• pinoy2781pinoy2781 ♥ Jowns ♥ PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    2qnm9oz.jpg

4/75. catching fire

author: suzanne collins
    genre: fiction; adventure; suspense; young adults
    number of pages: 472
    rating: 5/5

[idiom] catch (on) fire, to become ignited; burn

katniss, the girl on fire, unknowingly becomes a sign of hope for panem. her feat at the seventy-fourth hunger games has endeared her to the people. on the other hand, the stunt she pulled at the end of the games is considered by the government as a sign of rebellion. thus president snow is keeping her under close tabs to make sure that she toes the line. fearing for her loved ones safety and lives, katniss tries to cooperate with the capitol. however, snow has more “tricks” up his sleeves - enter quarter quell.

the catching fire is the ideal bridge/sequel. it focuses on plot and character development, laying the groundwork for book three. book one’s suspense is successfully sustained here. suzanne collins ups the ante by those twists and that ending. catching fire promises a bigger fire (book three).

[#]PExBookChallenge2016[/#]
    [#]PExBookworm[/#]
  • carlhirocarlhiro Resident Teleporter PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    hethler wrote: »
    Okay lang as long as hindi re-post haha.
    I meant if you previously joined the challenge and read/posted the book hindi na siya pede.

Thanks. This will be my first time joining the Book Challenge if ever.
  • cannycaninecannycanine Member Volleyball Vanguard
    I meant if you previously joined the challenge and read/posted the book hindi na siya pede.

Hey hethler!
    First time to do this and I am so excited!

Questions!

1) Do we have to spell out the letters for Extra challenge in order? Ex. 1st post should be a book title with an initial of P...

2) Do we have to place "spoiler alerts" if we want to tackle some specifics of a book once we review it?

3) How about books written in another language (Japanese, Filipino and others), are they included?

4) Do we have to post our actual book photo? or can we use images from google or others?

Thanks!
  • Yayang_ApiYayang_Api Yaya ni Jo In Sung PEx Rookie ⭐
    pwede pa sali?:hmm:
  • PrinceXavieRPrinceXavieR Time to Move On PExer
    time to go back to reading! :glee:
  • tokyoghoultokyoghoul Member PExer
    Not a bookworm but imma try this one :D
  • wencyhunyowencyhunyo Geek, Dork PExer
    3/75

Title: Kings Rising (Captive Prince #3)
    Author: C.S. Pacat
    Genre: GLBT/Romance/Fantasy
    No. of pages: 385
    Rating: 5/5
    17158532.jpg
    Review:

I read Captive Prince series out of curiosity almost three years ago. I was home for the summer. I fell in in love with it. And every December I am home, it became my tradition to reread volumes 1 and 2 until the release of book 3. And on the confines of my room I was transported to the beautiful world C.S. Pacat has created.

Now after years of waiting it has to end. This book is so beautiful and so so worth the wait. Maybe it was also the wait that made this book so precious to me aside of course, from Damen and Laurent. I waited for this, and now that I finally held it, devoured it, I cherished every scene, every word. I held onto it.

Ms. Pacat totally outdone herself on this book. This is the best conclusion to the epic series, to the epic characters. All my theories from books 1 and 2 were confirmed on this book, other revelations totally shocked me. Reading this, I had a sense of fulfillment. Every chapter couldn't be more perfect for me. I have to read the best lines and paragraphs twice just so the emotion could last.

Right after reading it, I want to demand more, more, more. But after this book finally sunk in to me, I want to leave it as is. It will make us think of Damen and Laurent with our own interpretation on what their lives would be.

If you're curious, you should check out the first book, Captive Prince. I promise you, it will be one of the best fantasies you'll ever read.

[#]PExBookChallenge2016[/#] [#]PExBookworm[/#]
    Read on: Feb. 2, 2016.
  • carlhirocarlhiro Resident Teleporter PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    1/25

Title: Ready Player One
    Genre: Sci-fi
    Author: Ernest Cline
    No. of pages: 374
    Rating: 4/5
    Image:

A1bCf-Xhe4L.jpg

Review:

The book is rich in pop culture references, which I love. Lots of surprises in the book, and kept me at the edge of my seat chapter after chapter. But after reading it, I realized that there is a clear divide between good and evil in the book, it could have been better if sides were a little bit blurry. The dystopian world creation was beautiful.

