11417337_1719370141623922_1507919920_n.jpg
11374744_1004762949564001_954397792_n.jpg

[#]AngLarawanMovie[/#] [#]rehearsals[/#]

CTO

Comments

• micamyxmicamyx PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Excited for this movie :D Sana ito ang ipinasok sa MMFF
    Follow the Facebook page for LARAWAN movie updates!

https://www.facebook.com/AngLarawanMovie?fref=ts
  • erzo01erzo01 PEx Rookie ⭐
    11096448_476104845878915_2538546322912662113_o.jpg

Introducing the entire cast of Ang Larawan, the movie (from left to right): Ogie Alcasid, Jaime Fabregas, Noel Trinidad, Dulce, Bernardo Bernardo, Nanette Inventor, Menchu Lauchengco Yulo, Rachel Alejandro, Nonie Buencamino, Joanna Ampil, Sandino Martin, Paulo Avelino, Celeste Legaspi, Robert Arevalo, Cara Manglapus, Cris Villonco and Aicelle Santos. Not in picture: Zsazsa Padilla, Rayver Cruz and Jojit Lorenzo.

What an ensemble. *okay*

Sana lang ma-i-translate ng maayos yung material from theatre to film.
    I trust Loy Arcenas to deliver since may theater background siya and his two Cinemalaya films (Nino and Requieme) were good :D

Sana suportahan ito ng lahat para manumbalik ang sigla ng mga musical films
    ^ Yeah, read some online reviews na magaganda raw yung entries niya sa Cinemalaya. Too bad wala pa kong napanood ni isa dyan. :bop:
    Yung Nino available sa http://www.taranoodtayo.tv :D

Speaking of, makanood nga ulit :lol: mas bet ko pero yung Requieme
  • crystalblastcrystalblast PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    A story that deserves to be told… retold!
    DIRECT LINE
    By Boy Abunda
    (The Philippine Star)
    July 14, 2015

One of the most well-known works of Philippine Literature is Larawan: Portrait of the Artist as Filipino by Nick Joaquin. Although written in 1950, its story of two sisters and how they find themselves and their lifestyle altered by things happening around them is still relevant today.

Now there are plans to turn the well-loved play set in pre-World War II Intramuros of Old Manila into a movie. The movers behind it are talent manager Girlie Rodis and singer Celeste Legaspi, who produced the original musical in 1997, asking for the rights from Nick Joaquin himself.

Girlie — better known as GR — explains how the project came about. It began with the stage musical, which was directed by Rolando Tinio with music by Ryan Cayabyab. It was a hit, but after that restaging, Girlie, Celeste and their team moved on to other things.

“After we staged it at the CCP to critical acclaim and we restaged it the year after, we put it in our baul. We went on to produce other things until we closed our theater producing company Musicat. But Larawan stayed in the back of my mind. Of our seven musicals, it is my favorite even if Katy is our most popular. Somehow the words of Rolando resonated with me. Ryan’s music haunted me, and I always dreamed of sharing it with more people.”

Right after they staged Larawan the first time, Armida Siguion-Reyna bought the rights from Nick Joaquin to make it into a movie. Somehow it never materialized. But Girlie and good friend (and talent) Rachel Alejandro, who played Paula in the restaging, would talk about how it would make a great movie.

That plan remained on the back burner until five years ago. “That’s when I thought about it again and started to talk to people,” shares Girlie. She approached a few directors and started tapping artists to star in the film. Celeste was in what Girlie calls “retirement mode,” but since they owned the material together, she had to be part of the discussions.

Then two years ago, Celeste — who says she needed to take some time away from producing original musicals — revived her interest in the project and got on board. With Celeste on board, everything moved faster. Celeste and Girlie formed a new company called Culturtain. They started working on the screenplay edited by Celeste’s daughter Waya and organized script readings.

Other people, including Mother Lily (who let them use her venues for their rehearsals) and Ryan’s wife Emmy Cayabyab (who lent them the Ryan Cayabyab studio) pitched in to help bring the project to fruition.

Celeste says she was inspired by Girlie’s passion for the project. “Her vision for it to be shared with the country’s youth is magical and contagious.”

It has always been their goal, says Girlie. “Our goal is for the young movie audience to see something of their past. Think of Larawan like a time travel app that gets you to Intramuros in the ’40s. They get to meet the Marasigan sisters and that time in our history before the American bombs destroyed Intramuros and its beautiful houses.”

She is convinced that while today’s youth are obsessed with big-ticket Hollywood movies that have splashy special effects, a movie like Larawan will still find an audience.

Says Girlie confidently: “I think they will be surprised to find themselves laughing and crying… the kids now are more self-aware than we give them credit for.”

