Home PEx Family and Society Buhay Pinoy

Curious ka ba sa pinagmulan mo?

hermeowninihermeownini PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
Like madame sa father's side ko, bombayen ang itsura. My father's surname is a common Pampanga last name, but there's an Indian variation. My father's parents were also tangos-ilong at kayumanggi. They came from Tarlac and moved to Pampanga during the war. It makes me wonder what kind of people lived in that region before that era. Like madame ba Bombay doon or somethng?

Kayo nacu-curious ba kayo sa lahing pinagmulan ninyo? Hinahanap-hanap niyo ba ang mga kamukha niyo tulad ni TDJakes? Where is he btw :rotflmao:

Also a lot of words in the Bahasa Malaysia language are like kapampangan and the speakers sound Kapampangan.

Eg, Keluar = Kilwal = outside
Nasi = rice
anak = anak (in kapampangan anak means bata or younger person, in Malay it means infant)
nyaman = manyaman (masarap)
jalan - dalan (street, Eg. Jalan Times, Times Street)

Yun na lang naalala ko pero marami talaga kesa sa tagalog pramisss

Comments

• Ako alam ko ang aking pinanggalingan. Nagkaroon kami ng genealogy project ng tatay ko. Hanggang pitong generation sa panig ng tatay at nanay ko ang aking nalista.

Nasa gen-i website ang puno ng aking mag-anak.

Magandang minsan-sa-buhay na project ang genealogy. Mahirap pero kapag natapos mo, napakaganda. Mainam lahat tayo pasukin ito.
  • hermeowninihermeownini PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Ako alam ko ang aking pinanggalingan. Nagkaroon kami ng genealogy project ng tatay ko. Hanggang pitong generation sa panig ng tatay at nanay ko ang aking nalista.

Nasa gen-i website ang puno ng aking mag-anak.

Magandang minsan-sa-buhay na project ang genealogy. Mahirap pero kapag natapos mo, napakaganda. Mainam lahat tayo pasukin ito.

How does that work? Guaranteed ba na merong result? I wanna try... Baka maharlika ka kaya documented ang family tree mo :lol:

I just googled some facts about Kapampangans. So before the Spanish invasion mga Indones pala ang early settlers sa Central Luzon, so their language is the closest to Kapampangan. Many Pinoys do look like Indonesians and Malaysians...
  • I was and when i finally had the resources and capability, i tried. Was able to talk to the last living sibling of my grandpa when i was younger and she told us my great, as well as my great great grandparent stuck out in the crowd for their height and skin color. So from an early age i knew why my surname sounded foreign. Worked from there. Pero hindi ko rin nakuha yun first of his name Portuguese na sakay ng Manila galleon. Mas madali yun sa mother side ko.

Among other things, i found out i am related to a bishop sa Pinas :D
  • Anti_TotoyAnti_Totoy PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Like madame sa father's side ko, bombayen ang itsura. My father's surname is a common Pampanga last name, but there's an Indian variation. My father's parents were also tangos-ilong at kayumanggi. They came from Tarlac and moved to Pampanga during the war. It makes me wonder what kind of people lived in that region before that era. Like madame ba Bombay doon or somethng?

Kayo nacu-curious ba kayo sa lahing pinagmulan ninyo? Hinahanap-hanap niyo ba ang mga kamukha niyo tulad ni TDJakes? Where is he btw :rotflmao:

Also a lot of words in the Bahasa Malaysia language are like kapampangan and the speakers sound Kapampangan.

Eg, Keluar = Kilwal = outside
    Nasi = rice
    anak = anak (in kapampangan anak means bata or younger person, in Malay it means infant)
    nyaman = manyaman (masarap)
    jalan - dalan (street, Eg. Jalan Times, Times Street)

Yun na lang naalala ko pero marami talaga kesa sa tagalog pramisss

lahat tayo galing sa unggoy,yun ang pinagmulan nating lahat.
  • nikkilovenikkilove PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    no, ive learned from successful people, to just focus on the presnet and the future,

just learn the lessons of the past, but i was not told not to dwell in them.
  • pong_padourpong_padour PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Anti_Totoy wrote: »
    lahat tayo galing sa unggoy,yun ang pinagmulan nating lahat.

Kung lahat tayo galing sa unggoy...

... bakit may taong mukhang kabayo? :rotfl:
  • F-A SoldierF-A Soldier PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    There are several genetic tests you can take.

