Home PEx Hobbies Music and Radio

Radio Formats/Reformats na Di-Masyadong Nag-Click

mel414mel414 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
Here's mine:

93.9 KCFM (now iFM)
- Their attempt of turning a masa station into a pop/CHR station didn't click so well, kaya bumalik sa masa format
Notable DJs: King DJ Logan, Chico, Delamar

Rio 106.7 (now Energy FM)
- A station of the former ABC 5. The successor of Kool 106 (pop format). Wala naman talaga kasing market for Latin music eh, kaya binalik sa Kool 106

101.1 Showbiz Tsismis (now Yes FM)
Format was similar to their sister station, Love Radio. Music with a bit of showbiz news in between.

Heart 103.5
The successor of K-Lite. They banked on easy listening music, through their tagline, "Easy listening the way it should be".

103.5 Wow FM
Another reformat of the said station, and the first attempt of TRPI/Quest in entering the "masa" market
Notable DJ's: Dolly Anne Carvajal (palaging absent), Noel Ferrer, Shalala, Mr. Fu, Francine Prieto, Justin Bibbo

105.9 RJ Underground (now Retro 105.9)
Masyadong mahina ang signal

99.5 Campus FM (now Play FM)
An attempt to save/revive the Campus Radio brand
Notable DJs: Triggerman, Jimmy Jam (who are now both in Retro)

107.5 Win Radio (now Wish 1075)
I can say that this radio station has undergone a lot of birth pains. Many loyal listeners of NU107 really frowned upon the idea that the once glorious rock radio station has been turned into a masa station.
Notable milestone: Win was able to produce a power singer and belter, Paullete Cambronero, the grand winner of their singing contest, "Win Big Talent Search")

Comments

• rubberr_duckyrubberr_ducky PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Meron ren FM station na puro pang gimik ang tugtog. 107.9 iirc yung station. Mahina ang signal niya. Was expecting mas okay siya pag gab pero waley pa ren. There was a station who used to broadcast from Tiendesitas. Ano na pala nangyari dun?
  • mel414mel414 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I believe you're referring to Power 108/107.9. Yun yung puro EDM ang tugtog

The radio station in Tiendesitas? I believe you're referring to Radio High, which has the same format as Crossover. Their studio is in Silver City near Tiendesitas. Nagreformat na sila, and they're now known as Retro
    ^Thanks for the info *okay*

Di ba may fm station dati na focus ay gimik music at hip hop. Pag weekends ay may live broadcast sila sa isang gimikan sa Libis. Not sure kung Culture Club nga ba yun. Nasa bandang 100+ frequency siya. Lagpas ng 105.1 iirc.
  • forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    Kool 106 listener ako kaya inis na inis ako when they reformatted to Rio playing Latin music? Like why? Nag reformat din Kool 106 to 106.7 Kool na CHR mala RX but didn't last

92.3 also went CHR with U-Fm but didn't last and Radyo Singko

Just recently 97.9 Home Radio reformatted to to a masa-leaning Natural but now they went CHR na rin.
    ^Dati gusto ko sa 97.9 dahil parang Mellow Touch (before the reformat) na office music style. I'm starting the old format of 94.7, 96.3 and 103.5.
  • forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    ^ yes gusto ko din dati yung easy listening, they have better playlist sa Wrock (now EzRock) noon but they had a change of management kasi kaya naging ganyan
    Re 97.9
    I really don't know what came into the heads of the Aliw Broadcasting bosses, when they decided to turn their station from easy listening to masa. What's worse, AMPANGIT pa ng pangalan. Natural? Seriously? Walang ibang maisip? Anak ng baka, baboy at manok.

To be fair with them, I liked the RnB show with Jimmy Bondoc and Duncan Ramos. Pero mas maganda kung tinapat nila sa 6-9 timeslot para may katapat ang Boys Night Out.

Mabuti na lang at natauhan ang mga nasa itaas. The Home Radio branding is now back, and they just made "Natural" their tagline. But if I were them, TANGGALIN NA NILA YUN, utang na loob, at umisip na lang sila ng bago. And instead of "97 dot 9", they read their frequency as "97 point 9". And aside from "Natural", their other tagline is, "The Home of the Millenials". Kung nakikinig kayo sa dating Home Radio, the playlist now is kinda similar to their Sunday block, VHS (Variety Hit Sunday). ALISIN lang talaga nila yung Natural, masaya na ko.

