Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

The Gunman (Starring Sean Penn)

forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
“TAKEN” DIRECTOR TAKES UP SEAN PENN AS LATEST ACTION HERO IN “THE GUNMAN”
via press release

the%20gunman%20poster.jpg

Known for his gripping, unforgettable roles, Academy Award winner Sean Penn joins forces with “Taken” director Pierre Morrel in a role unlike any he has done before in the explosive action thriller “The Gunman” that will open in Philippine cinemas nationwide on March 18.

In the vein of edge-of-your seat thrillers “Taken” and “Non-Stop,” director Morrel, known for transforming Liam Neeson into a bonafide action hero brings another up and rising action hero in Sean Penn in the testosterone-driven movie “The Gunman.” Penn stars Jim Terrier, an ex-special forces government contractor who past comes back to haunt him when his former employer tries to have him killed. On the run and thrust into a inescapable game of cat and mouse chase, Terrier races from the jungles of Africa to the streets of London and the vibrant city of Barcelona in a deadly mission to flush out the people who want him dead. Terrier knows there is only one way to save himself – he must bring down one of the world’s most powerful organizations and face a dangerous enemy from his past in a nerve-shattering showdown that only one man will survive.

From recent interviews, Penn shared his insights on the movie, "Here's the funny thing, calling it an 'action film' is kind of like calling Meryl Streep a sexy blonde chick. She is. But that really doesn't tell the story of what she is at all. I don't separate this in my mind from anything else I have done. It's a very human story that deals with the same things exploited in action films, like warfare. I have seen people in this line of work at work. That does inform what we're doing here."

Fast-paced action that amps up the bullets, explosions and bare-knuckled punches, “The Gunman” also boasts of an impressive cast including Javier Bardem, Idris Elba and Mark Rylance.

Comments

• forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    PENN GOES RAMBO
    via press release

JF_The_Gunman_Prem_070.jpg

If the past 30 years in film has taught us anything, it’s that age is nothing but a number for actions star. In fact being under 40 is virtually anathema to starring as an action hero. Just look at Liam Neeson(62),Bruce Willis(59)- in fact, the 16 members of the Expendables 3 cast have more than 850 years between them. And now you can add Sean Penn to the list of actors laughing in the face of Father Time. In his latest film, TheGunman, the 54 – year – old stars as Jim Terrier, an assassin and former Special Forces soldier who is forced to go on the run across Europe after being betrayed by the shadowy organization he works for.

If you’re worried about Penn’s action – man inexperience; don’t be – alongside co-star Idris Elba, exclusively pictured here, we can assure you that there are chase scenes, gunfights and explosions galore. After all the film’s directed by Taken’s Pierre Morel and also stars Hollywood’s favourite hitman, Javier Bardem.

Base on French crime novelistJean - Patrick Manchette’s book La Position du Tireur Couche(which translate as ‘The Prone Gunman’). It’s out in March, making for a rather tantalizing springtime cinema treat.
  • PEx_MoviesPEx_Movies Administrator PEx Admin
    [center-hidden]CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE PROMO
    movieimage.jpg[/center-hidden]
    International action thriller The Gunman stars Sean Penn and unites the two time Academy Award® winning actor with an extraordinary, unconventional ensemble cast including Javier Bardem, Idris Elba, Ray Winstone, Mark Rylance and Jasmine Trinca. The Gunman is based on the novel The Prone Gunman by Jean-Patrick Manchette and is directed by acclaimed French helmer Pierre Morel.
    The compelling script is written by Peter Travis, Don McPherson, and Sean Penn and produced by Silver Pictures, Andrew Rona, and Sean Penn. The film is fully financed by Studiocanal who handled worldwide sales and will distribute it in its territories. Open Road will distribute the film in the US.
    Sean Penn stars as Jim Terrier, an ex-special forces government contractor who is betrayed by the organization he once worked for, and must go on the run in a relentless game of cat and mouse across Africa and Europe.
    The cast also includes Javier Bardem, Academy Award® winner for No Country for Old Men, and co-star of Bond’s film Skyfall; Idris Elba, winner of the Golden Globe for his title role in television series Luther and most recently seen in Pacific Rim and Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom; Ray Winstone, a veteran of UK and international films, including Sexy Beast, The Sweeny and The Departed; Mark Rylance, twice winner of the Olivier and Tony Awards for Jerusalem and the Twelfth Night; and Italian actress Jasmine Trinca, who has won multiple awards for her film debut

in Nanni Moretti's The Son’s Room, a 2013 Globi d’Oro (Italian Golden Globes) and a 2013 Nastro d’Argento for her role in Valeria Golino’s Miele. Director Pierre Morel launched the successful and highly-acclaimed Taken franchise, which established Liam Neeson as one of the most sought after action stars.
    Executive producers include Olivier Courson and Ron Halpern for Studiocanal, Andrew Rona, Silver Pictures, Peter McAleese, Sean Penn, and Adrian Guerra for Nostromo Pictures.The Gunman was shot in multiple locations including: Barcelona, Spain, London and Africa.

