Home PEx Local Entertainment Showbiz - General
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

The Beach

beachpic.jpg

Hey, remember the movies Lord of the Flies, Blue Lagoon, Lost Horizon or even Apocalypse Now? Ok, The Beach isn't all about those. And I am serious.

"My name is Richard. So what else do you need to know?" and our travelogue begins. The Beach tells us of Richard (Leonardo DiCaprio), an alienated 20-something GenX-er-*****-vagabond-Nintendo-kid who backpacks to Thailand while running away from the overly convoluted computer-crazed and MTV culture, via an amblyopic and uninspired voiceover narration.

In search of the delicious self-perfection, self-absorption, and finally finding the abyss of his life, Richard stumbles onto the map, courtesy of Daffy (Robert Carlyle), to a shangri-la they call The Beach; finds a French couple, Francoise (Virginie Ledoyen) and Etienne (Guillaume Canet) and voila! off to this hidden paradise till everything gets sour (literally in the movie, that is) because of Richard's misdemeanors.

Director Danny Boyle (Trainspotting), shoots with jaw-dropping scenes and somewhat phantasmagoric camera he once did in Trainspotting, cinematically pretty edgy and bold sans the substance. But, so what? Never mind all those exotic tans and Sports Illustrated swimsuit models and dudettes frolicking or the breathtaking exoticism and all, The Beach, after all, is a bad place to be. Not if you are one of those screaming adolescent girls wearing braces.

Scenery at its best, and that's all about it.

§inned™'s Grade: C-

Comments

• he(leo) ate something ...

• I saw it in a premiere. One thing's for sure, that was a very beautiful beach. Well i kind of share the same feeling about the too touristy places with all the people. I don't know but leo is just too over-rated right now but it sure did help the movie to get publicity. I kinda liked it though, everything's in there, drama, action,and the travelogue.
  • Here's my review I posted 3 days ago...

beachpic.jpg

Hey, remember the movies Lord of the Flies, Blue Lagoon, Lost Horizon or even Apocalypse Now? Ok, The Beach isn't all about those. And I am serious.

"My name is Richard. So what else do you need to know?" and our travelogue begins. The Beach tells us of Richard (Leonardo DiCaprio), an alienated 20-something GenX-er-*****-vagabond-Nintendo-kid who backpacks to Thailand while running away from the overly convoluted computer-crazed and MTV culture, via an amblyopic and uninspired voiceover narration.

In search of the delicious self-perfection, self-absorption, and finally finding the abyss of his life, Richard stumbles onto the map, courtesy of Daffy (Robert Carlyle), to a shangri-la they call The Beach; finds a French couple, Francoise (Virginie Ledoyen) and Etienne (Guillaume Canet) and voila! off to this hidden paradise till everything gets sour (literally in the movie, that is) because of Richard's misdemeanors.

Director Danny Boyle (Trainspotting), shoots with jaw-dropping scenes and somewhat phantasmagoric camera he once did in Trainspotting, cinematically pretty edgy and bold sans the substance. But, so what? Never mind all those exotic tans and Sports Illustrated swimsuit models and dudettes frolicking or the breathtaking exoticism and all, The Beach, after all, is a bad place to be. Not if you are one of those screaming adolescent girls wearing braces.

Scenery at its best, and that's all about it.

§inned™'s Grade: C-

• there is only 1 thing 4 sure. i'm gonna be watchin it no matter what the reviews are. ako pa. fan ako ni Leo D.
  • Sinned,Thanks for that picture and that rating. yep it's quite rough but the scenery is sure cool. So if you guys out there can tell me the specific island and the resort they did that movie, i sure appreciate it.
  • Didn't Scream 3 defeat The Beach sa weekend box office in the US? :)
  • haven't seen it. don't think i WILL see it.
    i kinda feel betrayed by this "The Beach" thing. why betrayed? well, because i am a humongous fan of the Boyle-Hodge-McDonald-McGregor TEAM. they were supposed to do this with ewan mcgregor, NOT DICAPRIO, for goodness sake!! but boyle said they needed the money to make this film, and leo was more bankable. shame on him. you don't need a star, you need the right person for the part. i know i'm ranting. but ewan felt so bad...
  • terje, i think leo is over-rated and i prefer another actor for that role. well they just think that the film will make more money with leo in it and it really sucks.
  • I read the book and I'm going to see the movie to check out what parts they compromised...
  • have u guys seen this film??
    i've seen this na and i've got mixed reactions...cguro mataas lang expectations ng tao?? hmmm...one thing's for certain, my boyfriend thinks this movie sucks!! hhahaah =D ako, ok lang, pero d ganun ka ok...

lemme hear ur comments...ano masasabi nyo?? ok ba or disappointing? :)
  • could've been better. i would agree that i had higher expectations on this one, after all of the controversies it had to go through.

it could've been better...
  • CaRaMBaCaRaMBa Administrator PEx Moderator
    Not good daw... How true?
  • Ok lang. I was reminded of LORD OF THE FLIES
  • yeah! if your gonna watch this movie, don't expect too much or you're gonna end up disappointed.. :rolleyes: snooze.gif
  • xtxxtx PExer
    ok lang yung film... basta maganda yung scenery!

tsaka yung kissing scene ni virginie ledoyen and leonardo sa beach... WOW. yun yung magandang scene!
  • Sarap ulit-ulitin especially yung Kissing Scene Part... so cute! :love: