Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

The Dressmaker (Starring Kate Winslet)

forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
KATE WINSLET STARS IN HIGH FASHION DRAMEDY “THE DRESSMAKER”
via press release

The%20Dressmaker%20-%20Official%20Poster__zps28ortwbr.jpg

Kate Winslet, who rocketed to worldwide audience with her lead role as Rose in the blockbuster film“Titanic” with Leonardo DiCaprio stars in the upcoming movie “The Dressmaker,” a hilarious dramedy clothed in elite fashion where revenge never looked so classy.

Based on the best-selling novel by Rosalie Ham, “The Dressmaker” is a bittersweet, comedy-drama set in early 1950s Australia. Tilly Dunnage (Kate Winslet), a beautiful and talented misfit, after many years working as a dressmaker in exclusive Parisian fashion houses, returns home to the tiny middle-of-nowhere town of Dungatar to right the wrongs of the past. Not only does she reconcile with her ailing, eccentric mother Molly (Judy Davis) and unexpectedly falls in love with the pure-hearted Teddy (Liam Hemsworth), but armed with her sewing machine and incredible sense of style, she transforms the women of the town and in doing so gets sweet revenge on those who did her wrong.

“The Dressmaker” also includes actors in stellar remarkable roles such as Hugo Weaving, Sarah Snook, Caroline Goodall, Shane Bourne, Kerry Fox and Rebecca Gibney and directed by American Film Institute winner Jocelyn Moorhouse acclaimed for her previous works in “How To Make An American Quilt” starring Wynona Ryder and “A Thousand Acres” starring Michelle Pfieffer and Colin Firth.

Kate Winslet remembers: “When I first read the script I was very taken by how different she was as a woman to anything I’d read for quite a while. There’s a strength in her that is unflinching and almost aggressive at times because she has had to overcome so many challenges in order to stay strong and to be the person that she is.”

Tilly Dunnage and her mother Molly were always outcasts in Dungatar, baited by the grasping, nasty inhabitants, but the tragic death of a child - the Pettyman’s son Stewart - when Tilly was 10 years old, and for which she’s blamed, led to her expulsion from the town. Now in her 30’s, the unsolved mystery of the death haunts her, and Tilly returns to seek closure – firstly through clarity of what really happened, secondly through some measure of revenge. Her strength, her rare talents, but also her need for love are clear.

Producer Sue Maslin explains it in this way: “The leading theme of The Dressmake is the notion of revenge and it’s revenge as a wickedly funny idea, but it’s also revenge that is a necessity. In Tilly’s case, it’s necessary because she not only needs to understand why she was victimised as a young child and sent away, and why her mother has been punished all the years since she left, but more importantly, she needs to reconcile the truth for herself about what happened. She needs to forgive herself. She can’t do that in isolation.”

Kate Winslet finds that: “Tilly is unique and extremely skilled at what she does, she has a sense of grace and poise that is entirely lacking in the town. I really admired her very powerful sense of self. She’s vulnerable but does a really good job of hiding it.”

Of the novel’s characterisation, Rosalie Ham says: “Tilly Dunnage is reserved, aloof, an observer, she has instinct, she knows what people are like and she appeals to the good or the bad in people with her talents. She’s a wounded, slightly vengeful but not to the extent where she does anything terrible directly - she puts in place things so that those who deserve it ruin themselves. It’s her presence in circumstances that causes the chaos, or the joy.”

Revenge is back in fashion when “The Dressmaker” opens nationwide this November 4 from Axinite Digicinema

Comments

• forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    KATE WINSLET’S FROCKERY ROCKED SLEEPY TOWN IN “THE DRESSMAKER”
    via press release

a%20scene%20from%20THE%20DRESSMAKER_zps4v548qbj.jpg

Based on the wickedly hilarious and couture-filled book of the same title by Rosalie Ham, “The Dressmaker” is set at 1951 in a town called Dungatar, a one-horse town deep in the wheat belt of south-east Australia. The sleepy town of Dungatar is suddenly alarmed at the return of Tilly Dunnage (Academy Award winner Kate Winslet), a beautiful, talented misfit, who’s been working as a dressmaker in France for the great haute couture designers, returns home to Dungatar, a one-horse town deep in the wheat belt of south-east Australia. After 20 years away, Tilly has been driven back by a recent tragedy, to do two things – look after her ailing, eccentric mother Molly (Judy Davis), and right the wrongs of the past that continue to haunt her. Tilly Dunnage has revenge in her heart.

