UAAP Basketball General Discussion Thread

yestoyesto Administrator PEx Admin
edited April 2018 in UAAP - Basketball
This season, we are bringing back the focus to you, PExers! This thread is dedicated to general basketball talks. You can also use this thread as the official chat thread for the UAAP PExers. Non school/team dependent talks can also be discussed here.

You can also post photos,videos and news updates here for as long as you cite the source of the material!

Comments

• yestoyesto Administrator PEx Admin
    GAME SCHEDULE PER SCHOOL

UP FIGHTING MAROONS

09/05 VS UE (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)
    09/09 VS DLSU (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)
    09/13 VS UST (MOA Arena)
    09/20 VS FEU (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)
    09/26 vs NU (MOA Arena)
    09/30 vs ATENEO (MOA Arena)
    10/04 vs ADU (MOA Arena)

UST GROWLING TIGERS

09/05 vs ADU (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)
    09/09 vs FEU (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)
    09/13 vs UP (MOA Arena)
    09/19 vs NU ( MOA Arena)
    09/26 vs ATENEO (MOA Arena)
    09/30 vs DLSU (MOA Arena)
    10/07 vs UE (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)

UE RED WARRIORS

09/05 vs UP (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)
    09/12 vs NU (MOA Arena)
    09/16 vs ADU (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)
    09/19 vs Ateneo (MOA Arena)
    09/23 vs FEU (MOA Arena)
    09/27 VS DLSU
    10/07 vs UST (Smar(Smart-Araneta Coliseum)t-Araneta Coliseum)

DLSU GREEN ARCHERS

09/06 VS NU (MOA Arena)
    09/09 vs UP (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)
    09/13 vs FEU (MOA Arena)
    09/20 vs ADU (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)
    09/27 vs UE (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)
    09/30 vs UST (MOA Arena)
    10/04 vs ATENEO (MOA Arena)

ATENEO BLUE EAGLES

09/06 vs FEU (MOA Arena)
    09/12 vs Adamson (MOA Arena)
    09/16 vs NU (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)
    09/19 vs UE (MOA Arena)
    09/26 vs UST (MOA Arena)
    09/30 vs UP (MOA Arena)
    10/4 vs DLSU (MOA Arena)

NU BULLDOGS

09/06 vs DLSU (MOA Arena)
    09/12 vs UE (MOA Arena)
    09/16 vs ATENEO (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)
    09/19 vs UST (MOA Arena)
    09/23 vs ADU (MOA Arena)
    09/26 vs UP (MOA Arena)
    10/07 vs FEU (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)

FEU TAMARAWS

09/06 vs Ateneo (MOA Arena)
    09/09 vs UST (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)
    09/13 vs DLSU (MOA Arena)
    09/20 vs UP (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)
    09/23 vs UE (MOA Arena)
    09/27 vs ADU (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)
    10/07 vs NU (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)

ADU SOARING FALCONS

09/05 vs UST (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)
    09/12 vs Ateneo (MOA Arena)
    09/16 vs UE (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)
    09/20 vs DLSU (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)
    09/23 vs NU (MOA Arena)
    09/27 vs FEU (Smart-Araneta Coliseum)
    10/04 vs UP (MOA Arena)
  • yestoyesto Administrator PEx Admin
    REMINDERS ON GAME THREAD

Hi Guys!

Please be reminded that we shall use official game threads started by the admins and/or mods for UAAP season 78. All game threads created by other members shall be closed or deleted to avoid confusion.

- Threads for Wednesday games will be posted every Monday.
    -Weekend games will be posted every Wednesday night or Thursday morning depending on the turn out of the Wednesday game threads.

