Home PEx Sports PBA

Ask Jay P. Mercado

Comments

• ironcoachironcoach game-changer PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    Kung all-time scoring, which means the scoring wasn't exclusive with SMB, their Top 4 would be:

1. Ramon Fernandez
    2. Abet Guidaben
    3. Nelson Asaytono
    4. Allan Caidic

However, if we were to limit the scoring record made as a Beerman, then the likely Top 4 would be:

1. Fernandez
    2. Seigle
    3. Ildefonso
    4. Asaytono

pang-ilan dyan sina manny paner, marte saldana, tony torrente, jess migalbin at leo paguntalan??
  • Jay P. MercadoJay P. Mercado Moderator PEx Moderator
    ironcoach wrote: »
    pang-ilan dyan sina manny paner, marte saldana, tony torrente, jess migalbin at leo paguntalan??

Mejo malayo, Coach. Si Paner lang siguro ang malapit-lapit kasi naka-5k points siya, although wala siya sa SMB mula gitna ng 1977 hanggang 1981. So 1975-mid '77 and 1982 to 1986 lang talaga siya sa SMB franchise, yun last 5 years pa niya, mejo hindi na productive.

Si Estoy Estrada rin sana, pero hanggang 1977 lang si the late Estoy sa SMB / RTO bago ito lumipat sa Toyota, Presto at Galerie Dominique. Kaya hindi rin siguro ito aabot sa Top 4.

I'm not even sure if Fernandez is #1, baka pa nga si Seigle eh. Ato Agustin may also be hovering in the Top 10.

Si Marte naman, 1982 to 1985 lang sa SMB, yun latter part, madalas wala gawa ng injury. Lumipat ito sa Alaska nun 1986. Di umabot si Marte sa 5k points club so hindi siya siguro kasama dito. Ganun na rin sina Tony Torrente, Jess Migalbin, Leo Paguntalan, Rudy Lalota, Badong Ramas, Yoyong Martirez, etc.
    Mejo malayo, Coach. Si Paner lang siguro ang malapit-lapit kasi naka-5k points siya, although wala siya sa SMB mula gitna ng 1977 hanggang 1981. So 1975-mid '77 and 1982 to 1986 lang talaga siya sa SMB franchise, yun last 5 years pa niya, mejo hindi na productive.

Si Estoy Estrada rin sana, pero hanggang 1977 lang si the late Estoy sa SMB / RTO bago ito lumipat sa Toyota, Presto at Galerie Dominique. Kaya hindi rin siguro ito aabot sa Top 4.

I'm not even sure if Fernandez is #1, baka pa nga si Seigle eh. Ato Agustin may also be hovering in the Top 10.

Si Marte naman, 1982 to 1985 lang sa SMB, yun latter part, madalas wala gawa ng injury. Lumipat ito sa Alaska nun 1986. Di umabot si Marte sa 5k points club so hindi siya siguro kasama dito. Ganun na rin sina Tony Torrente, Jess Migalbin, Leo Paguntalan, Rudy Lalota, Badong Ramas, Yoyong Martirez, etc.

si Yoyong no-brainer naman yon. 😜 Sayang si Marte "Mighty Mite" Saldana. PBA Rookie of the Year pa mandin siya nung 1982. One of the headiest and clutch point guard of his time.
    si Yoyong no-brainer naman yon. 😜 Sayang si Marte "Mighty Mite" Saldana. PBA Rookie of the Year pa mandin siya nung 1982. One of the headiest and clutch point guard of his time.

And my favorite amateur point guard in the MICAA and the UAAP when I was growing up. Marte, along with guys like Rey Lazaro, Etok Lobo, Tony Dasalla, Bay Cristobal, Ray Obias, heck, even Anthony Williams and Christopher McGarry, etc., under Turing Valenzona, were the reasons why I wanted to study in FEU back then. I believe I cheered for the Tamaraws from 1975 to 1981.

