COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance. Please update your email address.

Thanks,
pexer99

The Greatest Showman (Starring Hugh Jackman)

Comments

• joshemirjoshemir #BeaverTraveler PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    forg wrote: »
    I watched this last night and was very entertained :D Enjoyed it so much.
    I do get bakit so-so reviews from critic, may something off sa story but personally I don't mind kasi the musical numbers were more than enough for me.

Ang ganda nga ng pagka kanta ng NEVER ENOUGH :mecry:

Favorite number ko REWRITE THE STARS, aliw na aliw ako sa trapeze stunts kahit medyo halata yung special effect minsan :lol: but that was very entertaining

Also loved Hugh Jackman and Michelle Williams dance to A MILLION DREAMS, so elegant.

Ma-impact yung rehearsals ng THIS IS ME and FROM NOW ON na uploaded sa YouTube so medyo undewhelming yung sa actual musical production na mismo, parang may kulang

Bookending the movie with THE GREATEST SHOW *okay*

O di ba? :naughty:

Tingin ko, yung pagka-craft sa film as musical yung naging problema, more on technical side. Ang sakit sa mata ng prod at sa tenga ng sound mixing Hindi ma-appeal yung acting nila as musical ensemble. It’s the worse version of Chicago imo.

Although may mga moments na maganda talaga (Never Enough?), and yes, kahit papaano ay may chemistry si Williams at Jackman.

Ang hirap iexplain ng “kulang” sa This Is Me, pero yes, tama ka.
  • forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    As a standalone song maganda talaga THIS IS ME. I get bakit siya main play nila for the Oscars, kung manominate for sure the live performance will be fantastic because Keala Settle is a great vocalist

Ang quibble ko lang sa NEVER ENOUGH kasi iba yung singing voice sa actress so medyo may disconnect although magaling mag emote naman si Rebecca Ferguson pero mas iba kasi dating kapag yung actual actress mismo kumakanta nung song

Nagustuhan ko rin pala yung TIGHTROPE ni Michelle Williams *okay*
    ^ oh yes. Sana iperform ng buong ensemble ang This Is Us sa Oscars. :D
    ZAC EFRON DELIVERS WINNING MUSICAL PERFORMANCE IN “THE GREATEST SHOWMAN”
    via press release

zac_efron_THE_GREATEST_SHOWMAN.jpg

Nurturing an impressive body of work that encompasses both film and television, Zac Efron has proven to be one of Hollywood’s most sought-after talents. Efron became a household name with the launch of the 2006 Emmy Award-winning Disney Channel phenomenon “High School Musical” as Troy Bolton. He reprised his role as Troy Bolton, head of the basketball team, in “High School Musical 2,” which broke cable TV records garnering 17.5 million viewers. Zac also starred in the Disney feature film “High School Musical 3: Senior Year,” the third installment of the extremely successful High School Musical franchise. HSM3 set a box office record as the highest grossing opening weekend total for a musical. He also starred in the box-office smash summer film “Hairspray,” which won the Critics’ Choice award for Best Ensemble.

Continuing his box-office breaking records with musicals, Efron gives an all-out different kind of performance in his latest movie “The Greatest Showman” with Hugh Jackman, Michelle Williams, Zendaya, Rebecca Ferguson, Keala Settle and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II directed by Michael Gracey who makes his feature film debut.

Hugh Jackman stars as the visionary innovator, P.T. Barnum, who invented show business in “The Greatest Showman.” Raised in a poor family, and through the sheer scope of his imagination and tenacity, Barnum sets about achieving the impossible, launching his groundbreaking circus and in the process, transforming entertainment. Efron takes on the role of Phillip Carlyle, an upper-class New York thespian and entrepreneur, the kind of person who looks down on Barnum’s circus until he’s asked to work with the charismatic impresario.