Celeste says: “Larawan was written with compassion, understanding, very Pinoy humor, with many insights into the Filipino family. Our young audience will respond to all that. Spectacular effects can only amaze eyes and ears. But Larawan, with its sweeping music and stirring words, will undoubtedly touch hearts.”

There are challenges, of course, in bringing a project like this to the screen — mostly having to do with raising funds — but Girlie, Celeste and the creative team involved in Larawan are pushing forward because this is a story that deserves to be told again and again.
  • crystalblastcrystalblast PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Making time for prestige projects
    Business Mirror
    by Ricky Gallardo
    August 2, 2015

Meanwhile, Larawan, The Musical, considered as another prestige project, had its last shooting day on Sunday. Aside from the two female singer-actors, Joanna Ampil and Rachel Alejandro, the two male leads Paulo Avelino and Sandino Martin made sure that they always came to the set prepared.

Paulo is juggling between his remaining sequences for his TV soap opera Bridges of Love and his Larawan character Tony Javier. “Being part of a film-musical is tough but truly interesting. We had many, many rehearsals to achieve the vision of our director Loy Arcenas for the film.”

For his part, Sandino Martin is also working on two other projects aside from Larawan. Touted as one of the young best actors to emerge from independent cinema in recent years, Sandino is part of the new ABS-CBN drama series Ang Probinsyano, headlined by Coco Martin. He has also started work on another independent film, The Dog Shooter, where he plays the lead role.

“It’s all a matter of time management and proper scheduling,” Sandino said of having several balls in the air. “I have always dreamt of being in a teleserye and also to be part of a rare local musical film, and it’s just interesting that these two dreams came at the same time. I can only be thankful.”
    I'm really excited for this film! Sana ito na lang ang pasok sa MMFF
    Rachel Alejandro says old-fashioned values depicted in ‘Ang Larawan’ still relevant

By Edwin P. Sallan, InterAksyon.com
    July 18, 2015 · 4:26 pm

When “Ang Larawan”, the musical adaptation of Nick Joaquin’s “A Portrait of the Artist as Filipino”, was first staged in 1997, it was such a big hit that it was restaged the following year.

In the original musical, Celeste Legaspi and Zsa Zsa Padilla played spinster sisters Candida and Paula who lived in Manila prior to World War II together with their reclusive father, a painter. When it was restaged, Zsa Zsa was no longer available to reprise her role so Leah Navarro was cast as Paula. However, one week prior to the musical’s opening night, Leah lost her voice so the role of Paula had to be recast.

The producers, Celeste and Girlie Rodis, turned to Rachel Alejandro, who has since been part of the original production as in her own, words, “a mascot.”

“At that time, I was like an honorary board member of the company that produced it, Musicat. And, I was like a little assistant, Tita Girlie’s assistant. That’s why I attended all of the rehearsals, even the meetings. Even initially pa with the late Rolando Tinio who wrote the libretto, lahat yon! Plus the fact that I got to hang out with my dad everyday (cast member Hajji Alejandro) during rehearsals, kaya lagi akong nandoon,” she recalled in a recent interview with InterAksyon.

Which also means she knew “Larawan” inside out, every single scene including the songs and the dialogue. So Rachel stepped into the role, much to the chagrin of Nick Joaquin himself who watched every single show, beer bottle in hand at the very front row of the CCP Main Theater.

“I met Nick way before he figured out that I would play Paula at some point a year later. Pero, definitely hindi siya agree sa casting. He kept saying I was too young. During the actual run, he would actually yell it from the audience. I couldn’t help the fact that I was too young. I was 22, 18 years too young. But at least it’s not that I was doing so bad,” Rachel quipped.

Except for one performance where she had a hard time singing the songs because she had just done a major concert at the Folk Arts Theater (“nagkasabay-sabay na lahat ng rehearsals”), Rachel actually fared well as Paula during the second run of “Ang Larawan”.

Now, Rachel will be reprising the character of Paula anew in a big screen adaptation of “Larawan”, which also stars Joanna Ampil as Candida.

“This time, she is finally of the right age to play Paula,” chorused Celeste, Girlie and master composer Ryan Cayabyab, who wrote the music of “Larawan” and is again providing musical direction for the upcoming film.

With New York-based theater director turned filmmaker Loy Arcenas (“Niño,” “Requieme”) at the helm, “Ang Larawan” the movie also features an impressive cast that includes Paulo Avelino, Sandino Martin, Ogie Alcasid, Aicelle Santos, Robert Arevalo, Nanette Inventor, Dulce, Rayver Cruz, Jaime Fabregas, Noni Buencamino, Menchu Lauchengco-Yulo, Leo Rialp, Cris Villonco and Cara Manglapus.

Rachel, who has starred in several theater productions like “Alikabok,” “Sino Ka Ba, Jose Rizal,” “Noli Me Tangere,” “Rent” and, recently, “Rock of Ages”, describes the production as “a dream team”.

