Home PEx Local Entertainment Showbiz - General
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

When was the last time you actually ENJOYED a FILIPINO MOVIE?

i'm thinking...thinking...prolly ages ago. i think it was still during the time of aiza. all right, i confess, i actually liked this movie where claudine baretto had a major change of image when she hooked up with conservative smart guy rico yan. cant remember the movie. i wouldnt have seen that movie though if hbo was showin a bad hollywood flick that i've already watched. so confess...do u like watching filipino movies? what's your favorite pinoy film?

Comments

• ok i confess...haha i do watch those pinoy movies on ch 22...minsan nga marathon pa e..haha darn...pero shempre kung k yung movies ha..mostly movies ni sharon, vilma s n those tear-jerker movies like ung kung mawawala ka pa...

but i guess d last pinoy movie dat i actually enjoyed watching was gimik d reunion...twas kinda funny... ;)

azy...ive seen that movie a million times na sa pinoy channel..i kinda like the role of diether dun...coz parang he's so in luv wid claudine, pero claudine loves rico tlaga...n wat diether did at d end part was really touching..haha yuk memorized...bwahaha...1 more thing, kadiri tlaga yung last line ni claudine don ahh...pang asar...nweiz..since ive been up to this pinoy movies, 1 more touching yet baduy pinoy flick was the movie of juday,wowie (eww) n rico ulit...nyc ung role ni rico don...twas really sweet...un lang pero i really hate d juday-wowie tandem...
  • The last really good Filipino movie I saw was Soltera, which starred Maricel Soriano and Diether Ocampo. It was really nice, the acting was good, story was also good.
    Ako rin, favorite ang Pinoy Blockbuster Channel...hehehe
  • last week lang when i watched pangako ikaw lang! :heartful:
  • rorsrors PExer
    i guess two days ago when i got to watch "Eskapo" on 22. :D
  • Originally posted by *~AzY~*
    i wouldnt have seen that movie though if hbo was showin a bad hollywood flick that i've already watched. so confess...do u like watching filipino movies? what's your favorite pinoy film?

you make it seem as if Filipino movies are THAT BAD. i mean, admittedly yes there are some. but i emphasize SOME because there are alse SOME Filipino movies that are beyond greatness and can even compete with the foreign films we watch all the time.
  • well, i enjoyed watching the movie of aga and joyce, NARINIG MO NA BA ANG LATEST?!!!. :shrug: the story so light and you actually know whats going to happened next. the movie was so predictable i was texting all my friends throughout the movie :winker: They saying I sucked and that I was sicked that I was actually watching that movie. :alien: I just opened my eyes and sat there breeze through the movie and went out. i enjoyed it i didnt say i like it. :silly:
  • tanging yaman was good...
  • I liked "Deathrow" and "Pangarap Ng Puso" with Matet. Directed by Mario O'Hara. I dunno if you can call that "good" but really heart-stopping ,disturbing film.
  • Noel VeraNoel Vera PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Ophelia: you liked Pangarap ng Puso? Really?

It went to Singapore Film Festival, and was in competition. The jurors didn't vote for it, I heard, because they found it too strange. No one hated it, but they didn't know how to feel about it.

Which I think is a compliment, in a way. I think it's one of the best and most daring Filipino film in years.
  • Originally posted by chobas_angel
    tanging yaman was good...

yup! I watched it lang last week on VCD...okay sha. *okay*
  • Noel- Yes! It was one of the best Filipino films I ever saw. What year was that made? The story flowed well. Although the incest part was kind of put clumsily into the script. In my opinion.

The ending I was so frightened by that. Unexpected so grotesque! I still don't know if I like the ending or if I really despise it. I still don't know what to feel about the so-called "kapres", they need more budget. But I like how they mix folk tales that your yaya always tell you as you go fast asleep(or not) and politics, the wicked military and whatnot. I guess, they have to understand Filipino culture to really appreciate it.

Very well done. The cinematography was cool. I like the subtle things too such as Matet reciting a poem while, shes secretly held the guy's hand.

