The 10 finalists of the Cinemalaya 2017 (Year 13) main competition (full length films) were announced by the Competition Director Mel Chionglo at the Cinemalaya 2016 awarding ceremonies last August 14 at the CCP Main Theater!
CONGRATULATIONS to the following (in collage photo made by Mell T. Navarro):
Top Row (L-R):
1. Mes de Guzman -- "Ang Pamilyang Hindi Lumuluha" (his previous Cinemalaya full length film was "Diablo" in 2012, which won the Cinemalaya Best Film and Best Director, as well as Best Screenplay at the Gawad Urian Awards in 2013)
2. Eduardo Roy Jr. -- "Lola Igna" (his previous award-winning Cinemalaya full length films were "Bahay Bata" in 2011, "Quick Change" in 2013, and this year's "Pamilya Ordinaryo" which won Best Film, Best Director, Best Actress for Hasmine Killip, among others)
3. Joseph Israel Laban -- "Baconaua" (his previous Cinemalaya full length films were "Cuchera" in 2011 and Nuwebe in 2013 which won for him the Best Director award in Asean International Film Festival & Awards or AIFFA in 2015, held in Malaysia.
4. Cen?n Obispo Palomares -- "Unang Patak ng Ulan sa Buwan ng Mayo" (his previous Cinemalaya full length film was this year's Kusina as writer and co-director)
5. Zig Dulay -- "Bagahe" (his previous Cinemalaya short film was "Missing" which won Gawad Urian's Best Short Film in 2014)
Bottom Row (L-R):
6. Thop Nazareno -- "Pacboy" (his previous Cinemalaya short film was "Eyeball" which was nominated as Best Short Film in Gawad Urian Awards in 2015)
7. Alberto Monteras, II (Treb Monteras) -- "Respeto" (his first full length film, but has been directing music videos etc)
8. Perry Esca?o -- "Ang Guro Kong Hindi Marunong Magbasa" (his first full length film but has done some short films in the past)
9. Nerisa Picadizo (NP Picadizo) -- "Requited" (her first full length film but has done some short films in the past)
10. Crisanto Calvento (Sonny Calvento) -- "Nabubulok at Hindi Nabubulok" (his first film ever, working as scriptwriter in ABS-CBN shows)
As early as February 2016, they were already informed individually by Cinemalaya organizers, so as to have long period of time to prepare, and it's now official! They have inked their contracts with the country's popular and prestigious indie film festival for 2017.
Last year (2015), more than a hundred entries were submitted (detailed sequence treatment) and they were short listed to 25 semi-finalists. These 25 filmmakers were then asked to submit their full script and pitched to the Selection Committee as to why their entries deserve to be in the line up.
Until finally, only the Top 10 were chosen and now, the verdict is out! Yes, they have ONE YEAR to prepare -- from casting, location hunt, pre-production meeting, finding executive producers, shooting, and post-production.
Cheers and GOOD LUCK, Batch 2017 of Cinemalaya! We shall be waiting for your films next year!