GOOD DAY PEXERS!

If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us an email at [email protected]

Thanks,
PExer99

PinoyExchange presents The 2016 Book Challenge: B2B: Back-to-Basics

Comments

• jalibieberjalibieber Member PExer
    17/75
    Title:
    The Siren
    Author: Kiera Cass
    Genre: Fiction/Fantasy/Young Adult/Romance
    No. of pages: 257 pages, ebook
    Rating: 2/5
    Image:
    41ac%2BpWzPdL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Review:
    Is this the first book that Kiera did? If it did, that's okay. I really did not expect anything from this book, tbh. First of all, it was dull and dragging. Everything was just boring. I didn't even understand why was it so narrative. Yes, it was too narrative. Why did Kahlen need to tell all the responses of the Ocean in a narrative way? Just why? Lastly, I never felt anything. It lacked in emotions. It felt like it was written because it's needed to be written. And it'll be hard to say this but honestly, The Selection is wayyyy better than this book.

I was confused. I thought they were mermaids. Because it was tagged as mermaid in the genre type. I was really expecting like a retell of Little Mermaid, but it wasn't. More like a knockoff, tbh. And I never understand why she needs to be doing the writing and stuff. Cass neither explained it nor gave any background about the sirens. But finally, I understood at the latter part of the story.

Full review here.

[#]PExBookChallenge2016 [/#]
    [#]PExBookworm[/#]
    18/75
    Title:
    The Exclusion Wars
    Author: Shiela Agnew
    Genre: Fiction/Fantasy/Dystopian
    No. of pages: 204 pages, ebook
    Rating: 4/5
    Image:
    51OX8eepaoL._SL_300_.jpg

Review:
    Note: I received a digital copy of this book in exchanged of an honest review.

This story is a dystopian kind of book depicting the future USA where Hispanic are to be exiled in New York. It was narrated by Mateo Rivera, known as Matt Rivers, who was a Latino. He was working with the Underground, a group who helped Latinos from the government's army to conceal their identities, in search of his mother.

The book which was very timely and savvy. Though I am not really sure about the current political status in USA, but, honestly, this story is creeping the hell out of me.

Full review here.

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
    19/75
    Title:
    The Glass Ceiling
    Author: Julie LaVoie
    Genre: Fiction/Fantasy/Dystopian/Romance
    No. of pages: 215 pages, ebook
    Rating: 3.5/5
    Image:
    TGC-267x400.jpg

Review:
    Note: I received a digital copy of this book in exchanged of an honest review.

First of all, I never expected this book to be so dark and mature. I was expecting a wholly decent book with a dystopian aura. Don't get me wrong, it still has the dytopian-sytem-mood - just think of either Divergent or The Hunger Games if you wanna know how they were in this book. Tbh I won't recommend this book to young readers, but if they insist, go ahead. It's better to be aware than not.

The only difference among the two books I mentioned was the status of women. Discrimination can be vividly seen in this book whereas feminism was unkind, inconsiderate, and unreasonable. It was very disturbing. Women were divided into three caste; scarlet or simply a sex slave, a breeder or a baby-maker, or just a slave where you will work perpetually. The whole idea was totally insane. Nonetheless, there were still several issues mentioned here that young adults can totally relate into - friendship, love, jealousy, politics, and family. Despite of the gloomy world-building, the writing was considerably good.

Full review here.

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
    20/75
    Title:
    Uprooted
    Author: Naomi Novik
    Genre: Fantasy/Romance
    No. of pages: 432
    Rating: 5/5
    Image:
    22544764.jpg

Review:
    WARNING: THIS BOOK IS AN AWESOME MASTERPIECE!!!

What can I say? I can't describe the undeniable joy this book brought me. It was magical and enchanting. I don't know how long has it been since a book swept me up as this one did. It's all I was looking for in a story. Novik explained all cleanly and precisely. Everything was clear, powerful and strong that would create vivid images in your head and let you live there for the rest of the story. Or your life. I don't know. Al I know was Uprooted is perfect. Just fantastically perfect.

Uprooted features everything you're looking in a fantasy novel - action, romance, magic, rivalry, politics, well-paced narration, unpredictable but well-developed plot. Trust me, you would never expect what will happen next. I had no idea all along, it must be magic.

Full review here.