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
  • exitpassexitpass Member PExer
    I don't like novels written in third person. But i think i need to get a hand on this.
  • bluekiss04bluekiss04 Member PExer
    1/25
    Title: "Me Before You"
    Genre: Adult Novel/Romance
    Author: Jojo Moyes
    No. of pages: 369 pages
    Image: 15507958.jpg
    Review:

I don't think I've ever cried this much over a novel or a story. "Me Before You" can be likened in a way to heartbreaking romance novels like "The Fault in Our Stars" or "A Walk to Remember" but for me, MBY is more mature, complex, and even darker that in the end, readers will be asking questions, feeling all these emotions including anger, and debating among themselves about the turnout of events. Not to say that MBY is a somber book--the leads, Louisa and Will will charm readers with their wit, humor, quirks and experiences they go through. A huge part of why this book evoked so many emotions is because of the way the author wrote it--she can be very powerful and detailed with her use of words, her use of metaphors, and the way she describes emotions and fleshes out characters, so they aren't just one-dimensional. I so cannot wait for the movie coming out this June; Sam Claflin and Emily Clarke were genius casting choices for Will and Louisa. I have been rereading this book because I still cannot let go of the characters and story, and until now, reading the author's masterful writing and use of words can still bring out a good ugly cry session. :bawling:*okay*:love:

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
  • jalibieberjalibieber Member PExer
    1/75
    Title:
    Looking for Alasaka
    Genre: Young-Adult Novel/Contemporary
    Author: John Green
    No. of pages: 221 pages
    Image:
    41r-sKjJ61L.jpg

Review:
    Two years ago, one of my favorite person gave this to me as a birthday gift. But I never finished reading it then. And I regretted it because this book is just wonderful. Seriously wonderful. There are times that I just wanted to put it down but something is telling me to keep on reading. And it did not failed me! The story line is just amazing. And the characters! Oh my gosh. I know we do not have that kind of teens in the Philippines (well, we do not do those kinds of pranks) but knowing their culture, it's too realistic. Well, sort of.

This book is too much - too much suspense, questions, pain and stupid stuffs that kids do nowadays. I guess. When the book ended (or even in the middle of the story) I never cried. But it hit me so hard and blew me away just like that. Slowly but all at once.

Now that I read the whole book, I am genuinely happy I did. Prolly when I get old, Looking For Alaska is one of the books I'll still love and recommend to kids of the next gen.

[#]PExBookChallenge2016 [/#]
    [#]PExBookworm[/#]
    2/75
    Title:
    Cinder
    Genre: Fantasy/Romance/Young Adult/Dystopian
    Author: Marrissa Meyer
    No. of pages: 387 pages
    Image:
    11235712.jpg

Review:
    I honestly never thought that I would enjoy this book. At first I was like, "Machines? Mechanic female lead? A CYBORG??? Who the hell is interested with that kind of story?"

BUT I WAS WRONG! OKAY? I WAS WRONG!

I seriously never got bored and I immensely enjoyed every page. However, knowing that it's a fairy tale retell story, the plot was, well, a bit predictable. But I still find it very amusing. And I seriously just can't get enough! It captivated my heart and got my attention so hard that I quickly read the second book.

I totally recommend this book to EVERYONE!

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
    3/75
    Title:
    Me Before You
    Genre: Romance/Young Adult/Contemporary
    Author: Jojo Moyes
    No. of pages: 369 pages
    Image: (please refer above)

Review:
    I told him a story of two people. Two people who shouldn't have met, and who didn't like each other much when they did, but who found they were the only two people in the world who could possibly have understood each other.

I am lost in words. I don't what to say. My feelings are everywhere. I don't think I can name all the feelings that passed through me after reading this book. I am still having a difficult time formulating my thoughts. And maybe this review will be a mess because of that.

And I can't. I just can't. :(

Many others have said and I must agree with them - this is not a love story. But a story about life and love, about how to be alive, yet not living, about finding how to live a worthy life and making the decision whether it's really enough.

