August 12, 2017
This will be a brand new challenge for Alapag, who previously worked as an assistant coach for Gilas Pilipinas and Meralco Bolts.

But the 2011 PBA Most Valuable Player is no stranger to being the captain, leading TNT to six championships while also being a key figure in the national team.

“We signed Jimmy because we know he can help transform the team. He has been helping lots of young players about good work ethic. That’s what he’ll bring to the team. We’re very happy that he’ll finally be a head coach,” said team owner Charlie Dy.

Alapag shared that he’s excited to embark on this new chapter and he hopes to pass forward the lessons he’s learned from his past mentors.

“I’ve been very, very fortunate in my career to play for different coaches – coach Chot (Reyes), coach Norman (Black), coach Derrick (Pumaren), even coach Tim (Cone) when he was helping Gilas. We’re talking about some Hall of Fame-level coaches. I’d like to get bits and pieces from those guys. I wanna encourage our guys to come in and get ready to work,” he said.

Alapag said the team won’t settle for anything less this coming season after Alab finished third in the ABL last year.

“I think going into second season, the goal is to compete for the championship. Last year, they were really close to being in the Finals. Hopefully this season, we’ll get there and bring the first championship for Alab,” he said.

Alapag will have Cuan and Paolo Rivero in his coaching staff.

As for the players, Dy said that the management is working doubly hard to bring back 2017 ABL Local MVP Bobby Ray Parks and national team guard Kiefer Ravena.

“We’re trying to keep Ray and Kiefer, definitely. People will just have to wait for the next two weeks,” the team executive said.

Comments

• KevinDurantKevinDurant Member ✭✭✭
    Alab Pilipinas has a new head coach in Jimmy Alapag. And according to the article the team will try to keep both Ravena and Parks.

This is interesting news. We all know Jimmy Alapag is an MVP-guy. And both Kief and BRP who both plays for Gilas are about to enter the PBA and we all know MVP wants them on his teams.

This is a twist actually. ;)
    Parks just signed an extension to play for ALAB PILIPINAS in its upcoming season.
    Controversial Ivan Johnson tapped as Alab Pilipinas import

Controversial Ivan Johnson tapped as Alab Pilipinas import

Ivan Johnson will again play under former TNT manager and now Alab coach Jimmy Alapag.
    CONTROVERSIAL import Ivan Johnson takes his act to the Asean Basketball League (ABL) as he reinforces Alab Pilipinas in its campaign in the 2017-18 season.

Coach Jimmy Alapag confirmed to SPIN.ph that Johnson is being tapped by Alab after the team made the announcement through its Twitter account @AlabPilipinas.

Alapag was the Katropa team manager when Johnson steered TnT to the 2015 PBA Commissioner's Cup championship, winning over Rain or Shine in seven games.

Former PBA imports Rashad McCants, Ivan Johnson drafted in new pro 3-on-3 league
    The 33-year-old American, who played for two seasons with the Atlanta Hawks, had another tour of duty with the telecommunication franchise the following year, though the stint didn't end up as successful as the first one.

Johnson was banned for a season and fined P150K by commissioner Chito Narvasa for cursing and disrespecting him during a Commissioner's Cup game between TnT and Meralco.

The native of San Antonio, Texas was initially meted a lifetime ban and P250K fine, but was later reduced by Narvasa when Johnson, accompanied by his wife and children, personally went to Narvasa's office and apologized.

Reports gathered by SPIN.ph had TnT considering rehiring Johnson back in the last Commissioner's Cup when his season-long ban had been over, but nothing came out of the plan.

Now, he'll suit up for Alab and get reunited with his former team manager.

Johnson last played with Sagesse in the Lebanese Basketball League.
  • CaptainCharismaCaptainCharisma Moderator PEx Moderator
    lakas nyan si Hellboy, siguro naman mas magiging competitive itong Alab, unacceptable na kayan kayanan lang tayo sa liga na to the past few years
    2 imports allowed. Kukuha pa ata sila ng isa.
  • jbpink87jbpink87 Mailap ang Kinse ✭✭✭
    Interesting din tong abl..
  • brambrambrambram Member PExer
    Lalaro pa ba si Standhardinger sa HK?
    brambram wrote: »
    Lalaro pa ba si Standhardinger sa HK?

Yes. Unless may PBA team na mag buyout ng contract niya.
  • ForThreeeeeeeeeForThreeeeeeeee Member ✭✭✭✭
    si Jeric Teng dpt mag Alab, dun niya kuhain ulit yung confidence niya sa laro. could be a good spark off the bench
    I have a question about abl, one team lang ba to per country? O pwede maramihan?
    Dati pwede multiple entries per country. Binago ata nila yung ruling and became one team per country.

Kasi dati meron tayong Philippine Patriots and San Miguel Beer.

I read in an article that Alab and TNT are eyeing Dondon Hontiveros.
    okay din si Dondon sa Alab!
    Dati pwede multiple entries per country. Binago ata nila yung ruling and became one team per country.

Kasi dati meron tayong Philippine Patriots and San Miguel Beer.

I read in an article that Alab and TNT are eyeing Dondon Hontiveros.

Thanks for answering KD..

It will good for dondon to play for alab..
    Oping Sumalinog. Tapos Ivan Johnson import. Mukhang sosyo si MVP dito. Hehe
    mukha nga KD, sana si Austin kunin as other import.

si Josh Urbiztondo Alab na rin and Paolo Javelona based sa Instagram stories ni BRP,
  • renaissance11renaissance11 for the better ✭✭✭
    sana malakas na import naman kunin, kaya natalo last year ang hihina ng import
    Basically the MVP group is copying what SMC did under Eala. They may not own Alab but maybe there's an agreement. So if a player like BRP seems to be unavailable for them in the draft, they'd have him stay at the ABL and wait for a better position the next draft i.e. Junemar Fajardo . Also they can put some ex pba players who can polish their game then sign them up again once they see improvement.

Let's say ALAB is in the middle of the standings I expect them to lend some more talented PBA players to help the team.
    mukha ngang may support ng MVP group ang Alab. Si Pamboy Raymundo Alab na rin,

in fairness parang magiging mas competitive yung nabuo nila na team this year than last year. Really excited for the coaching debut of Jimmy Alapag (my favorite Filipino baller of all time haha!)
    Alab Pilipinas has added Dondon Hontiveros and Rico Maierhofer on their roster. Pretty solid and exciting lineup.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file