Home PEx Campus College of Saint Benilde

Benilde Froshie in Architecture?

Hi ! :) so, Benilde is my dream school because of it's architecture and once i saw the SDA building i was like THIS is where i'm going to begin to be an architect :hmm:

Questions guys :

1. To those archi students, is arki a hard course to take? like on a scale 1-10 is it stressful? :(

2. Kasi i live in pasig and it'll prolly take me 1-3 hours to commute there, (i'm a girl btw), and i know kapag arki student medj madami projects like mga scale model so it'll prolly be hard to make hakot right? point is, Kaya ba ? :love: no one trusts me make pa-dorm eh :hmm:

3. SA sda scholarship portfolio, can i put other works not really related to arki? like sketches of humans and not really structure stuff? :hmm:

4. Yung froshie year ba may architecture may halo na ba ng arki topic or medj lang? My parents said kasi kpag fresh man and sophomore year, onti lang yung topics ng course mo, more on main subjects like math sci eng... tas once you get to junior ansd senior year, super focused na on Arki.. :bashful:

5. Yung main classes ba ng Arki (math sci eng) nasa SDA building or pupunta pa sa main building, like in U.P.?

6. Is it true archi students practically own one floor for them sa SDA building ? :bashful:

Last, hahaha :bashful:

7. What's the dress code, i mean i knoe bawal mga showie, pero sa ARKi ba you can wear casual every day? Or my uniform? do you have P.E. uniforms kasi i saw sa pics meron :bashful: Does that mean you have to change from casual to p.e. tas casual ulit?

Thanks !!! :D

Comments

• Hi! (Nearly graduating) 4th year architecture student here! I can answer some of your questions.
    1. To those archi students, is arki a hard course to take? like on a scale 1-10 is it stressful?

There shouldn't be a scale. Although if you really want to guage the difficulty of the program, its way WAY UP there (probably a 9.5 or 10). If you're really dedicated (or just really lazy like me), you're literally going to spend the bulk of your time pulling all-nighters. So yes, its going to be stressful, but what degree isn't? I remember spending 60+ hours straight (Friday-Sunday) preparing my materials (more like cramming) for critique of Design 1. Design 1, and there are 9 more in store. Unlike other architecture schools, we're trained to present our projects in front of professionals (government officials, architects, engineers, developers and sometimes celebrities - I vaguely remember overhearing when Manny Pacquiao almost came over when he was invited to juror a boxing-related project, but pulled out the last minute).
    2. Kasi i live in pasig and it'll prolly take me 1-3 hours to commute there, (i'm a girl btw), and i know kapag arki student medj madami projects like mga scale model so it'll prolly be hard to make hakot right? point is, Kaya ba ? no one trusts me make pa-dorm eh

Yes, its possible. I know people from Pasig who commute everyday and are still able to finish their deliverables on time. Mind you, you'd really need prioritize and manage your time to be as efficient as humanly possible. To be frank, it's really going to be hard, but good thing is, you can work at school before and after classes(esp. with your models, plates, etc), you just really need to manage your time well.
    3. SA sda scholarship portfolio, can i put other works not really related to arki? like sketches of humans and not really structure stuff?

Haha, I'm also an SDA scholar. When I applied, I brought along some photography & graphic design, none of which was related to architecture! The thing is, they're not only judging your portfolio, they're judging your potential for creativity and critical thinking.
    4. Yung froshie year ba may architecture may halo na ba ng arki topic or medj lang? My parents said kasi kpag fresh man and sophomore year, onti lang yung topics ng course mo, more on main subjects like math sci eng... tas once you get to junior ansd senior year, super focused na on Arki..

Here's the syllabus if you want to see the subjects.
    http://www.dls-csb.edu.ph/content/course-flowchart/sda/bsarch-page1.pdf

A bit intimidating, I know. That's what I felt when I was still a freshman. Looking back, those were probably some of the most fun and uninhibited creative moments, when you're just exploring your capacities as a designer. Back to topic, no, its not all minors. Although Design 1 doesn't start till 2nd year, you'll be tackling with Theory, Design Principles, Drafting, Rendering and the stuff you'll need to succeed in the more "severe" architecture classes.
    5. Yung main classes ba ng Arki (math sci eng) nasa SDA building or pupunta pa sa main building, like in U.P.?

If I'm not mistaken, the batches now are blocked all the way through senior year. That being the case, you'll most probably take most of your classes at SDA. (Magsasawa rin kayo sa SDA, minsan masaya rin magklase sa AKIC & Main).
    7. What's the dress code, i mean i knoe bawal mga showie, pero sa ARKi ba you can wear casual every day? Or my uniform? do you have P.E. uniforms kasi i saw sa pics meron Does that mean you have to change from casual to p.e. tas casual ulit?

Yes, with PE, you have the option to change afterwards (although some of us back then just wore it the whole day). With architecture though, you'll probably need a bit more formal-business attire, since you'll be presenting your projects and works literally (yes, literally) every term - although that fact holds true with other degrees.

On that note, I hope you'll not be intimidated by architecture in CSB. Yes it's insanely hard, but the quality of work and dedication you see in every architecture student is evident. You'll also learn to be a critical thinker (which, I think, is a HUGE asset to anyone's capabilities as an individual), have a capacity for lateral thought and at the end of the day, be able to appreciate the built environment you're inhabiting right now. Yes, architecture is hard. Don't think of it as a profession, it's more of a lifestyle. You're expected to work hard even beyond when it's necessary - it's just part of the obligations of this line of work. You can't half-a*s your work and expect it to be praised. Things often get emotional and personal really quickly. Your ego will get crushed along the way. But if you're strong and that's your thing, go for it. I actually find it fun! Haha.

Side note: You'll also need to be more articulate with your words (you'll start to BS your way through every design explanation - at the start haha) although I understand the nature of your inquiry was more of an informal one.

Anyways, if you have any more questions, just post back here, I'd be happy to answer them.

Also, here's the official group page for SDAAR (SDA-Architecture). Check on the albums to see what you're getting into. Good luck! :)
  • Good luck and God Bless :)
  • @Workpotato
    I find your reply in this thread really helpful to those incoming archi frosh here in benilde like me :) I hope I can easily get along to new people I would meet. I am really excited however I still get nervous when I think about the first day of classes without having any acquaintances >\\<
    I hope that I can meet the other archi frosh before the class starts :)
  • Pag tri sem po ba ng architecture mababawasan ba yung years in collage?