Home PEx Sports PBA

Are you OK with this "Asian Imports in the PBA" to be on a regular basis?

KevinDurantKevinDurant PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
I am just asking this to my co-posters here to hear your thoughts.

Personally I don't like it because I feel it is disadvantageous to small market teams like ROS and Alaska. We all know they have their "reasons" but you could say that its only press release cause of budgetary constraints. Very odd to watch two teams battling in which one has 2 imports and the other only one.

Another thing is that we don't get the best of them. Well maybe except for Sam Daghles there are no big names. The target is to have a market in the Asian region but if we don't get the big names it won't be done.

Also they should scrap the height limit for this because as we all know their only advantage against Pinoy players is height. We are the 2nd best team in Asia in the last FIBA tournament and then suddenly we'll get these no names as imports. I consider it a waste of money because imports are hired because they should be better.

Cause if their skill set is just the same as of our Pinoy players, having an Asian import just lessens the minutes of one homegrown player.

Another is if they'll implement that scheme, then all teams must be required to have one. Not this set up that it is optional, obviously favoring the richer teams.

That's just my take. If we won't get the best of them then scrap it. If it would be just optional then scrap it. I'd rather have the regular unli height in the 2nd conference and the 6'5" and in the 3rd conference.

Thats just me anyway.

Comments

• tiyo_panchotiyo_pancho Member PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    And besides, kokonti pagpipilian. Aside from the m.east teams, korea or taiwan or china lang pwede pagkukunan.

Ang gagaling nila sa youtube highlights nila, pag dating nila rito, nganga. Hirap, kasi iba ang laro sa pba. Iba ang physicality at yung defense. Now kung siguro mga 6'5" pataas ang ht limit, medyo may advantage. Pero kung 6'3", pababa, mamani-in lang ng mga pinoy players yan.
  • KevinDurantKevinDurant PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    my point exactly. Kung yung Abbas brothers ng Jordan o kahit Fadi El Khatib yung dumating pwede ok pa sa akin. Also some Korean shooters sana. But with the Chinese league being now the 2nd richest league in the world, malabo na tayo makakuha ng quality Asian imports. Kahit nga yung NBA vets na dati sa Europe ang punta if they can't get an NBA contract sa China na naglalaro.
  • Jess24Jess24 PEx Expert 🎖️
    hinde tayo makakakuha ng quality Asian imports because the good players will always play in their own native leagues, which incidentally, has almost the same schedule as the PBA. Si Daghles, 36 years old na, and the Im pretty sure it was Tab Baldwin who recruited him here.

So yung pupunta dito ay either has-beens or players who have not turned pro yet in their countries or guys who play in countries who don't have a competitive league as ours (hello Sanchir).
  • jsonmilesjsonmiles Member PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    Daming youtube views nun first game ni Jet Chang sa PBA from Taiwan..Sanchir was big star in Mongolia (basketball following in Mongolia is better than our following in UFL and can be compared to our V league)Mongolia is a good team di tsamba yun 8th place nila sa asian just one place above us..:D

Marketing wise this was a brilliant move and for struggling teams like Kia, Global and Meralco they become a great help.

Daghlas at Madanly pa nga ang mukhang di makasabay sa depensahan at pisikalan PBA(kita mo kalibre nila).. PBA is a young man's league..

The imports are not here to dominate the ball..they here to complement the powerhouse teams, plug help for teams like Kia, Global and Meralco..
    And believe me yun mga nandito eh subok na internationally halos wala rin pinagkaiba kung yun ibang "stars" yun nandito 6'3 man o above..
  • having asian imports is good at least in making pba popular

who would have thought that mongolia would take notice of the pba(and to a lesser extent, ginebra's penchant of benching players) if not by having sanchir as an import?

ang pangit lang dito is yung height limit, i believe the philippines is the asian country with the best line up of guards. by having a height limit that would only accommodate guards, wala masyadong impact naibibigay nito...unless yung team mo kasi is lacking a decent pg like meralco or your star pg is still resting like tnt (yes, mvp teams! coincidentally, affiliated sa mvp group yung nagpropose nito)

i say, lets continue with this scheme pero lift the height limit to promote competition
  • lovejoneslovejones living the martini life PEx Expert 🎖️
    i would like to propose that the third conference be the asian-reinforcement conference. here, all teams will get 1 asian import each. the top 8 teams can bring in imports with the height limit of 6' 5 or 6'6 (para pasok yung katulad nina bahrami and the bangsboy of taipei) while the bottom 4 will get 6'10 or unlimited height (hamed hadadi, etc).

at dahil dito, we will have 3 distinct conferences sa pba:

