FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

Two Master's degree?

Hello, I graduated in UP with a degree in Mathematics and I wanted to focus my career in the finance industry. Anyway, I plan to take a Master's degree in Financial Engineering in NTU (Nanyang Technological University) located in Singapore. Unfortunately, I didn't do well in my undergrad, around 2.3 lang overall GWA ko. I am assuming that I am going to have a difficulty entering grad school abroad with that profile.

Now, would it be wise if I take an MS degree here in the Philippines then after completion apply for a master's degree abroad? I am also opting for a second degree, but the finances would be difficult.

Comments

• extranjeroextranjero Member ✭✭
    If you look at UK schools on the entry requirement for Filipinos, they do require that we do our masters first. I think this has something to do with our 10 years of basic education (lacking 2 more years).

And thus, getting a masters will help you in applying for an international masters. Work experience is also a big plus. If you are already in the industry for quite sometime, then highlight those in your application.
  • kelunjikelunji Member ✭✭✭
    Hello, I graduated in UP with a degree in Mathematics and I wanted to focus my career in the finance industry. Anyway, I plan to take a Master's degree in Financial Engineering in NTU (Nanyang Technological University) located in Singapore. Unfortunately, I didn't do well in my undergrad, around 2.3 lang overall GWA ko. I am assuming that I am going to have a difficulty entering grad school abroad with that profile.

Now, would it be wise if I take an MS degree here in the Philippines then after completion apply for a master's degree abroad? I am also opting for a second degree, but the finances would be difficult.

The only reason you need to get an MS in the Philippines to enter a foreign grad school is as pointed out, is due to our limitation of a 12-year basic education program pre-K12. Actually you only need to attend the MS/MA program, you don't need to finish it (complication pa yan kung tatapusin mo).
  • Hi, what if you took your second undergrad degree which added another 2 years of studies, would it be possible to be accepted in a foreign school for master's? Thanks.
  • nikkilovenikkilove Member ✭✭✭
    a lot of us pursued our masters and doctorate degrees in PT,  in the states, and our basic ed was never an issue.

not sure if its differents with liberal arts or commerce, but we didnt encounter any problems re. this.

unless also if its the schools themselves would require it...same with the GWA in our bachelors degree.

why not just try it and find out, rather than going for 3 yrs of Masters here then apply later for abroad, tapos pwede naman pala kung dumeretso ka.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file