Home PEx Local Entertainment Showbiz - TV

[DISCUSSION] Local TV Series/Teleserye Programming/Format & Schedules

Which TV series programming format do you prefer & why?

a.) Local style of everyday teleseryes spanning minimum 4 months to 1 year plus of episodes (depends on ratings)
b.) US/American programming of weekly series with 45 minutes per episode with 25 to 30 episodes per season with a mid-season break in between.
c.) Korean programming of Twice A Week series with 50 minutes per episode with episodes minimum of 20 or even beyond depends on the ratings and call of TV network.

Comments

• JeSuisBillyJeSuisBilly A Better Me! PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    Which TV series programming format do you prefer & why?

a.) Local style of everyday teleseryes spanning minimum 4 months to 1 year plus of episodes (depends on ratings)
    b.) US/American programming of weekly series with 45 minutes per episode with 25 to 30 episodes per season with a mid-season break in between.
    c.) Korean programming of Twice A Week series with 50 minutes per episode with episodes minimum of 20 or even beyond depends on the ratings and call of TV network.

Gusto ko sana, if it were to be implemented, a mix of B and C.

Pwede i-try ang twice-a-week series with 16-24 episodes, then if the overall response is great/phenomenal/bombastic, pwede i-renew for season 2, then it can be replaced with another twice-a-week series prior to the second season and so on.

One for Monday-Tuesday, another for Wednesday-Thursday.

Friday should be dedicated to anthologies (other than MMK or Magpakailanman) that will showcase the exceptional talent of legendary actors and promising thespians.
    Pwede ibalik ang Star Drama Theater (for ABS-CBN) tsaka Spotlight or Larawan or SRO Cinemaserye (for GMA).

Then ang kasunod naman ng mga ganito sa timeslot.... comedy shows of course, para similar lang sa 90s primetime programming natin. or put a variety show every Wednesday and weekly comedy shows naman on each of the other weeknight late primetime slots.

Monday - comedy show 1
    Tuesday - comedy show 2
    Wednesday - variety show
    Thursday - comedy show 3
    Friday - comedy show 4
  • JKarloThomasJKarloThomas PEx Rookie ⭐
    Sana once or twice a week lang mga palabas sa primetime
    Kaya weekend lang ako nanonood ng local tv eh, nakakaumay kaya :rotflmao:

Pero never yang mangyayari kasi alam naman natin ang mga network sa Pinas hangga't pwedeng pahabain pahahabain hanggang pumangit na yung storyline.

Tapos sana tanggalin na nila mga korning hashtag gabi gabi pwee :lol::lol:
  • Yeah, I know as of now malabo ito mangyari. But in a way na-open ang discussion about local tv programming dito sa Pilipinas.

I just hope this discussion spread here eventually.
    I mean don't tell me, walang pakialam ang mga adik sa Pinoy Teleserye?
    Makapanood lang eh ok na? Kitang-kita 2 PExers lang nagreply sa topic na ito.

I hope din makarating din ito sa mga insider ng mga TV networks or better yet some of them working from TV Networks can discuss it here too...

Kasi yung current programming natin ngayon or for the longest time ay naka-stagnant na yung viewing habit. Parang dictated ba. So sa ngalan lang ng ratings, marketing at profit?
    Yeah, I know as of now malabo ito mangyari. But in a way na-open ang discussion about local tv programming dito sa Pilipinas.

I just hope this discussion spread here eventually.
    I mean don't tell me, walang pakialam ang mga adik sa Pinoy Teleserye?
    Makapanood lang eh ok na? Kitang-kita 2 PExers lang nagreply sa topic na ito.

I hope din makarating din ito sa mga insider ng mga TV networks or better yet some of them working from TV Networks can discuss it here too...

Kasi yung current programming natin ngayon or for the longest time ay naka-stagnant na yung viewing habit. Parang dictated ba. So sa ngalan lang ng ratings, marketing at profit?

I think dadami rin ang maglalagay rito ng saloobin nila sa TV Programming suggestions. Go lang!

