Non-cancerous TUMOR- ever had one?

enjoyincubusenjoyincubus |⌂|⌂| PExer
I had one in the neck. Thank God it's a benign. Is there any possibility or reoccurrence?

Comments

• shallowshallow Ghost of Ian Rush PExer
    i also had a benign growth (im scared of the word "tumor") taken out- it was in the part of my brain which was nearest to the eye. good thing that i had it checked pretty early after i experienced vision probs. i think any sort of growth has a chance of recurring. benign ones though usually don't come back till after at least 10 years. the doc wants me to go through checkups once every 2 years since my family's got a history of cancer.
  • IraIra Member PExer
    Most tumors are benign, and reccurence depends on whether the tumor has been completely excised or not, and what the tissue diagnosis is. enjoyincubus probably had either a lipoma or an epidermoid cyst, which generally doesn't recur and is easy to completely excise, while shallow had a pituitary adenoma, which is different from what enjoyincubus had.
  • enjoyincubusenjoyincubus |⌂|⌂| PExer
    Originally posted by Ira
    Most tumors are benign, and reccurence depends on whether the tumor has been completely excised or not, and what the tissue diagnosis is. enjoyincubus probably had either a lipoma or an epidermoid cyst, which generally doesn't recur and is easy to completely excise, while shallow had a pituitary adenoma, which is different from what enjoyincubus had.

Thanks for the information ?

I'm 19 right now. I was operated around 1997. I'm still 13 yrs old back then. After two consultations, I never went back to my doctor for further checkup. I think the last time I went for another checkup was in 1998.

Now, I feel fine. I feel nothing growing in any part of my body. I feel as healthy as a horse.

QUESTIONS:

*Kung hindi ko ba pinatangal yung "benign" tumor na nakita sa neck ko 4 years ago, ano magiging present state of conditon ko ngayon? Pwede bang maging malignant yun? Hmmmm.... Curious lang.

*Do you think I should still visit me doctor to reassess my condition?

QUOTE]Originally posted by Ira
    Most tumors are benign, and reccurence depends on whether the tumor has been completely excised or not, and what the tissue diagnosis is[/QUOTE]

Is there any possibility that mine was not fully excised by the doctor?
  • IraIra Member PExer
    Even if you didn't have your tumor removed, and knowing that it was benign, the worst thing that could have happened was that it would have grown a bit bigger. Benign tumors may undergo malignant degeneration, but that happens only very rarely.

If your tumor was located on an easily accessible part, unless your surgeon was a complete klutz, it was most probably completely excised.
  • saritasarita Member PExer
    i am a singer in a band, playing in china. i was diagnosed last year in the philippines that i have a thyroid goiter (nontoxic), because i noticed a small growth on my neck (front). they even performed fine needle and prescribed some medicines for it. after, 2 months of medication, i started taking contraceptive pills (diane35). i noticed that the "mass" grew bigger. i still continued my pills, but my husband said that it might be causing the growth. is it possible?

so now i have stopped taking my contraceptive pills. and went to a "foreign" clinic here (kasi they can't speak english, oh btw, they charged me US$300 because they are called foreign dept of the hospital here). they performed blood test & ultrasound. then was diagnosed that i have a a THYROID ADENOMA... looked it up and found a similar meaning to it as "tumor" pero di daw cancerous. what a scary word...

pwede ba yun? i mean, after being diagnosed as having goiter, ngayon tyroid adenoma naman. i am taking medication, and wait till we go back to the philippines on oct for possible surgical operation.

i am quite concern about it since my voice is my livelihood. if ever i undergo an operation for this, di ba maapektuhan ang boses ko? :o
  • IraIra Member PExer
    It's quite common that FNAB-ed masses initially diagnosed to be thyroid goiter turn out to be thyroid adenomas. Actually, the primary consideration for single thyroid masses on young women should be thyroid adenoma unless proven otherwise, and a benign thyroid nodule or goiter may also become thyroid adenoma. Both physicians correctly managed your thyroid nodule, if you're also worried about a possible mismanagement. :) While contraceptive pills may cause slightly altered thyroid function, it will not cause a thyroid tumor.

Complications after thyroid surgery are rare in the hands of a skilled surgeon. You may experience transient voice hoarseness after surgery, since the recurrent laryngeal nerve is intimately associated with the thyroid gland. However, there are cases where permanent voice hoarseness occured when the thyroidectomy is done by an inexperienced surgeon. You should therefore be sure that the surgeon you're going to go to is experienced in thyroid surgery. You will undergo at the very least a hemithyroidectomy, i.e. removal of half of the thyroid gland. Removing the nodule alone (enucleation) is associated with an increased risk of bleeding and/or tumor spill and spread.
  • saritasarita Member PExer
    thanks a lot, doc ira! i know it will be dangerous if i wont have it removed (scared that i might not be able to sing again), but i still think it MUST be removed, while it's still non-cancerous.

i just sometimes make fun out of it. i would often tell guests dat i'm in my adolescent years and i'm turning into a man, due to the "eve's apple" on my throat! :D

thanks a lot again, doc ira! by the way, which doctor should i see when i go back to the philippines?
  • IraIra Member PExer
    You're welcome.

You can consult a general surgeon or a surgeon subspecializing in head-and-neck diseases for your surgery.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file