Home PEx Campus The Academe
Tip: Here's an Emoji Cheatsheet for your reference.

Pre-law courses

Can someone help me to decide what pre law should i take in order for me to be a versatile lawyer?
-legal management?
-philosophy?
-political science?
And what is the difference of BS-LEGAL MANAGEMENT from AB-LEGALMANAGEMENT? which is better?

Comments

• asdfgadasdasdasd
  • KasinamaneKasinamane PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    "Versatile lawyer" <-- What do you mean by this?

No discipline could prepare you for life during law school - that much I can assure you. Brilliance in the study of law depends on the individual and not his/her undergraduate program. Don't take this advice lightly: develop your study habits as early as possible. Surviving law school depends largely on how you manage your time. Pure intellect will get you nowhere.

That said, I have batchmates who majored in philosophy who are doing really well. I could attribute this to their strong foundation in logical reasoning. Surprisingly, disciplines like political science and legal management, which are dubbed as the best for "pre-law", don't produce many impressive law students. I speak only from personal experience, of course.

Fundamentally, BS and AB legal management programs are the same. The former, however, typically has more units of business courses than the latter.
  • I think im going for AB Philosophy. However, my mother dont want me to take up Philo course cause it doesn't have a good career in future unless i pursue law. What can you say about that? Still confused.
  • extranjeroextranjero PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    How about telling your parents that if you take a course that doesn't interest you, you might end up having poor grades. And poor grades won't get you in a top-tier Law School...
  • cretinous00cretinous00 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    questions you can answer on your own, or the first (not later than the third) person you talk to, shouldn't be posted on an "Academe" forum.
  • KasinamaneKasinamane PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    extranjero wrote: »
    How about telling your parents that if you take a course that doesn't interest you, you might end up having poor grades. And poor grades won't get you in a top-tier Law School...

Incorrect. For one, having "poor" grades is not necessarily correlative to less understanding of a topic or discipline. For another, despite the proclamation of some "top-tier law schools" that an applicant's undergraduate weighted average grade would be part of the admissions process, I know some people who had middling to barely passing grades who are now in such law schools (UP and Ateneo, specifically). One can presume na "myth" lang ito.
    I think im going for AB Philosophy. However, my mother dont want me to take up Philo course cause it doesn't have a good career in future unless i pursue law. What can you say about that? Still confused.

Again, I stress that your undergraduate program should not be major factor in your choice for "pre-law". Let's take for example UP Law's expectant valedictorian for this academic year, Carlos Hernandez. His undergraduate program was chemical engineering. Miles different from your typical "pre-law" choices, no?

That said, if you want to take up philosophy, please make sure that you really want to pursue that discipline, regardless whether you'll pursue law studies afterwards. I've only taken some philosophy units during my undergraduate years, and I found the subject difficult. Of course, this is dependent as well on the university you attend.