Home PEx Sports PBA

The weirdest championship runs in the PBA

Taga-dagatTaga-dagat PEx Rookie ⭐
Hello all!

I have been passive in PEx the past few months after my favorite ROS Core Team virtually disbanded just this season. I still watch PBA, and I personally like the TNT-GIN matchup right now. But I cannot help but reminisce that just last year, I have followed the weirdest championship run in years. Yes, it was when ROS clobbered ALA for the 2016 Philippine Commissioner's Cup, all while having the lowest-scoring, lowest-rebounding(needs citation) import in the PBA ever. EVER.

It was so surreal, for me at least, how they won that championship with Rob Dozier, a very prolific scorer and former Best Import, being the reinforcement of ALA that time. ROS had to match him up with Pierre Henderson-Niles, the shittiest black player that grazed the local scene ever, in terms of all important aspects of the game, except for one -- being a big, block of boulder in the middle of the paint.

The ROS Core Team, headed by the colorful-mouth Yeng Guiao, aced by Paul Lee, together with Belga, Qui?ahan, Ponferrada, Cruz, Tiu, Iba?ez, Almazan, and others, was, as they say, were not really top-notch-right-from-the-start great players.

Who would have thought they'd beat Junemar Fajardo's SMB in the semis and Calvin Abueva's ALA for that awesome chip, with all that crazy pulled-out-of-your-ass team? And yet their championship seem to not sound well to everyone. I wonder why. I personally believe that it should be one of the greatest runs ever and should be easily in the top 10 greatest chips, albeit the barrage of nuances that flooded my then favorite team.

You, what do you think is the WEIRDEST championship run you have seen in the PBA?

Comments

• counterplundercounterplunder PEx Rookie ⭐
    Pinaka weird yung nahabol ng smb ang 3-0 lead ng alaska. Ilang games na nun na parang panalo na alaska tapos nagchochoke pa like yung game 4 ba yun lamang na sa dulo alaska tapos natalo pa ano kaya nangyari? Then game 7 nag exercise sila sobrang weirdo nila nakakatakot nga parang nasiraan ng ulo nabaliw alaska dun.

2nd weirdest yung panalo ng sta lusia vs purefoods 2007 pa ata yun. Out of nowhere eh nagchampion bigla ni hindi nga masyado kilala yung sta lucia players noon sino ba mga player nun tapos after magchampion biglang pinamigay ryan reyes at kelly wlliams ang weird lang. Parang kung ngayong conference isipin mo nagchampion bigla blackwater ganun ang nangyari sa sta lucia dati bulok na bulok na din kasi ang team na yan noon akalain mo nagchampion pa bago lumayas pba. All filipino pa nagchampion!
  • Taga-dagatTaga-dagat PEx Rookie ⭐
    Pinaka weird yung nahabol ng smb ang 3-0 lead ng alaska. Ilang games na nun na parang panalo na alaska tapos nagchochoke pa like yung game 4 ba yun lamang na sa dulo alaska tapos natalo pa ano kaya nangyari? Then game 7 nag exercise sila sobrang weirdo nila nakakatakot nga parang nasiraan ng ulo nabaliw alaska dun.

Ah, yes. That ALA shitfest. Hahahaha. That was weird, yes, in a bad and all manner of it. Lalo yung nagkendeng-kendeng nung 3 timeouts sa beginning ng 1Q. Hahahahaha.
    2nd weirdest yung panalo ng sta lusia vs purefoods 2007 pa ata yun. Out of nowhere eh nagchampion bigla ni hindi nga masyado kilala yung sta lucia players noon sino ba mga player nun tapos after magchampion biglang pinamigay ryan reyes at kelly wlliams ang weird lang. Parang kung ngayong conference isipin mo nagchampion bigla blackwater ganun ang nangyari sa sta lucia dati bulok na bulok na din kasi ang team na yan noon akalain mo nagchampion pa bago lumayas pba. All filipino pa nagchampion!

Yo. That was not really, really weird for me. Maybe you just found it weird because all of a sudden they won. Maybe mostly because Williams and Reyes, both great all around players, came to the start the party. I still remember a lot of the players there, some still showing/ed signs of greatness on their own after the team disbanded. Omolon, Espino, Marlou, Reyes, Williams, Daa, Denok Miranda!, Yeo. That was a great line-up. I followed that game and was actually a Sta. Lucia fan.

But hey, I am not old enough to be able to watch all the games from the late 90's and beyond. Tulong naman, Sir Jay P. Mercado? :)))
  • Jay P. MercadoJay P. Mercado Moderator PEx Moderator
    Can't describe it as "weirdest" but I understand this was only used for semantics. I'd rather describe it as "the most unusual or unexpected."

Here's a partial list:

1. A?ejo vs. Purefoods (1988 AFC) - Purefoods was the heavy favorite to win this best of 5 series. The Hotdogs featured a battery of veterans and rookies while the 65ers were made up of a hodgepodge mix of discarded players. A?ejo surprisingly upset Purefoods in Game 1 that led to the accusation that team leader Ramon Fernandez allegedly "sold" the game. He was benched all throughout the series, Purefoods struggled while A?ejo gained the momentum to give Coach Robert Jaworski, Sr. his first and only AFC title.

2. NCC - Manila Beer (1985 Reinforced Conference) - The one conference that proved the national team was the best ballclub in the land, even better than the professional teams. This was difficult to believe, considering that the best players were in the PBA. Sure, NCC had two naturalized players in their lineup featuring Dennis Still and Jeff Moore, but the other teams had one prolific import as well no taller than 6'5. The Brewmasters paraded the hulking 6'4 Francois Wise, who proved no match against the stingy defense of Ron Jacobs's team. NCC swept the series in what is generally regarded as the most lopsided Finals in PBA history.

3. Purefoods - Alaska (1990 Reinforced) - A young Tim Cone was on the cusp of winning his first ever PBA title, putting up a commanding 2-0 lead in their Best of 5 Finals series. What he didn't expect was that his opponent across the bench, the legendary Baby Dalupan, had several tricks up his sleeves that befuddled Cone. Dalupan won his final PBA title by winning the three remaining games of the series, replicating what he did back in the 1975 All-Philippine Conference when his Crispa team came from behind 0-2 in their series against Toyota to win the title and prevent the Comets from winning the league's first grandslam on its maiden season.
  • KevinDurantKevinDurant PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Weird sa akin yung 1995 Governor's Cup Alaska v SMb

Grand Slam na sana yung Sunkist noon. Di ko talaga inexpect na hindi nila yun makukuha with their loaded lineup.
  • jsonmilesjsonmiles Member PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    The most unexpected championship run for me was Shell back in 1999 all filipino, given that Shell avoided facing Mobiline that time thanks to another Bal David gamewinner, anyone never imagine them beating that Tanduay Team..
  • jsonmilesjsonmiles Member PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    Great comeback yun sa smb and i dont want to remember it, but its a rematch of the last all filipino finals and arvuably the 2 most strongest and competitive teams at that time.. all went downhill for alaska from there..
  • It was so surreal, for me at least, how they won that championship with Rob Dozier, a very prolific scorer and former Best Import, essay editing uk
    being the reinforcement of ALA that time. ROS had to match him up with Pierre Henderson-Niles, the shittiest black player that grazed the local scene ever, in terms of all important aspects of the game, except for one