Follow na sana ng networks ang suggestion ko above re: programming, though dapat unti-unti munang i-implement para ma-adjust ang viewers.
  • dryedmangoezdryedmangoez PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    First of all, when it comes to teleserye production, I think there needs to be set series orders with limited (if any) extensions. If a series will run 10 or 13 weeks, it'll run 10 or 13 weeks. Not 60 weeks. No show has creatively progressed or gotten better, ever, past it's originally planned story. I know there's the "It's business!" argument. But lack of creativity and originality (which is stifled by shows running for months/years) ultimately hurts the bottom line too when viewers eventually tune out.

As for scheduling, commercial time needs to be controlled so shows start and end at the same time every day. Otherwise, what's the point in shifting schedules and format when commercial breaks and show lengths are out of control.

Now, I think TV5 is the most likely to try something different since they have the most freedom to do whatever they want and they don't have a set format, or at least one that has stuck.
    They tried previously with their 13-episode weekly dramas (For Love or Money and Positive) and paired daily Wattpad episodes + TARPH/Regular Teleseryes with PBA/movies. But the lack of retings progress was more on TV5 being TV5 than on the scheduling, really.

I think Korea's broadcast primetime is good, something like: 2 Daily Teleseryes - Biweekly or weekly drama/comedy

Using TV5's current/past line-up as an example, my ideal schedule would go something like:
    6pm Aksyon

M/W/F
    7pm Weekly Reality/Comedy
    8pm Weekly Drama
    T/Th
    7pm PBA or Movies

9pm Teleserye 1
    9:30pm Teleserye 2 or CW Philippines
    10pm/10:15pm Aksyon Tonite
    10:30pm/10:45pm Reaksyon

or

6pm Aksyon
    7pm Teleserye 1/Wattpad Presents
    7:30pm Teleserye 2

M/W/F
    8pm Comedy/Light Drama Series (M)/The Amazing Race Philippines 3 ;) (W)/Drama Anthology? (F)
    9pm Limited Series/Miniseries (M)/Renewable Drama Series (W)/HAPPinas HappyHour (F)
    T/Th
    8pm PBA/Movie Max 5

10pm CW Philippines
    10:45pm Aksyon Tonite
    11:15pm Reaksyon

-TV5 would need to strike a deal with the PBA to have "featured" primetime games scheduled on Tuesdays and Thursdays only. I saw that Panday and "Why Are the Clouds Thin?" would air random days of the week depending on the PBA schedule.
    -The Limited Series/Miniseries slot would be for set 13 (Korean 16?) episode series
    -The Renewable Series slot would be for continuing drama series, maybe a procedural-type show. A Law & Order-type crime show or a fantasy procedural like Supernatural (one of TV5's most watched shows!).
  • etxeteraetxetera PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I agree TV5 ang may strong possibility na mag-experiment if they hit it big in rating at maging gamechanger dun lang magbabago ang format ng 2 big station like nung time ng Marimar na umiksi ng di oras ang newscast at nabago ang primetime programming. Pero now balik sa dati sa kasawa ng forever na teleserye one after another ever ang peg ng 2 major station for primetime. But the problem with TV5 up to now walang mahusay na nahawak ng entertainment dept nila. Nung time ni Percy puro travel inatupag waley pinalitan waley pa din itong latest waley pa din. They need to find a Freddie Garcia because they have the funds and support in funds of MVP. .
  • Kasi sa tingin ko nakakasama at some point sa parte ng viewers yung araw-araw na nakatutok sa teleserye. Lalo na kung maganda ang palabas. Sa totoo lang may ibang buhay at oras ang viewers aside sa panonood ng TV.

Sa current format kasi parang ine-encourage (indirectly) nila ang tao na "tumutok" sa palabas ng network. Although TV networks can say, "what's our fault? it's their choice to watch or not. If our programming are destroying their daily routine, it's the viewer's discretion not ours." But deep inside they want to as much as possible more viewers to their shows.

Pag naging once a week or bi-weekly ang isang series, viewers have this "free time" in their primetime routine. They can do other much productive things aside sa pagtutok sa kanilang favorite show. At the same time wala silang "worries". Like, "sayang di ko siya mapapanood (araw-araw kasi eh)".

Yeah may iWantTV pero not all are capable of having it no matter how cheap it is. Also Binge Watching is not that well-established here in our country yet. Let's say magkaroon dito ng Binge Watching, hindi lahat makaka-afford nito. So talo ang masang viewers.