1st conference - all-filipino
    2nd conference - american (non-asian) reinforced conference
    3rd conference - asian-reinforced
  • lovejones wrote: »
    i would like to propose that the third conference be the asian-reinforcement conference. here, all teams will get 1 asian import each. the top 8 teams can bring in imports with the height limit of 6' 5 or 6'6 (para pasok yung katulad nina bahrami and the bangsboy of taipei) while the bottom 4 will get 6'10 or unlimited height (hamed hadadi, etc).

ok sa akin yan but with some tweaking

unli height for asian imports for all teams pero yung bottom 4 can sign up a non-asian player with 6'6 height
  • lovejones wrote: »

I like this idea.
  • renaissance11renaissance11 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    siyempre naisip naman ng pba ang potential pros and cons nito, for me mas madami ang pros, experiment period pa lang naman ito, it will make PBA popular inside and outside phils.
  • mas maganda kung gawing invitationals ang 3rd conference. 3 international guest team plus Gilas Pilipinas. Dagdag practice na din yan sa national team ng Pilipinas. unlimited height import sa mga teams na may players na maglalaro sa Gilas.
  • Wag na kayong umasa sa invitationals. hirap makakuha ng teams, what more MATINONG TEAMS. ito ngang matinong asian imports hirap nang makakuha ng matino.

Ok na itong Asian imports if there are more than 10 teams in the PBA. Kung 10 or less, wag na muna. Sayang roster spot sa mga locals.

okay din siguro na gawing asian reinforced confy itong govs cup. patapos na ang mga tournaments sa mga ibang bansa we could get asian imports on teams that had been eliminated already.
    Ok, but for me, hindi na dapat optional. Kung required lahat dapat meron. I think some will agree here. Kasi pangit talaga tingnan na yung isang team 2 import tapos yung kabila isa lang.

Kung isang non asian at isang asian dapat ganun. Kung dun sa proposal ni lovejones na gawing asian import lang sa third confy ok din.

What's bothering me is that yung stronger teams meron. Yung iba wala. Or yung kulelat na 4 teams sa second confy ang allowed dapat kumuha ng Asian.

But as long as we get lemons na Asian imports parang aksaya lang ito ng pera and also yung playing time na dapat sa locals sayang.
  • _Phoenix7__Phoenix7_ BEST IN THE WORLD. PEx Expert 🎖️
    I think the idea of promoting Asian basketball through the Asian imports is a good idea. The execution right now could be improved a lot. Pero okay lang yan, let's just think of this as a test run.

As to how to improve it, here is my unsolicited opinion:

(1) If we are going with basically the same format, at least reverse the height limits - Make the Asian imports have the unlimited height and the non-Asian imports a height limit of somewhere between 6"3 to 6"5. Mas maliit na nga ang pool of players from Asia (compared to the whole world), tas i-lilimit mo pa yung height? Parang mali yun.

(2) If we are going to change it, make it so that hindi mag mukhang optional yung asian import. Something like this maybe:

1st Conference: "All-World" PBA Conference - All teams are allowed one import of any nationality, of any height.
    2nd Conference: "All-Asia" PBA Conference - All teams are allowed one import of Asian descent, of any height. In addition, the bottom 4 teams in the 1st conference can hire another import of any nationality (or maybe Asian lang ulit talaga), with a height limit of 6"4'.
    3rd Conference: All-Filipino Conference.

Hinuli ko yung AFC kasi I think, and I feel most of you would agree with this, yung All-Filipino yung pinaka prestigious of the three conferences, so feeling ko dapat huli sya.

Plus, meron syang dating na paliit ng paliit yung pool ng players mo. From having players all over the world (1st conf.) to having players mainly from Asia only, to having all-Filipino players only.

P.S. Added benefits:
    Kung kagagaling sa national team duty ng ilang players natin, may option ang team na hindi pa sila gamitin masyado during the 1st conference kasi nga, may import naman na. Likewise, applicants/rookies from the college leagues na nag-o-overlap ang season would also benefit from such a format. With an import, unless blue chip rookie ka talaga, madalas maliit playing time ng rookie. So since nasa dulo ang AFC, kahit ma draft sila, ok lang na di pa sila makalaro masyado sa 1st conference since may import naman nga.
    Ok, but for me, hindi na dapat optional. Kung required lahat dapat meron. I think some will agree here. Kasi pangit talaga tingnan na yung isang team 2 import tapos yung kabila isa lang.

Kung isang non asian at isang asian dapat ganun. Kung dun sa proposal ni lovejones na gawing asian import lang sa third confy ok din.

What's bothering me is that yung stronger teams meron. Yung iba wala. Or yung kulelat na 4 teams sa second confy ang allowed dapat kumuha ng Asian.

But as long as we get lemons na Asian imports parang aksaya lang ito ng pera and also yung playing time na dapat sa locals sayang.