When he played for Solid Mills and APCOR, Salda?a was one of the primary reasons. Hec Calma, who backstopped Salda?a as a third string point guard back then for the Denim Makers, couldn't hold a candle against Marte back then. Of course, Hec was able to achieve more because of the tutelage of Ron Jacobs.
    Kuya JPM, kelan ka na papainom?

Tawagan mo na sina Kerouac, LJ, etc. Sama natin si Coach!
  • James Ty IIIJames Ty III PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Jay, I hardly see Greatest Games on Pinoy Extreme. Does this mean to say that the channel has totally left that show out in the cold. Pls reply as all throwback PBA fans are asking the same question.
  • aseroasero PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Sir I-ban nio rin po ba ang nagpopost dito ng tungkol sa Alpob?
    Jay, I hardly see Greatest Games on Pinoy Extreme. Does this mean to say that the channel has totally left that show out in the cold. Pls reply as all throwback PBA fans are asking the same question.

I have no idea, James...I am not in touch anymore with the Pinoy Extreme guys!
    asero wrote: »
    Sir I-ban nio rin po ba ang nagpopost dito ng tungkol sa Alpob?

Why should I? It's fun eating popcorn while watching...:)
  • Jess24Jess24 1225 PEx Expert 🎖️
    Jay, your thoughts on the ban hammer dished out by Commissioner Narvasa. Don't you think that the penalty is a bit excessive, considering that the social media attack was aimed at a particular person, and not the league? And while it's true that Chua is "a person of authority associated with the league", don't you think that the sanction was inappropriate?
    Jess24 wrote: »
    Jay, your thoughts on the ban hammer dished out by Commissioner Narvasa. Don't you think that the penalty is a bit excessive, considering that the social media attack was aimed at a particular person, and not the league? And while it's true that Chua is "a person of authority associated with the league", don't you think that the sanction was inappropriate?

parang ang inaddress lang eh yung pagkalat, pagsiwalat at pag-bulgar sa krimen..at yung krimen "mismo" eh pinag-takpan, binalewala..tapos glinorify pa yung "kriminal". [#]sick[/#]! [#]sakit[/#]-3rdWorld
  • Zep_TepiZep_Tepi PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    parang ang inaddress lang eh yung pagkalat, pagsiwalat at pag-bulgar sa krimen..at yung krimen "mismo" eh pinag-takpan, binalewala..tapos glinorify pa yung "kriminal". [#]sick[/#]! [#]sakit[/#]-3rdWorld

Agree.

According to the commissioner:

“And upon my investigation, said stories have no factual basis. It is only a concoction of an evil and malicious mind. And if you believe that you can evade responsibility by posting said unfounded stories in a social network, you are mistaken,” the letter read.

http://sports.inquirer.net/193579/pba-slaps-indefinite-ban-on-reporter-snow-badua

But the issue did not stem from Snow's mind. It came from Poblador's mouth during her interview with Mo Twister. How can Narvasa say he investigated the matter when he could not even get the facts straight concerning its origin?

I still believe that Snow should have left this issue alone, and the fact that he was kicked off his show on PTV and constantly getting arguments on Twitter says a lot about his character. But Narvasa was too quick in his investigation, and did not even bother to summon Snow and explain his actions. If Balkman, who was caught on video choking a player, was allowed to air his side, why not Snow, who was reporting an incident that did not come from him, but a podcast on TV5?

I tried to avoid comment on this for the past couple of days simply because I had my own tussle with Badua. Or at least, he had his personal beef with me, devoting several precious TV time on his former TV show just to turn personal on me.

On a personal standpoint, from the perspective of a basketball fan and someone who was at the receiving end of his rants and tirades, I'd like to think he got what he deserved. He was practically taunting Chua to ram the hammer on him when we all know there's ill motive to this.

That said, and while I won't describe myself as a journalist or a colleague of his, I totally am in disagreement with what Narvasa did. Not just for the reasons you cited, and mind you, those were absolutely correct.

While Badua's ways may arguably need to be sanctioned, it's not the PBA's call. It's his employer's decison whether he deserves to be penalized. And that's also arguable considering his tirades on Chua came through social media (Twitter) and not through Spin.