Though much of The Greatest Showman is drawn from the outlines of P.T. Barnum’s life, the fictional characters of Efron and Zendaya bring in fresh points of view. Carlyle also intrigued him. “Phillip Carlyle is someone who has grown up very privileged, but he’s not happy where he’s at and he feels very sort of caged in and jaded,” Efron explains. “Then he meets Barnum and he sees that P.T. just doesn’t care what people think. It’s liberating for Phillip and the beginning of a great friendship.”

For Efron, Carlyle’s first experience in Barnum’s circus is one of a man having the haze lifted from his eyes. It becomes more than an epiphany when his eyes meet those of aerialist Anne Wheeler (Zendaya). The character gave Efron the chance to get caught up in the kind of cinematic moment that most inspires him. “Falling in love in a musical number on camera is one of my absolute favorite things to do in the world,” he confesses. “I’m not ashamed to say it. I know it’s pretend but when you get to live in that kind of moment for a scene or two, it feels amazing. It brings you back to Gene Kelly and Singin’ In The Rain. Are there any better ways to express true love than in song?”

The love story between Phillip and Anne also involves a 3rd party – Anne’s brother and aerial partner, W.D. Wheeler, portrayed by Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, who plays villain in the forthcoming “Aquaman” and star of Netflix’s “The Get Down.” Says Efron: “Although Phillip’s feelings for Anne are completely real and justified, they’re also forbidden by society at that time and it’s really sad. That was a very different time -- though even today, social boundaries and differences go on preventing love and preventing people from uniting with one another. The big breakthrough for Phillip, I think, is that moment he realizes that you don’t have to live within the constraints that everyone else has drawn. You don’t have to follow rules that are wrong. You don’t have to color inside the lines. You can be your own person.”

“The Greatest Showman” opens January 31 (also available in IMAX screens) in theaters nationwide from 20th Century Fox to be distributed by Warner Bros.
  • kidrenderkidrender Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    [CENTER-HIDDEN]

THE+GREATEST+SHOWMAN+CAMP+B+POSTER.jpg

Philippine Release Date: January 31, 2018
    Director: Michael Gracey
    Cast: Hugh Jackman, Michelle Williams, Zac Efron, Zendaya
    [/CENTER-HIDDEN]

“Every one of us is special and nobody is like anyone else.”

The year begins with a bang in 20th Century Fox’s The Greatest Showman starring Hugh Jackman, Michelle Williams, Zac Efron, Rebecca Ferguson, and Zendaya. Coming from the team who created the award-winning La La Land, the film delights the audiences with spectacle and music.

Inspired by the legend and ambition of America’s original pop culture creator, P.T. Barnum, The Greatest Showman brings an inspirational rags-to-riches tale. Michael Gracey debuts in his directorial role in the contemporary retelling of Barnum’s life. Jackman leads the cast as Barnum
    while Williams plays Charity Barnum.

[center-hidden]THE+GREATEST+SHOWMAN+cast.jpg[/center-hidden]

The show started on a high note with the first musical number. It showcased the energetic and enigmatic musical prowess of the cast. Not only that it stunned with the songs penned by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, it also captivated the audiences with an amazing choreography and great performances.

Having the spectacle of it all covered, The Greatest Showman also boasts a pretty strong narrative. The rags-to-riches tale has been done countless times in the past and inspire, they did but the film added a special touch to it by making it a musical. With that said, the music is the film’s greatest suite. Each song can stand on its own to tell a story and putting them all together creates an impactful narrative.

[center-hidden]DF-19561_R.jpg[/center-hidden]

Jackman definitely stood out in his role but Zac Efron and Zendaya sparked a flame in audiences’ heart with their charismatic performances and presence together. Keala Settle, a Broadway actress and a seemingly fresh face in Hollywood steals the spotlight not only with her acting but more particularly with her incredible vocals!

The Greatest Showman may have just been the musical film that people will love in years to come. Behind the circus setting, it is not just a period piece. The contemporariness of the film itself with the music and the subject it tackles makes it relevant and, well, great!

[CENTER-HIDDEN]Rating: 9/10

5756494783_13ef5406da_m.jpg

The Greatest Showman hits theatres nationwide starting January 31.