National Geo's Genographic 2.0 150 USD
    http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/browse/productDetail.jsp?npd&npd&productId=2003825&code=SR90002genographic&keyword=Genographic&gclid=CMijl8Wi1M0CFZA2aQodYUcI_g

23andMe 200 USD
    https://www.23andme.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search-Branded&utm_content=23c_Search_Paid_Brand&gclid=CMrL9-ii1M0CFQqsaQodAiQBNQ

Ancestry.com 99 USD
    http://dna.ancestry.com/?s_kwcid=23andme&gclid=CPHvhZ6j1M0CFYOBaQodkWIPNg&o_xid=55307&o_lid=55307&o_sch=Paid+Search+%e2%80%93+NonBrand

It's by no means perfect and no genetic test you can take will give you accurate because you really need to take close to all genetic tests x 2-3 generations---like your parents and your grandparents taking it too---to compare to get bigger result + genetic test's limitations eg mtDNA test won't show you anyone on your dad's side of the family or your mom's dad's side.

All you do in most of them is you get a packet and you spit in a cup and you send it to them and you get your results online. They have different matrices that interpret your data or you can load your data in different other online services that you can then upload (usually for a small fee) and they give you different interpretations. Ie if you care more about genetic risks rather than racial ancestry, you can upload it in a site that will show you risk factors for different disease in your genome for ten dollars.

As for "Kapampangan" well Kapampangan is actually unique to C. Luzon, they share same language group with Sambal (Pangasinan is also related to them but part of language related to Ilocano and Igorot languages while Tagalog and Bicolano supposedly came from the South ie distantly related to Visaya). And really you can't trace ancestry simply by language or culture, since you can learn language or culture...you could be 100% Aeta and you only speak Kapampangan (which is actually the case...ALL Aeta tribes in existence speak a language they borrowed from Austronesian Filipinos, and many of them are actually genetically close 50% Austronesian because of the mixing, with the exception of those in Zambales).

AS for Indones, Malay etc. what they teach Filipinos are INACCURATE and uses theories from 1950's (Otley Byer), many of which were already debunked in 1980's and in 1990's (lingustics) and latter 90's-2000's via genetics. The theory that Philippines were settled from the outside in, started way back in Spanish times (obviously none of which are scientific but supposition of priests that lived 1500-1600's) and then theories about it grew over the centuries.

It's actually the other way around. Filipinos (whose ancestry came from Taiwan, prior to which were from S. China and related thousands of years ago to the same ancestors of other SEAsians) settled Malaysia and Indonesia, parts of S. Vietnam and the Pacific. In fact there's a recent genetic test on Eastern Indonesia after they found out that significant amount of their blood was related to ancient Cambodians they tested the Austronesian side. They found out that Austronesian bits found there heavy traces of Negrito genetic markers, and since Negrito lineage is unique to the Philippines (Negritos were trapped in PI for 10's of thousands of years and created a unique genetic population) it could only mean that the Austronesian that settled Indonesia came from the PI.

This is a random generic Austronesian expansion map online (from Nature Magazine 2000):
    4051052aa.2.jpg

But for "Malay"/Behasa linguistic legacy, it may or may not be genetic (again language is learned). Malay is the language of trade in SEAsia and a few Malays settled in the Philippines (mostly in big cities or ports, ie the rulers of Manila vs. Tondo were from Brunei) but much of your ancestry MUST be native (ie Filipino) because even if a foreign chief settle in an area, they usually intermarry with the locals (it's very rare when foreigners supplant locals).

PS Kung matangos ilong mo ng genes niyo, eh baket hindi nasalin sayo?

:blowsmoke:

[#]BeautyByBelo[/#]
  • lol. all i can is i have 25% Chinese blood. it would be better if it were 50%. My grandfather on my mom side is 100% Chinese. My mom's mother is 50% Chinese/pinay. so my mom is 75% Chinese and married my dad. so my siblings and i are 25% Chinese blood. My middle name is supposed to be 'Go' and they changed it to another Chinese name! pede pala baguhin ang surname or middle name dati
  • How does that work? Guaranteed ba na merong result? I wanna try... Baka maharlika ka kaya documented ang family tree mo :lol:

Garantisado? Walang ganoon!

Madugong trabajo ang magsaliksik ng puno ng pamilya. Simulan mo kapanayamin ang mga nakatatanda sa inyo. Pagkatapos magsaliksik ka sa simbahan o munisipyo ng bayan ninyo sa mga birth o baptismal records ng mga ninuno mo. Magpunta ka rin sa simbahan ng mga Mormon at baka may micro-fish na naitago sa mga ninuno mo.