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
    21/75
    Title:
    Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children
    Author: Ransom Riggs
    Genre: Fantasy/Paranormal
    No. of pages: 432
    Image:

51Np0hUI%2BdL._SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Review:
    First of all, I wanted to say to all the people who told me that this book was just peculiar, like how the children described themselves. This book was more than peculiar, it's magical. It was fresh and original, definitely different than what I've read before. It was absolutely no horror story, but, yes it was unusual. Thanks to the pictures that went along with it (which feels more like treats, tbh), the time travel thingy (it was my first time to read that involves time travel!), and the little bit of creepy and grotesque plot that made Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children very special and odd, in a way. But then again, it was very much a page-turner and a beautiful novel.

Full review here.

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
    22/75
    Title:
    Hollow City
    Genre: Fantasy/Paranormal/Romance
    No. of pages: 412
    Image:
    23164983.jpg

Review:

This was waaaay so much better than the first book! THERE ARE JUST SO MANY FEELS!

Hollow City was full of all the elements that I usually like in books that I read. It was thrilling, exciting, very unpredictable and intriguing in so many good ways. I was completely engrossed in the characters, in their world. Hollow City wrapped me from the very first page - the time stands still as I read and hours had passed. Oh, I can't help but fall in love with them in every single page.

Hollow City picked up where Riggs dumped us exactly where we left off from the first novel. It had two parts, btw, the only novel in the trilogy that had two parts. I won't spoil too much on what happened. I want you guys to read it. Seriously. Read it.

Full review here.

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
    23/75
    Title:
    Library of Souls
    Genre: Fantasy/Paranormal/Romance
    No. of pages: 456
    Image:
    51JX3zbRjuL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Review:

Library of Souls gave me so many feels before, during and after reading it. It is one of the most beautiful denouement I've ever read in my bookish life! The whole series are by far the best trilogy I've ever encounter. There were so much of plot twists that were rough and pack with to many action scenes. Riggs wrapped me into peculiardom and I just couldn't stop plunging into their world and wanting for more!

What I liked about the book and whole series was that Jacob's character was not rushed. Riggs developed Jacob's persona and peculiarity slowly yet stunning and crazy powerful. I also liked the fact that each of the characters had their own part to be a hero. Each situation had just the right amount of humor too that was enough to lighten things up a bit. (Way to go Addison and Enoch!) The time travel aspect and the pictures were still captivating. (Mr. Bentham had a wonderful invention btw.) I absolutely loved the main setting, kinda devilish version of Victorian London. (London reminded me so much of Harry Potter too!) The romance was well done. I still don't like that they ended up together but, oh, what can I do?

Full review here.

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
    24/75
    Title:
    Rebel of the Sands
    Author: Alwyn Hamilton
    Genre: Fantasy/Historical/Romance
    No. of pages: 320
    Rating: 3/5
    Image:
    28258756._UY200_.jpg

Review:

Rebel of the Sands was a fascinating debut of Hamilton. It had a unique setting, kick-*** heroine and a rough and packed with action scenes. It was so much fast-paced, but still brilliantly-written, that you'll scream for more!

Honestly, it was a decent novel. There were wow moments but there were also dull moments, especially during the first part until middle, but that's just it. There were confusing parts that until now I'm not sure what happened. But again, that's not unusual for a fantasy novel. Still, Hamilton really did a great job in building an interesting new world for us. The settings was like a mix of Wild West and Middle East culture, though it was vivid that Middle East culture was dominant. It was actually the first time I read something from far East after Arabian Nights, and I was just a 6 years old then!

Full review here.

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
    25/75
    Title:
    Hell School: Fresh Meat
    Author: Heidi Angell
    Genre: Contemporary/Romance/Suspense
    Rating: 3/5
    Image:
    17d1b53174d738d898b93eb127394904.jpg

Review:

Note: I receive a digital copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.

I admire the author of this book for being so brave and bold in sharing this story where it was ought to be buried in the past. But thank you for sharing this book.

What I liked about this book was it gave me a bit of suspense feels that will make you hold one til the end. Not just that, it also talked about the common struggles of teenagers and high school students of the present society even though it was really sensitive ones. It really didn't only focus on the stalker thingy, it includes relevant topics for a teenager like family, friends, high school life, romance and a bit of religion.

Full review here.

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
    26/75
    Title:
    Unvamped
    Author: Elizabeth Stevens
    Image:
    25650772.jpg

Review:

I was happy when I read the prologue up to chapter one because it was actually the first time I read a novel with multiple POVs. I was like, "Woah! I don't have to read Six of Crows for multiple POVs." But I don't think I was thinking straight that time. What I don't understand about this book was the repetitions of the scenes in different POVs. It was hella confusing in so so so many ways!