Tilly feels instinctively that she was wronged as a child, but she also feels cursed and can’t clearly remember what happened. The Dungatarians are drawn in by Tilly’s bewitching skills of transformation, and one by one, she extracts from them the information necessary to piece the truth together. The extraordinary gowns she creates become her means for revenge against those who did her wrong. There’ll be a price for looking this good.

Along the way Tilly bares her heart and against her better judgement falls in love with local football hero, Teddy McSwiney (Liam Hemsworth). Most importantly, she forms an initially volatile but finally tender reconciliation with her mother Molly.

Director Jocelyn Moorhouse says: “A designer friend of mine once said to me, couture is a weapon and that stuck with me. I like the idea of a woman being able to use her skills at designing extraordinary clothes that can transform the people wearing them, and to use that as a weapon against those people.”

Clothes are crucial to “The Dressmaker” – costuming is key to any film, but here it takes on a profound level of importance. Rosalie Ham had the clothes close in mind when writing the source book: “Clothes as a disguise, something to cover the flaws of your body, was what I wanted to explore, but in this case, it exacerbates the flaws in the people - things like vanity and jealousy - and so it all came from that.”

Fashion in “The Dressmaker” is about disguise. Tilly Dunnage takes advantage of the women in the town and appeals to their sense of competition and vanity. The women of Dungatar haven’t looked or felt good for a very long time, so it’s a way of luring people and giving them a false sense of hope. Tilly simply gives them enough rope – or ribbon – to hang themselves with. She lets them “bring themselves unstitched”, as Rosalie puns.

Kate Winslet says: “Tilly has trained as a couture dressmaker in France with Balenciaga and Dior and Madame Vionnet. The Dungatarians don’t really understand quite how magical and beautiful her creations truly are, they think it’s ‘dress up’. It’s kind of a gift that she’s giving them, as well as carrying out little bits of revenge along the way. They go from looking pale and a bit tea stained to looking like they’re all walking down a red carpet. It’s really quite striking.”

The post war 1950s were a time in which fashion had two competing movements - Christian Dior created ‘the new look’ in 1947, which took women back a little bit to the corset and the cinched waist. Madame Vionnet and Balenciaga were both couturiers who didn’t use artifice, they used what was already there and the way fabric was draped on the body to enhance the good qualities and disguise the bad.

Rosalie Ham says: “I wanted to make the distinction between those two things in The Dressmaker. You can be feminine and beautiful but you don’t have to wear a corset or alter yourself particularly to be able to do that.”

Check out Winslet’s runway-worthy creations in “The Dressmaker” when it opens November 4 in theaters nationwide from Axinite Digicinema.

Watch “The Dressmaker” trailer here:
  • forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    HUNGER GAMES STAR LIAM HEMSWORTH’S LATEST MOVIE WITH KATE WINSLET IN “THE DRESSMAKER”
    via press release

kate%20winslet%20amp%20liam%20hemsworth%20THE%20DRESSMAKER_zps7wyq0zot.jpg

Liam Hemsworth, whose versatility landed him major and notable roles in various film genres such as the highly successful “The Hunger Games” franchise, “The Last Song,” “The Expendables 2,” “Paranoia” and “Empire State” brings his acting range in his latest movie “The Dressmaker” opposite Kate Winslet along with two-time Emmy Award winner Judy Davis and multi-awarded actor Hugo Weaving (best known for his role in “Matrix” as Agent Smith).