PROMO DETAILS:
    Prize: Advance Screening Tickets, 5 Pairs
    Where: Megamall Cinema 6
    When: March 17,2015. 6PM
    Duration March 3 - 16, 2015
    Channels: Thread, Form, and Facebook

There will be three (3) winners in the Thread Promo, One (1) winner in the Form Promo, One (1) winner in the Facebook Promo who will win a pair of advance screening tickets to GUNMAN which will be held on March 17, 2015 (Tuesday) 7PM at SM Megamall Cinema 6.
    [CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
    • March 16 - Three (3) winners in the Thread Promo, One (1) winner in the Form Promo, One (1) winner in the Facebook Promo
    [/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
    ANSWER THE FORM PROMO!
    1. Promo is open to all PinoyExchange members.
    2. Participants should answer the form promo movie question correctly.
      Participants can submit one entry per day only.
    3. Winners will be picked randomly by inputting all entries in an excel sheet and picking a number using a randomizer (www.random.org).
    4. Get a chance to win two (2) advance screening tickets to GUNMAN on March 17, 2015 (Tuesday) 7PM at SM Megamall Cinema 6, courtesy of PinoyExchange.
      - One (1) winner of two (2) advance screening tickets to GUNMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE will be chosen on the given dates above.
    5. Winners will be notified via Direct Message. Winners can claim the prizes in the PinoyExchange office in Makati City, Mon-Fri 10:00AM-7:00PM (except holidays) or during the screening event (confirmation of attendance is required).
    ANSWER THE THREAD PROMO!
    1. Promo is open to all PinoyExchange members.
    2. Participants should answer the thread promo movie question correctly.
      Participants can submit one entry per question per day only.
    3. Winners will be picked randomly by inputting all entries in an excel sheet and picking a number using a randomizer (www.random.org).
    4. Get a chance to win two (2) advance screening tickets to GUNMAN on March 17, 2015 (Tuesday) 7PM at SM Megamall Cinema 6.
      - Three (3) winners of two (2) advance screening tickets to GUNMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE will be chosen on the given dates above.
    5. Winners will be notified via Direct Message. Winners can claim the prizes in the PinoyExchange office in Makati City, Mon-Fri 10:00AM-7:00PM (except holidays) or during the screening event (confirmation of attendance is required).
    JOIN THE FACEBOOK PROMO!
    1. Promo is open to all PinoyExchange followers on Facebook.
      Participants must like the PinoyExchange Facebook account: Click here to to the PEx FB Page.
    2. Participants should answer the thread promo movie question correctly.
      Participants can submit one entry per question per day only.
    4. Get a chance to win two (2) advance screening tickets to GUNMAN March 17, 2015 (Tuesday) 7PM at SM Megamall Cinema 6.
    5. Winners will be notified via Direct Message. Winners can claim the prizes in the PinoyExchange office in Makati City, Mon-Fri 10:00AM-7:00PM (except holidays) or during the screening event (winner must confirm attendance first).
    [center-hidden]movie-ticket.jpg[/center-hidden]
    [center-hidden]JOIN THE FORM PROMO:
    GUNMAN 'WIN ADVANCE SCREENING TICKETS' FORM PROMO

JOIN THE THREAD PROMO:
    GUNMAN 'WIN ADVANCE SCREENING TICKETS' THREAD PROMO[/center-hidden]
    [center-hidden]JOIN THE FACEBOOK PROMO:
    GUNMAN 'WIN ADVANCE SCREENING TICKETS' FACEBOOK PROMO[/center-hidden]

Three (3) winners in the Thread Promo, One (1) winner in the Form Promo, One (1) winner in the Facebook Promo
    • March 16 - Three (3) winners in the Thread Promo, One (1) winner in the Form Promo, One (1) winner in the Facebook Promo
    View the Movie Trailer here:
    GUNMAN Movie Trailer
    Read the Movie Review here:
    GUNMAN Movie Review
    Discuss the movie here:
    GUNMAN Movie Thread