Good luck sa iyo!
    O ok akala ko it's an online service.

I've heard of 21andMe. It was mentioned in this Netflix documentary about these Korean twins separated at birth and adopted by differ to t families.

The service will also tell you what your ethnic components are. I'm sure my ethnicity isnt diverse enough. It'll most likely indicate that I'm mostly SE asian in a DNA ancestry test. Boringggg

@FA, pango nanay ko at malapad ilong ng tatay ko like Duterte and Mike Enriquez.

Can you summarize the essay? Does it say Malaysians are actually Filipinos? Their culture is somewhat more diverse,cause besides the Chinese the indentured Bombays also fled to Malaysia and Singapore a few centuries ago da ba? In fact Manglish/Malaysian English is a mixture of bahasa, Chinese, Tamil (indian) and so on. Anyway it's interesting to know that Malaysian/Indonesian sound a lot like my first language.
  • alchemistofophiralchemistofophir PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    may 23 and me ako at sabi doon may dugo akong iberian european, chinese, japanese at african.
  • F-A SoldierF-A Soldier PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    What essay? There were no such thing as "Malaysians" or "Filipinos" until the European came. But ancestry of Indonesians and Malaysians (esp. those in Borneo) at one point were from the Philippines.

Their culture is "more diverse" simply because there's institutional segregation in Malaysia/Singapore via British. Even today there's institutional segregation separating Malays and other ethnicity (including religious segregation). That's why there had been Chinese pogroms and why Tamils are heavily poor in Malaysia (al Jazeera released a video in YT two years ago why Indians are thugs and criminals and poor, and why police target them). Indonesia also suffered many Chinese pogroms and religious violence recently.

Last time there was a pogrom of Chinese in PI was early 1600's.

Philippines is actually MUCH more peaceful and in my opinion better adapted. For centuries people had been intermarrying and really most people despite different languages and ethnicity are simply Filipinos. Despite obviously there was institutional segregation/racism under the Spanish rule, that went away quickly after American era.

Except the fact that Pinoys what we call here in the states do the "IMCSF syndrome" ('I'm Chinese Spanish Filipino...' :glee:), generally they're just Pinoys really.

As for Kapampangan and Behasa being "closer" that's probably just your perception. Philippines languages (that include almost all PI languages and a few Indonesian, Bornean and Taiwanese ones) are actually tightly grouped... this linguistic grouping (ie the similarities of languages is very similar) are much more similar than per se other language families eg within Indonesia and Malaysia.

729px-Philippine_languages_map.svg.png

Malay language is only spread because of politics (why you see dots...those little areas on eastern Indonesia and Brunei because those are city-states that adopted the language) eg Sri Vijayan empire.

700px-Malayic_languages.svg.png

It's not uncommon for this to happen eg Jesus did not speak Hebrew---Hebrew then in many instances was used just like Latin is today, only liturgy----his ancestral language, they spoke Aramaic which is language of the region spread by merchants due to Assyrians----who themselves speak their own language. Herod (language of upper crust Levantines at that time) most likely spoke Greek while Pontius Pilate most likely spoke Latin . Other example Arabic (spread by Islam) etc.

In short, even those that speak "Malay" aren't Malays genetically (language is learned).

[#]NasiLemak[/#]
  • pusang_miyawpusang_miyaw PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Yes! Interested ako sa pinagmulan ko. I even made a family tree from my father side and even asked basic infos about them. May nakalap pa nga akong juicy issues from the past. Haha.

Someday gusto ko din magpa DNA test just to get deeper info about sa pinagmulan ko. Lol

What made me curious as well is because my father has a very strong East Asian looking trait (He is often mistaken a Japanese or a Chinese). Sa lahat ng magkakapatid, dalawa sa kanila yung mukhang from the Yellow Race (The first and the third son) despite my Grandma looking like the typical kayumanggi pinoy and my grandpa a dark skinned pinoy na matangos lang ang ilong than the average Pinoys.
    (Walang singkit sa kanila).

Anyway, I learned that the East Asian trait came from my Grandma's side. My great great grandma married a Chinese. I guess yung recessive genes lumabas sa tatay at tito ko. Lol

It's funny how my immediate family look like tuloy. Para kaming hinulma from Chinatown dahil sa tatay namin. People always ask us if we're like Chinese or half Chinese and we only say we're Pinoy. We don't even have a trace kahit sa apelyido like maybe may Ngo or Tan man lang sa lineage namin. Typical Spanish sounding surname. Ganun lang haha.