Is it culture-driven ang program viewing habits or tv network driven? Probably the type of shows are culture-driven but what about programming?

How come in the USA and Korea or other countries able to apply a weekly/bi-weekly tv series? Saka by moving away from the local-style everyday format it could save production time & cost sa mga producers ng show.

Remember that after Direk Wenn Deramas' death, the issue of TV networks non-compliance of 12-hour working time of showbiz personnels surfaces. So by changing our local programming may malaking chance na magkaroon matinong timetable or leadtime for a program's conceptualization, storyboards, brainstorming, workshop etc. Even timetable ng mga shootings maaayos. In turn may matinong rest time ang mga production staff kasama na ang mga artista kahit papaano. A better working environment.

Sa nakikita ko kasing working environment ng mga kapwa natin sa entertainment industry eh lagare. Simula direktor, writers, camera man, etc. hanggang sa artista. Lalo na nung nabalita yung "This Time" na movie ng JaDine, na gagawin lang within a month or two. I was like, "WTF?" seryoso. I'm not saying TV shows and movies today are garbage. But i think it will be much better in terms of content given a proper lead time on everything.

TV5 is known for "counter-programming" style. Especially when Willie Revillame aired his variety show. Pero nagbago ang ihip ng hangin after the "Macho Dancer" incident. And the rest is history. Good thing dahil they have PBA, talagang may weekly series sila to experiment on their programming. TV5 have balls in gambling much. Unlike GMA and ABS-CBN that afraid to change their formulas for the sake of business.

I do hope my ideas gave a bit of good perspective regarding the topic at hand.
    I would love to see series fully produced and ready to go before their premiere date. Yung talagang, they've fully realized the story, have filmed everything they need and can edit episodes and fix anything that needs fixing before it goes on-air.

Not like now where shows are actually taping week of airing, if not DAY OF airing. WTF?! Kahit nga sa movies. Yung mga MMFF movies for example, week before Christmas, meron pa filming and dubbing? Other movies, meron na trailer and release date, but they're still filming 1-2 weeks before it reaches theaters. Why?!

So deathzero23, it's a good point about changing programming format/types could also lead to better quality productions and better work environments. Both problems in today's Philippine TV and film.

And etxetera, to your point. MVP seems very hands off to TV5. He throws money at the network and his underlings, but doesn't keep them in check. Which is why TV5 has lost ground the last year or two instead of gaining ground.

TV5's counter-programming strategy was and still is the right thing to do, but ABS-CBN and GMA have at least one thing TV5 has not had since their transition from ABC. And that's stability in management and vision. TV5 started off strong. Willie was a big help, but even post-Willie, TV5 maintained respectable numbers. But the revolving door of entertainment heads basically led to TV5 switching gears and starting over whenever someone new came in. And now it appears TV5 was better off with its 50/50 in-house/outsourcing entertainment production than handing their network over to Viva who seem to know even less about how to program a network.

When American broadcast networks change programming chiefs, they don't just overhaul every year if things don't work. They take what does work and build around those programs. TV5 has not successfully used the PBA to help the rest of the network, while they failed to take care of their shows that did work and are now gone.

I think ABS-CBN and GMA definitely suffer from complacency. ABS-CBN more than GMA since they enjoy broader success. Which is why GMA maybe tries new things a little more than ABS, but definitely still afraid to risk something truly different. Or when they do try something fresh and new, they easily give up on it or don't put in the effort needed.
    mabasa sana ito ng mga nasa management ng networks....

so that TV Programming will be improved!
    Wala kinalaman yung death ni Wenn Deramas sa issue of TV networks non-compliance of 12-hour working time of showbiz personnel. It's just a classic example of ganid just like the death of others if you dig deeper the root cause and real story behind. Its always a person's choice to overwork or not in whatever industry.

ABS ay stick sa tried and tested nilang formula na loveteam at romance. Mapaserye or movie. Liit puhunaman laki kita. When I saw the Darna trailer I was WOW mag-eexperiment na sa wakas ng ibang genre ang SC but di naman umusad usad anong petsa na. Baka naman lola na si Angel di pa natuloy-tuloy.