“The Dressmaker” brings Hemsworth to his birth country Australia, where his character Teddy, lives in a small town called Dungatar. The town, it’s a wicked amalgam, a small town that could be anywhere in the world, that despite its fantastical vision and eccentric occupants, is built around deep truths about human behaviour. Every character in Dungatar is involved in either covering up or contributing to the tragic events of the past that affected Tilly (Winslet) and Molly (Davis). Some of them are not awful, but they’ve all committed some rather heinous acts that they’re trying to forget about. When Tilly comes back they’re forced to remember. The citizens of Dungatar see Tilly as a threat to their status quo, to the semi-peaceful existence they have established. They banished her when she was a little girl, blamed her for a murder, and the very fact that she’s come back means they’ll have to face all the bad things they did to her in the past. Except for Teddy McSwiney (Hemsworth), who treats Tilly in an endearing way and falls in love with her.

The love story that develops between Teddy and Tilly is tender and unexpected – in many ways the two are like chalk and cheese. Tilly has lived in Europe, she’s worldly, elegant, savvy, she has an emotional past. Teddy is a stolid footballer, uncouth, younger than her, who may not have ever ventured out of Dungatar, but they share a level of smarts, and he instantly falls in love with her.

Producer Sue Maslin says: “Casting the role of Teddy was probably the toughest decision - finding an actor that could bring both the charm and the masculinity to the role. We wanted an Australian actor, but somebody who was going to have credibility with audiences internationally as well. Liam Hemsworth certainly embodied the physicality of the role and the sensitivity. You could not find a better Teddy, he’s just utterly charming, utterly gorgeous, laconic, a larrikin- all of the things that Teddy embodies, so it was an absolute delight working with him.”

While director Jocelyn Moorhouse shares, " I Ioved the scenes where Kate and Judy were physically fighting each other, but I also have to admit the scene where Liam gets measured by Kate for his new suit, always makes me smile.".

Liam Hemsworth, who plays Teddy, says he connected to the character on reading the script “because he reminded me of a lot of people I grew up with, of my grandpa in particular – a hard working Australian guy, someone who just gets on with it, very positive and quirky, a fun loving kind of spirit. Teddy is a little different to most of the people in Dungatar because he has a little more ambition and wants to get out and see what the rest of the world looks like. I felt like I knew this guy really well and I felt like I knew exactly how it should be played.”

Kate Winslet says: “Teddy is a sincere man, he has no airs and no graces, he looks like a right scruff pot most of the time but in many ways, he’s exactly what Tilly needs. He’s what she’s never experienced - someone who really appreciates her and sees her for who she is. He’s truthful and pure. It’s a very sweet endearing relationship.”

“The Dressmaker” opens November 4 in theatres from Axinite Digicinema.
  • BeerhandBopBeerhandBop PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    so.. it's a movie about a cougar..

or a milf depending on your POV.
  • carlhirocarlhiro PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    [CENTER-HIDDEN]dressmaker-poster.jpg[/CENTER-HIDDEN]

Philippine Release Date: November 4, 2015
    Director: Jocelyn Moorhouse
    Cast: Kate Winslet, Liam Hemsworth, Hugo Weaving, Judy Davis

[JUSTIFY]Jocelyn Moorhouse’s The Dressmaker may seem to be just for the fashion-oriented, but one doesn’t need the keen eye of a fashion enthusiast to appreciate a revenge plot of a dressmaker to the people who wronged her in the past. Based on the novel of the same name by Rosalie Ham, the film focuses on the titular dressmaker Myrtle “Tilly” Dunnage’s (Kate Winslet) return to the town who has sent her away at the age of 10 because of false accusations of murder.[/JUSTIFY]

[CENTER-HIDDEN]TheDressmaker_4.jpg[/CENTER-HIDDEN]

