Home PEx International Entertainment General Entertainment

¤¤¤ OSCARS 2000 Nominations ¤¤¤

The Oscars 2000 Nominations were announced early this morning, and here are the nominees:

Best Picture:
American Beauty
The Cider House Rules
The Green Mile
The Insider
The Sixth Sense

Best Actor:
Russell Crowe (The Insider)
Richard Farnsworth (The Straight Story)
Sean Penn (Sweet and Lowdown)
Kevin Spacey (American Beauty)
Denzel Washington (The Hurricane)

Best Actress:
Annette Bening (American Beauty)
Janet McTeer (The Tumbleweeds)
Julianne Moore (End of the Affair)
Meryl Streep (Music of the Heart)
Hilary Swank (Boys Don't Cry)

Best Supporting Actor:
Michael Caine (Cider House Rules)
Tom Cruise (Magnolia)
Michael Clarke Duncan (The Green Mile)
Jude Law (The Talented Mr. Ripley)
Haley Joel Osment (The Sixth Sense)

Best Supporting Actress:
Toni Collette (The Sixth Sense)
Angelina Jolie (Girl, Interrupted)
Catherine Keener (Being John Malkovich)
Samantha Morton (Sweet and Lowdown)
Chloe Sveigny (Boys Don't Cry)

Best Director:
Lasse Halstrom (The Cider House Rules)
Spike Jonze (Being John Malkovich)
Michael Mann (The Insider)
Sam Mendes (American Beauty)
M. Night Shyamalan (The Sixth Sense)

Best Original Screenplay:
Alan Ball, American Beauty
Charlie Kaufman, Being John Malkovich
Paul Thomas Anderson, Magnolia
M. Night Shyamalan, The Sixth Sense
Mike Leigh, Topsy-Turvy

Best Adapted Screenplay:
John Irving, The Cider House Rules
Alexander Payne & Jim Taylor, Election
Frank Darabont, The Green Mile
Eric Roth & Michael Mann, The Insider
Anthony Minghella, The Talented Mr. Ripley

Best Foreign-Language Film:
All About My Mother (Spain)
Caravan (Nepal)
East-West (France)
Solomon and Gaenor (United Kingdom)
Under the Sun (Sweden)

§inned™'s Notes:
There ya go! Jim Carrey was snubbed again this year. It's going to be a tough race between Tom Cruise (Magnolia) and the 11-yr-old Haley Joel Osment (The Sixth Sense) for the Best Performance of an Actor in a Supporting Role. Annette Bening, who lost to Hillary Swank (Boys Don't Cry) in the 2000 Golden Globes, will be the front-runner in this year's Academy Awards. The Cider House Rules and The Green Mile never gotten any attention in the major critic circle awards and the Golden Globes.

The Talented Mr. Ripley didn't get any major nominations aside from the Supporting Actor nomination of Jude Law. Sean Penn's nomination for Sweet and Lowdown was another surprise since the movie never got any buzz prior to the nominations. But, definitely, I love his performance in this Woody Allen film.

American Beauty got 8 nominations, followed by The Cider House Rules with 7 nominations.

The awards will be presented March 26 in a live ABC telecast hosted by Billy Crystal.

§inned™

Comments

• too bad for jim carrey...i hope denzel washington wins...he won in the golden globes...i hope he gets an oscar too!
  • hmm though i am a big fan of Gwyneth Paltrow and the rest of the cast of Talented Mr Ripley, i think it was a bit overhyped. The story dragged on and on (ok, i won't spoil it for others who hasn't seen it). I was really impressed with Jude Law though, i really like the part where him and Matt Damon was on the boat and he kept on shouting to Matt "BORING!" and then..kaput! bwahaha..anyways, I really liked American Beauty and The Hurricane(shempre, Denzel, a fordham alum! :)). And i wanted Boys Don't cry and being john malkovich to get alot of nominations..sayang wala sa best pic.
  • My fearless forecast: Russell Crowe will win the Best Actor trophy. Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, OI OI OI!!!!!!
  • clawed_outclawed_out PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    best picture: either american beauty or the green mile

