Home PEx Campus The Academe
Tip: Here's an Emoji Cheatsheet for your reference.

Med School or Residency in the US

I am taking med tech in UST right now, and I wanted to someday take myself to the US for my career. I already have us citizenship, so that makes things a little easier, but Ive lived here my whole life. I wanted to know if its better to move there for med school already or to wait until after i graduate med too?

If so can someone tell me about the requirements for both? I know med school in the us is very expensive, but thats about it. is it easy to get in (for both med school and professional practice)? what kind of things do i need to have/know to get it done?

Comments

• extranjeroextranjero PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    It is best if you move back if you want to become a doctor in the US. It is a known fact that IMGs have difficulty matching for US residency compared to their AMG counterparts. But can you really afford US medical school?

If ever you opt to stay, then you will still have to finish your coursework here, take the licensure exams (Steps 1-2CK-2CS, AMGs don't take 2CS), and participate in the Match. It's your choice if you still want to take the local board exam (Philippines), but it's not required for US applications.

Being a US citizen already gives you an edge, since some hospitals don't want to bother visa assistance for IMGs. The only difference between IMGs and AMGs is the chances for matching in a residency program. IMGs need to score higher on the licensure exams, get better recommendation letters, and obtain US Clinical experience to have a successful match.

If you want details, check out the match results: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-IMGs-2016.pdf

There you will find how AMGs and IMGs fare during the matching process.

You would have to decide if you really want to become a doctor more than your want to move to US. With your profile, it is easier for you to work as Lab Tech in US. But if you want to become a doctor, then finances and the long-haul-career trajectory are what you need to come to terms.

Good luck!
  • You have better chance of getting matched if you stay in the US unless you are really that good with test taking and you are one of the star students.