We Were Soldiers

MEMMEM Banned by Admin PExer
SHOWING NA SA MARCH 1, 2002!!!

B00005JKYS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
WE WERE FATHERS, BROTHERS, HUSBANDS, AND SONS

Mel Gibson is one of my favorite actors. Sobrang galing niya! Can't wait na!! :)

Source: http://us.imdb.com/Plot?0277434

PLOT
In a place soon to be known as The Valley of Death, in a small clearing called landing zone X-Ray, Lt. Colonel Hal Moore (Mel Gibson) and 400 young fathers, husbands, brothers, and sons, all troopers from an elite American combat division, were surrounded by 2,000 North Vietnamese soldiers. The ensuing battle was one of the most savage in U.S. history. We Were Soldiers Once...And Young is a tribute to the nobility of those men under fire, their common acts of uncommon valor, and their loyalty to and love for one another.

Kailan ba showing nito sa Pinas?

Comments

• ^^XTC®^^^^XTC®^^ fire-dancing PExer
    I've been waiting for this movie for the longest time after reading the book. Do try to read the book if you get the chance, it's (the book) really phenomenal. The movie was based on the book penned by Hal Moore (tho I'm sure you knew that).

*sigh* can't wait for this.
    I've heard several "plugs" of a premier on Monday March 4 2002. Hmm, baka along that date sya i-re-release, I'm keeping an eye on the newspapers too, since I think SM MegaMall and a hand-ful of cinema's air "pre-showings" of movies. I remember watching "Black Hawk Down" a week before it's regular showing.
  • SIOPAO MANSIOPAO MAN hooah! PExer
    Mel Gibson was on "Good Morning America" this morning talking about the film. Ann Curry even got very emotional during the interview. She says it's a very powerful film.
    Originally posted by SIOPAO MAN
    Mel Gibson was on "Good Morning America" this morning talking about the film. Ann Curry even got very emotional during the interview. She says it's a very powerful film.

Hmm...nakiyak ren ako sa book. If you liked the book Band of Brother's, I'm sure this book We were soldiers once...and young will come-to-par with the emotional aspect of the story of BoB. Plus to realize all these happened, adds to the "power" of the film.
  • MEMMEM Banned by Admin PExer
    Originally posted by ^^XTC®^^

Hmm...nakiyak ren ako sa book. If you liked the book Band of Brother's, I'm sure this book We were soldiers once...and young will come-to-par with the emotional aspect of the story of BoB. Plus to realize all these happened, adds to the "power" of the film.

Parang BraveHeart ba ang dating ng We Were Soldiers?
  • homeBuddyhomeBuddy Member PExer
    looking forward to this one, i love powerful war movies...hope this one has more heart and substance than Black Hawk Down (w/c i loved!)...looking forward to Keri Russell...
  • yup.me too.looking forward to watching this movie.hope it comes out after our final exams.mahirap na pag ipapalabas to within that week...
    hey xtc, where can i get a copy of the book?available ba ito sa mga local bookstores?thanks! :)
  • Road DoggRoad Dogg Smell My Face!!! PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    We Were Soldiers starts Mel Gibson. It'll open on US theaters this coming Friday, March 1st.

We will ride in the battle, and this will be our horse...
  • badtzmarubadtzmaru Banned by Admin PExer
    just dont forget that the millions of vietnamese killed by amerikkkan imperialists were also soldiers with families, kids, parents, wives, as well as the non-combatants who were also families that were massacred by the greed of amerikkkka's military-industrial complex.
    Sana mas maganda ito kaysa sa Black Hawk Down. Dahil inantok talaga ako sa mga actions scences ng Black Hawk Down. Sobra kasing linear yung scence, paulit-ulit pa! :(
  • i'm sure this will be another war movie that will make the americans look good. i wonder how it will stand up to the facts of history?
    Source: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/review/movies/weweresoldiers.htm

“A Tribute and Salute to Those Who Fought in Vietnam”
    Review by SEAN SAULSBURY

weweresoldiers_review.jpg

In recent months, war-related movies Behind Enemy Lines, Black Hawk Down, Hart’s War and Collateral Damage have battled it out at the box office. In light of September 11th, their subject matter has gained a profound new meaning, addressing the nature of war and why we wage it. Now, We Were Soldiers steps onto the cinematic battlefield and emerges as the clear victor, well-worth the price of admission.