Thanks!
  • kenilworth12kenilworth12 Go Crimson! Go Maroons! PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Burning Questions for Season 78:

1. Will there be an unbeaten team as to force the stepladder for this season? Definitely FEU if there will be one, but it's not even guaranteed.
    2. Will UP become the UAAP version of a local NCAA team, never consistent in performance but winning games, whether by guts or by double digits?
    3. Will Adamson win a single game or will the faithful there wait for next year instead?
    4. Can Bajar adjust to the UAAP's pacing and intensity that fast?
    5. Pingoy and (possibly) Cani - after the controversies, can he/they disprove the doubters that 2 years is way too long of an absence from the true game?
    6. UE - now with zero Africans, but can they get out of the cellar after all?
    7. Will 'Guard play' be the keywords of UAAP basketball season 78?
    8. Can DLSU adjust to life without its big men that partly helped them propel to the Season 76 title?
  • BubblesButtercupBubblesButtercup I Love Holly Golightly!!! PEx Expert ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1. Will there be an unbeaten team as to force the stepladder for this season? Definitely FEU if there will be one, but it's not even guaranteed.
    2. Will UP become the UAAP version of a local NCAA team, never consistent in performance but winning games, whether by guts or by double digits?
    3. Will Adamson win a single game or will the faithful there wait for next year instead?
    5. Pingoy and (possibly) Cani - after the controversies, can he/they disprove the doubters that 2 years is way too long of an absence from the true game?
    8. Can DLSU adjust to life without its big men that partly helped them propel to the Season 76 title?

1. none, feu is beatable
    2. no, they will have good games but might only win a game or 2.
    3. they might win 2, 1 each against ue and up
    4. no, he's just a filler coach
    5. a year is too long tho
    6.no
    7.no, nu is the only team with a solid pg in alolino. feu and admu are the only teams with a solid sg in tolomia and k. ravena respectively
    8. they can but they will not achieve the s76 feat.
  • numberonelebronnumberonelebron The one and only King PExer
    1. Will there be an unbeaten team as to force the stepladder for this season? –

None, every team is beatable. Lahat may weakness na madaling Makita.

I guess they could pull off some upsets, but will still miss the Final 4 anew. Di sila tulad ng chances ng women’s volleyball nila na kaya talagang umalagwa sa Final 4.

Better luck next year, or next seasons. Oh I miss Adamson in UAAP Season 74, the only team capable of beating the THEN powerhouse Ateneo but choked in the semis.

I don’t really know him so let’s see. But with UE and Adamson also struggling, they could make it to the 6th spot.

They’re two notable players back in high school but with the intensity in UAAP seniors, I don’t think they’ll make that impact. Renzo Subido of UST is as strong as them back in high school.

They could win a game or two, but UP will outperform them. Losing Sumang is like losing Lebron James.

Every good shot comes from a great play, especially the crucial ones. If this pertains to the point guard’s diskarte in a game, YES.

No. I could see La Salle Season 74 with their lineup right now. Losing AVO, Torres and even Mbala will definitely affect their season. Wala ka pang Vosotros na pamatay sunog.

Forecast for rankings:
    1. FEU
    2. NU
    3. UST
    4. Ateneo

5. La Salle
    6. UP
    7. UE
    8. Adamson
  • mrjumbo03mrjumbo03 Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

They’re two notable players back in high school but with the intensity in UAAP seniors, I don’t think they’ll make that impact. Renzo Subido of UST is as strong as them back in high school.

I think they will. Both Pingoy and Cani are true PG's compared to Subido who is a scoring PG; the latter kind have a harder time adjusting to seniors ball. Another factor is Subido had someone in front of him in Sheriff, whereas Pingoy will probably start from day 1 with Cani backstopping him; in short, they'll probably get longer leashes when on the floor compared to Subido last year. And lastly, because of the residency rule, these 2 are not coming in as gangly fresh out of HS 18 year olds. The time off allowed their bodies to mature more which should translate to being able to handle the physicality of seniors ball better. This is double-edged though, as the time away could also affect their in-game skills negatively.

I'm not saying that the 2 will come in and immediately be the best PG's in the UAAP. That probably won't happen. But they will definitely make an impact.
  • Burning Questions for Season 78:

1. Beatable lahat. For feu maybe they'll end with a 10-3 record for first seed.
    2. I'm from UP so I'm gonna say they'll play better. I'll give then a 6-8 record at best, but that would be a big leap from last season for sure.
    3. I'm not sure with Adamson's chances, but I'm excited to see Tungcab breaking Ravena's ankles. Mark this rookie! Forecast for them is ending 0-14.
    4. Yes, I believe coach rensy can adjust to the pace of UAAP. Besides, I think Ward and Gregorio's roles are more than what is being perceived of them.
    5. Their presence will be felt because they'll be playing longer minutes compared to a regular rookie. But a game-changer? I don't know.
    6. I'll give them 4-10 at best. They have promising rookies but baguhan palang sila. And Javier as their new leader doesn't sound very promising to me.
    7. It won't be exclusively guard play. Especially for Feu. Siguro ang heavy Jan is ADMU, UP, FEU, UE.
    8. I'll give dlsu 9-5 at best.