GMA's forte is telefantasaya but putok na ang bubble burst nito. I'm 50-50 if the return of Encantadia can pull primetime up lalo at puro da who at wala hatak majority ng casting. They are experimenting on comedy lately like itong current Heart at Dennis na naughty rather than make them do the traditional drama. So far okay naman pero I won't say its a hit. The last hit nila na pinag-usapan talaga is my MHL pa. I'm wishing ng sumikat ang Aldub at kainitan before na mag-allot ang GMA ng slot kahit 1 hour for daily primetime na iba ibang show everyday at 1 slot for Aldub. Its the best way na sumundot at basagin ang tradisyonal na buong gabing paligsahan ng teleserye with ABS. Kay lang aside sa ayaw ipahiram si Yaya mukhang wala naman balak ang GMA magbago ng programming style. Lately nagpasok nga sila ng comedy shows kaso puro bastos ng late night so wala ring kwenta.

Wala bang pag-asang mabuhay ang PTV4 :p
  • scout_yellowscout_yellow PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Uso kasi sa Pilipinas ang tingi-tingi :lol:

Thank you for opening this topic. There have been individuals who have shared this same sentiment regarding our local programming schedule, myself included. The quality of our television shows is definitely sacrificed with this kind of set up. Also, the health of the cast and crew are also sacrificed greatly.

With the options you have given, I prefer the US programming for the evening block. Airing a show once a week will give them more time for post-production and even more time promoting each episode. It will also be nice if our local networks will give more time for pre-production as well, since I have heard that one month of writing a script for a movie is already long (I am not sure how long they write scripts for daily dramas). I think a quality script is also needed. And yes, extensions should be rare. Some fans do not understand that extension also means a crappy storyline for their favorite dramas. Instead of an extension, perhaps just develop a second season for that show so they have time to think of a better storyline. And the next season should be aired the following year or at least more than 6 months after the last episode.

I think they can keep the afternoon block schedule as it is. Not sure, are there still animes shown around 4 to 5pm? If not, perhaps they should bring this back.

I also suggest a variety of genres on the primetime block.

6pm – Evening News
    7pm – Game Show/Reality Show (can be shown twice a week each then another similar show on a Friday)
    8pm – Drama / Romantic Comedy / Fantasy / Thriller / Science Fiction / Action / Book Adaptation
    9pm – Korean / Japanese / Thai / Chinese Drama
    10pm – Comedy (Sitcom, Sexy, Gag, Dark, Parody, etc.)
    10:30pm – Late Evening News
    11pm – News and Public Affair Show (Documentary, Debate, Travel, etc.)

The networks can encourage small companies to develop mini-series or full series then buy the series from these small companies.

By the way, I am only talking about the Weekday schedule. Weekend schedule has a whole different potential. :lol:
    sana pag may variety na again ang Primetime Block, pwede na ang mala-Music Bank or Inkigayo na weekly variety show for Primetime :D
    sana pag may variety na again ang Primetime Block, pwede na ang mala-Music Bank or Inkigayo na weekly variety show for Primetime :D

Basically ASAP and SAS/Party P/SOP? Or some SNL-rip off like Sunday Pinasaya? :lol:
    With Music Bank or Inkigayo, there's so little local singers or groups there's no point for a pure music program like that other than the same Sunday "music show" aka "network promo show" :glee:
    Perfect for our discussion here!

Mother Lily of Regal disappointed over MMFF's new ruling
    http://www.pep.ph/guide/movies/23812/mother-lily-of-regal-disappointed-over-mmffs-new-ruling
    “Ang kultura [yung mga moviegoers], hindi yung mga pang-Cannes Film Fest, di ba?”

So MMFF film entries must be fully produced in order to be considered for inclusion? THAT'S AWESOME! Like we've talked about, it's insane how films and TV shows are still in production WEEK OF release.

And if you read Mother Lily's comments in the article, she's upset and against such changes. Her view is definitely one widely held in the industry. And it's a view that should definitely change.
  • That's just Mother Lily's ego.
    The new rules eliminates or decrease chance of film making to be rushed. Let's admit it, may kultura tayo na laging last minute saka nagka-cramming.

As for genre, "Christmas is for fun"?
    Fun is a subjective word. Best operative word would be "enjoy"
    It's time level up.