IN CINEMAS MARCH 18, 2015
    Like us on Facebook / Follow us on Twitter
    SEAN PENN AND JAVIER BARDEM FACE-OFF IN NON-STOP ACTION FIGHT SCENES IN “THE GUNMAN”
    via press release

sean%20penn%20and%20javier%20bardem%20THE%20GUNMAN.jpg

The latest high-octane action movie starring Academy Award winner Sean Penn in his first action role in “The Gunman” that pits him against Academy Award winner actor Javier Bardem where Penn headlines as Jim Terrier, an ex-special forces government contractor who is betrayed by the organization he once worked for and goes on a relentless cat and mouse game across Africa and Europe.

Helmed by director Pierre Morel, director of “Taken” where Liam Neeson was catapulted to full-action star status, Pierre once again launches and elevates the action genre and takes on Sean Penn as his latest action hero to beat. “The Gunman” is a dynamic and exciting action film produced by Silver Pictures that reinvented Hollywood blockbuster action movie with “Lethal Weapon” and “Die Hard” franchises, with “Matrix” that pushed the genre even further. Now, with “The Gunman,” the producers, director and actors create a whole new challenge upping the action genre notch higher than its predecessors.

Based on the bestselling novel “The Prone Gunman” by Jean-Patrick Manchette, “The Gunman” follows Terrier on a wave of rush on a nearby beach of an African village. He runs Jim Terrier rides a wave on nearby beach of an African village. He runs towards the NGO office where he’s assisting with providing clean water to the villagers. Soon the piercing sound of a bullet exits a sniper’s rifle. Shortly after, news reports flood the TV with images of the assassination of the minister of mining; genocide and civil war begins.

Terrier is convinced that the attack on him is connected to his old firm. Eight years ago, Terrier and his associates, were paid to execute the Minister of Mining of the Democratic Republic of Congo. As he begins to connect the dots as to who ordered the hit, he discovers that his old boss and former comrade now works for the company that contracted them to complete the assassination and now finds himself dealing with his actions of the past and present.

Sean Penn shares on taking his latest action role, “We always felt there was chemistry to be explored. Based on the choices I’ve made, and the material they have gone after, there had probably been a missing link that we’ve been looking for to make a movie together. Silver Pictures is notorious as a bulldog who gets things done. In everything we do, we are trying to make it the best we can, and with Silver Pictures it goes even beyond that.”

When Penn boarded the project, he immediately sat down with the scriptwriters to update and expand the character of Jim Terrier, an ex-special forces military man who then took on jobs as a mercenary contractor. “I’ve always looked at movies as individual movies, rather than genre. What we have here is by definition territory that is going to involve a lot of dynamic cinema, we are dealing with a high-octane environment, but there is a lot of the real world,” Penn further shares of the film’s theme.

Get ready for the latest action hero when “The Gunman” opens March 18 in cinemas nationwide from OctoArts Films.
  • C.I.C.C.IC.I.C.C.I PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Paperback
    155 pages
    Copyright translation 2002
    Copyright 1981 La Position du tireur couche

THE PRONE GUNMAN - Jean-Patrick Manchette

lc.jpg

Martin Terrier is a hired killer who wants out of the game --- so he can settle down and marry his childhood sweetheart. After all, that's why he took up this profession! But "the company's won't let him go: they have other plans. Once again, the gunman must assume the prone fighting position. A tour de force, this violent tale shatters as many illusions about life and politics as it does bodies.
    SEAN PENN IN A BADASSS ACTION HERO ROLE IN “THE GUNMAN”
    via press release

VISU_CM-18D.jpg

Veering away from formulaic action thrillers known to audiences worldwide, Sean Penn and director Pierre Morel (“Taken”) amps and reinvigorates the action genre in the upcoming badass movie “The Gunman.”

“The Gunman” apart from being helmed by Morel, known for launching the highly-acclaimed “Taken” franchise which made Liam Neeson a worldwide

badass action hero, is also written by Peter Travis, Don McPherson and Sean Penn.
    Penn takes on the role of Jim Terrier in “The Gunman,” an ex-special forces government contractor who is hailed as the best in his league but also bears a questionable past. Now working as a humanitarian with an NGO trying to make a better life and redeem himself. But Jim’s past soon catches up when associates from his past come back to hunt and kill him.