Its a matter of expectation..pag all asian naman di naman gnun kalaki ang gap kung meron ka o walang import diba? Edi imaximize mo si local..Eh gusto nilang kumuha ng big man from middle east para ipantapat kay fajardo at slaughter o kung may limit eh gusto nilang kumuha ng wing man/scorer/guard dahil injured mahina sila posisyon na yun no issue kasi pinunan lang nila yun wala sa local crew nila that time and hopefully wala silang sinapawan na key player talaga..

Its all about getting started, if it become successful the future will say that PBA would take the next step in globalizing the league..
  • _Phoenix7_ wrote: »
    I think the idea of promoting Asian basketball through the Asian imports is a good idea. The execution right now could be improved a lot. Pero okay lang yan, let's just think of this as a test run.

As to how to improve it, here is my unsolicited opinion:

(1) If we are going with basically the same format, at least reverse the height limits - Make the Asian imports have the unlimited height and the non-Asian imports a height limit of somewhere between 6"3 to 6"5. Mas maliit na nga ang pool of players from Asia (compared to the whole world), tas i-lilimit mo pa yung height? Parang mali yun.

(2) If we are going to change it, make it so that hindi mag mukhang optional yung asian import. Something like this maybe:

1st Conference: "All-World" PBA Conference - All teams are allowed one import of any nationality, of any height.
    2nd Conference: "All-Asia" PBA Conference - All teams are allowed one import of Asian descent, of any height. In addition, the bottom 4 teams in the 1st conference can hire another import of any nationality (or maybe Asian lang ulit talaga), with a height limit of 6"4'.
    3rd Conference: All-Filipino Conference.

Hinuli ko yung AFC kasi I think, and I feel most of you would agree with this, yung All-Filipino yung pinaka prestigious of the three conferences, so feeling ko dapat huli sya.

Plus, meron syang dating na paliit ng paliit yung pool ng players mo. From having players all over the world (1st conf.) to having players mainly from Asia only, to having all-Filipino players only.

P.S. Added benefits:
    Kung kagagaling sa national team duty ng ilang players natin, may option ang team na hindi pa sila gamitin masyado during the 1st conference kasi nga, may import naman na. Likewise, applicants/rookies from the college leagues na nag-o-overlap ang season would also benefit from such a format. With an import, unless blue chip rookie ka talaga, madalas maliit playing time ng rookie. So since nasa dulo ang AFC, kahit ma draft sila, ok lang na di pa sila makalaro masyado sa 1st conference since may import naman nga.

i think mas ok kung unahin yung all filipino conference kasi yung player sobrang pagod na sa third conference sa dami ng laro. kung mauuna yung all pinoy, pag dating ng import reinforced conferences, may chance na magpahinga yung player since may import naman who could pick up the slack for him
  • _Phoenix7__Phoenix7_ BEST IN THE WORLD. PEx Expert 🎖️
    i think mas ok kung unahin yung all filipino conference kasi yung player sobrang pagod na sa third conference sa dami ng laro. kung mauuna yung all pinoy, pag dating ng import reinforced conferences, may chance na magpahinga yung player since may import naman who could pick up the slack for him

True. I feel like both formats have their pros and cons. So yun.
  • Hindi feasible na gawing UNLI asian import ang 3nd conference dahil tiyak big market teams lang ang mkakakuha kila Heddadi, Yi Jianlian to name a few. Then also masyadong shallow ang choices. Yung 2nd at 3rd conference naman allowed kahit sinong import e. So prerogative na ng team kung anong nationality ang kukunin nila bakit kelangan pang gawin solely for asians lang na kakaunti ang magiging choices.;)
  • Maganda yung asian import. Nabuhay ang liga at merong bagong twist yung tournament. At least naexpose ang public na marami ring asians na magagaling talaga kaya hirap tayo sa asia. Sa players naman at least nafamiliar8ze sila sa mga elite asian players parang libreng scouting na rin
    This is a crazy proposal

Since BW and Kia would be shorthanded in terms of manpower next Philippine Cup might as well allow them to field 6'3 below asian imports to handicap them. Because tatargetin lang ng mga powerhouse teams yun mga draft picks nila if magcocontinue sila with their lineups..
    Di ko alam yung sinasabing marketing potential kasi bihirang PBA brand naman ang nasa market ng ibang bansa. Pagkaka alam ko San Miguel lang ang nabibili outside. Yes Kia siguro but majority di naman nabebenta sa Asia yung product nila. Tama na yung games ng PBA sa ibang bansa like Dubai recently, or sa Taiwan o Singapore atleast twice a confy. Dun mas lalakas ang hatak ng PBA. Kasi most of Asian country na target market ng PBA hindi naman gaano kasikat ang basketball.

The only thing na mag agree ako rito is if we get nga yung best Asian players. Sana mangyari..