Though I did not cry like others did. But it doesn't really matter. Me Before You is a beautiful and wonderful story - a deep, poignant and utterly memorable.

It was so well written that you can vividly picture out everything. It made me laugh and smile a lot with Will and Lou's witty banters. Will's case is a complicated matter. Yes, the family's decision is morally wrong. But then again, you would just simply understand it because. And yes, it is a very difficult decision to make but either way, it will still tear our hearts apart. And no matter what, it makes me look at life in a whole lot different perspective.

It's a magnificent story yet so painful to read. It touched me in a way that nothing else has. I was satisfied with the whole thing. The ending, my gosh, was brilliant. I think I'm the only one who see the ending like that. But I love it. I love everything. Everything is so amazing that it makes you decide not to put the book down and just enjoy it. And everything is just so perfect together that you just can't stop loving and flipping the book until the very end.

"You only get one life. It's actually your duty to live it as fully as possible"

[#]#PExBookChallenge2016
    #PExBookworm[/#]
    4/75
    Title:
    Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1)
    Author: Susan Ee
    Genre: Young Adult/Dystopian/Fiction
    No. of pages: 288 pages
    Image:
    15863832.jpg

Review:
    Is it me or the book is just overrated? Nah. Kidding. With all the hype around it, Angelfall is absolutely warranted one of the most exciting books ever.

Seriously, I don't know what to say. This is the first angel and apocalypse book I've ever read so I don't have anything to compare it with. Either way, I like this book. No, I love this masterpiece.

Whenever I read the book and put it down for a while, it's hard to focus on reality again. I feel like terrifying creatures and raid gangsters will pop up and kill me. I know, overreacting.

The writing was absolutely the best. It's freaking good. I felt the pain, the anguish, the darkness surrounding it. EVERYTHING! I feel like a witness of everything!

And Penryn! Oh, I love Penryn so much! Nice name she got, right? Well, she's the typical heroine who is brave, selfless, determined and willing to give her life just to save her family, especially her sister. No matter what it cost. *gasp* Oh my gosh, does it sound like The Hunger Games? *gasp* I love her and Raffe's dry humors and constant banters even if danger was just lurking around.

Raffe. Oh yes, Raffe! RAH-FEE!!! Definitely on my list of book boyfriends. Though he's a bit too much cranky YA hero and well, not much like an actual Archangel. But who cares? I am freaking excited what the heck is gonna happen between him and Penryn's romance. That's a forbidden love they got there!

I'm giving it 4 stars out of 5. 4 because there are still questions that's bugging me like there might be a deep explanation on why did angels attacked the world and what happened to her sister and so much more. Ugh, it's just frustrating me so I'm gonna drop those stupid questions and read the second book.

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
    How about a Novella? Is it counted?
  • gotta lick itgotta lick it Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    3/25

Journey to the Force Awaken: The Perfect Weapon

Author: Deliliah Dawson
    Genre: Fiction
    Number of pages: Ebook - 59
    Rating: 2.5-5

Review:

"Not everyone you kiss will not tie you into bed and steal your stuff unless you are into that."

Bazine Natal - a fast rising bountyhunter
    latest?cb=20151020072410
    Delphi Kolda - the retired bounty hunter handler
    Orri Tenro - the expert computer hacker bounty hunter apprentice
    Stroomtrooper TK1472 - also known as Jor Tribulus, the target

A revealing story about the inner workings of bounty hunting which relies on deception, cunning and cruelty. A very typical third person Star Wars plot which is juvenille, creative, fast pace, informative, environmentally conscious, sinister, twisted and with a hanging and though provoking ending. It leaves the reader the though of "what is next." It is just another piece of the puzzle.