Based on the acclaimed French novel, “The Prone Gunman” written in the eightees by Jean-Patrick Manchette, the producers were attracted by the aura of action-focused film noir where men like Jim exist. “The book had the basics of a classic thriller and although the script brings the action up to date, there is grounding in reality. I’m not interested in Superman. I like to work with human beings, with their flaws. Terrier is real, and he has limitations,” notes director Morel.

About his lead actor, Morel says, “Often, action films lack deep thoughtful characters but Sean’s body of work is so interesting that casting him immediately makes the story more dense. Once actors of his stature decide to engage in this genre, like Liam Neeson in ‘Taken,’ they want to do things for themselves. They want to go all the way for the character, and I encourage this. I don’t think an audience can be fooled any more. Sean trained for hours every day, from preproduction throughout the shoot, and that adds another layer of intensity to the role.”

Penn who has devoted time to humanitarian works especially in Haiti says that “The Gunman” is a very human story, “The territory that the story inhabits is a pretty high octane environment. You are taking someone coming out of the elite forces, basically a high performing athlete who has had a career full of hits, and putting him into another league to do it all again as a contractor, or mercenary, when he retires from the forces. What happens next is inherently interesting and can be very moving. I’ve met people like Jim, conflicted characters on the front line, and that informs the dialogue and the action. We have a whole new breed of war heroes who go on to continue in the same line of work, outside the forces,” shares Penn.

“The Gunman is full of things you’ve never seen before. I always like to do things that are fresh and original,” says producer Andrew Rona. “This has romance, and an action character pulled back into a world he has left. It is full of twists and turns. A good story, good characters, a strong movie star surrounded by an interesting cast, a good director, a talented crew and a great city,” concludes Rona of “The Gunman.”

Prepare for this year’s unique action movie to open this year when “The Gunman” opens March 18 in cinemas across the Phils. from OctoArts Films International.
    SEAN PENN’S “THE GUNMAN” IS THIS GENERATION’S ACTION ICON
    via press release

1505330_797304630350489_2072922690344874637_n.jpg?oh=8d8e6af4a2d11dd8c6eecb66191e5815&oe=55B86FC0

Movie fans, critics and reviewers have unanimously gushed on Sean Penn’s latest 8-pack and chiselled bod in his latest testosterone-fueled action movie “The Gunman.”

Penn takes on his latest challenging role in “The Gunman” as Jim Terrier where he works as a humanitarian in an African village providing people with potable water. In one ordinary day, Jim finds himself riding on a wave of panic among his peers and the rest of the village when three armed men storm through the village demanding to see him. As he approaches, it becomes clear that the men are out to kill him. Escaping the armed men, Jim finds out that someone has put a price on his head. Jim then travels to London to connect with an old comrade and close friend, Stanley (Ray Winstone) who reluctantly agrees to help him discover who hired the hit.

Actor Ray Winstone, who plays Jim’s close friend, is much admired by Penn and the producers. He brings a level of grittiness and reality to the movie and was Sean’s first choice to play the role of Stanley. His role is a broken, grizzly, paranoid man living alone, pulled in by Jim to help him. “The warrior bond and friendship between Jim and Stanley who have been part of a brotherhood is also a driving force in the movie,” says producer Andrew Rona.

Winstone himself sums up Sean Penn’s career simply, “He’s a clever boy. I’ve never seen him in a bad film, and I can’t remember seeing him bad in any film, so that’s a good place to start from. I’m lucky enough to have worked with some great actors over the years, but I’m still excited to work with Sean. It keeps you on the ball,” Winstone says of Penn.

He further comments on Penn’s preparation for the role, “Sean is in fantastic shape. Sean is only a few years younger than me, but where he has an eight-pack , I’ve got a party pack!,” Winston laughingly shares.

And of the film, Winstone shares that “I like a good thriller. I don’t need to watch a comedy, I can make myself laugh. I want something to make me think, a bit of action, and I want to see performances. Here, we’ve got it all – script and performances.”

As for is role, Penn notes that “Jim is a guy who has a questionable past. You don’t really know where he comes from. You know that he’s a former military guy. He’s had a special training and he’s operated in some very dark places. In the film, he is trying to make a better life after that and he’s trying to redeem himself. People are trying to kill him and he’s called into action. He has to use the skills that he has trained in to survive and prove his innocence.”