It's funny pa kung pano na scatter ng magulang namin yung mga traits nila.

Dad= Fair skinned, singkit
    Mom= Morena, big eyes
    Me= Fair skinned, big eyes
    Sister= Morena, singkit

Then my mom died when I was still a kid. Dad remarried.

Step mom= Morena, singkit
    Half bro= Moreno, singkit

So pag magkakasama kaming pamilya, I look adopted tuloy. LOL

----
    But for some very weird reason. Here abroad, yung mga puti, pinoys and even chinese mistaken me as chinese. Like several times ng may lalapit sakin sa train station or mall at kakausapin ako ng lenggwahe nila. There's even two elderly couples who dragged me and didnt believe that i couldnt understand them.

Seriously, that's a great mystery. Super pinagtatawanan pa ko ng pamilya ko at mga kaibigan pag kinikwento ko yun. Like they cant believe it. (Lagi kasi akong inaasar na malaking mata) pfffft. LOL

Now my partner looks very Chinese as well. - Fair skinned, singkit (actually my family said he looks like my dad. As in siya pa mapagkakamalang anak) hahaha

Another twist: My partner's family said I look like his mom (minus the eyes). And I can see the big similarity. Haha.

Joke nga namin pag nagkaanak kami. Ang magiging basehan lang kung sino ang kamukha e sa mata. Kung dilat daw or singkit. LOL
  • MoonStruckMoonStruck PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Certainly!

Our genealogy is very interesting and can well be a good material for a teleserye. :glee:

From my mother's side, they are more good looking literally because somewhere along the past, one of our ancestors was a mestizo who had a child with an local (an indio, that derogatory term we are called during the Spanish era).

I am more attuned to my father's side. His ancestry links to ethnic groups from the highlands. I look more like them than my mother's somewhat itsy bitsy Hispanic roots. There was a matriarch from our town who knew my grandparents. She said that I'm a spitting image of my grandmother.

I may just be emotional but I've always felt closer to home when up in the mountains. I'm not athletic but spelunking, trekking, and anything involving elevated grounds was a breeze for me even during the first try. In short, dugong taong bundok. :rotflmao: The explanation can be genetic, like a DNA from their ancestral roots which still flows to my blood to this day. Naks.
    I'm pretty sure I'm kapampangan from the get-go. My eyes are round but the Asian variation of round so mukha pa ring singket. Maitim ako but the lightskin type. I guess, morena? Maitim ako lately dahil nagbibibilad ako masyado...

Not really interested in my relatives. Just curious about how Kapampangan and Bahasa Mal/Ind are closely related more than Tagalog or any other Filipino language. There are a lot of words in Tagalog that are similar with Bahasa Mal/Ind, but they don't mean the same. For example, anak means son or daughter in Tagalog, in Kapampangan and Bahasa Mal/Ind it means young person. :lol:
  • MoonStruckMoonStruck PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^Yep, which is why there are a lot of Indians in the Malaysia/Indonesia region. The Indian cuisine had been adapted by the local Malaysians and Indonesians into their own cooking with some fusion such as curry in particular. [#]AsianFoodChannel[/#] I'm hungry all of a sudden. :glee:
  • katze_schmusekatze_schmuse PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    What essay? There were no such thing as "Malaysians" or "Filipinos" until the European came. But ancestry of Indonesians and Malaysians (esp. those in Borneo) at one point were from the Philippines.

Their culture is "more diverse" simply because there's institutional segregation in Malaysia/Singapore via British. Even today there's institutional segregation separating Malays and other ethnicity (including religious segregation). That's why there had been Chinese pogroms and why Tamils are heavily poor in Malaysia (al Jazeera released a video in YT two years ago why Indians are thugs and criminals and poor, and why police target them). Indonesia also suffered many Chinese pogroms and religious violence recently.

Last time there was a pogrom of Chinese in PI was early 1600's.

Philippines is actually MUCH more peaceful and in my opinion better adapted. For centuries people had been intermarrying and really most people despite different languages and ethnicity are simply Filipinos. Despite obviously there was institutional segregation/racism under the Spanish rule, that went away quickly after American era.

