Home PEx Business and Careers Call Centers and Call Center Jobs

Pilipinismo

mel414mel414 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
Sa mga call centers, lalo na pagdating sa language/comm skills training, more often than not, there is usually a topic dedicated to Filipinisms, which are words/expressions widely used by Filipinos, and sometimes, only Filipinos can understand. I have gathered some of the most common ones encountered, and the proper way of saying them instead.

Please feel free to add more, if you wish. I created this thread to promote self awareness. Mahirap nang magkamali lalo na sa mga actual calls

- TRAINER, not TRAINOR
Someone told me that "trainor" is used for animals, while "trainer" is used for humans. WRONG! It's TRAINER for both.

- RESTROOM, TOILET, BATHROOM, not COMFORT ROOM or CR
Or you can also say "John", or "Loo", or "Powder Room", "Men's Room", "Ladies Room". There is no such thing as a comfort room. You DO NOT find COMFORT in that room

- FETCH, ie, "Wait for me to fetch you at 8:00 pm".
You PICK UP a person, and you FETCH an object. Bakit kasi dito sa atin eh masyadong negative ang dating pag sinabing "Pick up"?

- FOR A WHILE
This is another expression I find irritating. Instead, you can always say ONE MOMENT PLEASE, or HOLD ON.

- COME AGAIN (when you don't understand something)
If your customer is a perv, don't wonder if you will get an unusual response. Instead say, I'M SORRY/I BEG YOUR PARDON

- DINE IN/ TAKE OUT
Again, another one of those irritating expressions. Instead, say FOR HERE or TO GO. But then again, not all Pinoys understand this, especially those in the food business.

- BOTTOMLESS
Remember that iced tea commercial? REFILLABLE is the best term to use

- ALL YOU CAN EAT, not EAT ALL YOU CAN

- THANK YOU FOR THAT/THAT ONE/THIS/ONE, SORRY FOR THAT/THAT ONE/THIS/ONE
What exactly are you thankful for? What exactly are you apologizing for?

- Use of ACTUALLY for emphasis, when it should be used if you want to oppose an earlier point
INCORRECT: This coffee tastes great. Actually it came from Starbucks
CORRECT: This coffee is not from Starbucks. It actually came from JCo
ACTUALLY is another one of those commonly misused words in the Philippine setting

- TIME FIRST
Usually used by kids, especially when they ask to temporarily pause or stop whatever they are doing. The correct term is TIME OUT

- KKB
Kanya Kanyang Bayad is a Filipino term. The closest English equivalent is GO DUTCH/DUTCH TREAT

- HAND CARRY for LUGGAGE
The correct term is CARRY ON

- XEROX, COKE, COLGATE and other proper nouns
Instead, use the common noun counterpart, especially if you are not mentioning any particular brand: PHOTOCOPY, COLA/SODA, TOOTHPASTE

- SALVAGE
A word that is usually MISUSED BY THE MEDIA, especially NEWS MEDIA and TABLOIDS
To SALVAGE is to SAVE and NOT KILL something

- FREE GIFT
A gift is always free

- Improper way of responding to the question DO YOU MIND?
Example: Do you mind waiting?
Wrong Answer: Yes, I can wait
Right Answer: No, I don't mind waiting

- LOOK, not ASK for someone
Wrong: Just ask for Lisa when you get there
Right: Just look for Lisa when you get there

Comments

• it is FILIPINOISM not FILIPINISM...we had this topic during our Soft Skill and American Accent and Culture Training

- KKB
    Kanya Kanyang Bayad is a Filipino term. The closest English equivalent is GO DUTCH/DUTCH TREAT

***FILIPINOISMS - are ENGLISH statements or words that are grammatically incorrect but are widely used and accepted by most Pinoys. So KKB should not be included here bec it is a tagalog statement..colloquial term or salitang bal-bal pwede pa.