I don't have anything against Mother Lily and especially Vic Sotto personally.
    Institution na sila. Pero yung kaladed ng pelikula nila lalo na si Bossing ay basura.
    Best example would be "My Little Bossings".

Mas panonoorin ko pa ang Ninja Turtles kesa dun kung which better brainless movie to watch. Yun lang.. I-level up ang MMFF saka gawing equal ang playing field. At di na maulit yung sa Honor Thy Father.
    But come on Christmas is for families and children hindi manonood ang Pinoy ng mga pelikulang pang Cannes ang quality papatayin mo ang local movie industry :shrug: Ang masang Pinoy mapatawa mo lang at mapakilig masaya na and not after sa QUALITY at storyline.

Kung after ang MMFF sa quality ibalik nila ang fimfest ng June dun yung mga quality offering na pasa sa kokonting manonood na ito ang habol. Give December to the masa but sana isama sa criteria na dapat may halos Pinoy values at Christmas sana ang tema ng entries ang prob kung iilang producer ang mag comply :bop:

It's very rare for our local producers na maka come up ng movie na good mix of entertaining yet of quality like Heneral Luna.
    But those new rules don't necessarily mean only sex and violent indie films will play at MMFF. Vic Sotto and Vice Ganda can still make their lowbrow movies, they just have to actually finish them sooner than the day before Christmas.
  • I think Di naman kelangan punuin ng mala-"Cannes" quality film ang MMFF.. May punto, hindi kikita ng malaki ang MMFF which the festivals main objective. Secondary objective na lang nila ang mag-promote ng quality films.

But I doubt it. Mahirap baguhin ng mabilisan ang lumang kultura ng manonood.

I think bukod sa mga Cinemalaya, CinemaOne original, etc.. Dapat gawan ng month long festival yung mga matitino at quality made films. MMFF sa December yung isa na pang quality films eh July. Hirap kasi sa mga producer gusto kumita agad. Pwede bang sa loob ng isang taon ay may pera sila na pwede ipa-lugi man lang? Calculated loss man lang.

Saka yung mga pang-Cannes ba eh pang-high level IQ of viewership ba? Lahat ba ng Cannes film eh masakit sa ulo? I don't think so naman.
  • scout_yellowscout_yellow PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Regarding the MMFF issue, I think it is best that they have more time to do post-production so the new rules will be an advantage in the long run; because it will also encourage them to make a more “quality” film. The stories don’t have to be mindboggling or dry and slow moving films. I don’t think they should isolate the masa audience but rather they should also give the other audience different options other than “masa” movies. Also, it will give other film outfits a chance to join the MMFF which has a wider audience than Cinemalaya and CinemaOne Orginals.

The Pito-Pito movies should be in the past na. :lol: Halata kapag rushed ang isang pelikula. Isang bagay na napansin ko sa Filipino movies ay yung editing. Hindi ganun ka-smooth ang editing ng movies natin. Kaya kung ang requirement ay tapos na ang pelikula bago ito maisama sa Film Festival, I am hoping that the post production will also be polished by the time they submit their entries.

Alam kong meron din issue sa tax and expensive equipment sa movie industry natin kaya ganyan ang kalakaran, pero ibang issue pa yun. :lol:
    Also, it will give other film outfits a chance to join the MMFF which has a wider audience than Cinemalaya and CinemaOne Orginals.
    Really??? Weh kung di nakulong si Bong di nawala slot ng Imus tapos isa M-Zet isa SC isa Regal pero pag separate movie ni Vice at Krissy 2 slots ang SC so ilan na lang natira tapos ang gulangan sa hatian ng sinehan kung sila bossing na bully at dagdag bawas what more pa ang maliliit na producer. First time sa history na di nilabas ang kita at daily breakdwon dahil may napahiya at halatang halatang dinoktor. The main stream movie industry is monopolized by SC and so is the starbuilding :naughty:

AND even tvc's monopolized nila no matter how popular at dami ng tvc ng Aldub, product companies bows down to their ruling na di pede pagsamahin ang dalawa sa tvcs ng station at piranggot lang only TNT ang lumaban at di pumayag cut ang tvc the rest lumuhod lahat maipalabas lang sa station nagsigawa ng solo ga-second version. Only shows how powerful the network is.