And since its almost Christmas, I still remember the old Home Radio Christmas station ID, which is patterned after their regular "Like it Easy" jingle:

Home is where I wanna be, where carols start to play
    And lanterns lighten up my nights, come home this Christmas holiday
    I like my music easy, when you come home to me
    I like it when love fills the air, and when there's giving everywhere
    I want laughter, surprises, sunshine embraces
    Home Radio, I like Christmas easy
    Spend it with me, and see
    Spend Christmas with me, I like it easy
    Merry Christmas from Home.... Radio
  • badofiladabadofilada PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    mel414 wrote: »
    Re 97.9
    I really don't know what came into the heads of the Aliw Broadcasting bosses, when they decided to turn their station from easy listening to masa. What's worse, AMPANGIT pa ng pangalan. Natural? Seriously? Walang ibang maisip? Anak ng baka, baboy at manok.

To be fair with them, I liked the RnB show with Jimmy Bondoc and Duncan Ramos. Pero mas maganda kung tinapat nila sa 6-9 timeslot para may katapat ang Boys Night Out.

Mabuti na lang at natauhan ang mga nasa itaas. The Home Radio branding is now back, and they just made "Natural" their tagline. But if I were them, TANGGALIN NA NILA YUN, utang na loob, at umisip na lang sila ng bago. And instead of "97 dot 9", they read their frequency as "97 point 9". And aside from "Natural", their other tagline is, "The Home of the Millenials". Kung nakikinig kayo sa dating Home Radio, the playlist now is kinda similar to their Sunday block, VHS (Variety Hit Sunday). ALISIN lang talaga nila yung Natural, masaya na ko.

And since its almost Christmas, I still remember the old Home Radio Christmas station ID, which is patterned after their regular "Like it Easy" jingle:

Home is where I wanna be, where carols start to play
    And lanterns lighten up my nights, come home this Christmas holiday
    I like my music easy, when you come home to me
    I like it when love fills the air, and when there's giving everywhere
    I want laughter, surprises, sunshine embraces
    Home Radio, I like Christmas easy
    Spend it with me, and see
    Spend Christmas with me, I like it easy
    Merry Christmas from Home.... Radio

Mas maganda yung katulad dun sa ginawa dati sa Home Radio Cebu, na naging CHR ang format (pero ibalik talaga ang dating logo, at VHS every Sunday, more throwback-ish talaga yan than Guilty Pleasures).
    forg wrote: »
    Kool 106 listener ako kaya inis na inis ako when they reformatted to Rio playing Latin music? Like why? Nag reformat din Kool 106 to 106.7 Kool na CHR mala RX but didn't last

@forg: Yung Kool 106, eto chronology niyan

1992 - Kool 106 Pop/CHR format

1999 - 106.7 Kool, which format is similar to RX, just like what you've mentioned. Favorite ko rito yung show ni Francis Day, yung "Let's Talk Kool". Rumor has it that he actually cried during his last day, which was also the last day of the station

2001 - Rio 106.7, na hindi ko magets kung bakit Latin ang music nila, whereas there is no market for Latin Music here in the country. Ito yata yung time na medyo bumabagsak na ang ABC5.

2002 - Kool 106 Masa Format. Why did I say masa? One of the songs I heard in this format was "Babae Po Ako" by Tuesday Vargas. They also had "Kool on Kam", which was simulcast on ABC 5. Parang "teleradyo" format. My favorite DJ here was Indi, who is now with Mellow.

2004-2011 - Dream 106.7, na mala-Crossover naman. This was the time when Tonyboy Cojuangco was the Big Boss of ABC.

2011 - present: Energy FM transfers from 91.5 to 106.7. When they were starting out, the station was called "Energy FM on Dream", kasi it was a temporary partnership between Energy and Dream. Before they signed on, they had this teaser, "Si Pangga, dreaming". "Pangga" ang tawag sa listeners ng Energy, while "dreaming" refers to Dream FM.
    Eventually, the station was simply known as 106.7 Energy FM, dropping the Dream branding, because ABC5 had already rebranded to TV5.