ASK FOR ME vs. LOOK FOR ME (over the phone)
    Look for Me - Wrong
    Ask for Me - CORRECT
  • Oooooooooh terms and phrases that I should be aware of. This thread is really helpful! Thank you!
  • Interesting yung distinction ng "Filipinisms" sa "Filipinoisms". So ang Filipinism e yung magtitira ka ng konting pagkain sa plato kasi ayaw mo magparang matakaw o yung magtuturo ka gamit nguso?
    Baka pwede rin i-argue na lahat ng Filipinoisms ay Filipinisms din. Think about it.
    In any case, para naman may on-topic akong contribution:
    Yung "traffic" ginagamit natin para sabihin na mabagal ang takbo ng mga sasakyan sa daan. Ang ibig sabihin talaga ng "traffic" e yung mga sasakyan mismo sa daan. Dito kasi, understood na ang ibig sabihin kapag "natraffic ako". Sa ibang bansa, mas malinaw sabihin na "I got stuck in traffic"
  • bitoy08bitoy08 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    renegade29 wrote: »
    it is FILIPINOISM not FILIPINISM...we had this topic during our Soft Skill and American Accent and Culture Training

- KKB

***FILIPINOISMS - are ENGLISH statements or words that are grammatically incorrect but are widely used and accepted by most Pinoys. So KKB should not be included here bec it is a tagalog statement..colloquial term or salitang bal-bal pwede pa.

ASK FOR ME vs. LOOK FOR ME (over the phone)
    Look for Me - Wrong
    Ask for Me - CORRECT

I was also corrected by my trainer, but both terms are acceptable. In fact, FILIPINISM has an entry in Tom McArthur's Concise Oxford Companion to the English Language (OUP).

Filipino-English expressions are nonstandard, but are not really considered wrong or incorrect. Many authorities also recognize Filipinisms as part of an English dialect normally used in the Philippines.

LIST: 40 Filipino-coined words added in Oxford dictionary

Let me clarify that these Filipino expressions or Filipinisms are only acceptable when dealing with Filipinos who use Filipino English.
  • bitoy08bitoy08 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    mel414 wrote: »
    - FETCH, ie, "Wait for me to fetch you at 8:00 pm".
    You PICK UP a person, and you FETCH an object. Bakit kasi dito sa atin eh masyadong negative ang dating pag sinabing "Pick up"?

- COME AGAIN (when you don't understand something)
    If your customer is a perv, don't wonder if you will get an unusual response. Instead say, I'M SORRY/I BEG YOUR PARDON

- DINE IN/ TAKE OUT
    Again, another one of those irritating expressions. Instead, say FOR HERE or TO GO. But then again, not all Pinoys understand this, especially those in the food business.

- FREE GIFT
    A gift is always free

- The verb fetch is British English, so better not use it since American English is normally used in the Philippines.

- The expression come again? is also used by some native English speakers in very informal situations, although it is not very common. It appears in the dictionaries, so it cannot be considered as a Filipino expression.

- It is better to use the Filipino expressions dine in/take out because the American expression to go sounds pretentious (trying hard) when used in local fastfood chains.

- The expression free gift is indeed redundant, but it is acceptable as a business term. You can see its entry in many reputable English dictionaries. However, the expression is not acceptable when talking about birthday gifts or Christmas presents.
  • mel414mel414 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    PRONUNCIATIONS:

Letters of the Alphabet:
    H - pronounced "eytch" and not "etch"
    W - pronounced "dubyoo" and not "double u", although the latter is still acceptable
    Z - pronounced "zee" for American English, "zed" for British English, and NOT "zey". I don't know where we got that "zey"

Names of Persons:
    Stephen - pronounced "stee-ven" (Steven) and not "stee-fen", or "steh-fen"
    Rachel/Rachelle - pronounced "reyt-chel", and not "rey-shell"
    Lindsay - prounounced "lin-zee", and not "lind-sey"

Symbols
    # - "Pound" or "Hash" and NOT "number sign"
    * - "Star", NOT "asterisk"
  • mel414mel414 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    For example, if a family member, or friend of someone you know passed away, please do not say "Condolence".

It should be, "My condolences".

And please, it's not pronounced as "CON-dolence", but "my con-DOLENCES"