Ranking for me will be:
    FEU
    NU
    ADMU
    DLSU
    UP
    UST
    UE
    ADU
  • numberonelebronnumberonelebron The one and only King PExer
    mrjumbo03 wrote: »
    I think they will. Both Pingoy and Cani are true PG's compared to Subido who is a scoring PG; the latter kind have a harder time adjusting to seniors ball. Another factor is Subido had someone in front of him in Sheriff, whereas Pingoy will probably start from day 1 with Cani backstopping him; in short, they'll probably get longer leashes when on the floor compared to Subido last year. And lastly, because of the residency rule, these 2 are not coming in as gangly fresh out of HS 18 year olds. The time off allowed their bodies to mature more which should translate to being able to handle the physicality of seniors ball better. This is double-edged though, as the time away could also affect their in-game skills negatively.

I'm not saying that the 2 will come in and immediately be the best PG's in the UAAP. That probably won't happen. But they will definitely make an impact.

I don’t know, just my opinion. Saw many times Pingoy playing for FEU high school, medyo pa-star din. Parang Terrence Romeo na medyo bwakaw, pero si Romeo eh mas maganda ang shooting plus the ball handling which Pingoy don’t have, I guess. Pero medyo matagl na rin yun so let’s see kung mas gumaling si Pingoy. And of course let’s see if he and Ravena will have a chemistry or Garcia-Romeo ang mangyayari.
  • tamarawz_14tamarawz_14 Member PEx Guru ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    i'll put DLSU over UST in power rankings. UST is talented team but the problem is their coach, he cannot adjust quickly, walang diskarte ika nga..

FEU
    NU
    ADMU
    DLSU
    UST
    UP
    UE
    AdU

i'm still wary about UE. their pressing game is tough especially facing UP, AdU, DLSU and UST. mga kabado ang PG's nila. unlike FEU, ADMU and NU guards mga sanay na.
    My predictions (crossposted from another thread here):

FEU will become the champion.

Final Four:
    FEU
    Ateneo
    NU

(Playoff for 4th: DLSU and UST)

The rest:
    UP
    UE
    Adamson
  • princepaul21princepaul21 Moderator PEx Moderator
    My predictions (crossposted from another thread here):

FEU will become the champion.

Final Four:
    FEU
    Ateneo
    NU

(Playoff for 4th: DLSU and UST)

The rest:
    UP
    UE
    Adamson

Ask ko lang kenilworth12 bakit ang taas ng prediction ng almost lahat, including you, sa FEU? Hindi ba intact pa din ang NU? Ateneo is a rookie-laden team pero lahat blue chip rookies? DLSU din, daming blue chip rookies nito. I want to know lang your insight.
    Ask ko lang kenilworth12 bakit ang taas ng prediction ng almost lahat, including you, sa FEU? Hindi ba intact pa din ang NU? Ateneo is a rookie-laden team pero lahat blue chip rookies? DLSU din, daming blue chip rookies nito. I want to know lang your insight.

Ang NU kasi may nawalang role players rin - sina Khobuntin at Rosario. We don't really know how the rookies will pan out until a few games into the season.
  • __bahay__kubo____bahay__kubo__ Intellectually Stimulating PExer
    for now, this is how i look at things:

FEU (a complete team this year)
    NU (the benefit of being the defending champions)
    ADMU (Kiefer + Pingoy + Cani may work, but the head coach sucks and the "real coach" there is Magsanoc)
    DLSU (small ball)

UE (despite lacking in manpower, main advantage is UE having an experienced coach in the Pumarens)
    UST (has necessary personnel by Bong de la Cruz sucks as a coach)
    UP (young team)
    ADU (still an unstable program)
  • mrjumbo03mrjumbo03 Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

FEU is the most intact team in terms of their core players from last year. All other teams lost someone integral from their lineup, FEU didn't. They still have Belo-Tolomia-Pogoy-Inigo. In fact, FEU added more ceiling pa with the entry of their new import and several of their fil-fors.