It would've been a much better film if they had more budget and they get rid of that poster. I thought it was teen flick--it was WAY WAY far from that!

And damn that kid looks like Matet! Like they shrunk her or something!

Lemme guess...nag-flop 'to no? How can Filipinos expect good movies if they don't watch them.
  • Just last week I saw Pangako...Ikaw Lang and enjoyed it.

I'm going to borrow Joyce Bernal's Dahil May Isang Ikaw from a friend and I'm hoping I'll enjoy it just as much as I did Pangako.
  • A friend from the Philippines sent me a "Booba" VCD (not necessarily from Yoshi, :D). It was sorta funny.

OK FINE! :D
  • JOSE RIZAL da best!
  • sa pinoy movies ..... eskapo would always be one of my all time favorites na pinoy movie.

pero to answer this thread's question, nag-enjoy ako dun sa aga-joyce movie ha. korni na kung korni pero bahala kayo kasi nag-enjoy ako e ... :D:p:D
  • Originally posted by ?nema
    Just last week I saw Pangako...Ikaw Lang and enjoyed it.

I'm going to borrow Joyce Bernal's Dahil May Isang Ikaw from a friend and I'm hoping I'll enjoy it just as much as I did Pangako.

oh i love that movie! my sister says its better than pangako daw.
    "It was one of the best Filipino films I ever saw."

More and more amazing. I would like to say the same, but I haven't the courage.

"What year was that made?"

"Although the incest part was kind of put clumsily into the script. In my opinion."

More or less everyone agrees on this, tho Joey Gosengfiao points out the daughter calling her father a 'demon' is in keeping with the demon/male/rapist theme (the older maid calling her daughter's boyfriend a 'demon,' Matet calling Alex Alano a demon ties in with this as well). It's also I feel a way for O'Hara to demonstrate that Matet can function by herself, that she can do good and help someone on her own, even once in her very short life.

But yes, it's possible this could all have been done differently, and better.

"I still don't know if I like the ending or if I really despise it."

A former entertainment columnist told me it was the most grotesque thing he ever saw. I said "exactly!" He moved away from me as if I had grown fangs.

"I still don't know what to feel about the so-called "kapres", they need more budget."

I feel two ways about this. One, the way you feel (more budget) and two, that O'Hara was able to do so much, through editing and trick camera angles, without a budget--the film was made for only $65,000 (at 46 pesos to the dollar) or 3 million pesos.

Know how much an ordinary Filipino film is made for nowadays? $290,000.00, or roughly 15 million pesos (at 53 to the dollar). Then a film like Ordinary People, an intimate drama with no special effects is made for $40 million. Figure in what O'Hara tries to do--as someone put it to me, Gabriel Garcia Marquez as done by Jean Luc Godard--and his doing it at that budget is not only impressive, it's almost miraculous.

"I guess, they have to understand Filipino culture to really appreciate it."

That's what the jurors in Singapore Film Festival thought, and that's why they didn't vote it best film. It's too strange and odd. More, the people who subtitled the film for Singapore thought there was something wrong with the print of the film, it was so strange. I like to think it's too different--they couldn't understand it yet. It's like no other Filipino film ever made, even more than what Kidlat Tahimik did (who, incidentally liked O'Hara's Sisa--another really wild film made for 3 million pesos, shot in ten days).

"I like the subtle things too such as Matet reciting a poem while, shes secretly held the guy's hand."

You don't see that very often in a Filipino film. I thought it was a very touching gesture.

"It would've been a much better film if they had more budget and they get rid of that poster. I thought it was teen flick--it was WAY WAY far from that!"

Glen Marcelo and Mother Lily thought that up. It was so strange they wanted to sell it as a love story, hence the title. The original was "Bulong ng Balakyot" (Whispers of the Demon). The title in Singapore is simply 'Demons."

"And damn that kid looks like Matet! Like they shrunk her or something!"

Matet was startlingly beautiful. And Alex Alano is intense.

