Unpaid Credit Card with BPI - I'm in the US now

Hello I hope someone here can help me.

I was a gold credit card user from BPI, but I had to cut it before I maxed it out (P200,000) since I'll be moving to the US for good.

I believe BPI already sold my account to Admerex 'cause I was not able to pay may minimum amount due for a few months after I quit my job, and for some reason they are now asking me to pay almost P250,000.

I quit my job in the Philippines, and I told Admerex I'll undergo the special payment option, which is to pay P13,000 a month.
I then started working as a freelancer at UpWork earning at least 10,000 per week so I was able to pay the first couple months, however my US visa got approved so I had to quit my work because I had to finalize some paperworks and leave for the US.
Now I'm currently in the US and staying here for good.

The thing is, I'm unable to work unless I get my work permit. Which will take me at least 3 months to process.

I've been emailing BPI/Admerex about what other options I have to pay my balance, even though I really don't know how I'm supposed to pay them given that I won't be able to unless I get a job after a few months.
I've been receiving emails that they will file legal actions against me, but no one's really being helpful and Admerex keeps giving me the same instruction to settle my payment by going to a BPI bank or thru online banking as soon as possible. My BPI account is no use and it might have been closed for all I know. The account I had with them was from my previous job, when I was still working as a manager from a call center company.

Now they are asking me to pay at least half the price (P100,000+) so they won't continue to sue me, but I really don't have any resources at the moment and I really do plan on paying them back. But if they are not willing to work with me, I don't think there's anything I can do for now.

I know I was irresponsible. And I knew I shouldn't have taken that offer when they gave it to me in the first place. I don't even know why they gave me a big limit in the first place. It was my first credit card and I don't think I want to have one again. It's all confusing to me. But again, I really do plan on paying my balance when I get a job here. But that won't be anytime soon, and when I do, I don't know how I can pay them. I don't really have family and friends in the Philippines.. at least anyone I can trust to handle my money.

Will they be able to file a case against me even though I'm in the US and staying here for good?

Thanks.

Comments

• neinsagerneinsager Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    They can, in theory. But they will have to spend a lot more than 250k just to recover that amount. Wala na sa threshold ng small claims ang 250k. And even if it is, good luck na lang sa kanila sa pag-serve sayo ng summons.
  • pinayintheusapinayintheusa Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    neinsager wrote: »
    They can, in theory. But they will have to spend a lot more than 250k just to recover that amount. Wala na sa threshold ng small claims ang 250k. And even if it is, good luck na lang sa kanila sa pag-serve sayo ng summons.

Thanks for the response! I appreciate it.
    What do you think I should do for now? Do I keep sending them emails? It looks like they are not reading it anyways.
  • blaziiingblaziiing Member PEx Expert ⭐⭐⭐⭐
    Wala ka bang kamag-anak sa Philippines or friend that you can ask to pay the amount on your behalf? Padalhan mo na lang?
    blaziiing wrote: »
    Wala ka bang kamag-anak sa Philippines or friend that you can ask to pay the amount on your behalf? Padalhan mo na lang?

I do, but like I said, I have nothing to send until around october or november.
    I get like a $200 allowance every weekend but they are demanding I pay full in the next 3 days.
  • FROZENICEFROZENICE cum and get me PExer
    Ignore them.... but the time you have the money go back to BPI and ask for amnesty to pay your debt minus the ridiculous penalty.
  • Is it true po ba na kapag may unpaid bills ka sa credit card di ka makakaalis ng bansa? Machecheck ba sa airport na may bad record ka pa at di pa nababayarang utang?
    FROZENICE wrote: »
    Ignore them.... but the time you have the money go back to BPI and ask for amnesty to pay your debt minus the ridiculous penalty.

Thank you! Will do this once I have saved up here na and when I get back to the Philippines.
    Some people can afford totally not paying their debt, pero sobrang laki ng halaga kasi yung sakin. So nakokonsensya talaga ako. But then, walang wala rin talaga ako now. :(
  • Hello. I am just curious. Were you able to pay bpi? How much po ang binayaran nyo? Defaulted na din po kc ako for 6mos sa bpi cc ko eh.
  • hsusonhsuson Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    edited August 2018
    Since you are staying in the US for goood. Do a clean start. Change yer email. Ignore mo na yung Admerex. Dont tell them where you are.