NU may look intact but they lost 2 critical pieces in Rosario and Khobuntin, both of whom were major reasons for their vaunted defense. I just don't see NU replicating their stellar defense from last year because the players replacing the 2, just do not have the tools to provide the same on defense. A lot has been said about how Javelona played awesome defense on Ravena but a big part of that is because he can be as aggressive he was, knowing that he had 3 defensive demons waiting to take care of the latter if he ever gets past him. DLSU lost ceiling in Torres (who could match up with other imports), as well as the inconsistent AVO. Who knows how their young frontline will handle the other teams', specially considering that this year, almost all teams have an import whereas they don't. Ateneo lost Newsome and Elorde. While Elorde is replaceable, New's contribution will probably be replaced by committee. In comes some ceiling as well so that may offset New's loss too, by improving in other departments which were lacking last year, namely defense and rebounding.

ADMU (Kiefer + Pingoy + Cani may work, but the head coach sucks and the "real coach" there is Magsanoc)
    DLSU (small ball)

UE (despite lacking in manpower, main advantage is UE having an experienced coach in the Pumarens)
    UP (young team)

BK, what do you think of Patrimonio's insertion sa coaching team ng UST? Will it make a big impact sa coaching system ng UST? :D
    Kenil & Jumbo, how about sa rookies? Who should we keep an eye out for?
  • __bahay__kubo____bahay__kubo__ Intellectually Stimulating PExer
    BK, what do you think of Patrimonio's insertion sa coaching team ng UST? Will it make a big impact sa coaching system ng UST? :D

hindi maganda ang feedback ko regarding Patrimonio's ability to coach. sabi nga nung isang kakilala ko, kaya daw siya naging "mascot" lang ng Purefoods/San Mig Coffee/Star team after retiring from playing ay dahil "hindi siya pwedeng mag-coach". :naughty: :glee:
  • Zep_TepiZep_Tepi Carpe Diem PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    UAAP Season 78 men's srs. basketball livestream will be available here: http://sports.abs-cbn.com/livestream/uaap
  • Sbj3Sbj3 Tapak dito. Tapak doon. PEx Expert ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1) No, i think wala ako nakita na complete team although solid ang feu as always. ateneo ravena and friends. nu medyo big loss si rosario sa kanila pero team basket to e at may aroga. la salle malaki kawalan si AVO pero mas malaki kawalan di paglalaro ni Mbala. UST if ferrer can be a superstar may laban to. UE baka puro fast play to. UP right mixture of guys pero di pa natin alam kung mag-iimprove. Adamson rebuilding.

2)Maybe, if lalaro sila na fighting talaga pede to makanakaw ng panalo to. may skills ang mga guard e. nasa big man responsibilidad na padaliin buhay sa depensa at rebound. At matuto humawak ng lamang kasi nga di talaga consistent UP ever since.

3)Kung di mag-improve significantly ang UP pede makanakaw ng panalo to. Gutom to panigurado na makapaglaro.

4)Ang tanong kanino play gagamitin kay Bajar o kay Joe Ward?

5)Well if nasa condition naman pede nila madisprove nasa skills lang yan and motivation.

6)uhm they are not a final four team but the pumaren press will give teams a headache. enough to give them a shot.

7)For some time now UAAP is a guard league mas madali maghanap ng contributing na guards kesa bigs. It says a lot sa grassroots natin.

8)Tough question. They need to play by committee now especially in rebounding. Luckily they have shooters and Jeron Teng.
  • Sbj3Sbj3 Tapak dito. Tapak doon. PEx Expert ⭐⭐⭐⭐

DLSU (small ball)

UP (young team)

I think wala na sa coaching staff si Coach Ronnie. Kasama diba siya sa Announcers' Team ng UAAP this season? Correct me if I am wrong.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file