COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

What Causes Earthquakes?

AteoAteo Non est Deus. Fac cum eo. PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
That is the question early Man asked, thus necessitating the invention of religion. Now we know that the Surigao Quake was caused by tectonic plates shifting along the fault line near Surigao. But why did the plates shift - that really is the question; and these are answers:

A. God's will (answer of 99.99% of Christians)
B. The Devil did it! (Oh, oh, a dualistic view that is not popular that implies that the Devil is a rival god with His own will.)
C. Free will. 0.0001 hedges their bet on this; and smartly so. It frees them from rxplaining why Mr Omnibenevolent decided to kill 8 innocent victims. If they were atheist victims, thst is easy to explain as god's wrath or punishment. But the victims are likely poor religious people who can't afford a stronger house.
D. Nobody's will. A few young people uses the Problem of Natural Evil to start questioning their childhood conditioning. There are a few of them but each one is precious as the world slowly sheds its delusion.

Happy Darwin Day!

Comments

• KidlatNgayonKidlatNgayon Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    The earth is God's creation:

Psalm 46:2-3
    Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change And though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea; Though its waters roar and foam, Though the mountains quake at its swelling pride. Selah.

God protects us from earthquakes:

Psalm 75:3
    When the earth and all its people quake, it is I who hold its pillars firm.

God causes the earthquake because He is angry:

2 Samuel 22:8
    "Then the earth shook and quaked, The foundations of heaven were trembling And were shaken, because He was angry.

Psalm 18:7
    Then the earth shook and quaked; And the foundations of the mountains were trembling And were shaken, because He was angry.

Isaiah 29:6
    From the LORD of hosts you will be punished with thunder and earthquake and loud noise, With whirlwind and tempest and the flame of a consuming fire.

Nahum 1:5
    Mountains quake because of Him And the hills dissolve; Indeed the earth is upheaved by His presence, The world and all the inhabitants in it.

Ezekiel 38:19-20
    "In My zeal and in My blazing wrath I declare that on that day there will surely be a great earthquake in the land of Israel. "The fish of the sea, the birds of the heavens, the beasts of the field, all the creeping things that creep on the earth, and all the men who are on the face of the earth will shake at My presence; the mountains also will be thrown down, the steep pathways will collapse and every wall will fall to the ground.
  • AteoAteo Non est Deus. Fac cum eo. PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Salamat, Kid. So galit si God sa Surigao o sa mga atheists sa PEx? Bakit sanggol ang pinatay ni Lord doon? At
    Bakit pawang mga poor ang mga biktima?
    Ateo wrote: »
    Salamat, Kid. So galit si God sa Surigao o sa mga atheists sa PEx? Bakit sanggol ang pinatay ni Lord doon? At
    Bakit pawang mga poor ang mga biktima?
    1 Samuel 2:6-7
    ESV
    The Lord kills and brings to life; he brings down to Sheol and raises up. The Lord makes poor and makes rich; he brings low and he exalts.

Job 1:21
    ESV
    And he said, “Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.”

Deuteronomy 32:39
    ESV
    “‘See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.
  • JagonJagon Don't listen to me PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ut0t ko. causes earthquake
  • HermesTrismegistusHermesTrismegistus III PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Naturingang realm of thought ito at napakathought provoking ng tanong. :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
  • ArchimedesArchimedes B?nned by ?dmin PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Earthquake?
    "No, battle formation" -King Leonidas , 300
    The Christianists here are deflecting the issue. If God is all knowing and all powerful and all loving ek ek, did he allow the Surigao earthquake? Why did he allow a poor infant to die? That, obviously, is the main question of this thread.
    May geology subject na yata ang mga elementary. sa kanila mo itanong.
  • sophionsophion Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    1 Samuel 2:6-7
    ESV
    The Lord kills and brings to life; he brings down to Sheol and raises up. The Lord makes poor and makes rich; he brings low and he exalts.