Discuss the movie here: The Greatest Showman
    More movie reviews here: Official PEx Movie Reviews

[/CENTER-HIDDEN]
    ZENDAYA REWRITES THE STARS WITH ZAC EFRON IN “THE GREATEST SHOWMAN”
    via press release

Zendaya_THE_GREATEST_SHOWMAN.jpg

Playing opposite mulit-talented actor Zac Efron as Anne Wheeler is another fast-ascending young star, Zendaya in the big screen musical “The Greatest Showman” along with Hugh Jackman, Michelle Williams, Keala Settle and Rebecca Ferguson.

“The Greatest Showman” is a vibrant and engrossing “rags-to-riches” story about a man who achieved the impossible, through determination and the sheer power of his vivid imagination. A pioneer who invented the Big Top, P.T. Barnum (Hugh Jackman) is considered to be the original showman. The Oscar-nominated, Golden Globe and Tony Award winner brings the impresario and entrepreneur to life and we follow him as he launches his circus, ultimately revolutionizing entertainment. Michelle Williams delivers a wonderfully nuanced performance as Barnum’s wife, Charity, while Rebecca Ferguson gives a scene-stealing turn as the iconic 18th-century opera singer Jenny Lind, known as the ‘Swedish Nightingale’. With original songs by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, the Oscar and Tony-winning songwriters behind La La Land, the movie was directed by the exciting new filmmaker, Michael Gracey.

Though much of The Greatest Showman is drawn from the outlines of P.T. Barnum’s life, two fictional characters bring in fresh points of view: Zac Efron’s Phillip Carlyle, the sophisticated man of the theatre who quits his upper-crust life to join the circus – Barnum’s ringmaster protégé; and Zendaya’s Anne Wheeler, the daring, taboo-breaking, pink-haired aerialist for whom Carlyle falls headlong.

The singer and actress most recently seen as Michelle Jones in “Spider-man: Homecoming”. Zendaya knew right away the role was for her – especially because Anne is a natural leader of the so-called Oddities.” “To me, Anne is very confident, very poised and very comfortable in her own skin, at least when it comes to being in the circus. I think that’s what the circus does for all the Oddities. It allows them a place where they can believe in themselves, where they can experience respect and love and have a safe space to be who they are.”

She too was drawn to the love story, especially because it was honest about the obstacles inter-racial lovers faced for so long in America. “It’s tragic that Anne and Phillip’s can’t love each other in the way they long to literally due to the color of their skin,” Zendaya says. “At the time, it would have been dangerous, so most of what they can do is just exchange looks. For Anne, it’s especially hard because she’s dealt with racism all her life and now she’s slowly falling in love with the exact kind of person she always thought hated her. But love is not something you control. Love just happens to you.”

Zendaya dove into training, spending months working with professional aerialists, gaining upper body and core strength and taming fear. “My body has been through a lot, and I’ve had lots of bruises and soreness to show for it,” she laughs, “but it’s been so worth it, especially seeing Michael’s vision come to life. I never in my entire life thought that I would be flying around in the air but I’m very proud of myself, because I tried my best and came way out of my comfort zone. Now, I’m no longer afraid of heights!” Naturally, Zendaya looked forward to the singing and dancing, one of her life’s own great passions. She especially loved working with Keala Settle in the song “This Is Me.” “I know there are young women and young men out there who need to hear that message – to hear that even if I’m bruised, I can be brave and I’m who I’m meant to be. I found the words really cool,” she says.

“The Greatest Showman” opens January 31 in cinemas nationwide from 20th Century Fox to be distributed by Warner Bros.
  • DAKINDAKIN IMTV Cockatoo PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ang ganda ng mga songs!!!!! Naiyak ako sa NEVER ENOUGH.
    Hinintay ko pa talaga ang end credits kung boses ni Rebecca..gosh iba pala.
    Bakit THIS IS ME lang ang pinasa nila? Andaming magagandang mga songs.
    Mas maganda pa nga mga songs nila rito kaysa sa LALA LAND.