I also found the chapters too long and dragging. I believe it can be trimmed with depth and a decent world building and character development. It needs heavy proof-reading and rewriting. Don't get me wrong though. I know how hard it is to create a book. To be honest, it really has an interesting plot and romance. It just needs t
    o be polished.
    Full review here.

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
    27/75
    Title:
    The Heir
    Author: Elizabeth Stevens
    Genre: Fantasy/Romance/Dystopian
    No. of pages: 342
    Rating: 1/5
    Image:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQM7faEqEf_Fss-y4L_NdU3OBuA5xEk2RlN1NrL_nuxe5P1Cuj_

Review:
    So the story was pretty much the same with The Selection - it was dull and dragging. Okay, let me correct that; yes, this is the fourth book and it has only worsen.

The Heir's plot was rushed and forced, flat and dry. I'd felt no emotions all throughout the story because the story itself was impassive, even if this book was supposed to make someone feel giddy and girly. But no. There was no connection at all. Nothing. In fact, I don't even remember what happened after reading it. Honestly.

Full review here.

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
    28/75
    Title:
    Survivor of the Rain: A Novel About Teenage Tragedy
    Author: Cassandra Webb
    Genre: Contemporary/Fiction
    No. of pages: 133
    Rating: 3.5/5
    Image:
    SOR_ebook_cover_grande.jpg?v=1457129445

Review:

So the story goes on like this; a rich high school kid, Anna, had a chaotic family situation and an abusive parents. Her friends thought she had a perfect life. But no. Her brother was wanted by the police. Her parents, especially her dad, beat her like she was not a girl. He even hit her with a belt buckle, like wth right? Dang, she could die! Oh yeah, she actually nearly died. And her studies and teenage life got affected big time. But her brothers, high school friends, and especially her boyfriend, Mark, saved her. It was really a usual teenage situation but I liked it. But really, it's not a long story anymore..

Full review here.

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
    29/75
    Title:
    Demorn: Blade of Exile (The Asanti #1)
    Author: David Finn
    Genre: Fanatasy/Action/LGBT
    No. of pages: 318
    Image:
    51e0ibDKymL.jpg

Review:

Demorn was, for me, the book version of the Resident Evil. It was full of action pack scenes. It was very fast paced, like literally fast. There's a lot of things going on that it will make you hold on to your seat, which is why I think that this book is not for me. It has weak plot and unappealing leads. It was competent but it was neither consistent nor coherent. Like everything was all over the place, it got me really confused. Felt like everything happened in one room.

Im not saying it was a bad book. It's a good book. There are people who liked the book. But it's not just really for me.

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
    30/75
    Title:
    Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1)
    Author: Cassandra Clare
    Genre: Fantasy/Romance/Historical Fiction/SciFi
    No. of pages: 479
    Image:
    CA_cover_repackaged-267x400.jpg

Review:
    I'd read almost all of the books in the The Mortal Instruments (TMI), except for the last book, City of Heavenly Fire, which is now long overdue since I cannot remember some scenes in the series. Anyway, I read this book because soon enough it will be a TV series, that a true Shadowhunter should not missed.

Moving forward, for the review; I could neither say that this first book of The Infernal Devices (TID) was bad nor good. But it clearly did not blew me away like those I read in the comments and reviews; it was very average in every way. Though I must admit, this book was way better than the City of Bones. And I couldn't help but see similarities between them - a spy inside the institute, arrogant and annoying male leads, mysterious and unknown past, father issues and whatnot. And I was a bit confused about the terminologies and what they do (iratze, seraph blades, etc.) in this book, yet Clare described everything more clearly than her debut novel.

Full review here.

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
    31/75
    Title:
    Ready Player One
    Author: Ernest Cline
    Genre: SciFi/Fantasy/Action/Romance/Dystopian
    No. of pages: 372
    Image:
    Ready_Player_One_cover.jpg

Review:
    VIRTUALITY + '80s POP CULTURE + EPIC ADVENTURE = FREAKING AWESOME MASTERPIECE!

Can I say that Ready Player One is one of the most geekiest yet exciting and entertaining book I've ever read? Like wow... just WOW! Double WOW!! There's great action, fantastic world building and an amazing and holy view of '80s pop culture that totally blew my mind.
    Truthfully, I thought this would be just a simple dystopian story of a boy gets who will meet a girl and ultimately saves the day. But no. It's more than that. And it's more than I could ever think of. It's stuffed of '80s references - music, games, personas, name it! - but it never felt gimmicky. Despite the futuristic and virtual setting and cyberpunk adventure, there's also strong characterization, plot setting and an absolutely fantastic world building (Did I say that already? Yeah, I think I did), which is plausible. But really, like seriously, pick this one up.

