Ask Jay P. Mercado

Player_1Player_1 Ready ✭✭✭
Well, someone has to do this thread. :rotflmao:

Comments

• Player_1Player_1 Ready ✭✭✭
    Let's start :glee:
    Player_1 wrote: »
    @JPM

talking about suspension, pano kung yung import is bound to be replaced then he committed an act worthy of 1 game suspension. Incidentally, next game he'll be replaced by the new import. Is the team bound to play import-less for the next game?
    lawgone wrote: »
    Well dapat nga ganun. Kaso nasa Ginebra sya nung nangyari yun. I was also thinking na paano kung natanggal sya sa pagiging head coach for quite some time, then bumalik after 2 seasons, suspended pa rin kaya sya sa 1st game nya? Anyway, too much of the what if scenarios hehe.
  • James Ty IIIJames Ty III Member ✭✭✭
    Jay, why did you leave Greatest Games? Since you left, Pinoy Extreme has been airing less classic PBA games and is now airing a lot of games of the NAASCU and Liga Pilipinas. Blame it on the station's new management.
  • Jay P. MercadoJay P. Mercado Moderator PEx Moderator
    Jay, why did you leave Greatest Games? Since you left, Pinoy Extreme has been airing less classic PBA games and is now airing a lot of games of the NAASCU and Liga Pilipinas. Blame it on the station's new management.

My long-time childhood buddy and Executive Producer, Ken Fortun, left for Bahrain to run one of the top networks there. When he left, he was still running Greatest Games and I was still doing the programming, He opted not to renew his contract with the PBA but since he had the rights to it, offered this to the owner of Pinoy Extreme, Gary Laureano. He took over the role of financier and executive producer of the show.

With Ken gone, it was prudent for me to leave as well.

As for their programming, they obviously gave more primetime attention to their other self-produced programs compared to the PBA. Unlike before when we had at least four 1.5-hour segments a day, or equivalent to 6 hours (sometimes going up to 6, or equivalent to 9 hours), I think they only air the games once a day.
    Let's start :glee:

Answered this question already on the Ginebra thread, but to summarize, when an import is meted out a one-game suspension, the penalty is carried out to the whole team. In essence, even if he's replaced, the new import cannot play immediately in the succeeding game until the old import has served his penalty.

On the other hand, the coach is treated more as an individual, with the penalty most likely being given out only to the person. Ergo, when he gets transferred, his suspension won't be carried out by the team that he left.

Why is there a difference? I'm guessing it's the impact that these two personalities have on the outcome of the game. An import's absence would severely affect the chances of a team, so if he gets penalized by the Commissioner with a suspension, that means it's almost a lock that the said team will lose the next game. On the other hand, the coach, while still having significant influence, doesn't wield as much. Which is in a way, mitigated by the Commissioner by giving higher fines to the coaches compared to the players for misdemeanor.
  • James Ty IIIJames Ty III Member ✭✭✭
    My long-time childhood buddy and Executive Producer, Ken Fortun, left for Bahrain to run one of the top networks there. When he left, he was still running Greatest Games and I was still doing the programming, He opted not to renew his contract with the PBA but since he had the rights to it, offered this to the owner of Pinoy Extreme, Gary Laureano. He took over the role of financier and executive producer of the show.

With Ken gone, it was prudent for me to leave as well.

As for their programming, they obviously gave more primetime attention to their other self-produced programs compared to the PBA. Unlike before when we had at least four 1.5-hour segments a day, or equivalent to 6 hours (sometimes going up to 6, or equivalent to 9 hours), I think they only air the games once a day.

I observed that. However, they were able to show some new games like Mobiline vs Pop Cola in 1999 and Shell vs Hills Bros in 1987.

Is Gary Laureano now the one running Pinoy Extreme? That channel has also added Turf TV which features local hip-hop and RNB artists, as well as World Poker Tour. Every midnight, Pinoy Extreme now airs Jai Alai which Solar Sports used to show.
  • Jess24Jess24 1225 ✭✭✭✭
    Jay, are the other guys from MyPBA here too, especially the "senior" ones? :love:

Haven't seen the other guys. Arnold is no longer active. I think Pie posts once in a while. :)
    I observed that. However, they were able to show some new games like Mobiline vs Pop Cola in 1999 and Shell vs Hills Bros in 1987.

