Suggestions for a Local TV Series

JohnnyJohnny One Big Fight! PExer
Hi. Our group is working on producing a local COLLEGE tv series for one network, an adult Dawson's Creek or Wonder Years. Basta, something intelligent, reflective, sensitive, catered mainly to the AB crowd. We've been tasked to create, from scratch, a pilot script to be submitted in a couple of weeks.

I would personally welcome suggestions regarding one major thing -- WHO IS THE PIVOTAL CHARACTER? (Ex. Dawson in "Dawson's Creek") What would work in our context? I have some ideas myself (again, someone reflective, sensitive, intelligent) but would like more input from PEXers.

We're particularly bent on using non-actors, or at least unknowns to play the major parts, non-showbiz people.

We're sending a pilot script soon, so... there.

Thanks in advance for the help.

[This message has been edited by Johnny (edited 01-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Johnny (edited 01-22-2000).]

Comments

• wAgKaNgMaKuLiTwAgKaNgMaKuLiT Unregistered PExer

...why not do a "real world" style show.
    ala "life on campus", the up's and down's of the student, how hard it is living in a dorm... stuffs like that... just a suggestion. :)
  • YoshiYoshi Member PExer
    I'm sorry, but I think I've had enough of lame youth-oriented shows. I just happened to watch an episode of Click kanina. It's a really nice show...nice to show to Comm majors who would want to learn how to NOT make a show. Lame acting, lame storyline, lame locations; only saving grace nila yung lighting.

Since your crowd is AB, why not do something that the AB crowd could really relate to? Enough of those cheap crap. Personally, DC comes on as too intelligent for me, considering that the characters are 16-year old high school students. Maybe you could do something that's a bit realistic (I guess that's why I like watching Felicity better coz it comes out more natural).

Pivotal character? Well, a girl pivotal character seems to be the trend. But maybe you could veer away from focusing on school too much. Maybe something more on how he/she actually lives her life in and out of campus.
  • JohnnyJohnny One Big Fight! PExer
    Good feedback, Yoshi. I am personally tired of those cheap-y baduy shows myself. That's why I am going against the tide here. Use of non-actors, genuinely associated as AB themselves, no qualms Showbiz Lingo type acting. And yes, I'd like to focus on their lives out of campus. Stress is on relationships: family, career, friends, belief systems. I would like to go on a more visual route here. More powerful images, less talk. More reflection, less babbling, don't you think?
    That's why we're on the lookout for fresh talent, to become a part of our writing pool. Sorry to be a bit discriminating here, but we have to choose people who are themselves within the socio-economic bracket as those of the characters, namely AB. Or at least people who capture our struggles, pains, dreams, etc as Filipino young adults.

Interested parties should be insightful, to the smallest detail. They must be broken and wounded themselves. Email me.
  • happyhappy NiGeLLe PExer
    my advise is...never, never, never, NEVER make a "super klenk" type of show! that has got to be the most baduy & gad-awful tv show in this universe! title palang, nakaka-irita na!

i agree with wagkangmakulit's idea of "the real world" kind of show. it can be about students and how they cope with their everyday lives. of course it should be unedited...except of course when absolutely necessary...hehehe! :)
  • wAgKaNgMaKuLiTwAgKaNgMaKuLiT Unregistered PExer

...gawa kayo ng show na unscripted. para natural lahat, diba?
    Thanks guys. Cinema verite type is good also, but I would like to go the other route, a little more gloss and visual hirits.

Question about content: what never-before-explored subject matter do you think is best tackled in a series such as this? Again, focus is on relationships. Basically, family, friends, career, belief-systems, philosophies in life, light social commentary, etc. to erase the idea of us thinking ONLY about partying, drinking, getting laid, getting stupid, and stuff.

On the other hand, we're not focusing too much on angst. We're stressing also on reflection and decisions to actions to get us out of our own pits.

Any suggestions?
    happy: Super Klenk? Yung kay Ara Mina! Tama ka, title pa lang kinda stupid na ang impression ko! :D

kulit: Baka naman makasuhan sila ng invasion of privacy. :)

Johnny: About the reflection part. Are you planning on the characters to do the reflection theirselves on-cam? Kasi I was thinking about leaving the more serious reflection to the viewer himself. It's more "powerful" that way.
    I agree that we have to lessen the angst part. Most shows today center almost all the episodes on problems that they encounter everyday. Parang its impossible naman to have problems everyday di ba, and so the episode comes out too melodramatic.
    Never-before-explored subject matter: Meron pa ba nun? :)
    Yoshi: No, we don't plan to do it on-cam, else it'll sound preachy, corny.

We'd like to integrate them into the thread of the narrative instead, leaving something for the viewers to digest.
  • bouncebounce The Round Mound of Sound PExer
    Hey Johnny...I've been thinking about trying to develop a story like that as well...college kids in an AB situation...might be hard to sell to a mass audience but I know that it would work...I am very interested and I am very scarred...e-mail me...i want in (pleeeez!!!_ =)

[email protected]

Hope to hear from you
    Johnny: That's great! I was hoping you'd say that!

Teka lang, what else could happen to kids na AB? That would be a problem kasi what else can you talk about but the same things. Maybe the spin should be on how these topics are dealt with, rather than a change in topics. Maybe a few twists on these common situations would help.
  • bouncebounce The Round Mound of Sound PExer
    My premise is that there are these bunch of kids from different years who are together in this org...at the start of the year, these kids go out on a training seminar out of town, get stranded and bond immediately....upon their return, they then see each other through the ups and downs of college life...a lot of issues can be found here...platonic friendships, drug addiction, grades, tension in projects, gimmicks, alcoholism...it's a veritable rich field of ideas talaga and i hope that johnny gets in touch with me
    Hi. Just logged in. Sorry for the late reply. Our group just had a meeting, and we came up with character profiles for the four xters.

Bounce: Thanks for your interest. Will need a sample of previous work. Email me at [email protected] hehe
    Hi. Just logged in. Sorry for the late reply. Our group just had a meeting, and we came up with character profiles for the four main xters.

Bounce: Thanks for your interest. Will need a sample of previous work. Email me at [email protected] hehe

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file