Narvasa had no right to sanction him, period. We may argue if Badua went out of line but what the Commissioner did sent a chilling message to the writers to toe the line and not "upset" league officials. The more prudent thing to do was really to let things pass or Chua filing a complaint against his employers. Whether that would make Badua stop is something we can only guess, but that's how things should be done.

What's worse, Badua not only was barred from entering the venue during actual PBA games, if reports are indeed true, all PBA personalities are barred as well to be interviewed by the reporter. Where's the logic there? Not only does it infringe on the reporter's right to make a living, it also muzzles the right of a person to free speech.

I will agree with you that there are occasions when Badua's actions can be embarrassing to the journalistic profession. But that's the prerogative of the mediums he writes for and the bosses he reports to. It's definitely not the PBA to make that decision. That's also up to the readers to discern if his articles are worth reading.

While Badua's style of writing may not be to my liking, I won't stop anyone from criticizing such approach. But at the same time, I won't stop him from continue doing this, so long as he doesn't exceed the boundaries of journalistic ethics.

Just for this once, I'm actually siding with Badua, despite his vain attempt to embarrass me on his former TV show. Nothing personal, but I will only side with what I feel is right.
    Zep_Tepi wrote: »
    Agree.

According to the commissioner:

“And upon my investigation, said stories have no factual basis. It is only a concoction of an evil and malicious mind. And if you believe that you can evade responsibility by posting said unfounded stories in a social network, you are mistaken,” the letter read.

http://sports.inquirer.net/193579/pba-slaps-indefinite-ban-on-reporter-snow-badua

But the issue did not stem from Snow's mind. It came from Poblador's mouth during her interview with Mo Twister. How can Narvasa say he investigated the matter when he could not even get the facts straight concerning its origin?

I still believe that Snow should have left this issue alone, and the fact that he was kicked off his show on PTV and constantly getting arguments on Twitter says a lot about his character. But Narvasa was too quick in his investigation, and did not even bother to summon Snow and explain his actions. If Balkman, who was caught on video choking a player, was allowed to air his side, why not Snow, who was reporting an incident that did not come from him, but a podcast on TV5?

Ang opinion ko naman, aside from the AlPob issue, marami kaseng tirada si Snow kay Chua which falls on the "no factual basis" category e.g. yung issues sa trades among teams, appointments of SMC personnel, etc. So mejo irresponsible nga talaga yung mga statement na yun considering na wala namang matinong source na sinasabi si Snow.

But still, I find the sanction excessive and inappropriate. Kase, hinde naman proper party yung liga dun sa mga banat ni Snow, so why ban him from covering the games? Siguro kung mga banat regarding league integrity and usapan I would understand, pero the attack was on Chua, not on the league, not on how the league is operated. In fact, one can argue that Chua can file a libel case vs Snow, pero yung liga ang nag-ban syo, I just don't understand where that came from.
    I tried to avoid comment on this for the past couple of days simply because I had my own tussle with Badua. Or at least, he had his personal beef with me, devoting several precious TV time on his former TV show just to turn personal on me.

On a personal standpoint, from the perspective of a basketball fan and someone who was at the receiving end of his rants and tirades, I'd like to think he got what he deserved. He was practically taunting Chua to ram the hammer on him when we all know there's ill motive to this.

That said, and while I won't describe myself as a journalist or a colleague of his, I totally am in disagreement with what Narvasa did. Not just for the reasons you cited, and mind you, those were absolutely correct.

While Badua's ways may arguably need to be sanctioned, it's not the PBA's call. It's his employer's decison whether he deserves to be penalized. And that's also arguable considering his tirades on Chua came through social media (Twitter) and not through Spin.

Narvasa had no right to sanction him, period. We may argue if Badua went out of line but what the Commissioner did sent a chilling message to the writers to toe the line and not "upset" league officials. The more prudent thing to do was really to let things pass or Chua filing a complaint against his employers. Whether that would make Badua stop is something we can only guess, but that's how things should be done.

