Home PEx Local Entertainment Showbiz - TV

TV5: Kano Luvs Pinay (starring Tuesday Vargas)

Tuesday Vargas reprises film role in new TV5 sitcom

By Edwin P. Sallan, InterAksyon.com
August 20, 2015 · 8:42 pm

Cine Filipino’s acclaimed 2013 comedy “Ang Turkey Man ay Pabo Rin” has been remade as a sitcom for TV5 as “Kano Luvs Pinay”.

Still dealing with the film’s depiction of a Filipina single mother and an American assigned in Manila (or “afam” as many Filipinos would call such foreigners) who met in an internet dating site and eventually fell in love, the TV series expands and eventually continues the interracial romantic comedy and its wacky bunch of characters.

“Not everyone has seen the movie so I consider it a blessing that we’re given a chance to show this again to everyone for free,” director Randolph Longjas told InterAksyon and other media during the show’s launch Wednesday.

“I don’t mind that we’re repeating some of the scenes in the movie because the good thing about repeating those scenes is that we’re repeating them with different actors and with different attacks. Surprisingly, we still found ourselves laughing out loud and having a good time in those scenes.”

Comedienne Tuesday Vargas, who is reprising her role in the film as Cookie Bigoy and the only member of the original cast to return for the TV series produced by TV5 and Unitel, feels privileged to revisit her beloved character.

“I get to best myself with the movie. After it got great reviews, I really wanted to amp my game. I thought about the complexities of Cookie’s character: she’s from Samar, she’s one of so many children and she’s balancing her life being a single mom and then comes this new man in her life,” Tuesday noted.

With the TV series, Tuesday felt it is important for her to up the ante not just because of the high expectations as a result of the film’s success but also because of the need to raise awareness on the plight of women who are stereotyped in society because of their involvement with foreigners.

“As an actor, I felt it’s my responsibility to say something through my body of work or whatever it is I’m doing. So I want to reach out to those people who weren’t given voices before especially those women who are always looked down upon and called gold diggers because they’re with a foreigner. Or tinatawag na katulong or sinasabihan na hindi magtatagal yung relasyon nila.”

For Tuesday, “Kano Loves Pinay” is a chance “to give these women airtime so people would know what their life is really all about.” Being a sitcom, the light and humorous approach of the series will provide not only plenty of life lessons but also tremendous entertainment value.

“By nature, Cookie is really a fun-loving character who takes things lightly. Chill lang siyang babae na burikak. But I don’t want her to be looked at as a cartoon or caricature of a woman. She faces so many hurdles including the cultural barriers between her and her man Matthew. I tried to flesh her out and make her as real as possible so people can relate to her when they watch this.”

American actor Lee O’ Brien who plays Matthew Adams in the sitcom said he can definitely relate to the show’s story arc as he himself is in a real-life relationship with comedienne Pokwang, his co-star in the film, “Edsa Woolworth.” Lee admits that he and Pokwang are faced with challenges similar to those faced by Cookie and Matthew.

“My goal right now is to stay here in the Philippines and be with my girlfriend in real life and be with my on-camera girlfriend and her family, our great director and our production team. I intend to go beyond that as my focus is towards making that happen,” he declared.

Asked how he is doing with speaking Tagalog, Lee said he can speak the language sporadically but proudly revealed that he is currently taking classes in Filipino.

Also starring Martin Escudero, Eula Caballero, Boboy Garrovillo, Ces Quesada, Wilma Doesnt, Kiki Baento, Jelson Bay and Chok Chok Venida, “Kano Luvs Pinay” will premiere on September 5 and will air every Saturday at 9PM on TV5.

Comments

• dc222dc222 Chang Wook oppa PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️

Looks like another fresh, unique presentation from TV5 that people won't watch. :(
    Kudos to TV5 for trying new ideas though. If only people knew how to change their channels once in a while.
  • Eto yung film na pinagbasehan nung sitcom. IMO, it's one of the best Tagalog films of 2013.

Si Tuesday lang ang natira sa original cast. Buti si Randolph Longjas pa rin ang magdidirek ng sitcom.

turkey.png
  • dc222 wrote: »

Can't help but compare that with the film trailer.

I'm interested to see how they'll stretch the material para mag-fit sa TV audience.

And sana magkaroon ang TV5 ng mala-iWantTV platform.
    Yeah, it was a great movie. I think, like their other weekly series, maybe 13 episodes ito?

TV5 posts full episodes on their website and sometimes on their YouTube, pero hindi regular eh. Dapat HD rin yung uploads nila, especially kung YouTube ang gagamitin nila. Only sometimes ang full HD eh, pero ang ganda. Makikita talaga ang high quality.
  • kwaeguhlkwaeguhl PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Infairness naman sa TV5 hindi sila tumitigil magpalabas ng kakaibang shows like Jasmine, Positive, etc.

Sana i-adapt rin nila sa tv ang Zombadings tapos mala-True Blood na campy ang treatment.
    ^That would be a good idea. It was Martin Escudero's breakout role after all.
  • forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    I liked this movie! I reviewed here in pex two years ago

I'll check this out, I hope it is as witty and insightful as the movie is

Anyway, I have friends who worked for TV5 and sadly the network has management problems so mabilis ang turnover rate dun. They have nice concepts and shows but they could not sustain them because of some internal issues.
    forg wrote: »
    Anyway, I have friends who worked for TV5 and sadly the network has management problems so mabilis ang turnover rate dun. They have nice concepts and shows but they could not sustain them because of some internal issues.

:( That's too bad. But I don't think that's a new problem. Though it shouldn't have been a problem had it been solved early.