Is Gary Laureano now the one running Pinoy Extreme? That channel has also added Turf TV which features local hip-hop and RNB artists, as well as World Poker Tour. Every midnight, Pinoy Extreme now airs Jai Alai which Solar Sports used to show.

Yes, there was a time when jai alai was aired on both Solar Sports and Pinoy Extreme at midnight. Not sure if it's still being aired with the former.

Yes, they even highlighted the Anejo-Purefoods Game 4 Finals (won by the 65ers) back in 1988, the first and only All Filipino crown won by Robert Jaworski as playing coach. Haven't seen this aired yet though, but they had a long advertisement dedicated specifically to this. Plus, I think they already have copies of the Bal David hail mary shot against SMB in 1997 with Chino Trinidad doing the play-by-play.

Gary Laureano has always been the one running Pinoy Extreme. He's Ken's good friend, and Ken was a welcome blocktimer of the network when he brought in the Greatest Games. He had grand plans with the Greatest Games, and even wanted me to come out on air before and after the games to do "analysis" of the said game, not unlike what Andy Jao did with the initial episodes. I declined naturally, opting to provide written content instead... :)
    Jess24 wrote: »
    Jay, are the other guys from MyPBA here too, especially the "senior" ones? :love:

Haven't seen the other guys. Arnold is no longer active. I think Pie posts once in a while. :)

Hardly. Tayo na lang ata. Si Windblown (Jong) alam ko, he posts once in a while. Si Pie, once in a while din sa Purefoods page. Si Kulitz (Bernie), andito siya at very regular siya sa Ginebra page. Kilala mo siya for sure dun. PM mo na lang sakin kung sino hula mo.

Si Supersonic (Ariel), inactive na rin. College na anak niya sa States kaya mejo tutok na talaga at work. Unless nasa NBA pages siya, pero I doubt, especially after Seattle's franchise went to Oklahoma. Si Ch2sagana, paminsan-minsan na lang rin. He's based in the US as well with his lovely wife and once when he got home, we had lunch at Dampa together. Si Ninong (Mikey), di na rin gaano nagpo-post ata. Active rin siya dati sa political page ng PEx.

Sina Percy, DQ, Sympatia, Chauvi, wala na rin...Meron pa siguro pero I just forgot at this time...
    ^ Aww, sayang. Si Andy Jao lang palagi kong nakikita dati.

Honestly, Game 1 lang ng Purefoods Cornedbeef Cowboys vs Gordon's Gin Boars ang lagi ko napapanood. Hindi ko napanood yung ibang part ng series. :lol:
    ^ Aww, sayang. Si Andy Jao lang palagi kong nakikita dati.

Honestly, Game 1 lang ng Purefoods Cornedbeef Cowboys vs Gordon's Gin Boars ang lagi ko napapanood. Hindi ko napanood yung ibang part ng series. :lol:

Believe it or not, when I was reviewing their inventory of tapes, most of the games missing were the championship wins of Ginebra (1986, 1988, 1991, 1997) under Jaworski's time. This is the inventory that the PBA office has. Apparently, they lent out some of these tapes but never got these back. What we've done instead was to have the tapes digitized, discarded these when it's no longer playable, but gave the league a CD copy of this for preservation.

The 1997 AFC series between Purefoods and Ginebra had 6 games, but only the first 4 games were available. Game 5 (the Ginebra win when Vince Hizon blocked Dindo Pumaren's layup just after the latter stole the ball from him in the crucial seconds) and Game 6 (Purefoods winning the title) were both missing.
    Believe it or not, when I was reviewing their inventory of tapes, most of the games missing were the championship wins of Ginebra (1986, 1988, 1991, 1997) under Jaworski's time. This is the inventory that the PBA office has. Apparently, they lent out some of these tapes but never got these back. What we've done instead was to have the tapes digitized, discarded these when it's no longer playable, but gave the league a CD copy of this for preservation.

The 1997 AFC series between Purefoods and Ginebra had 6 games, but only the first 4 games were available. Game 5 (the Ginebra win when Vince Hizon blocked Dindo Pumaren's layup just after the latter stole the ball from him in the crucial seconds) and Game 6 (Purefoods winning the title) were both missing.