We Were Soldiers tells the story of Lieutenant Colonel Harold G. Moore (Mel Gibson) and the battle at LZ X-Ray in the Ia Drang valley, the first major conflict between North Vietnamese troops and American troops in the Vietnam War.

weweresoldiers_gibson.jpg

Gibson shines in the role, showing us an intelligent, thinking, brave and determined leader. He won’t ask a man to do what he won’t do himself: “I will be the first to step on the field and I will be the last to step off,” he assures his troops. He reads books and studies the nature of his enemy carefully. He trains his men meticulously, preparing them for the ominous battle to come. “Men will die,” he tells his troops, knowing that he and his men are at a disadvantage against an enemy on their own turf.

weweresoldiers_kinnear.jpg

In addition to Gibson, Greg Kinnear, Sam Elliot, Barry Pepper, and Keri Russell all give outstanding, A+ performances.. Kinnear plays Bruce Crandall, a chopper pilot showing determination and courage while still revealing his fear of death in the course of battle. Pepper plays Joe Galloway, the journalist who rode into the heat of battle to get his story first-hand. (Just wait until you hear his reason for becoming a journalist instead of a soldier.) And in spite of my personal disdain for her character on the WB’s Felicity, Russell inspires us as a strong-willed mother, in spite of the possibility of losing her husband Jack Geoghegan (Chris Klein) at war.

The film does an exceptional job of transitioning from place-to-place, whether from one area of the battlefield to another, to the women and children back home, you always have a good sense of where things are happening and when they’re taking place. When one platoon is cut off from the rest of the soldiers, when riverbeds are won and lost, you know exactly what effect it has on the battle. You experience first-hand the grave danger these soldiers experienced. You mourn their deaths and cheer their victories because in spite of the fact that you’re sitting in a movie theater, you feel like you’re there in battle with them, facing the possibility of death, witnessing the horror of it all.

Writer-director Randall Wallace (The Man in the Iron Mask) spends a fair amount of time showing us what is going on behind enemy lines from the point of view of the North Vietnamese. I first heard this was an element of the film before I saw it and was afraid they were going to portray the communist North Vietnamese in a sympathetic light. But, interestingly, these scenes added to the drama and suspense of the film. We see what each leader is thinking and planning for the next attack, which only builds more suspense in anticipation of the next scene to come.

weweresoldiers_homefront.jpg

A sense of family is well-portrayed among the soldiers, and especially among the wives at home. Madeleine Stowe plays Julie Moore, the wife of Lt. Col. Moore. She heads up the group of wives, giving moral support and preparing them as best she can for the possible death of their husbands. Her and Russell show us the chilling events of how they dealt with relaying the notice of the death of their friends’ husbands.

What is lacking in the film is mention of how the war started, or that North Vietnam was communist. Although these are well-known facts, they are too important to pass over in a film about the Vietnam War.

The filmmakers have been saying in their media appearances that this is an anti-war movie due to the graphic nature of the battle scenes. Be prepared: the battles scenes are graphic, but I did not come away thinking they were pro- or anti-war. The sheer quantity of gore can never trump the morality of why we fight a war. These scenes only dramatize the risks of fighting a war, and who and what is at stake. The political elements shown in the film (e.g., how we went into Vietnam unprepared, and failed to properly arm our men in the best way possible) only demonstrate, in my view, that if we do choose to fight a war, we must do so acknowledging the risks and then proceed with the moral certainty that our cause is right, with only one goal: to win.