"Lemme guess...nag-flop 'to no?"

First day, last day.

"How can Filipinos expect good movies if they don't watch them."

It went by most critics' radars and was hardly awarded anything by Urian, Famas, Star (maybe best direction or script nominee from Urian, I think, and a mention by the Young Critics' Circle, again for direction).

Don't be too hard on them. O'Hara really came out of nowhere with this one, and even film festival jurists didn't know what to make of it.

I can tell you--David Hanan, film historian, loved it; same with Constantino Tejeros of Inquirer; same with Philip Cheah, of Singapore Film Festival (he's programmer but not juror); same with Roger Garcia, an L.A. film critic; same with Juanita Kwok, director of Sidney Asia Pacific Film Festival. And the audience in Singapore (it was sold out, standing room only)--they laughed and were charmed by the romance, and they gasped at the ending.

It's a special and difficult film, but people do respond.
  • The last time The Rock enjoyed a Filipino movie was after watching Mike de Leon's Bayaning 3rd World.*okay* It debunked a lot of the Jose Rizal mythos, even ones that Marilou Diaz Abaya's Jose Rizal didn't mention. Too bad it didn't last long in theaters.:(
    I liked Bayaning Third World a lot. It's a joke, like Magritte: "This is not a pipe." This is a film about the impossibillity of making a Rizal film. Brilliant.

In a different vein is O'Hara's Sisa--which I prefer in its far-out outrageous way even more than Bayaning. Let me put it this way--if Bayaning Third World deconstructs Rizal with intellect and humor, Sisa does so with passion and imagination. If Bayaning pulls Rizal down from his pedestal, Sisa pulls him down, takes all his clothes off, and puts him on top of Sisa, pumping away. Shocking? Bastos? You bet!
  • Thank you Noel for answering my questions.

"First day. Last day." Are you serious? :(

Alex Alano is charming and to my surprise --an actual Filipino young actor who can ACT!:wow2: Is this his first movie because WOW I'm so impressed. He may not be so popular back there because he isn't traditionally handsome. But damn! Can you imagine if they got someone like him for Deathrow he might shed some light on Cogie Domingo's character besides crying buckets of tears.

Matet de Leon is very pretty and I guess her mom had some influence with her acting. She was perfect for the role. Too bad I heard she's just coming out in those commercialized "love team build up" teen shows. But I hope she gets more offers like this one.:)

Mario O'Hara astig ang galing! I'm glad medyo nag-hit naman siya sa Singapore.

Shed some light in the Filipino industry besides those Rizal flicks, I swear if I see another Rizal flick I'll pull my hair out. Bayining Third World was a great antedote.

And speaking of Rizal--- Marilou Diaz-Abaya film after Rizal.:rolleyes:
    I DETEST as in super blind hatred talaga and that would be overrated,overhyped- Muro-Ami what a waste! I saw it in the Seattle Film Festival tapos yung mga tao were very confused! I don't blame them Ano ba yun? Parang symbolisms and storylines randomly put together. What was maestro's purpose to do that in the end. Is Maestro the incredible Hulk? Bakit one time napakahina niya "Aray and sakit ng likod ko!" tapos hindi mamatay-matay.
    'Ni walang introduction for the characters. He hardly had any relationship/friendship wityh Jhong. Para bang last minute "Ooh! Gawin natin 'to! Para mas malaki yung impact!" Trying hard wala naman na convey. Sabi ng tatay ko "depressing and pangit." Sagot ko "Depressed?! I felt nothing! It's like a picture show going on and on and twists after twists, your looking at your watch--Good God Please End!" Cesar Montano is overrated. Pen Medina was wasted. Jhong Hilario was the only redeeming quality in the movie. I want my $6.50 back! Walang binatbat sa "Battle Royale" ng Japan. Should have just brought "Pangarag Ng Puso"/"Demons" instead.

Okay enough na about my venting! :D

Pero in fairness, there are a lot of good Filipino films out there, hindi lang napapansin.