"You are the perfect weapon. Beautiful, angry cold, damaged, as long as i killed everyone who tried to come close to you, you'll keep pushing harder, kept you on your toes.
    tumblr_nz1x8kDUSC1rx9xdlo2_1280.jpg

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
  • bluekiss04bluekiss04 Member PExer
    2/25
    Title: "Before Ever After"
    Genre: Adult Novel/Romance/Filipiniana
    Author: Samantha Sotto
    No. of pages: 297
    Rating: 3.75/5
    Image: 5189irCthWL.jpg
    Review:

This was a pleasant read by a Filipina author, and an inspiring one at that, to think that one of our very own local writers published her first-ever novel internationally. Her novel isn't perfect, but is a good romance that has charming details as well as great descriptions of European countries as well as the Philippines, particularly Boracay. The story told of the love story of Max and Shelley, and how Shelley was widowed two years into the marriage, when suddenly, Paolo, a man who looks so much like her husband shows up, saying he is Max's grandson and that Max could actually be alive. It then goes on to tell of the flashbacks of Max and Shelley's European tour, and Shelley discovers who her husband really is as she and Paolo put together the pieces.

Sotto is fond of using flowery language, and sometimes overwrites, and there have also been some criticism of her main characters, especially Shelley, and how annoying she can be for a romance lead. I personally loved the book's charming details, such as the chapter titles which is always in alliteration; the use of eggs and chickens throughout, especially Max's trademark dish, baked eggs and cheese (now I want to find a recipe and create my own, too); and the well-written, and impact-inducing prologue and epilogues. I look forward to Ms. Sotto's next novel which is coming out this 2017, especially since she must have refined her work according to constructive feedback.

[#]PExBookworm[/#]
  • hethlerhethler Moderator PExer
    Hey hethler!
    First time to do this and I am so excited!

Questions!

1) Do we have to spell out the letters for Extra challenge in order? Ex. 1st post should be a book title with an initial of P...

2) Do we have to place "spoiler alerts" if we want to tackle some specifics of a book once we review it?

3) How about books written in another language (Japanese, Filipino and others), are they included?

4) Do we have to post our actual book photo? or can we use images from google or others?

Thanks!

Hi, welcome :wave:

RE:
    1. Guide lang siya (initials), it can later on be tallied kapag marami ka ng nabasang books.
    2. Not really, but you can use spoiler tags if you want
    3. Yes, they are included :)
    4. Okay lang if you can post the actual photo :)

ALL:
    For the extra challenge, see tally below, no. of books with the initials.

P - 1
    I - 1
    N - 3
    O - 3
    Y - 1
    E - 4
    X - 1
    C - 2
    H - 2
    A - 2
    G - 2
    B - 1
    K - 1
    L - 2

Welcome sa new challenger :D
  • dowaitodowaito Captain Daichi Sawamura PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️

Meron din akong na-reread na di ko lang pinopost dito hehe.
    Thanks for this!
    5/75
    Title:
    The Night Circus
    Author: Erin Morgenstern
    Genre: Romance/Historical Fiction/Fantasy
    No. of pages: 508 pages, Mass Market Paperback
    Image:

Review:

First things first: this book is not an ordinary story about magic and romance.

Honestly, first few chapters made me confused. Not necessarily confused though. I can't explain it but most of the time I was like, "What just happened???" :wondering:

It felt dark. But I immensely enjoyed every bits of it. I didn't even know this kind of beauty even existed. The Night Circus made me feel that all of the books I read were stupid and nonsense. And it was very hard to put my thoughts together for this book after reading it. It was *poof* MINDBLOWN. :whatthe:

Seriously though, it was worth reading. It was an astounding masterpiece that will surely stay with you long after you finish it. At the end of it, you will be wondering, "Was it real? Did we had a circus like that?"

It was very well written. The time jump and the characters POVs will confuse you for a while. Patience is really needed for this book. But really, it was unputdownable! If you will read it until the very end, everything will just fall into place and will leave you astounded.

The romance part was amazing. I'm not really a romance-genre-person so the setting worked very well for me. I felt the love and the longing, the anguish. Celia and Marco! *swoon* I kinda understand them somehow. And the ethereal feels, God, it was perfect! I cannot really visualized all of it but everything was magical! How I wish I can witness and visit the circus myself.

I was just glad to dive into this book. So, YOU . Yes, YOU!!! Seriously, READ. THIS. NOW.

“The circus arrives without warning.”

[#]PExBookChallenge2016
    [#PExBookworm

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file