“The combination has so many winning elements. The original words of Rolando, plus the music of Ryan and now, the touch of Tito Loy Arcenas. Kung baga, dream team talaga ng mga tao na napakagagaling sa kani-kanilang specialties. That’s why napakalaking project ito for me and I definitely feel so honored to be a part of it,” she pointed out.

So now that Rachel has become a more seasoned singer and actress and as the adage goes, an older and wiser person, how does she intend to tackle the role of Paula now?

“Hindi ko pa na-experience noon kung ano ang na-experience ko ngayon eh. I was so young. As Paula, at that time, ang inisip ko lang, kung baga, ako yung kulob. Wala akong na-experience sa buhay ko and sinusunod-sunod ko lang ang kapatid ko which was played by Celeste. Hindi mahirap gawin kasi mas matanda siya sa akin. Totoong motherly siya sa akin. So yung dynamic naming dalawa hindi naging mahirap.”

“In the film, bago na yung dynamic. I am a year older than Joanna Ampil in real life. Pero in the story, Ate pa rin ni Paula si Candida. My struggle in this particular dynamic is to hold myself back because, like Joanna, I also have a strong personality. Kasi una, mas lalo pang dumami ang experiences ko. Mas lalong lumayo ang totoong pagkatao ko kay Paula who has never done anything in her life.”

Since Rachel first essayed the role of Paula in the musical, she has become more independent, has experienced her share of heartaches and has become a much stronger person as a result. Still, she still managed to find common ground with the character she has grown attached to over the years.

“I still have many things in common with Paula like we both had our share of dreams that did not come true. That’s what I’m trying to touch in this film,” she noted.

Given that “Ang Larawan” is a film set in a period where values and traditions are now considered by many as old-fashioned, would it be still relevant for the present generation of film and theater fans? Rachel very much believes so.

“I think ‘Larawan’ tackles the struggle of preserving tradition, preserving art, preserving beauty and not selling out to the world. That’s the message it is trying to convey. I’m hoping that when people watch this movie, they would think that once upon a time people had these sensibilities. Binibigyan ng importansya ang galing, ang husay ng isang tao rather than kung ano ang ikakasikat at ikayayaman nila.”
    Synopsis of Nick Joaqu?n?s ?A Portrait of the Artist as Filipino?
    Source: JOAQUIN?S ?PORTRAIT? NOW A CLASSIC
    By Ambeth R. Ocampo Phil Daily Inquirer, 27 Nov 1999

[CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]Act I

[CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]?Bitoy Camacho, an old friend of the Marasigans, pays them a visit one afternoon after many years of absence. He is greeted by the two daughters of Lorenzo Marasigan, a famous painter, who in his declining years has been living in isolation and abject poverty. Recently, he finished his latest and perhaps last major work of art, a painting he entitled Portrait of the Artist as Filipino. The sisters Paula and Candida welcome Bitoy. They reminisce about the past and the good old days. Tony Javier, a young musician renting a room in the house, comes home from work and is surprised. Tony confides to Bitoy his frustrated efforts in convincing the sisters to sell the painting to an American client.[/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]

Act II

[CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]?In the second act, Don Lorenzo is visited by Manolo and Pepang?the older brother and sister of Candida and Paula. They plan to transfer their father to a hospital and sell the house. They have invited Don Perico, a senator to convince their younger sisters. Don Perico appeals to both sisters to donate the painting to the government in exchange for a handsome pension that would relieve them of their burden. The sisters remain firm and indifferent during the debate the senator is forced to examine his life realizing too late that he has betrayed his true vocation as an artist-poet. Forlorn and devastated by remorse, [the senator] bids the sisters farewell. ?Manolo and Pepang quarrel with their younger sisters [who] are forced to reveal why their father painted the picture. They had confronted him a year before, and in pain accused him of having wasted their lives. As a reaction, he painted his last work of art and then attempted to commit suicide. ?Alone, Candida tells Paula of her frustration in job seeking. Tony Javier rushes in with news about his American client who has doubled his offer [for the painting]. In a moment of weakness, Paula abandons the house and joins Tony.[/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]

Act III

[CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]?The third act begins with Bitoy remembering the Octobers of his youth and the feast of La Naval de Manila. A group of visitors to the Marasigan home inquire about rumors that the painting and Paula have disappeared forcing Candida to admit what happened and accuses herself of masterminding the crime. Paula enters and admits to having destroyed the portrait. Crushed, Tony accuses the two women of condemning him back to poverty. He leaves cursing them. In the meanwhile, the two sisters reconcile and reaffirm their decision to remain in the house with their father. Bitoy in a monologue ends the play with a prayer deciding to dedicate his life to the preservation of Intramuros and its historical past through art and memory.?[/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER][/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]