COMMUNITY NOTICE: Please send your reports, concerns and other inquiries to admin "pexer99". This account will handle all community functions for PinoyExchange. You can also email us at [email protected] For category related concerns, you can also send a message to one of our moderators. Check the updated list of moderators here.

Taiwan: The Heart of Asia

resisusresisus Don Lakwatsador ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Travel and Leisure
WELCOME TO THE PEX Taiwan Guide

Taiwan - The Heart of Asia

Basic Information

Capital: Taipei
Population: 23,3 million
Area: 36,188 sq km (13,972 sq miles)
Major languages: Mandarin Chinese (official), Min Nan Chinese (Taiwanese), Hakka
Major religions: Taoism, Buddhism, Christianity
Life expectancy: 76.2 years (men), 82.7 years (women)
Currency: New Taiwan Dollar
Electricity: 110V, 60HZ (US plug type)
Country code: +886
Time Zone: UTC+8
Weather: Spring (March to May), Summer (June - August), Autumn (September - November) and Winter (December - February)

• officially the Republic of China (ROC), is a state in East Asia
• formerly known as "Formosa"
• originally based in mainland China, the ROC has since 1945 governed the island of Taiwan
• neighboring states include the People's Republic of China (mainland China) to the west, Japan to the east and northeast, and the Philippines to the south
• was mainly inhabited by Taiwanese aborigines until the Dutch and Spanish settlement during the Age of Discovery in the 17th century, when Han Chinese began immigrating to the island
• The Minguo (民國) calendar is commonly used in Taiwan
• The best time of year to visit is from October - December, although the occasional typhoons can spoil the fun. Spring is also nice, although it rains more than during autumn.

The official website of the Republic of China:

http://www.taiwan.gov.tw/

Applying for a Taiwan Visa

• Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in the Philippines
• How to Apply for a Taiwan Tourist Visa (for Filipinos)
• Visa Requirements for Philippine Passport Holders – Taiwan

First Thread
Anyone Who Has Been To TAIWAN?

Travel-related blogs about Taiwan

• Travel in Taiwan by luomujie
• Taiwan - Lonely Planet

Festivals

• Chinese New Year (春節) - the most important festival for the Taiwanese and many shops and restaurants close on the first three days so it is not an ideal time to visit
• Ching Ming Festival (清明節) - many Taiwanese would pay respects at their ancestors' graves
• Dragon Boat Festival (端午節) - honours Qu Yuan, a patriotic official from the state of Chu during the Warring States period of Chinese history who committed suicide by jumping into a river when Chu was conquered by Qin
• Hungry Ghost Festival (中元節) - runs throughout the seventh month of the Chinese calendar. It is believed that the gates of hell open during this period and hungry ghosts are allowed to roam freely into our world
• Mid-Autumn Festival (中秋節) - many lanterns will be put up for decoration in various parks and shops, which is quite a beautiful sight. Mooncakes are also eaten on this day so it would be an ideal time to try some

Regions

• Northern Taiwan (Hsinchu, Hsinchu County, Keelung, New Taipei, Taipei, Taoyuan County, Yilan County, Yangmingshan National Park)
• Central Taiwan (Changhua County, Miaoli County, Nantou County, Sun Moon Lake and Taichung)
scenic mountains and lakes and major national parks
• Eastern Taiwan (Hualien County, Taitung County, Taroko Gorge, Hualien, Taitung) natural beauty
• Southern Taiwan (Kaohsiung, Tainan, Chiayi County, Pingtung County, Yunlin County)
• Outlying Islands (Green Island, Kinmen, Matsu, Orchid Island, Penghu)

Getting Around Taiwan

HSR
MRT
Train
Bus

Comments

• analyzemeanalyzeme Member PExer
    Has anyone tried the "Buy 5-Day Express Joint Pass
    "?https://www.thsrc.com.tw/event/2013/...ayExpress.html
  • Tom JerryTom Jerry Member PExer
    Your shared post is rally informative for all those who love travelling like me and hopefully they would like to go for it and have fun to see this Heart of Asia to have fun and explore something different there. I will think about it seriously.
  • JamaimaJamaima Member PExer
    Here I am going to say that you guys have hared nice information about the Taiwan which is called the Heart of Asia. I have no idea about it because I have never been there till yet. After reading the first post, I think it will truly a glorious place for the travelers and I will plan to go there in future.
  • resisusresisus Don Lakwatsador ✭✭
    Jamaima wrote: »
    Here I am going to say that you guys have hared nice information about the Taiwan which is called the Heart of Asia. I have no idea about it because I have never been there till yet. After reading the first post, I think it will truly a glorious place for the travelers and I will plan to go there in future.

Taiwan really is a nice place. Keep in mind that language barrier do exist in the country. Nonetheless, Taiwanese people will find a way to help you even though they can't communicate well using English.
  • nikkilovenikkilove Member ✭✭✭
    How difficult is the language barrier?

Were planning kasi for a trip there, whole family including some cousins amd grandparents.

Nagulat kasi kami sa mura ng airfare.

Kelangan din ng visa dito di ba?

Question sa pwede makasagot,gano ang weight ng Taiwan tourist pag nagapply ng tourist visa like Australia, Canada and US?

One China policy ba touring ng mga embassies nato sa Taiwan.l?

Salamat sa makakasagot.
  • biojessicbiojessic Member ✭✭
    ^Language barrier is not that difficult compared to China (People's Republic) pero more difficult than say Hong Kong or Singapore, imo. But Taiwanese people are the nicest of the Chinese ethnicity (sorry)!
  • count_olaf22count_olaf22 colon capital D PExer
    MANGO SNOWFLAKE ICE is heaven!!!!
    nikkilove wrote: »
    How difficult is the language barrier?