“The Gunman” shoots into theatres this March 18 from OctoArts Films International.
  • jesjmanjesjman PEx Rookie ⭐
    [JUSTIFY][CENTER-HIDDEN]J3kHwiX.jpg?1[/CENTER-HIDDEN]

Philippine Release: March 18, 2015
    Directors: Pierre Morel
    Cast: Sean Penn, Javier Bardem, Jasmine Trinca

Apparently, thriller movies starring middle-aged action heroes are now a fad in Hollywood, with the likes of Sean Penn joining in on the action. In fact, the only novel thing about the movie “The Gunman” is you get to see Sean Penn star in an action movie. And that is pretty much it. Sure you get the good stuff from Penn and Bardem, and a production budget to boot. But the premise, while not even special in the first place, is poorly executed with insipid and confusing narration.

Sean Penn stars as Jim Terrier, a former Special Forces soldier turned military contractor suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). After leaving his old life, he finds out there are people who want him dead. He travels from London to Barcelona and across Europe to find out who they are and why, and hopefully, clear his name along the way so he can reconnect with the love of his life.

[CENTER-HIDDEN]JDy6qOx.jpg?1[/CENTER-HIDDEN]

For some reason, my comprehension was crummy when I watched Gunman because I kept missing a lot of key points to the story. Like why was Javier Bardem’s character – supposedly a businessman – talking to Jim Terrier during a covert operation? Why was the Interpol involved in all of this, etc.? And when the film finally answers my questions, the explanations leave me unsettled. As if I want more time to simmer in the details before moving on to the next sequence. The plot holes scattered throughout the movie don’t really help too. I also wish there are more intense and mesmerizing action sequences, instead of mostly watching a bunch of men shooting guns that don’t recoil at each other.

[CENTER-HIDDEN]PwyKw34.png?1[/CENTER-HIDDEN]

It was obvious that the movie was made for Sean Penn to showcase his range and versatility, not that he needs more films to prove that. He makes a tender performance as Terrier whose PTSD gives a human and realistic touch to the character. Javier Bardem is –even if typecast as a villain – is effective and entertaining. Gunman does not scrimp on production value as well, shooting all over Europe and parts of Africa.

[CENTER-HIDDEN]GvgWEiC.jpg?1[/CENTER-HIDDEN]

The movie could have been executed well, given that it already had the marketing pull of Sean Penn and Javier Bardem. The plot leaves unsettling explanations to an already weak premise, and the suspense and intensity of the film fall a bit short. While the talent from the two male leads is undeniable, Gunman feels like a run of the mill thriller flick that goes with the middle-aged action Hollywood trend. [/JUSTIFY]

Rating: 5/10

[CENTER-HIDDEN]5756494783_13ef5406da_m.jpg[/CENTER-HIDDEN]

The Gunman is showing at theaters nationwide on March 18, 2015.

Discuss the movie in The Gunman thread.
    oh no!!!

It's currently at 8% at Rotten Tomatoes

:(
  • Laurence_writerLaurence_writer PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Saw it last night at the advance screening in Megamall. Will tell more later or by tomorrow. There was even a marriage proposal that happened in the cinema before the movie started. And Cesar Montano also came to watch along with a lady friend (not the one that Sunshine said was Cesar's mistress).
    Ooooppppps
  • ScareYouOftenScareYouOften Moderator PEx Moderator
    Saw this a while ago, here's what I can say.:

There's nothing much to say about 'The Gunman', but I'll keep going until I've said too much for an action flick that deserves an assessment no more than a "disaster".

001_gunman_poster.jpg

It will be a real wonder to be able to find something that is of any interest through the movie's entire two hours. The film itself strikes as a mere guessing game that pushes the audience to asking themselves which asset (if there's any) it actually aims to present: the badass hitman story the writers seem to claim the film has, or Sean Penn's overexposed shirtless bulging physique. Unfortunately, two hours isn't enough to achieve a sensible answer, as both eventually grow to become extremely irritating toward the end of the film. A handful of overqualified actors and aesthetic settings may come across as efforts to salvage the wreckage, but none of this attempts seems to have manifested an evident result. The plot is plagued with predictability and clich?s, but bears no real shocker twists to shake its overly familiar course.

'The Gunman' feels like just another attempt to make another Liam Neeson out of another over-50 star. Unfortunately, with its utterly thin and convolutedly-written material, the result is neither near 'convincing', nor far from 'misfire'. Ok, I've said more than too much already. I give this movie, 4/10 stars.