COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

JOSHUA GARCIA: The Breakout Actor Of The Year | T#8

Comments

• Bruno MarseusBruno Marseus Pokemon PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Napulot ko lang :glee:

Philippine Box Office
    4 س ·
    [#]LoveYouToTheStarsAndBack[/#] topped the previous Weekend Box Office with P47M while Columbia Pictures [#]TheDarkTower[/#] post a moderate P26M.
    Weekend Box Office August 30-Sept. 03'2017

1. Love You To The Stars And Back - P47M
    2 Annabelle: Creation -P36M (Total Cume: P124M)
    3. The Dark Tower - P26M
    4. Woke Up Like This - P13M (Total Cume: P73M)
    5. Battleship Island - P9M
    6. The Hitman's Bodyguard - P7M (Total Cume: P39M)
    7. The Emoji Movie - P6M (Total Cume: P27M)

Last week pa pala to. Nahopia ako. :hiya: I-add ko na sana yan sa 60M eh. :rotflmao:
  • monsterlifemonsterlife Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    [Tweet]
    Dumami siguro talaga nanood ng lysb at inilipat pa nila sa pinakamalaki na sinehan.
  • etherial_fistetherial_fist RD=MM=ALE=JG PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Give “Love You to the Stars and Back” the chance it deserves

maaaaamro

20664438_10154900453527916_4432409221156510233_n.jpg

There are stories that pull you in as they unfold, and there are stories that stay with you for the rest of your days. Love You to the Stars and Back is the type of film that does both. With its outstanding cinematography and witty, heartstrings-tugging dialogue, LYSB is able to show the beauty of young love, and how believing can be the salvation of a person despairing.

I am easy to please, but it takes a lot for me to write about a material. When I first saw the trailer, I knew it was something I was going to enjoy watching. The alien abduction narrative has been used before, the allusion to a deeper desire of abandoning an Earthly life is not new, and there has been a truckload of road trip films produced. But LYSB, top-billed by Joshua Garcia and Julia Barretto, more popularly known as the JoshLia tandem stands on its own, for a number of reasons.

The banter between the two leads has been dealt with so effortlessly that it feels as if you were watching a film from the ’80’s and ’90’s, when came the onslaught of romantic comedy films revolving around the human need for connection. Jadaone has the uncanny ability to weave dialogues seamlessly so the lines said are not cringe-worthy and over-the-top, but sometimes awkward, stilted, and yet hilarious, as though two actual people, and not mere characters, are conversing in front of an audience—without knowing there is an audience. This is a fatal mistake of most rom-coms today, coming up with drawn-out speeches that won’t spontaneously fly out of people’s mouths. Mika’s aggressive rationalizing and Caloy’s equally aggressive counterpointing that naturally result in talking over each other endear both characters to the audience, and the kalabaw-eating-humans argument skims only the surface of the witty exchanges. It pays that both leads have impressive comedic timing.

(I am a sucker for dialogue infused with smart arguments and assertion, so.)

The silent parts of the film resonate as well. Jadaone was able to make the most out of JoshLia’s electric chemistry, and she proves time and again that butterflies and sparks can speak so much louder than any form of skinship and kissing. JoshLia’s outstanding handle of their roles make them a force to be reckoned with, and their acting chops shine most brightly when the silence builds up and explodes in an emotionally-charged sequence.

Easily my favorites will have to be the bridge and pantry scenes. I won’t divulge anything, as they are better watched than spoiled, so get yourself a ticket and witness the way they masterfully pan out. There is this one other scene, though, that makes it to my list, and this one involves only Joshua Garcia’s teeth-chattering portrayal of how a few defining moments of one’s life can play out as blissful and expectant, then desperate, thwarting, heart-breaking, and anger-inducing all in a matter of minutes. Garcia showed how easily he can pluck out and embody different emotions from his arsenal without seeming forced or synthetic. (Sound bites although NV: Pakisabi po sa amo n’yo **** siya.)

I appreciate Jadaone’s trust in her characters and her leads. By leaving out the staple wingman and best friend and family during the most emotionally-challenging scenes, she was able to show how humans can introspect their own heartbreak without goading, and how humans can be vulnerable without needing an audience to revel in their misery and whisper or yell to them “sound” advice or the constant “I’m rooting for you.” For that alone, the film is able to go back to its heart, with two people in an escapist journey. (You don’t exactly bring an entire platoon for journeys like that, do you?)

Musical scoring is characteristic of a Star Cinema film, but the use of Torete grips audiences quite effectively. Cinematography is reflective of Jadaone’s indie films, and is, as always, wonderful.

Perhaps the only thing about the film I’m reluctant to give a nod to is the ending. It could have gone the completely opposite direction and would still make just as big an impact, if not bigger. But with Jadaone’s penchant for love-heals-all stories, it is expected and not at all disappointing.

There are also little details about the film that make it one of the most accurate and repeat-watching-worthy movies of 2017. Pay attention to the stickers on Caloy’s helmet. Listen very carefully to the time of death of Mika’s mom. And other things that will be a joy to spot on your second or third viewing.

To conclude this, my warmest congratulations to JoshLia and Direk Jadaone. I would like to think this is a passion project of not only the writer-director but also of the two leads, and this film is nothing short of beautiful and wonderful. It was an experience worth having and if you are looking for a film that is refreshing, then by all means, please watch it.

(By the way, this is no The Fault in Our Stars rip-off. You’re deluding yourself by thinking that.)

Rating: 9.3/10
    DJR8MiLUIAEgzaU.jpg

Congrats Joshie :D
    Last week pa pala to. Nahopia ako. :hiya: I-add ko na sana yan sa 60M eh. :rotflmao:

Nakita ko lang yan nung may nagbabash na LQ tard na flop daw ang LYSB. Yan yung site na ipinagmamalaki niya kung saan daw nakuha yung 60M with matching screenshot na 46M lang naman. Di niya alam madaming SOCO ang JoshLia. Up to September 3 lang ang gorss na yan. Nilabas yung figures ng SC nung 5th day na. I don't know why kung saan pinaghuhugutanng ibang fandoms at kelangan mag put down ng ibang artista to think na their idols had achieved so much naman. :bop: Mag-update daw sila after weekend. Mag hello 100M na kaya? Abangan. :glee:
    [Tweet]
    Dumami siguro talaga nanood ng lysb at inilipat pa nila sa pinakamalaki na sinehan.

2 cinemas na allotted for LYSB sa Glorietta.
    [tweet]

Pwede. Gawn na ng fanatserye yan :rocker:
    Sana magkaroon ng Soundtrack Album ang LYSB. Gaganda ng songs *okay*
    [instagram]
    [instagram]
    [instagram]