Kelangan din ng visa dito di ba?

Question sa pwede makasagot,gano ang weight ng Taiwan tourist pag nagapply ng tourist visa like Australia, Canada and US?

Compared to Singapore, mas hirap sila pero they will find a way to help you kahit hirap na sila. Saka kung merong ibang Taiwanese, they will still help you. May magta-translate. I agree, they are one of the nicest.

Yes, kailangan ng visa. Hindi ko na-grasp ang question mo regarding visa pero exempted ang passport holder na may valid visa from Australia, Canada, US, Japan and New Zealand.
  • pit bullpit bull Fafable PExer
    MANGO SNOWFLAKE ICE is heaven!!!!

Yes, it was surprisingly good.
    25414040833_2c784d2757_c.jpg
  • blaziiingblaziiing Member ✭✭✭✭
    pit bull wrote: »

Is this their version of bingsu?
  • joshemirjoshemir #BeaverTraveler ✭✭✭
    Anong dapat ivisit sa Taipei pag day trip lang?
  • amai_koibitoamai_koibito sweet Lover PExer
    Just arrived in Taipei. Ang tahimik sa labas at 3:20am, puro taxi at limo available. Antay nalang ako mag umaga para sa ibang public transport.

Question po, pupunta ako ng Ximending station dun sa area na iyon from Taoyuan airport anong mas convenient HSR (airport to bangiao then take blue line train to Ximen)? Or by bus? Actually diko alam ang bus...
    blaziiing wrote: »
    Is this their version of bingsu?

I guess yes, they do look similar.
    25743657020_3e4f84fa4b_c.jpg

Smoothie House
  • ClaskoClasko Member ✭✭
    My trip was last week. Sobrang nabitin ako huhuhuhu
    Just arrived in Taipei. Ang tahimik sa labas at 3:20am, puro taxi at limo available. Antay nalang ako mag umaga para sa ibang public transport.

Question po, pupunta ako ng Ximending station dun sa area na iyon from Taoyuan airport anong mas convenient HSR (airport to bangiao then take blue line train to Ximen)? Or by bus? Actually diko alam ang bus...

Prefer ko yung bus from Airport to Taipei Main Station then train to Ximen. Enjoy!
  • klpinoyklpinoy Member
    Hi pinoyexchange, pa post ko lang po meron po akong car, van and buses for rent sa Taiwan. Kung meron pong group sa inyo na need po ng transportation all over taiwan you can contact me. No need for deposit or advance payment po. All are payable in Taiwan in Taiwan dollars.

Please see my contacts. Malaysia based po ako but i have expanded my team in Taiwan.

Viber/Whatsapp: +6017322 8535 (Malaysia)
    Viber/ Whatsapp: +63917 5129379 (Philippines)
    Email: [email protected]
    Like my fb: www.facebook.com/klpinoytravelandtours

I can help you to arrange your tour. Guaranteed po lower than registered travel agency in Philippines or in Taiwan.

Clasko wrote: »
    My trip was last week. Sobrang nabitin ako huhuhuhu

Prefer ko yung bus from Airport to Taipei Main Station then train to Ximen. Enjoy!

I agree with Clasko. Mas ok kung sumakay ka nalang ng bus. Mas mahal kasi ang HSR saka ilang oras lang naman from Taoyuan kaso sabi mo nga convenience ang habol mo so HSR ang better.

Bitin din ako sa 3 days. 2 days lang ako sa Taipei and 1 day sa Taichung. Sobrang bitin! I am considering going back again soon pag may ME Japan visa na ako.
    joshemir wrote: »
    Anong dapat ivisit sa Taipei pag day trip lang?

Marami kang mapupuntahan.
    You can go to Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall, Taipei 101, Ximending, etc. I suggest you go to a place na within reach lang yung ibang tourist spots so you can cover more tourist attractions.
  • ClaskoClasko Member ✭✭
    resisus wrote: »
    I agree with Clasko. Mas ok kung sumakay ka nalang ng bus. Mas mahal kasi ang HSR saka ilang oras lang naman from Taoyuan kaso sabi mo nga convenience ang habol mo so HSR ang better.

Bitin din ako sa 3 days. 2 days lang ako sa Taipei and 1 day sa Taichung. Sobrang bitin! I am considering going back again soon pag may ME Japan visa na ako.

Kami 5 days pero bitin talaga. And to think Jiufen yung pinakamalayong napuntahan namin. There's so much more places to go to

I wanna go back pero on cooler months naman
  • joshemirjoshemir #BeaverTraveler ✭✭✭
    resisus wrote: »
    Marami kang mapupuntahan.
    You can go to Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall, Taipei 101, Ximending, etc. I suggest you go to a place na within reach lang yung ibang tourist spots so you can cover more tourist attractions.

Thanks @Resisus. Wala ako plan talaga ivisit ang Taipei, kaso may nakita akong MNL-YYZ flight na may 13 hours na layover sa Taipei (6:00am to 7:00pm), so parang okey din siguro to kung may magandang day trip iti. Salamat let.
  • amai_koibitoamai_koibito sweet Lover PExer
    Ang sarap ng mango ice cream sa 89th floor ng Taipei 101
    I'm reposting links of my trip report from the old thread for your reference. Click the pics for details
    Our total expense, March 4-9, 2015 2 pax
    NT28,000 (P42,000) for 2 pax. This includes the NT7,200 accommodation at Inn Cube (5 nights) but excludes our airfare and travel tax. Shopping and pasalubong at approx NT12,000 so around NT9,000 went to our transpo and food but it's really mostly food.

Part 1
    25566701091_c212abf15e_c.jpg

Part 2
    25899397476_d50a5873f5_c.jpg

Part 3
    25743661070_335d3375dd_c.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file