Except the fact that Pinoys what we call here in the states do the "IMCSF syndrome" ('I'm Chinese Spanish Filipino...' :glee:), generally they're just Pinoys really.
    [#]collonialmentality[/#]
    As for Kapampangan and Behasa being "closer" that's probably just your perception. Philippines languages (that include almost all PI languages and a few Indonesian, Bornean and Taiwanese ones) are actually tightly grouped... this linguistic grouping (ie the similarities of languages is very similar) are much more similar than per se other language families eg within Indonesia and Malaysia.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/13/Philippine_languages_map.svg/729px-Philippine_languages_map.svg.png

Malay language is only spread because of politics (why you see dots...those little areas on eastern Indonesia and Brunei because those are city-states that adopted the language) eg Sri Vijayan empire.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b5/Malayic_languages.svg/700px-Malayic_languages.svg.png

It's not uncommon for this to happen eg Jesus did not speak Hebrew---Hebrew then in many instances was used just like Latin is today, only liturgy----his ancestral language, they spoke Aramaic which is language of the region spread by merchants due to Assyrians----who themselves speak their own language. Herod (language of upper crust Levantines at that time) most likely spoke Greek while Pontius Pilate most likely spoke Latin . Other example Arabic (spread by Islam) etc.

In short, even those that speak "Malay" aren't Malays genetically (language is learned).

[#]NasiLemak[/#]

Such an ordeal reading a narrative like this:lol: choz lang FA..but yeah tama ka naman.parang ikaw lang din youre in the esteyts pero nagtatagalog ka:glee:

Ont: afaik grandpa from mother side is from isabela.his father is pure espaniol and mother is local..iyong partido ng nanay ko ang attribute nila ay iyong freckles sa dibdib at syempre thanks to my grandpa's nose hindi aketch pango:lol: iyong apelyido talaga hindi mo ikakailang espaniola.however iyong lola ko naman ay isang negra bandida:lol:
    SA fatherside naman , they came from tarlac and migrated sa Pangasinan after WW2. Singkit iyong lola ko sa fatherside so pag may singkit ang tawag sa kanila ay iyong apelyido ng lola ko.
    Sa combination ng genes ng parents naman iyong kulay nakuha talaga namin sa fatherside while iyong looks talagang Pinoy na Pinoy.
  • Mas curios pa ako sa family tree ng mga great Military Leaders nung araw like Alexander the Great and Napoleon Bonaparte. Napoleon is 2nd best Military Leader of all time in 1700

great great grand children
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Christophe,_Prince_Napol%C3%A9on
    sophiecatpn_1336774740_140.jpg
    [#]collonialmentality[/#]

Such an ordeal reading a narrative like this:lol: choz lang FA..but yeah tama ka naman.parang ikaw lang din youre in the esteyts pero nagtatagalog ka:glee:

Ont: afaik grandpa from mother side is from isabela.his father is pure espaniol and mother is local..iyong partido ng nanay ko ang attribute nila ay iyong freckles sa dibdib at syempre thanks to my grandpa's nose hindi aketch pango:lol: iyong apelyido talaga hindi mo ikakailang espaniola.however iyong lola ko naman ay isang negra bandida:lol:
    SA fatherside naman , they came from tarlac and migrated sa Pangasinan after WW2.ang lastname nila ay apelyido ng kilalang familia doon. Singkit iyong lola ko sa fatherside so pag may singkit ang tawag sa kanila ay iyong apelyido ng lola ko.
    Sa combination ng genes ng parents naman iyong kulay nakuha talaga namin sa fatherside while iyong looks talagang Pinoy na Pinoy.

I only checked Concepcion, Tarlac. Alin kaya dito?
    The second group who took refuge up North comprised the Santoses, Laxamanas, Salvadors, Yumuls, Castros, Dizons, Pinedas, Felicianos, Aquinos, Corteses, Bermudezes, Perezes, Punsalangs and many others,

Ang e-elite ng mga pusa dito ah. Si Pusang Miyaw may lahing incheckz, si Katze, may lahing Espaniol. Goddamnnn
  • SAMSAYSAMSAY PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Mas curios pa ako sa family tree ng mga great Military Leaders nung araw like Alexander the Great and Napoleon Bonaparte. Napoleon is 2nd best Military Leader of all time in 1700

great great grand children
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Christophe,_Prince_Napol%C3%A9on
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/avatars/sophiecatpn_1336774740_140.jpg

Takot ka ba sa pinagmulan mo???
    Ito ang katotohanan

Family Tree ni Dcky Girl
    Tae ng Kalabaw > Dcky Girl

----

Ako din curious.
    Marami nag sasabi muka daw akong espanyol.. Siguro sa height, tangos ng ilong at bullbuling dibdib at muka.
    Pati gifted daw ako sa dinadala.
    Purong pinoy naman ako.
    hindi ko din makita sarili ko na mukang espanyol :glee:

[#]NapaisipTuloyAko[/#]