What's worse, Badua not only was barred from entering the venue during actual PBA games, if reports are indeed true, all PBA personalities are barred as well to be interviewed by the reporter. Where's the logic there? Not only does it infringe on the reporter's right to make a living, it also muzzles the right of a person to free speech.

I will agree with you that there are occasions when Badua's actions can be embarrassing to the journalistic profession. But that's the prerogative of the mediums he writes for and the bosses he reports to. It's definitely not the PBA to make that decision. That's also up to the readers to discern if his articles are worth reading.

While Badua's style of writing may not be to my liking, I won't stop anyone from criticizing such approach. But at the same time, I won't stop him from continue doing this, so long as he doesn't exceed the boundaries of journalistic ethics.

Just for this once, I'm actually siding with Badua, despite his vain attempt to embarrass me on his former TV show. Nothing personal, but I will only side with what I feel is right.

Once must wonder why Narvasa seems to have overreacted like he had a personal beef of his own. Or maybe, as some have speculated, the 'padrino' in him made the call.
  • junjun28junjun28 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    kakasuya na talaga kung gaano karumi ang pba ngayon. before maeexcite ka pa sa mga games na mangyayare. ngayon parang naging WWE na lang. kahit na alam na kalokohan lang marami pa din naeentertain.
    Once must wonder why Narvasa seems to have overreacted like he had a personal beef of his own. Or maybe, as some have speculated, the 'padrino' in him made the call.

Chua didn't reach this lofty status at SMC if he doesn't know how to sweet talk. It's his calling card from day one - when he became Joe Lipa's understudy at Phillips Sardines, to Bong Tan's trusted associate at Tanduay / Stag, then Norman Black's assistant at Sta. Lucia before coddling up with Buddy Encarnado and Exie Robles to take Black's place with the Realtors. Curiously, his career resurrected when Noli Eala plucked him out from virtual retirement to serve as consultant, later, coach of Ginebra, a move that just didn't equate to anything logical.

And now, he's extremely close to RSA and may be one of only a few people that has RSA's ears. You have to give him credit with that particular skill, his ability to play "politics" is topnotch. His relationship with Narvasa (and yes, even with Yeng Guiao) goes a long way back, being one of the active officials of the BCAP.

But regardless, Narvasa must know how to separate the chaff from the wheat when he makes decisions in an official function. Banning Badua is nothing short of political patronage to his friend and the head of basketball operations of the owner of 3 (some say 5) PBA teams. At the end of the day, banning Badua was the easier thing to do than ruffling the feathers of the PBA community, in particular, SMC's.

Badua ultimately became the convenient scapegoat.
  • BubblesButtercupBubblesButtercup I Love Holly Golightly!!! PEx Expert 🎖️
    ser jpm medyo connect naman tong itatanong ko kasi mod ka naman dito..

ser di ba talaga kaya mafilter yung mga thread na ginagawa dito sa pex? kasi ang daming dummy na gumagawa ng thread na walang katuturan sumasama tuloy sila sa mga dating threads na konek naman sa pba.

baka ser pwede iapprove nyo muna bago mapublish yung thread para mafilter yung legit thread o hinde. parang virus pa nga ata yung mga links na nilalagay nila dun. ayun lang ser. hehe ty :D
    ser jpm medyo connect naman tong itatanong ko kasi mod ka naman dito..

ser di ba talaga kaya mafilter yung mga thread na ginagawa dito sa pex? kasi ang daming dummy na gumagawa ng thread na walang katuturan sumasama tuloy sila sa mga dating threads na konek naman sa pba.

baka ser pwede iapprove nyo muna bago mapublish yung thread para mafilter yung legit thread o hinde. parang virus pa nga ata yung mga links na nilalagay nila dun. ayun lang ser. hehe ty :D

Maganda sana pag delete nung mga piracy posts mabura mismo dun sa board yung thread. PEX has become unsightly with all the deleted threads and the legit threads pushed back to page 2.

But the situation is even worse in the Sports Zone and Football boards.