best supporting actor: joel osment (6th sense)

all movies are good, it's so hard to decide!!!
  • American Beauty... hope it wins!
    The 6th Sense!!!
  • nice ang competition ngayon.honestly i din't like last year's winners......
    didn't jim carey say that he's tom hanks of the golden globes??? heheh, too bad dinedma na naman siya.......
    the oscars snoobing a minghella movie??? bago yan ah.....
  • as they say - golden globes are the dress rehearsal for the oscars..so here are my bets

best actor - denzel washington (i was rooting for him during the gglobes)

best actress - hillary swank

best picture - american beauty

supporting actor - haley joel osment (remember anna pacquin?)

supporting actress - angelina jolie
  • CaRaMBaCaRaMBa Administrator PEx Moderator
    My boyfriend (Matt Damon) wasn't nominated! Hmpphhh! Seriously, I haven't seen the movies so I won't be a good judge.

It's nice that Haley was nominated. Although I didn't watch "The Sixth Sense", I heard from a lot of people that he was really good.
  • caramba: you watch it....ganda....
  • Too bad groundbreaking films like Being John Malkovich and Magnolia weren't nominated.

I would have also wanted to see John Horatio Malkovich win for best Supporting Actor--- a kick in the ***** to Hollywood's obsession with celebrities
  • It's the season for great commercial films.

I'm glad that the Academy decided to recognize The Sixth Sense as one of the best movies of 1999. I'm even more appreciative of the fact that they recognized the superb acting of Haley Joel Osment. This kid CAN act!

Despite them winning the Golden Globes, Denzel Washington and Hilary Swank cannot rest. Kevin Spacey (his 2nd ?) and Meryl Streep (her 12th Academy nomination) should give tough competition. Remember what happened to Cate Blanchett last year?

It's too bad that Jim Carrey was snubbed again. I was hoping he'd get at least a nomination.
  • my bet are the ff:

Best Picture: American Beauty

Best Actor: Denzel Washington (The Hurricane)

Best Actress: Hilary Swank (Boys Don't Cry)

Best Supporting Actor: Michael Clarke Duncan (The Green Mile) although magaling din si Haley Joel Osment (The Sixth Sense)

Best Supporting Actress: Angelina Jolie (Girl, Interrupted)

Best Director: Michael Mann (The Insider)

Best Original Screenplay: Alan Ball, American Beauty

Best Adapted Screenplay: Anthony Minghella, The Talented Mr. Ripley

Best Foreign-Language Film: All About My Mother (Spain)

Best Art Direction: Anna And The King

Best Cinematography: baka American Beauty, I still have to watch these movies.

Best Costume Design: Anna And The King

Make-Up: Life

Original Song: Tarzan (Phil Collins)

Best Sound: The Mummy

Sound Effects Editing: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Best Visual Effects: The Matrix
  • IraIra PEx Rookie ⭐
    Something I read: the Las Vegas bettors are placing their bets on Kevin Spacey for the best actor category.

I don't watch movies, so I really can't give my bets. :)
  • Would you guys believe that a song from South Park the Movie actually got nominated? I myself was shocked when i read the list of nominees.
  • I'm going for Russell Crowe and Toni Collete, go you aussies :D yay

I hope Tom Cruise finally wins an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor!

StJames- so you're from aussie too huh? cool, i no longer feel alone on these boards :D
  • neth_rowneth_row PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i don't understand why russell crowe is such a favorite to win the oscar for "the insider"....heck, al pacino's performance was even better....although maganda yung acting ni crowe, overachievement na yung nomination....
  • oh, yah.. i've seen Girl Interrupted sa VCD... astig c Angelina Jolie...
  • AMERICAN BEAUTY all the way!!!
    i thought kevin spacey was adorable in it.
    I WANT HIM TO WIN!!!