We Were Soldiers is the best war movie Hollywood has released since September 11th, showing us how to fight a battle and how not to fight a war. With outstanding acting and a wide variety of emotions, it is a tribute and a salute to those who fought in Vietnam, and to any soldier who fights for America.

Grade: B+
  • SIOPAO MANSIOPAO MAN hooah! PExer
    unlike many great films from the past about the Vietnam war (Platoon, Apocalypse Now, Born on the fourth of July), this was not filmed in the philippines. It wasn't even filmed in Asia at all. It was filmed at locations in Georgia and California right here in the USA. I think most American Hollywood production companies will start to shy away from the philippines as a location for their Vietnam war films because of the danger it presents to US Citizens.
    Originally posted by badtzmaru
    just dont forget that the millions of vietnamese killed by amerikkkan imperialists were also soldiers with families, kids, parents, wives, as well as the non-combatants who were also families that were massacred by the greed of amerikkkka's military-industrial complex.

Read the book, it (the book) admittedly speaks of this reality each of the american's faced in the aftermath, even the author: Hal Moore (played by Mel Gibson), gives his own account of doing battle with these people, and take note -- after the war, the viet-cong, the north vietnamese forces (both were against the American's and the South Vietnamese Forces) had a "reunion" get-together, discussing things that went on during the war.

If you read the book, the viet-cong/NVA commanders have their own accounts to share.

The "greed" of the American military-industrial complex you talk about was very much scrutinized not only on the side of the Vietnamese people, but also to the American men the US sent to the "meat-grinder" called Vietnam.
    Originally posted by harry_baggins
    i'm sure this will be another war movie that will make the americans look good. i wonder how it will stand up to the facts of history?

The whole Vietnam War made the US look bad. I think this movie make/s the soldiers who fought in the Vietnam war feel better, a tribute if I may say.

I agree with you on "how will it stand up to the facts of history", let's just hope the movie just does that....
  • tina11tina11 Member PExer
    how come i haven't seen any trailers/previews for this movie? but based on the review, it looks great. looking forward to watching this one on wednesday *okay*
    Originally posted by tina11
    how come i haven't seen any trailers/previews for this movie? but based on the review, it looks great. looking forward to watching this one on wednesday *okay*

Hmmm...sayang, minsan ko nga ren makita yung trailer when I watch movies, of 5 movies I've watched lately, I've only seen the trailer twice. :rolleyes:
  • coZeecoZee Member PExer
    i saw this movie kanina and its really GOOD!
    its from the team that gave u braveheart

its blood and gore everywhere, parang saving private ryan.

2 thumbs up! :cool:
    Originally posted by coZee
    i saw this movie kanina and its really GOOD!
    its from the team that gave u braveheart

its blood and gore everywhere, parang saving private ryan.

2 thumbs up! :cool:

SAN MO NAPANUOD!!!!!!!!!! Inggit ako.... :(
  • GreenLanternGreenLantern Registered User PExer
    I'm looking forward to seeing this movie...I haven't seen Vietnam-war movies yet and I hope that this would turn out to be worth my hard-earned money
  • ApolpayApolpay Member PExer
    talaga maganda ba talaga....

sure bang d masasayang yung money mo???

if ever na maganda nga ito malamang panonoorin namin

ito ng hubby ko ... ito kse yung mga gusto nyang movie eh....

like collateral damage akala namin ok... pero pag labas namin

ng sinehan nakasimangot yung hubby ko d raw gnun yung

inaasahan nyang makikita nya.... kulang sa action....
    Just saw the movie. It was pretty good, although having read the book, a LOT of material was left out, tho I'm sure if the movie followed all the events in the book, it'd prolly cost a fortune, and I'm sure a 3 hour timespan would not even encompass all the events in the book.

IMHO medyo "bitin" yung ibang scenes, plus most of the actors characters' stories didn't get that much exposure...

Felicity was there! hehehe! aliw! ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file