Yung video ng THIS IS ME sa Youtube kinilabutan ako.
    Pero dito sa film bakit ganun???? LESS ANG IMPACT?

Hindi kasi maganda ang pagkasulat ng script. Hindi engaging.
    Yung isang love story dito walang dating. Naging sila pala? :lol:

Pero kahit dismayado ako slight sa script nakabawi sila sa mga songs talaga.
  • gotta lick itgotta lick it Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    the reeltime is less than 2 hours. worth it ba?

i listened to the soundtrack 2 weeks ago. i find it average.
    the reeltime is less than 2 hours. worth it ba?

i listened to the soundtrack 2 weeks ago. i find it average.

I must say maganda sa big screen yung at least 2 songs sa buong movie, although sinabi mo nga na average lang yung soundrack talaga. Kung nagustuhan mo ang LA LA Land soundtrack, wala sa ganun level pero almost siguro.

May moments na gusto ko na lang matapos na agad yung film kasi yung storyline is meh lang.
    Rotten Tomatoes strike anew.
    critics hates it. 40%
    audience loves it. 90%
  • magnabashmagnabash Swaying person. PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Watched the movie last Sunday, for me, is not that Oscar worthy.

Sa mga songs, may potential ma-nominate ang "Never Enough", pero malaki ang chance for the song "This Is Me."
  • DAKINDAKIN IMTV Cockatoo PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^wait???? naguluhan ako sa iyo bigla. :lol:
    tapos na ang announcement sa Oscars.
    Bakit may potential na ma-nominate pa???

Hindi naman siya nominated sa ibang mga categories talaga.
    sa Original Song lang sila napansin at THIS IS ME lang ang nakalusot.
    Not sure kung ipinasa nila ang NEVER ENOUGH.
    THIS IS ME lang pinasa nila
  • magnabashmagnabash Swaying person. PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    magnabash wrote: »
    Watched the movie last Sunday, for me, is not that Oscar worthy.

Sa mga songs, may potential ma-nominate ang "Never Enough", pero malaki ang chance for the song "This Is Me."
    DAKIN wrote: »
    ^wait???? naguluhan ako sa iyo bigla. :lol:
    tapos na ang announcement sa Oscars.
    Bakit may potential na ma-nominate pa???

Hindi naman siya nominated sa ibang mga categories talaga.
    sa Original Song lang sila napansin at THIS IS ME lang ang nakalusot.
    Not sure kung ipinasa nila ang NEVER ENOUGH.
    forg wrote: »
    THIS IS ME lang pinasa nila

In terms of being nominated, "This Is Us" ang malaki ang chance compared to "Never Enough."

:)
    magnabash wrote: »
    In terms of being nominated, "This Is Us" ang malaki ang chance compared to "Never Enough."

:)

I think natakot din sila magsubmit ng 2 songs (split votes), kaya mas nakakaamaze ang CMBYN kasi nagtake sila ng risk isubmit ang VoG at MoL, kahit mahirap makalusot sa top 5. Kahit Evermore, bumagsak.
  • TheSVTheSV Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    Seen it last week. I can see why critics didn't like it but I honestly really liked this one. Can't pick which song was the best out of 11 songs. But honestly, I can't stop look at Hugh Jackman as Wolverine but his acting here was also as great as how his portrayal of the Wolverine in Logan. I have to agree though, it's a shame that "This Is Me" didn't have that much of an impact.
    ^ it is another feel good pop music musical. if it were dark and jazzy like "Chicago." Lala Land is also another jazzy musical which the critics loves. a similar musical is Moulin Rouge which did fair either.
  • Naked_SalvationNaked_Salvation Moderator PEx Moderator
    Yung version nung "This Is Me" during the workshop session, I find it powerful. Ang ganda nung pagkanta ni Keala.

Yung version naman dun sa film, mas may effect s'ya sa akin. Nakakadala kasi yung facial expression ni Lettie and the rest of the "freaks".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file