Home PEx Lifestyle Home and Garden

House Foundation, is this Deep Enough?

Hello,

I need your expert opinion regarding house construction. Nagpagawa po ako ng 2 story house. I was happy to see na malapit na magbuhos sa foundation. But I'm a bit curious and worried when I saw the steel bars lalo na yung lapad at lalim ng hukay. No idea ako about construction at wala ako ibang matanungan. Sa tingin nyo po, okay lang kaya ito? Hindi ba manipis at mababaw? Ano po ba ang standard na sukat sa paghuhukay? Thanks in advance.

2ARmUzd.jpg

NaWSIKO.jpg

jrr5t4d.jpg

Ganito po yung ginagawang house.

0DffhS0.jpg

Comments

• What did the structural plan say?

The pics seem to suggest that the excavation was not deep enough. Did you measure the depth?

As a rule of thumb, the measurement should start from the Natural Grade Line (NGL), and not from the top soil (as what appears on the pictures).

Have this checked by structural engineer before it's too late.
  • Just to add. It is advisable to do the soil test first because the structural plan would largely depend on its result.

Please see an example of our excavation. Take note that our NGL is around 0.4m from the ground surface.

P1220393.jpg
  • Hindi po binibigay yung structural plan. Confidential daw po eh. Hindi ko po nasukat *** lalim, pero estimate ko meter po ata from the top of the soil.
  • BeerhandBopBeerhandBop PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    yung sa baba ba ang pic nung sa foundation mo?

if yes, that is deep enough. saka malalake naman yung mga deform bars. also from the look of it, bato naman yung ground.. so pwede na yan.

finally, it's just 2 storeys.. should be okay until 9 meters high. :)
    edit: holy $hi7.. yung first pic pala ng sa ts.

no. that is a bad foundation. may structural plan ka ba? sinong gumawa?

"Hindi po binibigay yung structural plan. Confidential daw po eh. Hindi ko po nasukat *** lalim, pero estimate ko meter po ata from the top of the soil."

you own the house, you own the structural plan. it is your god [email protected] given right to see everything.
    seriously, that foundation of yours isn't even good enough for me to build a fence on.
  • Eustass wrote: »
    Hindi po binibigay yung structural plan. Confidential daw po eh. Hindi ko po nasukat *** lalim, pero estimate ko meter po ata from the top of the soil.

That's incredible. Of course you must have a copy.

The structural plan is arguably the most important component of your building plan. Definitely more important than the architectural plan.

I strongly suggest that you have your construction works checked by a structural engineer.

Your structure should at least meet the NSCP standard at the minimum, preferably exceeds it.
  • hi sir mam/eustass , based po sa first pic hindi visible yung depth ng column footing, ang visible lang ay yung hukay ng wall footing (sa practice ang lalim ng wall footing is about 0.6m equivalent to 3chb) pero depende pa din kung ano ang nakalagay sa plano(structural), better check the structural plan and hindi pwedeng confidential ito,. based on my observation mukang developer ang gumagawa ng house nyo with their contractor, ask ko lang kung sa augusta ito? thanks - engr. henry
  • gotta lick itgotta lick it PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    simpleng tanong TS:

ano kasaad sa soil test report ng geodetic engineer mo?

do not just rely on hearsay.
    ^ i think they bought that house from a developer... kaya hindi pinapakita sa kanila ang building plans. soil testing is only required for houses 3 storeys and up.

ts, you can write to the building official about your concern if [email protected] padin yung kausap mo.
    ts, it is up to you.

a structural engineer would require to have a soil test from a geodetic engineer and he will base his computation on the recommendation of his peer irregardless if it is 2 storey house or 42 storeys.

the real estate developer is not the one responsible for providing the soil test. the test is not part of the fee of the architect and engineer but it is a must and the owner will shoulder the expenses.

for the bore test, the engineer will instruct the location his bore holes near the location of the foundations. the geodetic engineer will examine the composition of the soil.

inggats sa hearsay. parang walang column foundations yun picture mo. it only looks like a wall footing. but, if the third picture is your column rebars then the size of the excavation for the foundation is too small. the minimum size of a wall footing is 200x300. just ask any the engineers.
  • AzulbanirpalAzulbanirpal PEx Rookie ⭐
    The reinforcing bars looks too thin, depth of wall footing is shallow, also parang walang footing for columns.
    Get a qualified structural engineer to check their work!
  • Based on the pictures posted, hindi lang foundation ang dapat mo ikabahala kundi yung whole structural design and construction in general. Column size and rebars are inadequate (can pass as toothpicks IMHO) column ties does not comply with minimum standard requirements. God knows pano pa ang girders and slabs niyan. In normal loading conditions siguradong tatayo naman yang bahay na yan (sana) pero for extreme environmental conditions like earthquake/typhoon tumakbo ka na palabas.
    bilang na lang ninyo yun bakla. puro bottom bars lang. it is a wall footing.
  • bilang na lang ninyo yun bakla. puro bottom bars lang. it is a wall footing.

But then again, as a rule, 2 storey structures do not require top bars for the column footing.