Job 1:21
    ESV
    And he said, “Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.”

Deuteronomy 32:39
    ESV
    “‘See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.

so in short eh walang magawa si God kayat napagtripan niyang patayin iyung mga mahihirap. ganun ba? :D
    May geology subject na yata ang mga elementary. sa kanila mo itanong.

Geology says that earthquake is causedmainly by tectonic shifts. They are secondarily caused by volcanic actions. So, the question becomes, "why dis Jeezeebus caused the tectonic plates in Surigao to move? Could he just hold them still?

I have a sinking feeling that Free Will gets blamed here eventually.
    Geology says that earthquake is causedmainly by tectonic shifts. They are secondarily caused by volcanic actions. So, the question becomes, "why dis Jeezeebus caused the tectonic plates in Surigao to move? Could he just hold them still?

Galit kasi sa mga bading si God kaya may lindol. Para ma butthurt sila at magcomplain sa RoT. :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Mark my word, pag wala ng bading sa mundo, mawawala ang mga lindol, bagyo, global warming at mga nakakamatay na sakit. baka mawala na rin ang mga giyera. :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
  • ramblerrambler I wait for You, my Savior. PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    The Christianists here are deflecting the issue. If God is all knowing and all powerful and all loving ek ek, did he allow the Surigao earthquake? Why did he allow a poor infant to die? That, obviously, is the main question of this thread.

Kulang ang kakayahan ng tao na maarok ito. I don't subscribe to both Calvinist and Arminian views - for me they are not adequate to describe how God's sovereignty interfaces with natural phenomena and free will.

Job and his friends struggled with this very concept and went back and forth from Job 3-37. Then in Chapter 38, God spoke in a whirlwind, not to answer Job's question, but to tell him his understanding is insufficient to really grasp the complexity of existence.

For me, to view God as both holy and loving is more than enough. God bless ya.

Jesus does not cause them, Jesus is not God.
  • gotta lick itgotta lick it Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    there was a massive earthquake yesterday, February 14, Valentines Day. and, it had multiple epicenters, Monumento, North Edsa, Cubao, Sta.Mesa, Ermita, Pasig, Guadalupe, and Baclaran. people were so scared, crowds outside motels can be seen, people desperately hugging each other and some were seen immediately leaving the motel covering their heads and faces.
    Galit kasi sa mga bading si God kaya may lindol. Para ma butthurt sila at magcomplain sa RoT. :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Mark my word, pag wala ng bading sa mundo, mawawala ang mga lindol, bagyo, global warming at mga nakakamatay na sakit. baka mawala na rin ang mga giyera. :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

No butthurt. It is an opportunity to mock God, just like in the days of Noah, bwahahaha!

At any rate, all who died in Surigao were Christians. The infant was killed when a heavy glass containg a rosary fell on him. Jesus to blane, bwahahah!

Why God Allows Bad Things to Happen
    https://incmedia.org/why-god-allows-bad-things-to-happen/
    sophion wrote: »
    so in short eh walang magawa si God kayat napagtripan niyang patayin iyung mga mahihirap. ganun ba? :D

Meron Siyang magagawa kung gugustuhin Niya. Hindi Siya nagti-trip, lahat ng bagay ay may dahilan. Walang mayaman o mahirap sa Diyos.

Isaiah 55:8
    "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," declares the LORD.

Isaiah 55:9
    "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts.
    Jesus does not cause them, Jesus is not God.

but He can command the storm to stop, can He not?

Do you know why He allowed it?

It's so that people like you can raise questions like you are asking now,

additionally, so that people like us could not answer your questions.

In the end, all of us must go back to Him and bring the question to Him and ask.

This triggers prayer, and fellowship with God, it bring you closer to Him.

Like I said Ateo, may araw ka rin. :naughty:

How many more dead infants does it have to take in order for you to accept Jesus as your Saviour? :naughty:
  • iskrotumiskrotum Ako si King Kong! PExer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file