Full review here.

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
    32/75
    Title:
    The Wrath & the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn #1)
    Author: Renee Ahdieh
    No. of pages: 404
    Image:
    medium.jpg

Review:
    All the rave and buzz got into me which was the reason I bought a copy of this book. But not really sure if it was a good idea or whatnot. Now, I kept asking myself, where are the days of good YA books?

Anyway, I gave this book a final rating of 2 stars, yet I'm still rounding down. I am not entirely certain of what my rating for this book really is as I'm still trying to gather my thoughts about the characters and plot of the story.

So I'm not going to lie, this book was really hard for me to get into. First, the fact that it was Arabian and set on a different culture was a good idea. But I can't work out not just the names, but the characters. The characters were just thrown into your face and left you figure out yourself who is who.

Full review here.

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
    33/75
    Title:
    The Wrath & the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn #1)
    Author: Renee Ahdieh
    Genre: Fantasy/Romance/Adventure
    No. of pages: 420
    Image:
    51H4W9IL9uL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Review:
    I don't doubt Renee as a writer. She's really a good one. She even writes beautifully, where I cannot deny the fact that she is good in romance and world building and interesting story line. That is why I wanted to like this book so bad. Really bad. But I just can't. I can never be connected and tied to this book no matter what.

Though I wasn’t expecting much from this second book after the letdown on the first. But I was still anticipating that The Rose and the Dagger would justify all the confusion and disappointments I had in the first book. The Wrath & the Dawn started with a great potential to be something really amazing. And I’m sad that wasn’t what I got. Now, I admit defeat so I could say that the whole series wasn't perfectly plotted.

Full review here.

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
    34/75
    Title:
    Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2)
    Author: Cassandra Clare
    Genre: Fantasy/Romance/Adventure
    No. of pages: 560
    Rating: 4/5
    Image:
    51ey-5IQpVL._AC_UL320_SR214,320_.jpg

Review:
    This book was so much better than the first one in so many ways. It was still a little bit verbose. But nevertheless, it was very well-written. Yes, it was a bit predictable. But then again, it's still very enjoyable. It was slow paced and short on a little bit of action, which what I was looking for from the beginning. Cassie focused on character building which was really not bad at all. And the way she shaped the love triangle of this story was honestly so perplexing and very much effective.

Full review here.

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
    35/75
    Title:
    The Fault in Our Stars
    Author: John Green
    Genre: Contemporary/Romance
    No. of pages: 318
    Rating:
    3/5
    Image:
    The_Fault_in_Our_Stars.jpg

Review:
    There are cons and pros in watching the movie first before reading the book. And watching it first prior reading is always a bad choice.

Here's the thing: I cried, laughed and smiled real hard with Hazel and Gus' story. But dang, that was all when I watched the film! And it's not nice. I ain't gonna say that it was my friend's fault for inviting me to see the movie first. But what she did was not nice. Anyway, I'd decided to read the book long after I saw the film so I could at least forget some scenes (Hey, it took me me three years to read the book!) But nothing happened. Everything was still vivid. And this, I solemnly swear that The Fault in Our Stars would be the last book that I will watch the movie reenactment first before reading it. Although the film itself was a solid job.

Anyway, for the book review. I know it was a sad and tragic story. And I was supposed to cry. But that was the side effect of a cancer story. You cry and pity the characters. And let them know that it was beautiful because someone died. And also because, of course, you cried.

Full review here.

[#]PExBookChallenge2016[/#]
    [#]PExBookworm[/#]
  • pinoy2781pinoy2781 ♥ Jowns ♥ PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    2yjy3cl.jpg

5/75. mockingjay

author: suzanne collins
    genre: fiction; suspense; young adult; adventure
    number of pages: 455
    rating: 4/5

after the quarter quell and destruction of district 12 (or anyone who goes against the capitol), katniss must win the war against president snow. her life, and including those who oppose the capitol, will always be in danger if they don’t succeed. from being a pawn in the arena (twice) to being a pawn of the rebellion, katniss is stuck between a rock and a hard place. in the end, she knows she is the mockingjay, the face of the rebellion, and, accordingly, she must act, think and decide as one.

mockingjay doesn’t match catching fire’s intensity. nevertheless it is a good and thrilling conclusion.

here it’s safe, here it’s warm
    here the daisies guard you from every harm
    here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
    here is the place where i love you.

[#]PExBookChallenge2016[/#]
    [#]PExBookworm[/#]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file