Take care of yer new credit history in the US.
  • Hi @pinayintheusa, i came across your post and i’m in a very similiar situation :( any updates po? I’m very interested to hear what happened to your case. I got a demand letter from the collection agency and still don’t know what to do. I’m in the US too and same as you, couldn’t pay my debt yet coz 1 year pa lang po ako dito, just gave birth...want to settle my debt on my own once makahanap ng work dito and don’t want to burden my husband for my debt when i was still in the Phils and single. Also, I’m scared coz we’ll be visiting the Phils before the end of this year. Baka bigla nalang po ako hulihin sa airport :( I really have no plans to run away from my obligations to pay kaso d pa talaga kaya sa ngayon. Hope to hear any updates or advice from u po.
  • hsusonhsuson Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    eprile said:
    Hi @pinayintheusa, i came across your post and i’m in a very similiar situation :( any updates po? I’m very interested to hear what happened to your case. I got a demand letter from the collection agency and still don’t know what to do. I’m in the US too and same as you, couldn’t pay my debt yet coz 1 year pa lang po ako dito, just gave birth...want to settle my debt on my own once makahanap ng work dito and don’t want to burden my husband for my debt when i was still in the Phils and single. Also, I’m scared coz we’ll be visiting the Phils before the end of this year. Baka bigla nalang po ako hulihin sa airport :( I really have no plans to run away from my obligations to pay kaso d pa talaga kaya sa ngayon. Hope to hear any updates or advice from u po.
    No one will arrest you in the NAIA airport.  Hahahah

Just start anew and be diligent in paying debts in your new home.
    hsuson said:
    eprile said:
    Hi @pinayintheusa, i came across your post and i’m in a very similiar situation :( any updates po? I’m very interested to hear what happened to your case. I got a demand letter from the collection agency and still don’t know what to do. I’m in the US too and same as you, couldn’t pay my debt yet coz 1 year pa lang po ako dito, just gave birth...want to settle my debt on my own once makahanap ng work dito and don’t want to burden my husband for my debt when i was still in the Phils and single. Also, I’m scared coz we’ll be visiting the Phils before the end of this year. Baka bigla nalang po ako hulihin sa airport :( I really have no plans to run away from my obligations to pay kaso d pa talaga kaya sa ngayon. Hope to hear any updates or advice from u po.
    No one will arrest you in the NAIA airport.  Hahahah

Just start anew and be diligent in paying debts in your new home.
    LOL @hsuson - sure ka? May lawfirm na nagparamdam and sent me this recently and nag threat na pag nagbakasyon daw ako sa Pinas I won't be able to go back sa US. :( 

Do you know how true is this?
    Maybe for someone with a bigger debt (P250,000+) like me it's super true.
    I just had a baby and all my savings kinda went to my hospital bills -- so even if I want to settle it, I can't right now since I'm not working again.

Paweekan said:
    Hello. I am just curious. Were you able to pay bpi? How much po ang binayaran nyo? Defaulted na din po kc ako for 6mos sa bpi cc ko eh.
    Hello, nope. I don't even know how much I owe them anymore because I have collection agencies and law firms contacting me na. 
  • ValorianValorian Do no harm PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    hindi ka naman makukulong o magkakaroon ng hit sa NBI/BI/DFA ng dahil sa utang

at tsaka:

REPUBLIC ACT NO. 315  - AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION EIGHTY-NINE AND NINETY-ONE OF COMMONWEALTH ACT NUMBERED ONE, AS AMENDED, AND TO PROVIDE ADDITIONAL FUNDS FOR THE INCREASE IN THE PAY AND ALLOWANCES OF ENLISTED MEN OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE PHILIPPINES

so anong ikakaso sayo sa pagpaptaas ng sweldo ng AFP?

• keniegirl4keniegirl4 Member PEx Rookie ⭐
     Estafa is a punishable crime under Article 315 of the Revised Penal Code of the Philippines.  Eto yata yung sinasabi nung collection agency.
  • ValorianValorian Do no harm PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    edited February 7
    Regardless..

Lumang style na yan ng mga kolektor

Yung ibang tao naman kasi, mabasa lang na kakasuhan daw sila, nanginginig na yung katawan sa takot kahit hindi muna intindihin kung ano yung ikakaso sa kanila
  • DJ1933DJ1933 PEx Rookie ⭐
    neinsager wrote: »

Thanks for the response! I appreciate it.
    What do you think I should do for now? Do I keep sending them emails? It looks like they are not reading it anyways

No, Don't bother, don't email them, they can't sue you, it will cost a lot of money and effort to file a case against you, settle there and build wealth start a new life, when you are stable and have a capability to pay, better do it with the banks not on the collection agency. It will not affect your visa, even when you go back here in the philippines you will not be banned by immigration, it's just a civil case. 
  • DJ1933DJ1933 PEx Rookie ⭐
    Is it true po ba na kapag may unpaid bills ka sa credit card di ka makakaalis ng bansa? Machecheck ba sa airport na may bad record ka pa at di pa nababayarang utang?
    Is it true po ba na kapag may unpaid bills ka sa credit card di ka makakaalis ng bansa? Machecheck ba sa airport na may bad record ka pa at di pa nababayarang utang?
    No. it's a myth. Go and work abroad, build wealth and have a happy life, settle if you are able, do it at the bank not CA's.
  • eprile said:

Hello @eprile @pinayintheusa

- came across this post and with similar situation.
    - mine's more than you're outstanding balance.
    - got a HIT when i got my NBI and i'm super scared to show up on my next appointment with them
    - i fear that BPI filed RA8484 which is a criminal case thus caused my HIT when getting a clearance
    - haven't paid the bank yet since i have no job at the moment
    - may i ask any update from you guys please?
    - Thank you so much.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file