[JUSTIFY]Set in the 1950s in the fictitious town of Dungatar somewhere in rural Australia, the period dramedy is depicted with a quirky feel, more leaning towards magical realism-themed films. With unexpected deaths and hilariously staged accidents, the film gives off a feeling of “Did they actually do that?” and “I still can’t believe that happened.” The film mixes the eccentricity and perkiness of its characters with an intriguing plot to hook its audience into a “whodunit”-slash-“what really happened?” mystery, which makes for a good balance of drama and comedy. [/JUSTIFY]

[CENTER-HIDDEN]TheDressmaker_2.jpg[/CENTER-HIDDEN]

[JUSTIFY]Kate Winslet struts off the well-designed dresses her character sews, which stand out among the rugged 50s maiden clothing of the townspeople. Her boytoy Teddy (Liam Hemsworth) is as typical as a country boy can get, charming everyone off their feet and showing off skin as needed. The film however fails to convince that they are of roughly the same age – nothing wrong with their chemistry, though. But the highlight of the film is definitely Judy Davis, who plays Molly Dunnage, the Dungatar town’s crazy old lady who lives up the hill. Whether stealing whiskey from pockets or cursing the other townspeople, she is the comic relief of the film and a fun character to watch.[/JUSTIFY]

[CENTER-HIDDEN]TheDressmaker.jpg[/CENTER-HIDDEN]

[JUSTIFY]The film does leave its audience on the fence on what to feel about it afterwards. But it is sure that it would leave a mark due to its quirks and twists. It does leave us a good resolution, though, on the revenge story – if you were rooting for Tilly since the beginning. [/JUSTIFY]

[CENTER-HIDDEN]Rating: 7/10

5756494783_13ef5406da_m.jpg

The Dressmaker opens tomorrow, November 4, in theatres nationwide.

Discuss the movie here: The Dressmaker
    More movie reviews here: Official PEx Movie Reviews
    [/CENTER-HIDDEN]
  • BeerhandBopBeerhandBop PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i watched it...

for some reason... napa sama ako sa loob ng cinema.. but anyway.. the movie turned dark especially on the 3rd act. LoL. and that's when they started using spaghetti western type music as well.

mga badingz were laughing at the zings and supals throughout the movie.. pero walang joke that stands out.

from what was supposed to be a light murder mystery filled with non PC characters, it took a darker turn of events at the end.

only thing that stands out was she came into town carrying her bag and her sewing machine, and the last shot also had her carrying that sewing machine, lol.
  • bolickylickybolickylicky Member PEx Expert 🎖️
    sarah snook is in this...this girl will win an oscar someday i swear.
  • C.I.C.C.IC.I.C.C.I PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Paperback
    375 pages
    Copyright 2000
    ISBN 978-0-014-312906-6

THE DRESSMAKER - ROSALIE HAMM

lc.jpg

After 20 years spent mastering the art of dressmaking at couture thouses in Paris, Tilly Dunnage returns to the smallest Australian town she was banished from as a child. But Tillly decides to stay, and though she is still an outcast, her lush, exquisite dresses prove irresistible to the prim women of Dungatur. Through her fashion business, her friendship with Sergeant Farrat --- the town's policeman, who harbors an unusual passion for fabrics --- and a budding romance with Teddy, the local football star who's family is almost as reviled as hers, she finds a measure grudging acceptance. But as her dresses begin to arouse competition and envy in town, crossing old resentments surface, it becomes clear that Tilly's mind is set on the darker design: exacting revenge on those wrong, and the most spectacular fashion.

[crouching-tiger-disappearing-spoiler]
    1. Teddy accidentally kills himself when he jump into the silo - sorghum instead of wheat

2. Tilly is the illegitimate daughter of Evan Pettyman.

3. sexual relations of Evan and Una.

4. Beula Harridene is committed to an asylum.

5. Marigold Pettyman finds out about Evan's infidelity.

6. Marigold slits Evan in his tendon area; leaving him to bleed to death.

7. Marigold pours whole bottle of her sleeping tonic into a jug and drinks it all.

8. Getrude goes Mad.

9. Tilly burns whole village of Dungatar.

[/crouching-tiger-disappearing-spoiler]