Sayang naman yung mga nawalang tapes. Baka ginawang memorabilia nung kumuha. After all, it was a Ginebra/Jaworski championship :naughty:

Speaking of memorabilia, I don't know if last year or the year before, there was a PBA memorabilia display in Robinson's Forum Mandaluyong. Never got to see that one.
  • Jess24Jess24 1225 ✭✭✭✭
    Hardly. Tayo na lang ata. Si Windblown (Jong) alam ko, he posts once in a while. Si Pie, once in a while din sa Purefoods page. Si Kulitz (Bernie), andito siya at very regular siya sa Ginebra page. Kilala mo siya for sure dun. PM mo na lang sakin kung sino hula mo.

Si Supersonic (Ariel), inactive na rin. College na anak niya sa States kaya mejo tutok na talaga at work. Unless nasa NBA pages siya, pero I doubt, especially after Seattle's franchise went to Oklahoma. Si Ch2sagana, paminsan-minsan na lang rin. He's based in the US as well with his lovely wife and once when he got home, we had lunch at Dampa together. Si Ninong (Mikey), di na rin gaano nagpo-post ata. Active rin siya dati sa political page ng PEx.

Sina Percy, DQ, Sympatia, Chauvi, wala na rin...Meron pa siguro pero I just forgot at this time...

Thanks, Jay. I stil get to to talk to Chito on FB. Si Arnold dun ko na lang din nakikita eh. Baka pagnagchampion Lakers, sumulpot dito :lol:

Kinda miss MyPBA. No offense to today's posters, but the MyPBA threads (and early Pex threads) contained quality discussions and posts. Yun yung tipong 1 on 1 kayo sa thread but the conversation was smart but fiery without resorting to trolling.
  • matt_murdockmatt_murdock Member
    Same here Jess and Pareng JPM. Nakakamiss ang old MyPBA and I would say that it was really a good virtual community which extended to real and great friendships.
    Same here Jess and Pareng JPM. Nakakamiss ang old MyPBA and I would say that it was really a good virtual community which extended to real and great friendships.

Honga eh....biruin mo, kumpare kong tunay si Palaboy (Rowell) kasi inaanak ko yun unang anak niya. Tapos, si DQ, nakakatulong sakin pag may kailangan ko ng NSO certificate. Bukod dun, may real-life relationships that were forged, most notable were our two admins back then - si Palaboy and Marty McFly (Saedel).

It was a good community indeed, a forum that had a very ideal culture that allowed members to embrace the concept.
    Kumpare natin!hahaha! Ang laki na siguro ni Iya (not sure if I got her name correctly). Do you still have contact/s with Pareng Palaboy at Kumareng Cheng (?)? I think yung relationship din nila ay nagsimula sa forum, hanggang mauwi sa kasalan. The ever reliable DQ of course.hehehe!
    Wala na masyado. I don't have Rowell and Ching's digits but I still have Iya's christmas gifts with me as I don't know how to send these. Since 2008 pa ata yung mga yun - bili ako ng bili taon-taon, pero di naman nabibigay. Haha!

Si Marty and Andeng naman yun nagkatuluyan, may anak na rin sila. Si Mama Zang, nasa Indiana na!
  • Jess24Jess24 1225 ✭✭✭✭

oo nga eh. Marty is a friend on FB. Same with Mark (I forgot his handle) but he's based in Japan.

Jay, Mama Zang is in Indiana?
  • tiyo_panchotiyo_pancho Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ang gusto ko mapanood ulit, yung replay ng game winning shot ni destroyer, against Shell (finals ba yun?). 2 secs left, lamang ang shell ng isa & ginebra's ball. Jawo called for a TO. Rudy to receive the inbound pass. Tanda ko pa yung instruction ni Tatang......"Wala nang isip-isip. Pag tanggap mo, Itira mo na!"

Upon receiving the ball, rudy did a difficult fade away shot from the side, w/ the outstretch arms of defenders. Pasok!

Naiyak si Distrito noon. Pandemonium. Ang saya ng Barangay.

Sana meron sa XTreme, para ipapanood ko sa mga anak ko yung Ginebra noon under Jawo.
    Yup, she's there, married to an American. You can check her out in my FB friend list if you like.

That's Mark Agustin, who's based in Tokyo. Several years ago, he and Jong (Windblown) were practically the bunso in the MYPBA family. That, plus the Powerpuff Girls who are all my friends in FB as well!
    It's MarkD, Jess. BTW, how's your coffee? (tama ba, life is a cup of coffee?) :) Trip down the memory lane ako bigla. I can still recall when we made JPM's former company as our sponsor in a basketball league at hindi naman napahiya since we won the championship with a matching news article pa courtesy of coach Rey.

Are you still connected with that company pareng Jay?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file